General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 100 mile training pace Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-11-27 5:52 PM

User image

Expert
Alexandria, MN
Subject: 100 mile training pace
I've been looking at training plans and reading up on stacking long runs on multiple days, for example Fri, Sat, Sun, 14, 20, 26 mile runs, or whatever distance. Also reading about walk/running those runs and essentially just getting time on your feet.

What I'm looking for is first hand affirmation on if this really works, and if I'm reduced to a 14-16 min/mile avg pace on my third day does that mean I will or will not succeed over 100 miles?

My wife is running Rocky Raccoon in Feb, but unfortunately they moved the 50 mile race to another weekend. But I'm considering the 100, since I'm there already why not attempt the race with a modest, "just survive" mentality?

Thanks !

Edited by Climbinggonzo 2013-11-27 5:56 PM

2013-11-27 7:53 PM
in reply to: Climbinggonzo

User image

Expert
Alexandria, MN
Subject: RE: 100 mile training pace
Although I'm asking in general, I haven't logged my training here in a while. But if it helps I've been logging a ton of miles and running marathons and 50k's all summer as "training" runs.
2013-11-27 8:27 PM

User image

Master
San Antone, Texas
Back to back long runs is very common for ultra training. Although I haven't seen many training plans that do 3 back to back to back long runs.

The goal is to get out the door that second (or third!) day when you're sore and tired and get the run accomplished. While it is a physical challenge, its more of a mental challenge in my book.

I wouldn't worry about pace. Running 100 miles is about survival and keeping the body moving, even when the mind is screaming at you to stop.

Rocky Racoon is a great race btw. My wife will be at the 50 this year as well. I'm taking this year off but will be back for the 100 next year I hope. It got the best of me last year, as I only made it 4/5 laps. My mind was not strong enough.
2013-11-28 7:56 AM

User image

Elite
HURRICANE, Utah
Originally posted by Climbinggonzo

I've been looking at training plans and reading up on stacking long runs on multiple days, for example Fri, Sat, Sun, 14, 20, 26 mile runs, or whatever distance. Also reading about walk/running those runs and essentially just getting time on your feet.

What I'm looking for is first hand affirmation on if this really works, and if I'm reduced to a 14-16 min/mile avg pace on my third day does that mean I will or will not succeed over 100 miles?

My wife is running Rocky Raccoon in Feb, but unfortunately they moved the 50 mile race to another weekend. But I'm considering the 100, since I'm there already why not attempt the race with a modest, "just survive" mentality?

Thanks !

A great book Relentless Forward Prograss, has a couple 100 mile training plans depending on the mileage and time you have in a week. I dont do 3 back to back days either, mondays and friday are no running days for me. Most plans I have seen and studied call for long saturday long sunday hence the rest the day before and the rest the day after. Practice eating REAL food also during these runs, thats a huge factor in success you have to fuel your body for a long period of time. Depending on if you are looking for a fast time or just a finish some plans also recommend a walk only day but its a very very brisk walk. Jump in and give a go!! A "just survive" mentality is great but a "I will finish no matter what" is the best
2013-11-28 5:47 PM
in reply to: Jungle Jenn

User image

Champion
Calgary
You can train to be fast. You can train to be tough. I am not sure you can train to be both. Back to back runs effect your speed. The only thing they are good for is mental training. And they are a poor simulation of the pain and mental torment that you will suffer in any race that lasts more than, ........20 hours or so. If you are finishing in less than 20 hours I think that back to back run may be a good simulation. But not needed at all. If you are out there for less than 20 hours it will start to suck but before you know it you will be done.

If you have been killing marathons and 50ks all year you are likely in good shape to just jump into a 100 miler. Jenn is right, go in with the don't quit mentality. If you want to train for that mentality, I don't know what to tell you. Basically you have to find that one thing that you hate more than anything, that you would give anything to avoid.....so what you do is you distill that down to about 20 gallons, you fill a tub with it and you sit in it for 10+ hours. Thing is, once you know what that feels like, you never need to train for it. That urge to stop is the enemy, and if you know what it looks like then you will see it coming and you will be able to just let it wash over you.

