United States
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 17m 25s
Overall Rank = /20
Age Group = 4-6
Age Group Rank = 0/20
Pre-race routine:

We woke up before mom had to get us up. She had already packed our bags and our bikes, all we had to do was get dressed. On the way to the race we ate chocolate chip granola bars and each tried one of mom's Sport Beans. They were kind of gross, Katie spit half of her's out and then drank lots of water. Christopher grabbed one and liked it. But he'll eat anything, even chalk.
Event warmup:

We rode our bikes from the parking lot to the transition area. We were surprised to see so many other kids, we though there would only be a few. Then We went to get our cute t-shirts and get bodymarked. The bodymarked wasn't sure if Katie could race because she's only 3 1/2, but luckily mom had already talked to the RD and she got permission for us. So Katie was the youngest racer out there!

Mom helped us set up our transition area while dad tried to wrangle Christopher. That wasn't so easy since the backpack strap broke as we walked over to T1 - so Chriostopher just wanted to get on all those sweet bikes. We saw all types in transition - from Barbie to Spiderman to tricycles. We felt pretty good about our new rides.

We had one last sip of water and checked our training wheels and we were off to the pool.
Swim
  • 02m 2s
  • 25 yards
  • 08m 08s / 100 yards
Comments:

When we got to the pool mom had to help us get our floaties on our arms. We were the only ones who had these but it was OK. We just figured all the other kids who needed them were too scared to do the race. We figured DFL is better than DNS so we weren't nervous.

It was a little confusing trying to figure out where to go. We had to walk to the other side of the pool bu ourselves and there weren't enough volunteers to tell us where to go. We just held hands and stuck together until someone finally told us what to do. We got lanes right next to each other.

Someone annouonced for the boys to get in the water. But he said. "All males in the water" We think some kids might not have been as smart as we were because lots of girls got in and then lots of boys just started swimming before he said go. Oh well, we waited until he told girls to get in. The water was pretty cold. Colder than my grandfather's condo pool - they never let it get below 90.

We're pretty proud of our swim times. Grace even beat the girl next to her who had NO floaties - so they didn't slow us down too much! Even though we needed the floaties the swim was our favorite part of the race.

When we got out we had to walk to T1 with mom so she could help us with our socks and shoes.
What would you do differently?:

Learn how to swim.
Transition 1
  • 04m 36s
Comments:

Mom had to help us in T1. It was pretty slow because she could only help one of us at a time. And Grace decided to take off her bathing suit before she remembered she was supposed to put her clothes on OVER the suit. She did get her clothes and helmet on all by herself though.

Learn to put on my shoes
Bike
  • 05m 24s
  • 0.25 miles
  • 2.78 mile/hr
Comments:

The bike was tough - we didn't think it would be so far, but we did it. We had a little stop in the middle. The finish line for the runners was half way around our loop. Some kids were already finishing the race so there were lots of people in our way by the finish line. We didn't have room to go by and didn't really know what we were doing. So we stopped since everyone else was stopped. Nobody told us what to do so we stayed there for a minute. We found out later that mom was screaming our names across the grass, but she couldn't get to us because there was a little creek in the middle. Finally some parents saw us and told us we still had 1/2 way to go.

We pedaled as fast as we could. I don't think we had ever hit speeds like this before! It was tough on our legs, I think mom needs to raise our seats a little.

When we cam einto T2 there were volunteers to help us get our helmets off and they took our bikes for us. We felt like real pros.

Ditch the training wheels.
Transition 2
  • 00m 32s
Comments:

When we came into T2 there were volunteers to help us get our helmets off and they took our bikes for us. We felt like real pros.

Nothing - we liked the help
Run
  • 03m 25s
  • 0 miles
  •  min/mile
Comments:

This was fun. When Grace got off her bike and mom yelled, "Run to the finish" she tried to cut right across the grass in the middle. Then someone told her she had to stay on the road so she came back. Then Katie took off to try to catch up with Grace. About 50 yards from the finish Grace's skirt started to fall down. Luckily her grandmother was right there to help her. She told her to wait up for Katie. They ran together again until Grace sprinted into the finish to end up just a few yards ahead of her sister.

Someone gave us each a medal and a water. We needed that - we were breathing really heavy by now and with no bottle cages on the bikes we were really thirsty.

Not wait for my sister.
Post race
Warm down:

We were so tired we could barely make it back to the car. We had our parents lug our gear for us then we mellowed out on the way home and listened to some Willy Wonka on the IPod.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Short legs

Event comments:

This race was the best. We don't have anything to compare it to but we're pretty sure we're right. You can as our parents, we know everything.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2006-07-31 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:02:02 | 25 yards | 08m 08s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/20
Overall: 0/20
Performance: Good
Suit: Osh Kosh
Course: One length of the pool - the wide way
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding:
T1
Time: 04:36
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:05:24 | 00.25 miles | 2.78 mile/hr
We were getting out of breath so our HR must have been getting high
Wind: None
Course: Around a loop one time
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: ?
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:32
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:03:25 | 00 miles |  min/mile
Course: About 3/4 of the way around the bike loop
Keeping cool Average Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2006-07-31 12:08 PM

User image

New user

Subject: Little Loggerhead Triathlon
If you want to see all the pictures go see our mom's album (Momx3). :)

Edited by GKL 2006-07-31 12:10 PM

2006-07-31 12:41 PM
in reply to: #498269

User image

Master
South Florida
Subject: RE: Little Loggerhead Triathlon
Awesome job girls!!!!  you should be really proud!!!  I can't wait to see you grow up in the sport
2006-07-31 1:44 PM

User image

Pro
MA

Nice job, girls! 

Do you really know what that "F" in DFL stands for??   

2006-07-31 2:02 PM

User image

Master
Red Sox Nation
Hey!  Your swim times are better than mine!    Glad you enjoyed your first race!
2006-07-31 3:33 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
New Haven, CT
"Learn how to swim"

You guys and me both, girls. Mind lending me those wings?

Awesome job!
2006-07-31 5:02 PM

User image

Master
Des Moines, Iowa
You guys are AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   Way to go in your first tri.  And, MOM, way to get them started :-)

2006-08-01 9:25 AM

User image

Master
Tampa, Fl

Great job girls, now I get to add 2 more that I will see passing me on the course. When we race together promise to save me some food at the finish.

By the way DFL means Definately Finished Last; not that you two need to worry about that.

2006-08-02 7:32 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Georgia
That is so cute!  I wonder if they have something like that where I live, my youngest son would love to do a tri.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Little Loggerhead Triathlon Rss Feed