General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Winter Motivation? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-11-21 10:29 PM

User image

, California
Subject: Winter Motivation?
Now that the tri season is over, what keeps you motivated through the winter? I am finding I have a big aversion to the gym these days and just want to be outside. What keeps you going when you move your workouts from the great outdoors to the inside of your gym/home?

2013-11-21 11:13 PM
in reply to: Trbilbao

User image

Master
Salt Lake City
Subject: RE: Winter Motivation?
Something about the consistency and predictability of indoor workouts keeps me very motivated and consistent over the winter. I settle into a routine and don't worry about much other than getting the workout in.
2013-11-22 5:34 AM

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
For me, the key to winter training is cross training. By adding other sports, XC skiing, snowshoe racing, downhill skiing, etc. I can reduce the time I spend o the bike and run, and still maintain fitness. Because I my cycling on a trainer, I can also be very specific in what and how I train, which means that you can get greater results in a reduced time.
2013-11-22 5:44 AM

User image

Veteran
Pittsburgh, PA
I always train for an early-spring half marathon. Don't know where you're at, but I'm in PA and I can run outside for 90+% of my runs. Once in a while there's a deep snow that hasn't been cleaned up on a particular day, or it's icy, or cold rain, but for the most part even if it's snowed there's someplace I can run safely.
It keeps me motivated and keeps me outside, which makes the winter go by more easily. The suggestion about outdoor sports is a good one too.
2013-11-22 7:08 AM

User image

Master
Bloomington, MN

I will register for at least a couple of races and that helps motivate me. I am in MN and the winters can be rough. Getting outside in Jan/Feb can be tricky so the treadmill is my friend. Actually a necessity not so much a friend. Cross training is great as others have said. I also try to focus on some core strength training. Mix it up a little. Keep visiting BT for inspiration!

2013-11-22 7:17 AM
in reply to: Buckshot

User image

Veteran
New Hampshire
I use my last race from the year before as motivation. Every time I step outside/on the bike/into the pool I'm doing more to perform better than last year. Having a good TV series for the trainer is a must too

2013-11-22 7:31 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Ontario Canada
I don't Lose motivation in the winter for the most part, the only activity that really changes for me Is the bike, for this I do a combination of a group Bike class once a week for 3 hrs and this year I set up trainer road with suffer fest for my indoor riding to try to overcome the boredom, I have always run outside right thru our Canadian winters and rarely miss a run day due to weather, if I have to I will use my TM but it doesn't get used that much maybe 4 times a year. AS for swimming I Add an extra day to make it 4 days a week instead of 3 and drop a bike workout over the winter but the rides that I do tend to be longer then I would do in season.

I actually train harder and get in more Hrs over the winter then once the better weather gets better because other things tend to get in the way of training then. Some Group workouts with the tri club help as well.

Edited by RRH_88 2013-11-22 7:32 AM
2013-11-22 8:34 AM

User image

DC
May not be an option for everyone b/c of brutal weather... but w/the right equipment, many of us can still get out on the bike.This year in particular, I have committed myself to spending more time on the bike--outdoors. Sub-20 degrees has been totally doable. So, getting on a bike while everyone is "freezing" is proving to be a great motivator for me. (Running outdoors is obviously less of an issue.)

Gym-wise, I like to build-up aesthetic muscle over the winter which is doable since I'm not SBR as much as in the summer.
2013-11-22 8:37 AM

User image

Veteran
Greenville, SC

Originally posted by Trbilbao Now that the tri season is over, what keeps you motivated through the winter? I am finding I have a big aversion to the gym these days and just want to be outside. What keeps you going when you move your workouts from the great outdoors to the inside of your gym/home?

it is nice to hear someone else struggling with this issue as well.  I went one week trying to maintain a slightly less intensity of my training and I could not...I go so demotivated and still am now.  Right now I am running maybe twice a week and that is it....I 

2013-11-22 8:48 AM
in reply to: TriGuy05

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

The podium.

2013-11-22 8:59 AM
in reply to: dmiller5

User image

Veteran
Waukegan, IL
Early spring marathon.

And....

Originally posted by dmiller5

The podium.

2013-11-22 9:24 AM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

The podium.

Follow on question, then, if I may. (not a total hijack here - just a specific circumstance).

Last season was my first full of tri.  I saw steady progress all year and started to lay down what were, for me, excellent times (front door, if limited, brag - multiple podiums in my AG in the smaller races.  Still certainly not a contender in BIG ones), and I was VERY happy with the results over the season.

My motivation problem now comes from the time it took to do that.  While I was putting in LOTS of hours last year, and enjoying it, my wife was also ramping up for a marathon - and we missed most of what we usually do in the summer (didn't get out on the boat with kids at all, etc.).  We did some nice tri-travel for the whole family, so it was a good summer for sure, but just different.

Now facing next season, it feels like I have to INCREASE the training hours to see any improvements, or match it for similar performance.  My motivation is flagging because I only have so many summers with the kids before they won't want to hang with the 'rents!  The uncertainty of what it will feel like to complete rather than compete saps a bit of my mojo...  Kind of like, "Meh, what's the point?  I'll just mail in the training..." 

Any tips?

I'd answer myself with, "Make your choice for the year.  Live with it and be happy with it.  Shoot for the podium if you can manage the time, or just participate if you can't - and live with it, jackazz."     Tough for a type A to do, though...  Any strategies??

Thanks!

Matt

TLDR:  Can you stay motivated all winter if you are planning to scale back to well below what you know you can do next season, or will the thought of posting times worse than last year eat at your immature, small mind all winter?    Wow, I sound like a head case!  Truth. 

2013-11-22 9:25 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

The podium.

Yep.  

2013-11-22 9:33 AM

The podium.

That's it! I also registered for IMTX 2014, I keep imagining that I hear the announcer saying, "Summer, you are an ironman!"
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Winter Motivation? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

what socks do you wear during winter running(Canadian winter) :) Pages: 1 2

Started by jamiemutton1
Views: 7121 Posts: 31

2014-02-09 12:20 PM Macguyverguy

Winter Motivation

Started by ezl
Views: 496 Posts: 2

2008-02-11 2:28 PM Bripod

Do you need Motivation to train?? Day 2 Motivation of 10

Started by Selachophobia
Views: 904 Posts: 5

2007-08-23 7:50 AM Selachophobia

Do you need Motivation to train?? Day 1 Motivation of 10

Started by Selachophobia
Views: 1060 Posts: 7

2007-08-22 1:16 PM Selachophobia

Winter Motivation Help Needed

Started by Flavor
Views: 724 Posts: 10

2005-01-13 1:27 AM DulcimerDoc
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 0
Feeling blah? Tempted to miss a workout? Here are some practices as well as on-the-spot tricks to get you into your workouts when you're just not feeling it.

date : February 6, 2012
author : alicefoeller
comments : 2
Top tips from triathletes on finding your way back to training
date : January 25, 2012
author : trmat79
comments : 1
The next thing you know it is time for bed and another workout day has passed. This is where the heart comes in.

date : December 22, 2011
author : Nancy Clark
Lack of food and fluids can take the fun out of your outdoor activities. These tips can help you fuel wisely for cold weather workouts.
date : December 1, 2011
author : alicefoeller
Triathletes weigh in on making the most of winter training

date : November 29, 2011
author : trmat79
comments : 2
A story about the motivation to overcome everyday challenges
date : January 27, 2011
author : Mark Sunderland
The no-excuses guide to riding outdoors in snow, wind, ice and darkness. Bring it on!

date : January 17, 2011
author : Anderleka
Top suggestions for making the most of your off-season.