General Discussion Race Reports! » Medford Lakes Colony Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Medford Lakes Colony Sprint Triathlon - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Medford Lakes, New Jersey
United States
DQ Events
60F / 16C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 47m 23s
Overall Rank = 168/231
Age Group = Clydesdale
Age Group Rank = 14/18
Pre-race routine:

Followed what by now has become my standard, because it seems to work along all fronts. Up at 4:30, made a Pom, peach, and banana smoothie and ate a bagel with peanut butter. Went to the BR shortly thereafter and had success, with no issues in that department through the end of the race. Wanted to get out by 6:45...TSW moved pretty good and we got out by about 6:55. If we hadn't followed poor GPS directions on the way - and run into a bridge-out detour - it would've been perfect. Note for future years: stay on 206 South all the way to 70.
Swim
  • 15m 28s
  • 440 yards
  • 03m 31s / 100 yards
Comments:

Swim seemed a bit long; I was really surprised when I got out of the water and saw 15 minutes on the Garmin, because I felt like - despite slowing down quite a bit on the second half - I swam well enough to have at least matched last year's time or done slightly better. Heard a couple of guys talking after the race - referring to a friend's fancy new Garmin watch - that the friend measured the race at more in the neighborhood of .35 mile, or around 600 yards. Of course, we have no idea how straight that guy swam, but given my time I don't think 600 yards is reasonable. I think probably closer to 500-550. But we'll never know.
What would you do differently?:

Maybe stay a bit more focused on breathing and not gasping, and focused on the stroke too. For some reason I find that very hard to do over any distance in open water.
Transition 1
  • 02m 30s
Comments:

Might've been a little longer than expected because I had a long run to my bike from the water. Chose that specifically, though, because I wanted to limit the distance I had to run in my bike shoes.

Not much.
Bike
  • 57m 47s
  • 17.2 miles
  • 17.86 mile/hr
Comments:

A minute or so slower than last year, despite pushing slightly higher wattage (maybe 10w worth). First loop took about 30 minutes, so I made up some time on the second loop. Although I rate the road surfaces as "smooth", there were some sections that were just flat-out bad; I ran through the worst section much better the second time around - I suppose because I knew what to expect - but the first time was just scary trying to go fast.

Probably need to train a little more on the bike. Can't reference any numbers, but it just feels like my bike training hasn't been up to snuff this year compared to previous years.
Transition 2
  • 01m 46s
Comments:

Moved pretty quickly through T2, I thought. As usual, the shoes took a little time to squeeze into, but I put on the race belt as I moved toward the exit. Of course, I wasn't moving that fast...

Probably the only way to jazz up T2 is to sprint out of transition, which I will probably never do...and that might've only gained me another 15 seconds. I could probably improve the lacing on the shoes, because they can be tough to get on, but even that might only pick up another 5-10 seconds.
Run
  • 29m 53s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 09m 37s  min/mile
Comments:

Better than I expected, and almost 40 seconds better than last year's run. I only walked briefly around the water stops, just long enough to swish out the mouth and take a few sips before moving on. Pretty uncomfortable on the way out...up through the water stop I felt a boulder developing in my gut, but that eventually went away. After that water stop, I paced myself using the orange traffic cones placed down the middle of the road, picking up the pace for one cone interval, and settling back into the 9:45-ish range for two cone intervals. Once past the second water stop, I pushed the pace for two cone intervals and slowed for only one. Managed that all the way through the end.

Nothing...for me this was a good run that came out better than expected, particularly given the discomfort I felt early on.
Post race

Last updated: 2013-08-15 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:15:28 | 440 yards | 03m 31s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/18
Overall: 208/231
Performance: Average
Suit: Synergy Full
Course: Straight out and back from the beach, buoys to the right.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:30
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:57:47 | 17.2 miles | 17.86 mile/hr
Overall: 142/231
Wind: Little
Course: Two loops around the Medford Lakes and Shawnee High School area.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:46
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:29:53 | 03.11 miles | 09m 37s  min/mile
Overall: 183/231
Performance: Good
Course: Straight out back run down a road with a golf course on the left and woods and the neighborhood on the right.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-11-25 9:27 PM

Subject: Medford Lakes Colony Sprint Triathlon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Medford Lakes Colony Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Medford Lakes Colony Sprint Triathlon

Started by kentwest
Views: 845 Posts: 1

2012-09-16 10:03 PM kentwest

Started by otisbrown
Views: 785 Posts: 1

2012-08-28 10:36 AM otisbrown

Started by metfan630
Views: 1236 Posts: 1

2011-01-15 12:27 AM metfan630

1st Annual Medford Lakes Colony Sprint Triathlon

Started by gregrueb
Views: 1116 Posts: 1

2010-08-30 8:41 AM gregrueb

1st Annual Medford Lakes Colony Sprint Triathlon

Started by WCTri
Views: 1192 Posts: 1

2010-08-28 8:56 PM WCTri
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 28, 2012
author : dilletaunt
comments : 5
Another year, another excuse in missing the Ironman 70.3 Lake Stevens triathlon.

date : January 26, 2012
author : dantheman1123
comments : 1
My first triathlon was at age 56. At first I was just the cameraman at my daughter's first triathlon, then I am doing the races that she has done.
date : March 4, 2010
author : alex jb
comments : 0
The triathlon made a lot of sense as I could fit the training around early mornings and other times that wouldn't eat too much into my family time. Things never go completely to plan do they?

date : February 5, 2010
author : CavalloHJ
comments : 5
I found a sprint, the Lake Las Vegas Triathlon, that was happening four months down the road and signed myself up; much to the surprise of friends and family.
date : September 8, 2008
author : pjwalzphd
comments : 2
When I told my husband that I planned to work toward completing a sprint triathlon, he smiled and was supportive, but a bit disbelieving.

date : August 10, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
The first time I ventured into the deep murky green lake and could not see the bottom my muscles tensed and my imagined fears surfaced. What exactly lies beneath?
date : January 7, 2007
author : Writebrained
Both the Lake Triathlon Shoe CX210TRI and the Lake Road Shoe CX225 offer distinct advantages. I tested both shoes and found them to be extremely comfortable, good looking and durable.

date : December 31, 2006
author : TriSquirrel
comments : 2
A description of my experiences during my first triathlon. It was a great experience. I’m in better shape than I’ve ever been.