General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Observations from a bike aid volunteer - Please read Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-11-23 8:16 AM

User image

Champion
NOVA - Ironic for an Endurance Athlete
Subject: Observations from a bike aid volunteer - Please read

At IMAZ, I volunteered for 5 hours at the second bike aid station.  The experience was great and gave me a great venue to scream encouragement at my wife and teammates.  It also was a great distraction from the constant worrying of having a spouse on the course.

However, I must report that a sizable minority of the racers were difficult to deal with.  The majority of the racers were great. Let me describe the best ways (and worst) to receive aid at a bike aid station.

Type 1 (Great) The best racers came through the station around 10-16 mph, with their tires about 2-3' from the line of volunteers, yelling for their desired food/drink and pointing at the one that they wanted.  If they were grabbing a drink, they already had an open cage.  After getting their item, they looked over their left shoulder and eased to the left.

Type 2 (Good) The next favorite group were aware of their bike handling limitations and yelled "Stopping" and slipped in behind the line of volunteers and stopped to grab their refreshments.

Type 3 (Good) These self supporting athletes need nothing from the aid station, and stay left but came through OUT OF AERO with their eyes up at a reasonable 16-20 mph.

Type 4 (Ugh!) These self-supporting athletes need nothing from the aid statiion, and ride down the middle in aero over 20 mph.  (We had three crashes in front of our aid station.  All three came from this group.

Type 5 (Double Ugh!) These racers are totally unaware of their lack of bike handling ability, and rode right down the middle 5-6' from the line of volunteers yelling "banana, banana"  at 8 mph.  This broke my heart, because we cannot step out of line.  You need to ride closer.

Type 6 (Triple Ugh!) These racers are totally unaware of their lack of bike handling ability and wobbled down the line of volunteers at 4-5 mph, and then swerve back to the middle without checking for approaching racers in Type 4.

Type 7 (Quadruple Ugh!) The races came through the aid station, riding about 20 mph 2' from the volunteers, sometimes in aero attempting to snatch at the blur of offerings like a cobra with a jet pack, shaking their heads as if the *

Which type are you?  Consider what slowing from 22 to 15 mph for 100 yards will do to your time in a 10+ hour race.  Is that even a second per aid station?

*After the first hour of having Type 7 slam my right hand 2 dozen times, I started pulling my food back from type 7 after several really hurt the hands of me and the other volunteers.  Sorry, if you come through THAT fast, I'm going to assume that you don't need anything.

2013-11-23 9:03 AM
in reply to: pga_mike

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania
Subject: RE: Observations from a bike aid volunteer - Please read

Good post, Mike!

It's kind of sad how many people lack what should be common sense.

2013-11-23 9:45 AM
in reply to: #4903443

User image

Queen Creek, Arizona
Seen the same and agreed. I worked ba 3. I always set up and do trash clean up. More fun to me
2013-11-23 10:05 AM
in reply to: #4903462

User image

In a multiple loop race with 3k people...you get to see the minority much more often. The faster folks also mingle with the slower folks more often on multiple loop courses...which highly increases the likelihood of a crash.

If rumors are true about changing to a 2 loop course with some climbing...I think that would help a lot.

2013-11-23 2:54 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Harrison, Oh
Excellent post!

I'm proud to say that I'm a Type 1 and/or Type 3, depending on my needs. I take coming into/out of an aid station VERY seriously and think MOST others do the same.

I've seen the other Types you mention though and it angers me (especially Type 4 & Type 7)...we've ALL worked hard for this day and everyone needs to respect that AND the amazing volunteers....of which we would be unable to race without .

Edited by marathongirl11 2013-11-23 2:58 PM
2013-11-23 3:08 PM
in reply to: marathongirl11

User image

Champion
MA

Mike,

Do you think most athletes truly know what type of racer they are? I suspect many think they do better than they really do.

Do you think a 3 loop course, makes a big difference as athletes of different abilities are on the course for 2/3 of the course. In a 2 loop course the fastest athletes only catch and lap the slowest athletes.

I yell and point to the person holding what  I want.

2013-11-23 4:02 PM

User image

Pro

there needs to be a 'thumbs up' button.  excellent categorization and advice for riders.

