World Triathlon Corporation
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 11h 23m 28s
Overall Rank = 548/2704
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 76/317
Pre-race routine:

2 scoops of GenUcan 30 min prior to swim start. Wetsuit on early as morning air temp was in the mid 50's.
Event warmup:

Dynamic arm exercises, visualization of swim start. Jumped into water about 15 min prior to race start. Swam approx. 100 yards to inside line about mid pack. Held onto kayak waiting for the gun to go off.
Swim
  • 1h 18m 23s
  • 4224 yards
  • 01m 52s / 100 yards
Comments:

After the gun went off I waited for about 30 seconds and just treaded water for the bodies to start moving and gain some open water in front of me. It worked OK, but was still crowded. I found myself swimming into slower swimmers and having to navigate around quite a few people. I got some advice from another athlete prior to the gun going off who had done IMAZ a couple of times to site just to the right of the large apartment building at the end of Tempe town lake. Worked out great. I stayed relaxed and just treated it as a training swim. It took a good half mile or so to find some open water and have room to use good form. I didn't let it bother me though...It's an Ironman and it was expected.

What would you do differently?:

Probably start a little farther toward the front and not wait so long after the gun goes off to start swimming.
Transition 1
  • 08m 14s
Comments:

Right calf started to cramp coming into swim exit, but I managed to work it out. Had a little trouble getting up the steep landing/stairs, but volunteers pulled me onto my feet and wetsuit strippers got my suit off PDQ. Long run into T1. It feels like forever getting all your bike stuff on and putting away your wet stuff into those bags, but volunteers again very helpful in getting your stuff put away for you and taking your bag.

Nothing, felt like I had a good T1 for an Ironman
Bike
  • 5h 35m 2s
  • 112 miles
  • 20.06 mile/hr
Comments:

I was well hydrated coming into the race I guess as I pee'd several times during the bike leg without stopping. Porta potty lines were had a little wait, and I had a goal time to reach. Had never pee'd on the bike until now, worked out great. Course however is crowded with so many people and 3 loops. There were large packs of people riding together and of course some illegal drafting going on. Some of it you just can't help and keep 3 bike lengths between you and somebody else. I actually came up on one group and was at the tail end getting ready to pull out and pass the rider in front of me when a race official pulled along side of me and held up four fingers and said "four". That's all he said and never showed me a card. He sped away pulled up to another rider in front of the pack. I didn't know if I had just gotten a penalty or not as they are supposed to show you a red or yellow card. This was on my last loop going out, so I pulled over at the penalty tent and asked them if I needed to stop. They advised it would be best to go ahead and serve a 4 min. penalty, than not because if you don't stop and did in fact get penalized you are disqualified. So I got a 4 min. breather before hammering back into Tempe for the run. Even with the 4 minute "penalty" I still had the best 112 mile bike split I ever had and crushed my goal time by 25 minutes. I did take the time to look around at the landscape of desert and cactus and mountains that were all around us, it was cool. Nutrition was right on with the GenUcan (6 scoops total), 6 nutter butters, and a small can of Redbull. 4 metasalt tabs also and of course water.

Not much really. Like I said, it's hard keeping a legal distance with so many riders. Some riders were blocking the whole road so it was hard to weave in and out and make your way around them at times.
Transition 2
  • 02m 21s
Comments:

Felt good coming off the bike, much better than Coeur d'Alene 2 years ago. Handed my bike off to a volunteer, another volunteer got my bike to run bag in a timely manner and another volunteer took all my bike stuff and packed it away for me.

Maybe take a minute just to stretch a little.
Run
  • 4h 19m 28s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 09m 54s  min/mile
Comments:

Coming out of T2 legs felt good as did the engine. My goal was to run a 4 hour marathon. I ran with a GPS watch to get a good gauge on my pace. I know I ran the first few miles too quick and had to reign it in before it was too late. Slowed it down, but tried keeping my cadence quick. Started passing a lot of people I saw hammering past me on the bike. Ran first half in 2 hours and was on goal pace. Knees started aching and became somewhat painful shortly after crossing the halfway point. Started with a minute of walking then would run until I couldn't stand the pain any longer, but always limited my walk to no more than 1 minute. I was 19 minutes slower on the back half, but I was happy with it, and had fun! Coming into the finishing chute I weaved back and forth high fiving spectators on both sides of it. The atmosphere was electric and I was having a lot of fun. I heard Mike Reilly say call me an Ironman, I looked up at the official time clock to see my time, and I high fived him just as I crossed the finish line. What a day. My goal was sub 12 hours and I just crushed it! 4 scoops of GenUcan on the run a couple of small sips of perform just for taste, a Redbull at special needs, metasalt tabs and water for nutrition.

