General Discussion Triathlon Talk » NYC Tri Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-11-21 3:10 PM

User image

Woodstock, Illinois
Subject: NYC Tri
I entered the lottery for the NYC Tri figuring I had no chance and was shocked to find out that I got selected. It's my first time going to NYC and I'm looking for suggestions on where to stay and what to expect from the course.

2013-11-21 9:25 PM
in reply to: jcwise

User image

Regular
Ballston Spa
Subject: RE: NYC Tri
Wow, that's awesome.
2013-11-22 4:44 AM

User image

Long Island, NY
Originally posted by jcwise

I entered the lottery for the NYC Tri figuring I had no chance and was shocked to find out that I got selected. It's my first time going to NYC and I'm looking for suggestions on where to stay and what to expect from the course.

X2
2013-11-26 8:28 AM

User image

Master
New Jersey
not sure about hotels, but the course...

Crowds.

There are 2 groupings of "waves". Think it's like 90 minutes between first and last starters.
The early waves usually get REALLY fast current. The later waves only get fast current.
Water isn't as bad quality as people make it seem.

Bike route has some hills. There are spots you can fly. It's crowded though, especially since you're catching up to slower riders.
Steep short hill to start the bike...people seem to never expect this and they're in the wrong gears and are weaving.

The run starts with flat run to Central Park. Wide open. It's set up like they expect a billion runners/spectators, yet I've only seen it quite sparse.
The park is hilly.

The finish is nice...lots of cheering spectators.
But then you gotta walk back to get your transition stuff (or wait in line for a bike-taxi).

Overall, a fun race. But you gotta deal with crowds. It's NYC.
Pre-race meeting is mandatory and it's the day before, plus you gotta check your bike by the evening, so you're doing a lot of walking to get everywhere.
Invariably, there's a thunderstorm overnight that soaks your bike.
2013-11-27 8:29 AM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
Have you been to New York before? I'd pick a hotel based somewhat on how comfortable you'd be navigating the city. The host hotel is usually the Hilton and it's really nice, but probably pricey even with the group discount. If you're new to the city, I'd try to stay north of, say, 34th St. and west of 5th avenue. There are a lot of hotels in that area to choose from. Hotels in NYC are not cheap, especially in the summer, but you should be able to find something fairly reasonable. Stick with one of the national chains.

Definitely make sure you attend one of the transition tours before the race. The guides will walk you through the transition entrances and exits and show you the key points of interest around the transition area, including that short but steep hill that was mentioned below.

The bike course has some challenging hills in spots, though there are no long, punishing climbs. Of of the most challenging aspects is that there's a 180-turn at about mile 23 that's followed by a short, punchy hill. Since you have to slow way down to go around the hairpin, you have to attack the climb with almost no momentum at all, and, again, it's late in the course, so you'll be on somewhat tired legs. I've definitely seen some people struggling to get back up to speed as they climb it.

The first mile of the run across 72nd is flat (and unshaded and hot), and if you're in an early wave, the crowds will be pretty thick and LOUD as you cross 72nd street. It's an amazing environment, and almost unheard of in a short-course race. As the waves wear on, the crowds on 72nd thin out considerably, but the crowds at the finish pick up. Once you get into the park, the course gets quite hilly with one long descent and one long steep uphill at about mile 3.5. There are very few flat sections in the park. There are plenty of aid stations, and at least one spray station, which are awesome, because August in NYC can be brutal. If you're an MOP-er in one of the later waves, you could easily be approaching noon by the time you near the finish on the run,and it starts getting hot as soon as the sun comes up.

It's a good race for spectators, although you can't really watch the bike section easily. Spectators can walk along the river as you swim downstream, but they can't get near transition. After you exit the swim, they can go out onto 72nd and watch you run past, and then go into the park and head for the finish line and wait for you there. There's a reuinion area after you pass through the finish area where it's easy to find your cheering secttion. The expo the day before and the finish line festival are both awesome, though both can get crowded.

The race is a lot like New York itself-- it's crowded, expensive, and can be a logistical pain in the neck, but there's really nothing else like it. Have fun!
2013-12-02 12:08 PM
in reply to: jmk-brooklyn

User image

Woodstock, Illinois
Thanks for the info. This will be my first trip to NYC, so I'm somewhat intimidated. All information is greatly appreciated!

2013-12-03 3:42 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Westchester, NY
I entered and did not get in.
I guess 3x is enough for one race.

I did it in 2008-2010

I thought maybe "once more into the breach" .. But alas.. It looks like IMPrinceton 70.3 here I come..
2013-12-12 2:45 PM
in reply to: louamerica

User image

Woodstock, Illinois
Does anyone have any idea how many enter the lottery and how many actually get in? I'm relatively new to tris and this is the first time I've entered the NYC.
2013-12-19 8:09 AM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
Originally posted by jcwise

Does anyone have any idea how many enter the lottery and how many actually get in? I'm relatively new to tris and this is the first time I've entered the NYC.

Its a huge race--4,000 people or so. Out of that, you'll have a small percentage that gets in via volunteering or charity slots or whatever. I would say unscientifically that something like 2/3 of the people that I know who enter the lottery get in.
2014-01-09 11:44 AM
in reply to: jmk-brooklyn

User image

Woodstock, Illinois
Thanks Brooklyn!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » NYC Tri Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

NYC TRI - who's doin' it? Pages: 1 2

Started by jackxter
Views: 3098 Posts: 42

2008-07-19 6:19 PM jmk-brooklyn

NYC TRI Early registration?

Started by scottradny
Views: 1280 Posts: 17

2008-04-23 3:52 PM Lonnytogatri

2008 NYC Tri

Started by tricantrell
Views: 945 Posts: 5

2007-09-27 8:20 AM tricantrell

NYC tri on July 22

Started by Ontherun
Views: 782 Posts: 2

2007-03-27 9:34 PM 1st Timer in NY

Nautica NYC Tri - Hudson River

Started by dinae
Views: 1137 Posts: 3

2006-10-31 6:54 PM scottradny
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 11, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 6
I just finished the NYC marathon on Sunday and I think I'm going to venture into triathlons. I am doing an Olympic distance and I want to do a 70.3 next year too. Any advice?

date : January 1, 2008
author : agrace
comments : 4
I couldn’t help but feel that the race had beaten me. Perhaps duathlons were more for me? No, I was more determined than ever to succeed. I was determined to get on top of my swimming.
date : December 31, 2006
author : docgill
comments : 0
This life of mine is not so different from yours. It has a multitude of similarities. I suffer from uncertainty, I get nervous at the thought of registering and when getting to the starting line.

date : May 1, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 9
I am not going to buy a tri-suit before my first tri - I want to make sure I am going to stick with this before I spend a lot of money on it so I want to figure out what will work best.
date : November 27, 2005
author : spetremears
9 weeks after my first bike ride, 5 months after my first swim and 13 months after my surgery I entered the Nelson week Tri a Tri !

date : September 3, 2005
author : aloufan
I couldn't believe that my splits kept getting lower! I started to run harder after I passed the "5 km" sign and picked a few people that I wanted to pass.
date : October 10, 2004
author : Team BT
The ONLY way to compete in my first triathlon was to do it on my BMX. I’m no professional—nor do I aspire to be one, I just want to be fit and healthy.

date : October 3, 2004
author : adumey
One of my fears, besides the radioactive material content of the Hudson River, was the water temperature. I found the water was much warmer as I inched closer to the holding dock.