I think I'm type 1.b.  slowing to 5mph instead of 10-16.

2013-11-23 4:47 PM

User image

Veteran
Colorful Colorado

Good post. Bike aid station are some of the most hazardous areas on a course.

I always yell what I want and point to a specific volunteer. This work VERY well.

One way to minimize the hand-slamming (which adds up even at lower speeds) is to hold the bottle lightly from the bottom (cupping the hand around the bottom of the bottle) -- that way the rider just whisks the bottle off your hand.
2013-11-23 7:24 PM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Me?

I, 3 and 4.

It is pretty rare that I skip an aid station but I guess I have stayed far to the left in aero a couple times if I didn't need to grab something. I am acutely conscious of the dangers of the aid stations and my head is on a swivel but I guess I have been guilty of not getting up out of aero and slowing down.

I may have even been number 7 once or twice. Sorry. I will slow down more.

I do point at an aid worker to let them know of my intention of grabbing a bottle from them. it has been awhile since I missed a bottle hand up but I have missed them in the past.

On the run course I go out of my way to grab stuff from the youngest kid at the aid station. I try to thank everyone on the course: aid station workers, marshals, police officers, anyone who will tolerate my gratitude.

Thank you for the feedback. Thank you for being out there at an aid station. We should all probably be required to do that job at least once.
2013-11-23 8:00 PM

User image

Expert
Anaheim Hills, CA
I was mostly self supported but when I did go through an aid station I made sure to call and point but there were a few times I had to bail out due to other riders swerving or coming to a dead stop right in the "lane". In those cases I'd have to go without until the next aid station.

Luckily I didn't see any of the accidents on the course but there were a few times I would see people who were weaving all over the road for no apparent reason. They weren't reaching for anything, just in aero weaving back and forth.
2013-11-23 9:23 PM
in reply to: KathyG

naperville, Illinois
Originally posted by KathyG

Mike,

Do you think most athletes truly know what type of racer they are? I suspect many think they do better than they really do.

Do you think a 3 loop course, makes a big difference as athletes of different abilities are on the course for 2/3 of the course. In a 2 loop course the fastest athletes only catch and lap the slowest athletes.

I yell and point to the person holding what  I want.

agreed - there are a certain number who have no grasp of reality. kudos to the guy who acknowledged he was a 7 sometimes, and thanks to the OP for opening all our eyes

2013-11-24 2:09 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

Edited by Fred D 2013-11-24 2:23 AM
2013-11-24 6:35 AM
in reply to: Fred D

I have to agree that the bike aid stations were accidents waiting to happen. I was surprised that I did not see more collisions. When I wasn't getting aid, I slowed to about 12, moved all the way to the left and got out of the aero bars.

One dangerous aspect you missed, though, was leaving the zone. Some people just automatically increased their speed and moved to the right without checking behind them (to the right). More than a few times, I looked over my right shoulder to start my drift back to the right only to see a speed demon with one hand on the bar, the other hand squeezing their new bottle into their on-bike container, and their attention focused solely on filling their bottle up rather than trying to clear the zone safely. Partly in their defense though, is that the "last chance trash" was not far enough away from the actual handoff zone.
2013-11-24 6:54 AM

Champion

Of course, it could be that we all perceive cyclists similar to the late great George Carlin.

'Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?'

Also, to improve the safety, I think that there should be a bottle toss 50 yds BEFORE the aid station.  That way, you can have an open cage for your new bottle.

Edited by pga_mike 2013-11-24 6:56 AM
2013-11-24 8:12 AM

Master
Somewhere on the Tennessee River

Originally posted by pga_mike

At IMAZ, I volunteered for 5 hours at the second bike aid station.  The experience was great and gave me a great venue to scream encouragement at my wife and teammates.  It also was a great distraction from the constant worrying of having a spouse on the course.

However, I must report that a sizable minority of the racers were difficult to deal with.  The majority of the racers were great. Let me describe the best ways (and worst) to receive aid at a bike aid station.

Type 1 (Great) The best racers came through the station around 10-16 mph, with their tires about 2-3' from the line of volunteers, yelling for their desired food/drink and pointing at the one that they wanted.  If they were grabbing a drink, they already had an open cage.  After getting their item, they looked over their left shoulder and eased to the left.

