General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Observations from a bike aid volunteer - Please read Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-11-25 7:57 AM
in reply to: TriMyBest

User image

Pro
Wisconsin near the Twin Cities metro
Subject: RE: Observations from a bike aid volunteer - Please read

Mike, I raced there last Sunday and just wanted to say THANKS...you all did a great job at the aid stations

2013-11-25 6:36 PM
in reply to: pga_mike

User image

Veteran
Cloverdale, BC

Originally posted by pga_mike

Also, to improve the safety, I think that there should be a bottle toss 50 yds BEFORE the aid station.  That way, you can have an open cage for your new bottle.

I've only done one Ironman before (Canada 2007), and there was a bottle toss before every bike aid station.  Is that not the norm at every WTC Ironman race?  I'm just wondering what to expect when I do Coeur d'Alene next summer. 

Mike

2013-11-25 6:37 PM
in reply to: TriMyBest

User image

Champion
NOVA - Ironic for an Endurance Athlete

Originally posted by TriMyBest
Originally posted by simpsonboFirst of all it was a joke. Rule 24 taken from the Veluminati. Not exactly a Canadian specific site. So you post about stuff more than I do. My first Tri was 1988. This is what I get for a light hearted joke. I would hate to give you a compliment.Besides sarcasm font doesn't work well on a phone.
Uh, Bo, I'm pretty certain Mike's response was intended as a joke, but since golf was his first sport he's not very good with humor. ;-)

Actually my first sport was baseball. Then soccer. Then basketball. Then tennis.

When I hit high school, all of my coaches had the same talk with me.  "Aldrich, your footspeed is appropriate for only one sport.  Golf."

2013-11-26 5:43 PM
in reply to: simpsonbo

User image

Expert
Boise, ID

Originally posted by simpsonbo First of all it was a joke. Rule 24 taken from the Veluminati. Not exactly a Canadian specific site. So you post about stuff more than I do. My first Tri was 1988. This is what I get for a light hearted joke. I would hate to give you a compliment. Besides sarcasm font doesn't work well on a phone.

Sorry but the real faux paus here is a triathlete quoting the rules of the Velominati. Everyone knows triathletes are not real cyclists and thus cannot quote such hallowed rules. 

2013-11-26 6:52 PM
in reply to: Aarondb4

User image

Champion
NOVA - Ironic for an Endurance Athlete

Originally posted by Aarondb4

Originally posted by simpsonbo First of all it was a joke. Rule 24 taken from the Veluminati. Not exactly a Canadian specific site. So you post about stuff more than I do. My first Tri was 1988. This is what I get for a light hearted joke. I would hate to give you a compliment. Besides sarcasm font doesn't work well on a phone.

Sorry but the real faux paus here is a triathlete quoting the rules of the Velominati. Everyone knows triathletes are not real cyclists and thus cannot quote such hallowed rules. 

And misspelling Velominati. 

Robin Williams is my communication role model so there is no need for me to refer to your post in any material way.  Onto the next joke about your seat being too low and why flip turns are necessary for triathlon.

2013-11-26 6:57 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Originally posted by ultramike

Also, to improve the safety, I think that there should be a bottle toss 50 yds BEFORE the aid station.  That way, you can have an open cage for your new bottle.

I've only done one Ironman before (Canada 2007), and there was a bottle toss before every bike aid station.  Is that not the norm at every WTC Ironman race?  I'm just wondering what to expect when I do Coeur d'Alene next summer. 

Mike

There is a bottle toss section before the aid stations (at least when I did IMAZ, IM Canada, and WTC 70.3s).   There is also a "last chance" afterwards. 

Edited by ChrisM 2013-11-26 6:59 PM

2013-11-26 7:05 PM
in reply to: Aarondb4

User image

Veteran
Great White North
says the guy with an IM race logo in his profile
2013-11-27 1:41 PM

User image

Veteran
Smithfield, VA
Nice write-up. I've not volunteered for any water/nutrition slots before, mainly because I think the clean-up would a pain. I tip my hat to those volunteers, especially at running events, standing with a rake and small pile of cups, 20 yards past the last trash can.

I'm more of a Type 2 biker in your list, mainly because when I try to be a type 1, I end up coming off as a 6 - especially the further into the course I get.
2013-11-28 9:25 PM

User image

Elite
N Carolina

At IMAZ, I volunteered for 5 hours at the second bike aid station.  The experience was great and gave me a great venue to scream encouragement at my wife and teammates.  It also was a great distraction from the constant worrying of having a spouse on the course.