I.....have a lot to say on this subject. For my N=1 experience I would highly suggest you read my two 100 mile race reports

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp... Known as the teacher.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp... Known as the professor.

2013-12-03 8:47 AM
in reply to: djastroman

User image

Elite
West Allis, Wisconsin

Originally posted by djastroman Back to back long runs is very common for ultra training. Although I haven't seen many training plans that do 3 back to back to back long runs. The goal is to get out the door that second (or third!) day when you're sore and tired and get the run accomplished. While it is a physical challenge, its more of a mental challenge in my book. I wouldn't worry about pace. Running 100 miles is about survival and keeping the body moving, even when the mind is screaming at you to stop. Rocky Racoon is a great race btw. My wife will be at the 50 this year as well. I'm taking this year off but will be back for the 100 next year I hope. It got the best of me last year, as I only made it 4/5 laps. My mind was not strong enough.

bolded part is spot on and make sure your nutrition is on as well.  calories help!

2013-12-03 11:39 AM
in reply to: djdavey

User image

Expert
Alexandria, MN
Thanks for the advice everyone. I should have learned my lesson before my first full 140.6, you just can't possibly know what to expect or how you're body will react until you do it. Until then, I'll just keep trying to pile the miles on and stay healthy!
2013-12-03 3:23 PM

User image

Elite
HURRICANE, Utah
Originally posted by Climbinggonzo

Thanks for the advice everyone. I should have learned my lesson before my first full 140.6, you just can't possibly know what to expect or how you're body will react until you do it. Until then, I'll just keep trying to pile the miles on and stay healthy!

You will feel 10 times worse then your full 140.6 during and after the 100 miler Thats how my experience was......honestly I think I felt better after my Ironmans then after my first couple 50 milers - i've only done 3 full 140.6 and 5 50;s only 1 100 after the 2nd 50 miler they are hard but I dont feel as bad during or after, now since i've only done one 100 which was this april and my next is Zion next April I know that night and the next am I felt like I woulda rather given birth to twins! Yes you forget the pain of both childbirth and running the 100 - then again I only have one child too
2013-12-04 1:59 PM
in reply to: Jungle Jenn

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Jungle Jenn... You will feel 10 times worse then your full 140.6 during and after the 100 miler Thats how my experience was......honestly I think I felt better after my Ironmans then after my first couple 50 milers - i've only done 3 full 140.6 and 5 50;s only 1 100 after the 2nd 50 miler they are hard but I dont feel as bad during or after, now since i've only done one 100 which was this april and my next is Zion next April I know that night and the next am I felt like I woulda rather given birth to twins! Yes you forget the pain of both childbirth and running the 100 - then again I only have one child too

good to know.  you just killed all my enthusiasm.  

2013-12-04 3:47 PM
in reply to: morey000

User image

Elite
HURRICANE, Utah
Originally posted by morey000

Originally posted by Jungle Jenn... You will feel 10 times worse then your full 140.6 during and after the 100 miler Thats how my experience was......honestly I think I felt better after my Ironmans then after my first couple 50 milers - i've only done 3 full 140.6 and 5 50;s only 1 100 after the 2nd 50 miler they are hard but I dont feel as bad during or after, now since i've only done one 100 which was this april and my next is Zion next April I know that night and the next am I felt like I woulda rather given birth to twins! Yes you forget the pain of both childbirth and running the 100 - then again I only have one child too

good to know.  you just killed all my enthusiasm.  

If it makes you more enthusiastic I was searching for my next 100 miler a couple days later and chose Zion due to some other friends wanting to do it as well,,,,,,and I still only have one child and never wanted another
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 100 mile training pace Rss Feed