Run Bucks
50F / 10C
Sunny
Total Time = 30m 33s
Overall Rank = 111/200
Age Group = M50-54
Age Group Rank = 5/7
Pre-race routine:

No routine. Drove down to the park where I would've run anyway, parked, walked across the field to get the bib and shirt, walked back to the car to pin on the bib and drop my coat, walked back to the starting line.
Event warmup:

Wandered around looking at the dogs, the women (sorry, nothing like fit women in spandex), and a really nice Jeep Rubicon.
Run
  • 30m 33s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 09m 49s  min/mile
Comments:

Always nice to do an officially organized run in the neighborhood. Didn't even know about this until Monday, and never would have at all if I'd not decided to go for a run on Monday afternoon and seen the sign on the towpath. Nice run, went off shortly after the Delaware Canal Half Mary, which brought in almost 500 participants.

I took no walking breaks, kept it up the entire distance, slowing down a time or two in order to catch my breath. Very congested for the first third of a mile or so, hard to get around people, and doubly tough on the towpath, had to pick your moments to pass, which i did twice. Managed my pace well enough, running faster as the race progressed, but not enough to break the 30-minute mark, dang it!
What would you do differently?:

Maybe start a little closer to the front so as to avoid some of the MOP and BOP congestion. But it doesn't matter. Great opportunity to do a nice hard run on my own "home course" with a bunch of other like-minded folks. Good time had by all, I think.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around to catch my breath, drank some water, hit the porta-potty.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of run-specific raining here lately. I've only run twice, I think, between Black Cat and today.

Event comments:

Excellent little race...we even got medals for the 5K...unheard of! And a heckuva spread afterward...I had a cheeseburger for crying out loud! If they'd had water on the 5K course (which is not that big a deal, I know), I'd have given it a "5".

Last updated: 2013-11-17 12:00 AM
Running
00:30:33 | 03.11 miles | 09m 49s  min/mile
Age Group: 5/7
Overall: 111/200
Performance: Good
Course: Around the inner park loop a couple of times, out toward 532 and onto the towpath, then back to the inner loop again. Flat and easy, but a little congested at the start and single-file running on the towpath.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-11-25 9:26 PM

Subject: Bucks County 5K
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Bucks County 5K Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Bucks County Winter Race Series - Cham-Pain 5K

Started by michael2_19030
Views: 881 Posts: 1

2012-01-03 3:51 PM michael2_19030

Bucks County Winter Race Series - Tyler Challenge 10K

Views: 975 Posts: 1

2011-12-19 6:45 PM michael2_19030

Bucks County Winter Race Series - Jingle Bell 5.3 Miler

Views: 881 Posts: 1

2011-12-11 4:30 PM michael2_19030

Bucks County Winter Series - Covered Bridge 5K

Views: 1042 Posts: 1

2011-12-10 6:49 PM michael2_19030

Bucks County Covered Bridges Ride

Started by kofian
Views: 956 Posts: 1

2011-11-01 8:52 PM kofian
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 17, 2010
author : mjfewell
comments : 3
In November of 2000, I noticed that I was losing the feeling in my toes. The sensation traveled up my body and within a week, I was nearly 80% paralyzed.

date : October 30, 2005
author : acbadger
comments : 0
First, with your upcoming 5K, I strongly advise you to check out the “Couch to 5K” training schedule. This training schedule is a GREAT way to get back into running safely and wisely.
date : October 24, 2004
author : tri-en
comments : 0
If you are like many runners you may be frustrated at racing 5K distances and never being able to run them faster. Improve your race pace with this flexible 12 week program.

date : September 26, 2004
author : jhealy422
comments : 2
For as long as I can remember, I’ve had weight issues. I remember standing on the scale as a child weighing 60 pounds and feeling fat. My family dealt with stress by eating.
date : August 29, 2004
author : Ron
comments : 6
Couch to 5k programs for those starting from square one.

comments : 12
This aggressive couch to 5k program will get you running from nothing and will be the lead-up to any of the sprint programs.
This couch to 5k program will get your running in seven months and can be the lead-up to any of the sprint programs.

Overview of two walk/run routines for training for a 5K.