However, I must report that a sizable minority of the racers were difficult to deal with.  The majority of the racers were great. Let me describe the best ways (and worst) to receive aid at a bike aid station.

Type 1 (Great) The best racers came through the station around 10-16 mph, with their tires about 2-3' from the line of volunteers, yelling for their desired food/drink and pointing at the one that they wanted.  If they were grabbing a drink, they already had an open cage.  After getting their item, they looked over their left shoulder and eased to the left.

Type 2 (Good) The next favorite group were aware of their bike handling limitations and yelled "Stopping" and slipped in behind the line of volunteers and stopped to grab their refreshments.

Type 3 (Good) These self supporting athletes need nothing from the aid station, and stay left but came through OUT OF AERO with their eyes up at a reasonable 16-20 mph.

Type 4 (Ugh!) These self-supporting athletes need nothing from the aid statiion, and ride down the middle in aero over 20 mph.  (We had three crashes in front of our aid station.  All three came from this group.

Type 5 (Double Ugh!) These racers are totally unaware of their lack of bike handling ability, and rode right down the middle 5-6' from the line of volunteers yelling "banana, banana"  at 8 mph.  This broke my heart, because we cannot step out of line.  You need to ride closer.

Type 6 (Triple Ugh!) These racers are totally unaware of their lack of bike handling ability and wobbled down the line of volunteers at 4-5 mph, and then swerve back to the middle without checking for approaching racers in Type 4.

Type 7 (Quadruple Ugh!) The races came through the aid station, riding about 20 mph 2' from the volunteers, sometimes in aero attempting to snatch at the blur of offerings like a cobra with a jet pack, shaking their heads as if the *

Which type are you?  Consider what slowing from 22 to 15 mph for 100 yards will do to your time in a 10+ hour race.  Is that even a second per aid station?

*After the first hour of having Type 7 slam my right hand 2 dozen times, I started pulling my food back from type 7 after several really hurt the hands of me and the other volunteers.  Sorry, if you come through THAT fast, I'm going to assume that you don't need anything.

Great post!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Observations from a bike aid volunteer - Please read Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

My gross race-day observation (do not read if easily grossed out) Pages: 1 2

Started by ToeKnail
Views: 3486 Posts: 27

2011-06-29 12:28 PM Detroit Dan

Observations for a race volunteer.

Started by Liquidsilver
Views: 1001 Posts: 8

2010-08-02 9:09 PM trigal38

Bike Mount, My observations from a volunteers perspective...

Started by Batlou
Views: 841 Posts: 4

2010-07-19 9:35 AM Artemis

VOLUNTEERS NEEDED: BT Aid Station @ Mooseman

Started by Ron
Views: 1417 Posts: 2

2007-05-10 4:04 PM marmadaddy

Triathlon Training Device <b>PLEASE READ</b>

Started by ldu01123
Views: 1663 Posts: 10

2004-12-07 9:27 AM Darr
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 11, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Dean from Fitwerx answers a BT member question about what kind of bike should be the "next bike."

date : October 9, 2009
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
NSAIDs are now starting to be used as an ergogenic aid to enhance performance especially before and during long endurance races and longer training sessions. Is this safe?
date : December 27, 2008
author : FitWerx
comments : 9
Are you a beginner triathlete? This video will compare triathlon bikes and road bikes to help you figure out what is best for you as you begin your triathlon training.

date : August 5, 2008
author : mrakes1
Are you traveling to a race and need to ship your bike? This video will demonstrate how to disassemble your bike to be able to pack it properly in a bike case for shipping.
date : July 5, 2008
author : lmscozz
comments : 4
My experience as a volunteer at a sprint triathlon. My reasons for arising before the sun were not to work out, but to volunteer. I wanted to give back to a sport I’m learning to love.

date : September 12, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
Discussions on open water swimming with waves, optimal breathing, practicing sighting, when to get up and run, using the back and breast stroke, dropping your stroke count and swim aids.
date : February 8, 2007
author : mscotthall
Everyone and anyone that has ever raced in a triathlon should take it upon themselves to volunteer at just one event next season. It is an eye-opening and inspirational experience.

date : September 2, 2004
author : Michael
comments : 1
Are you only focusing on racing and training this season?  Volunteeri to help at a triathlon!