Probably start out a little slower and not be so eager to pass people on the run. It really could have backfired on me.
Post race
Warm down:

I immediately drank a bottle of chocolate milk after finishing which was delicious. I couldn't find anyone in my group I came to Arizona with. 17 of us raced and there were support/family with us. I walked around for 45 minutes until I found somebody I knew. I went back to the athlete food area and ate some french fries (that had a ton of salt on them), and a couple of pieces of cheese pizza. I waited for others in my group to finish, cheer them on and congratulate them.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My knees, but I'm still extremely happy with my result. Training was right on as was nutrition. Everything pretty much went according to race plan.

Event comments:

If an Ironman is on your to do list. IMAZ is a must. Volunteer the year before and sign up on site as it sells out in seconds after going on line later in the day.

Last updated: 2013-01-08 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:18:23 | 4224 yards | 01m 52s / 100yards
Age Group: 143/317
Overall: 1070/2704
Performance: Good
Suit: Xterra
Course: One rectangular loop counterclockwise. First leg into rising sun. Water dingy with low visibility. Was pretty cool swimming underneath bridges with people on the bridge cheering you on.
Start type: Deep Water Plus:
Water temp: 63F / 17C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 08:14
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
05:35:02 | 112 miles | 20.06 mile/hr
Age Group: 111/317
Overall: 741/2704
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: 3 loop out and back, very flat. Slightly uphill on the way out but never had to get out of the big chain ring. Winds turn around on you during the race as the valley heats up, gets gusty at times. It's so flat that it's hard to reign yourself in from going all out. I kept reminding myself of what I could do and what I should do.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 90
Turns: Average Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:21
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
04:19:28 | 26.2 miles | 09m 54s  min/mile
Age Group: 76/317
Overall: 549/2704
Course: 2 large out and back loops around TTL. Aid stations every mile or so. Pretty flat with a slight long incline about miles 8 and 16 I think. Aid stations were great with enthusiastic volunteers, plenty of entertainment and cheering from other spectators.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2013-11-26 12:25 PM

User image

Veteran
Springfield/Branson
Subject: Ironman Arizona
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman Arizona Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Ironman Arizona Pages: 1 2

Started by tjfry
Views: 7560 Posts: 33

2006-04-13 6:25 PM tjfry

Ironman Arizona Pages: 1 2 3

Started by MikeB
Views: 10682 Posts: 60

2006-04-12 11:01 AM devotchkatata

Ironman Arizona

Started by stinger
Views: 1678 Posts: 7

2005-07-09 10:57 PM cadreamer

Ironman Arizona Pages: 1 2 3

Started by madcow
Views: 6500 Posts: 53

2005-04-20 11:48 AM DB8

Ironman Arizona - Tiger Phil's Story Pages: 1 2 3

Started by Tiger Phil
Views: 7169 Posts: 74

2006-06-21 7:53 AM benihana
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 23, 2012
author : ytriguy
comments : 0
Often it makes sense to race slower in order to finish faster and at the same time have a more enjoyable Ironman Triathlon experience.

date : April 18, 2012
author : alicefoeller
comments : 3
An unexpected upside of completing a full distance triathlon
date : June 27, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 8
A middle-of-the-pack triathlete takes on the iron distance for the first time at Rev3's inaugural full distance race

date : November 17, 2008
author : mrakes1
During the race there will be plenty of opportunities to exchange bottles, so I'm thinking about going with the aero bottle and Gatorade bottle and fill up as necessary. What should I do?
date : May 7, 2008
author : Ingrid Loos
comments : 2
Thousands of spectators lined the shore and bridges overhead. When the announcer said, “Welcome to the best day of your life,” the possibility was still there for all of us.

date : May 22, 2007
author : Team BT
comments : 4
It is my opinion that even though everyone else considered her a triathlete, she did not consider herself one. I think she still felt like she had no fitness direction and had given up on triathlon.
date : July 30, 2006
author : IRONVIKING
If a heart patient can do these things, then so can those of you who haven't been split open like a fish and sewn back together.

date : November 14, 2004
author : eclaire
Newbie blunders teach the mind to overcome the moment, and always have fun!