Type 2 (Good) The next favorite group were aware of their bike handling limitations and yelled "Stopping" and slipped in behind the line of volunteers and stopped to grab their refreshments.

Type 3 (Good) These self supporting athletes need nothing from the aid station, and stay left but came through OUT OF AERO with their eyes up at a reasonable 16-20 mph.

Type 4 (Ugh!) These self-supporting athletes need nothing from the aid statiion, and ride down the middle in aero over 20 mph.  (We had three crashes in front of our aid station.  All three came from this group.

Type 5 (Double Ugh!) These racers are totally unaware of their lack of bike handling ability, and rode right down the middle 5-6' from the line of volunteers yelling "banana, banana"  at 8 mph.  This broke my heart, because we cannot step out of line.  You need to ride closer.

Type 6 (Triple Ugh!) These racers are totally unaware of their lack of bike handling ability and wobbled down the line of volunteers at 4-5 mph, and then swerve back to the middle without checking for approaching racers in Type 4.

Type 7 (Quadruple Ugh!) The races came through the aid station, riding about 20 mph 2' from the volunteers, sometimes in aero attempting to snatch at the blur of offerings like a cobra with a jet pack, shaking their heads as if the *

Which type are you?  Consider what slowing from 22 to 15 mph for 100 yards will do to your time in a 10+ hour race.  Is that even a second per aid station?

*After the first hour of having Type 7 slam my right hand 2 dozen times, I started pulling my food back from type 7 after several really hurt the hands of me and the other volunteers.  Sorry, if you come through THAT fast, I'm going to assume that you don't need anything.

Nothing to add; just sayin' that you have potential as a creative writer....   

2013-11-24 8:42 AM

Pearland,Tx
Great!!! Post!!!

Seriously Thanks a Bunch for making me realize how boring it is in the medical tent.

I am signing up for the bike aid stations for next year

Edited by strykergt 2013-11-24 8:43 AM

2013-11-24 8:53 AM
in reply to: #4903443

New user
great post. thanks. i've only done one race with bike aid stations, but going into the race i stressed about how they worked and how to get through them safely. i found some good info out there, but nothing as good as this post all in place. this will help others like me.
2013-11-24 9:53 AM
in reply to: SeeVee

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

Originally posted by SeeVee I have to agree that the bike aid stations were accidents waiting to happen. I was surprised that I did not see more collisions. When I wasn't getting aid, I slowed to about 12, moved all the way to the left and got out of the aero bars. One dangerous aspect you missed, though, was leaving the zone. Some people just automatically increased their speed and moved to the right without checking behind them (to the right). More than a few times, I looked over my right shoulder to start my drift back to the right only to see a speed demon with one hand on the bar, the other hand squeezing their new bottle into their on-bike container, and their attention focused solely on filling their bottle up rather than trying to clear the zone safely. Partly in their defense though, is that the "last chance trash" was not far enough away from the actual handoff zone.

Though I agree that it's wise to ride defensively and always maintain situational awareness, I think it's also worth noting that if someone is overtaking you on the right, they are in violation of USAT's passing rule.

2013-11-24 11:33 AM
in reply to: braciole

Champion
Dallas, TX

I am type 2!!!! I actually yell, "stopping" and I point where I'm going. I also make sure to stop AFTER the volunteers and away from other riders who are going through. I always do this because I use my own bottles and I want to refill, not replace my bottles. 

2013-11-24 12:57 PM

Coach
Stairway to Seven
I'd probabaly be a type 1.

This is exactly the reason I teach bike skills classes to triathletes. When they ask, "Why are we learning this? " when we practice figure 8s and bumping drills on grass, I will simply refer to this post.

Also, the two worst tri bike crashes that have happened to friends/athletes of mine were type 1 riders getting wiped out by types...(5-8???).

2013-11-24 1:12 PM
in reply to: AdventureBear

Master
, California

#3 is good (get off the aero bars) but try to slow down a little BEFORE you hit the aid station.  You don't want to jam on the brakes in there unless it's a last resort because someone's probably right behind you.

2013-11-24 7:30 PM

Veteran
Great White North
Sorry MPH references are faux pas.

RULE #24

// Speeds and distances shall be referred to and measured in kilometers.

