Venice, Florida
United States
REVOLUTION3 Triathlon
Total Time = 5h 17m 2s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Got to transition by 6 and took my time setting everything up. Drank water and did light stretching. I was ready for the race to start and to see if I would have as good a race as I felt I would.
Swim
  • 37m 25s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 46s / 100 yards
Comments:

First time ever doing a swim in the ocean. The gulf was pretty calm, but swimming in salt water was new for me. I also had never done a race where we ran into the water. All my other races had been in fresh water and started in the water. It was pretty calm and was easy to sight. There was a sand bar about 100 yards out from the beach, so everyone started out swimming hard and then hit a point where you either walked or dolphin dived for 10 yards. Coming back on the final turn the sign was up over the trees and made it hard to see the finish chute, but other than that it was a great swim.
What would you do differently?:

Slightly slower than Austin 70.3, but that was in a wet suit. So salt water with no wet suit I was happy with my time. I am not a fast swimmer, but don't waste much energy and stay with the middle pack.
Transition 1
  • 04m 55s
Comments:

What can I say, I like putting on socks and calf sleeves, so my T1 is always slow. It was a long run from the beach to T1, but was pretty smooth.
Bike
  • 2h 49m 59s
  • 56 miles
  • 19.77 mile/hr
Comments:

The course was flat and had a bunch of turn arounds. I liked that as it made the time go by quicker as I could see how much I was gaining or losing compared to the people in front and behind me. Not much wind and the course if very flat. The aid stations had tons of volunteers and snacks along with water and Gatoraid. There were volunteers and police at each intersection and turn, so it was very well marked and easy to follow. Great course and day for a race.

This was the fastest bike split I have ever had. Since moving up north in September I spent most of my time in the basement on the trainer as I am a wimp when it comes to cold weather. I had really pushed hard on the trainer, but never did more than a 2 hour ride, with most being under an hour, so I was concerned how my ride in the race would go. Apparently quality is better than quantity in training. Loved the course and my performance on the bike this day.
Transition 2
  • 02m 11s
Comments:

Just put on my shoes, hat, and race bib and was off.
Run
  • 1h 42m 33s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 07m 50s  min/mile
Comments:

My bike split was almost 10 minutes faster than what I had done previously, so I was concerned my run would suffer. The first 3 miles I felt like crap and kept a conservative pace. I started feeling better and pushed my pace a bit. I felt great the entire time and was able to negative split the run. Was great seeing the family on each lap, and then getting to run with the kids across the finish line was the best experience. That really made my day.

Should have pushed harder the first half of the run as it was 5 minutes slower than my time in Austin.
Post race
Event comments:

This was my first Rev3 event and it was great. So well run and smooth, just like any Ironman event I have done. However it was so much more family friendly, and just being able to cross the finish line with my kids made it worthwhile. I am already seeing how I can do a couple Rev3 events next year as I am a fan of their product and will probably avoid Ironman races going forward.

Last updated: 2013-02-23 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:37:25 | 2112 yards | 01m 46s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 04:55
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
02:49:59 | 56 miles | 19.77 mile/hr
Wind:
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 02:11
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:42:33 | 13.1 miles | 07m 50s  min/mile
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2013-11-22 9:39 AM

Subject: Rev3 Florida - Half Rev
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Rev3 Florida - Half Rev Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Rev3 Florida - Half Rev

Started by up2thechallenge?
Views: 1365 Posts: 3

2012-11-13 8:16 PM up2thechallenge?

Rev3 Florida - Half Rev

Started by PollyG
Views: 1138 Posts: 4

2012-11-03 3:07 PM miamiamy

Rev3 Florida - Half Rev

Started by sebaf74
Views: 976 Posts: 2

2012-10-30 11:17 AM amd723

Rev3 Florida - Half Rev

Started by JPS0135
Views: 1009 Posts: 3

2012-10-29 2:14 PM amd723

Rev3 Florida - Half Rev

Started by amd723
Views: 1493 Posts: 13

2012-10-30 8:40 AM sebaf74
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 5, 2013
author : alicefoeller
comments : 0
We interview Rev3 race director Eric Opdyke. Eric is going to bravely face the series of questions we’ll be asking several race directors this year.

date : June 27, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 8
A middle-of-the-pack triathlete takes on the iron distance for the first time at Rev3's inaugural full distance race
date : January 14, 2011
author : Kyle Pawlaczyk
comments : 2
Going for broke in a race, as a pro or an amateur, can mean failure or exhilaration -- or both.

date : July 1, 2009
author : mrmarkcole
comments : 37
Or why an Ironman 70.3 may not be your best choice for your first triathlon.
date : August 21, 2008
author : TriChica
comments : 8
I thought of all the times I didn’t attempt something I wanted to do because I was too afraid of trying something new or of failing completely.

date : January 29, 2006
author : sl2302
I just had a couple of problems, I could count the number of triathlons I had contested at zero. Secondly, I could count on one hand the number of times I had been swimming in the last 17 years.
date : November 14, 2004
author : czone
At one of my last swim sessions the week of my first Ironman, one of my training partners told me how she was envious..."your first Ironman is fun, you have no pressure and no expectations!"

date : August 30, 2004
author : sherrick
comments : 40
This half Ironman plan covers many weeks of challenging, but attainable training for someone who has some endurance experience, and ideally some Olympic distance races within the past season.