General Discussion Triathlon Talk » High cycling heart rate Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-07-31 1:51 PM

Whiteville, NC
Subject: High cycling heart rate
At 55 and 30 pounds overweight, I finished my first sprint triathlon on Sat. I placed last overall, though not last in any of the segments, in 2:19:34. Other than a slightly pulled inner thigh, I've felt good. But I wonder about my heart rate on the cycling. My normal training HR zone is 99-132, with a max of 164. My HR on the 1:07:02 time for 15 miles was in the mid 170's, dropping into the high 160's toward the end. I tried to keep my cadence up and focused on using slow twitch muscles though the hills were really tough for me. Most of the time I was breathing really hard but just kept going. I'm wondering what this says about heart rate in general, if it's possible to do damage pushing myself, or if I need to refigure my training zones. I noticed this morning at Curves that my max HR was 198 and it's never been that high before--usually just in the 130's. What's recovery time after an experience like this first tri?

2006-07-31 4:21 PM
in reply to: #498434

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL
Subject: RE: High cycling heart rate

First, congratulations on completing your first Tri! 

Next, I have to ask whether you've had a recent physical or have told your doctor that you're training for triathlons.

Everyone is going to be a bit different, but your heart rates are way on the high side, particularly for your age.  Especially that 198 number.  Using the 220 - age formula as a rough approximation, your max HR would be around 165 bpm.  

How are you measuring your HR?  If you're using a monitor are you sure it's working correctly? 

For comparison, I'm 53 and through testing last year determined that my lactic threshold HR was 157 bpm.  From that my zone 2 training zones work out to be 127-140 on the bike and 134-143 for running.  My resting HR is on the low side at 42 bpm.

My advice would be to talk with your doc just to make sure you're on solid ground. 

I'm speaking as someone who had open heart surgery five years ago, so I'm not one to take cardiac issues lightly.

Mark

2006-07-31 4:28 PM
in reply to: #498670

Whiteville, NC
Thanks Mark. I use a Polar F4 monitor, new in February, and I had a normal EKG a few months ago when I told my doctor about the tri. I seem to recover fast even when my HR gets high. The cycling HR bothered me because it seemed to stay high the entire time. I guess asking my doctor is a good idea. And of course, losing the extra weight!
2006-08-01 12:29 AM

User image

Champion
MA

I would watch it but not worry about it to much.

I'm 44 and often see HR's in the 220's. It used to freak me out, went to a cardiologist and they did tests and I'm fine. I figure it is the way my hear warms up, HRM is just off, or something else weird goes on...but not what you are asking.

I do see some high numbers that I believe..running intervals last week my HR hit 198.

Breathing hard and having a high HR go hand in hand. How did you set your HR training for the bike you mentioned? By a formula or by a bike test?

Also if you are hot and/or well rested your HR is often high and if you are cold and or fatigued your HR is often Low.

I redo my HR zones about every 3 months based on testing protical my coach gives me. They don't change much...biggest change is from indoor trainer rides on the bike to outdoor my HR zone changes.  Normally my HR zones may change 1-2 beats either direction every 3 months.

2006-08-02 6:28 PM

Whiteville, NC
Thanks Kathy. I was really hot and breathing really hard so that was probably the reason for the HR. I had just noticed that my HR was in the 160's on a normal bike ride, but those times I wasn't so hot or or riding hills. Eventually I'll ask my doctor but hope that better fitness, less weight will get it lower.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » High cycling heart rate Rss Feed