This includes while discussing cycling in the workplace with your non-cycling coworkers, serving to further mystify our sport in the web of their Neanderthalic cognitive capabilities. As the confused expression spreads across their unibrowed faces, casually mention your shaved legs. All of cycling’s monuments are measured in the metric system and as such the English system is forbidden.
2013-11-24 8:18 PM
in reply to: simpsonbo

Champion

Originally posted by simpsonbo Sorry MPH references are faux pas. RULE #24 // Speeds and distances shall be referred to and measured in kilometers. This includes while discussing cycling in the workplace with your non-cycling coworkers, serving to further mystify our sport in the web of their Neanderthalic cognitive capabilities. As the confused expression spreads across their unibrowed faces, casually mention your shaved legs. All of cycling’s monuments are measured in the metric system and as such the English system is forbidden.

Just because you have a cool national anthem doesn't mean that you make the rules.

And my 6000+ posts > 963 ... rookie  

I put my entire post in sarc font, because they haven't mastered sarcasm yet in Canada.

2013-11-24 11:50 PM

Veteran
Great White North
First of all it was a joke. Rule 24 taken from the Veluminati. Not exactly a Canadian specific site. So you post about stuff more than I do. My first Tri was 1988.

This is what I get for a light hearted joke. I would hate to give you a compliment.

Besides sarcasm font doesn't work well on a phone.

Edited by simpsonbo 2013-11-24 11:51 PM
2013-11-25 4:10 AM

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania
Originally posted by simpsonboFirst of all it was a joke. Rule 24 taken from the Veluminati. Not exactly a Canadian specific site. So you post about stuff more than I do. My first Tri was 1988. This is what I get for a light hearted joke. I would hate to give you a compliment.Besides sarcasm font doesn't work well on a phone.
Uh, Bo, I'm pretty certain Mike's response was intended as a joke, but since golf was his first sport he's not very good with humor. ;-)

Edited by TriMyBest 2013-11-25 4:11 AM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Observations from a bike aid volunteer - Please read Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

My gross race-day observation (do not read if easily grossed out) Pages: 1 2

Started by ToeKnail
Views: 3486 Posts: 27

2011-06-29 12:28 PM Detroit Dan

Observations for a race volunteer.

Started by Liquidsilver
Views: 1001 Posts: 8

2010-08-02 9:09 PM trigal38

Bike Mount, My observations from a volunteers perspective...

Started by Batlou
Views: 841 Posts: 4

2010-07-19 9:35 AM Artemis

VOLUNTEERS NEEDED: BT Aid Station @ Mooseman

Started by Ron
Views: 1418 Posts: 2

2007-05-10 4:04 PM marmadaddy

Triathlon Training Device <b>PLEASE READ</b>

Started by ldu01123
Views: 1663 Posts: 10

2004-12-07 9:27 AM Darr
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 11, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Dean from Fitwerx answers a BT member question about what kind of bike should be the "next bike."

date : October 9, 2009
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
NSAIDs are now starting to be used as an ergogenic aid to enhance performance especially before and during long endurance races and longer training sessions. Is this safe?
date : December 27, 2008
author : FitWerx
comments : 9
Are you a beginner triathlete? This video will compare triathlon bikes and road bikes to help you figure out what is best for you as you begin your triathlon training.

date : August 5, 2008
author : mrakes1
Are you traveling to a race and need to ship your bike? This video will demonstrate how to disassemble your bike to be able to pack it properly in a bike case for shipping.
date : July 5, 2008
author : lmscozz
comments : 4
My experience as a volunteer at a sprint triathlon. My reasons for arising before the sun were not to work out, but to volunteer. I wanted to give back to a sport I’m learning to love.

date : September 12, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
Discussions on open water swimming with waves, optimal breathing, practicing sighting, when to get up and run, using the back and breast stroke, dropping your stroke count and swim aids.
date : February 8, 2007
author : mscotthall
Everyone and anyone that has ever raced in a triathlon should take it upon themselves to volunteer at just one event next season. It is an eye-opening and inspirational experience.

date : September 2, 2004
author : Michael
comments : 1
Are you only focusing on racing and training this season?  Volunteeri to help at a triathlon!