General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Nutrition for 85 miler Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-11-27 8:15 PM

User image

Subject: Nutrition for 85 miler
Hey everyone! I will be doing my first ride over 55 miles on Saturday. Other than maybe an extra water bottle, what sort of extra nutrition should I plan on? I'm thinking this will be close to 4.5 hrs! Any advice would be great. Thanks in advance

2013-11-28 12:50 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Subject: RE: Nutrition for 85 miler
I kept it simple for my rides to mimic what would be on the courses (water + sport drinks) and what I would bring with me (Gu gels since it's too hard for me to open them if they aren't tapped down after hours of riding). 1 water bottle of Gatoraid + 1 Gu an hour is my setup for 3+ hours. That's all I trained with for up to 6 hours. Sometimes I'd stop at a random water fountain I found since I needed just strait water after 4+ hours to help down the Gu. With right now being super cold, I'd maybe change it up to 1.5 Gu's/hour + water and/or some Gatoraid (or maybe watered down Gatoraid). I tried to down a bottle an hour when I rode when it was 50 and it just wasn't possible without me having to go to the restroom. My goal is to hydrate just enough to keep me going but not too much to where I need to stop during the ride but with me missing sugar from the sports drink, I think I'd need to supplement that with a little extra Gu. I'd be lucky to finish 1/2 or 3/4 a bottle an hour if it's cool out.

Edited by Blastman 2013-11-28 12:50 AM
2013-11-28 9:09 AM
in reply to: #4905687

User image

Expert
Vancouver (not Canada) Washington (not D.C.)
I like to have something more than gells and drinkn during long rides. I assume this isn't a race and or organized ride and so you will need to plan to carry or buy it on the ride. I like the chewy energy things better than gels on the bike. Experiment and being more is better
2013-11-28 11:40 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
I keep it simple too. If I were going to be riding for 4.5 hours I would try to be taking in 250-350 calories per hour. I go with all liquids for my calorie source. To do this I mix 20 oz water bottles with around 425 calories per bottle and then drink about 3/4 of a bottle per hour. Supplement with water. This is my race fueling strategy as well so I am practicing in training what I will do on race day. I used to do gels and bars but found that at race-pace it often caused nausea and "other gi upset." Since switching to all liquids I have not had this issue.

For a 4.5 hour ride I would do loops so I could pick up additional bottles or stop at convenience stores to buy more fluids. My bike is only set up for two water bottles but I guess I could rig up more cages if I wanted to carry four bottles.

This is what I have worked out over time. It is very effective for me.

Edited by wannabefaster 2013-11-28 11:42 AM
2013-11-28 8:02 PM
in reply to: wannabefaster

User image

Elite
N Carolina
Originally posted by wannabefaster

I keep it simple too. If I were going to be riding for 4.5 hours I would try to be taking in 250-350 calories per hour. I go with all liquids for my calorie source. To do this I mix 20 oz water bottles with around 425 calories per bottle and then drink about 3/4 of a bottle per hour. Supplement with water. This is my race fueling strategy as well so I am practicing in training what I will do on race day. I used to do gels and bars but found that at race-pace it often caused nausea and "other gi upset." Since switching to all liquids I have not had this issue.

For a 4.5 hour ride I would do loops so I could pick up additional bottles or stop at convenience stores to buy more fluids. My bike is only set up for two water bottles but I guess I could rig up more cages if I wanted to carry four bottles.

This is what I have worked out over time. It is very effective for me.

I also try to keep it simple by liquid only calories. I have been using the Powerbar Perform drink mix lately and find that a 20 oz mix with 275 calories (drink 1 bottle per hour) has worked well for me.

That being said, nutrition is so personal, that this may or may not work for you and finding your ideal strategy may take lots of trial and error.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Nutrition for 85 miler Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

78-85 BPM and 156 - 170 BPM Music...

Started by Holywoodboy
Views: 1461 Posts: 5

2012-08-08 1:57 PM noelle1230

Pool was 85 degrees at the Y today Pages: 1 2

Started by Mike_D
Views: 1667 Posts: 27

2012-03-22 7:07 AM GatorDeb

heed vs. water when it's 85 and humid - strategy?

Started by sharse
Views: 902 Posts: 14

2009-07-24 10:55 AM LaurenSU02

How about this trainer ride - 85 hours long...

Started by Ridgelake
Views: 1105 Posts: 8

2007-01-19 2:29 PM medic0020

85-90rpm/cadence music?

Started by tpetersen02
Views: 7364 Posts: 25

2006-09-02 7:03 PM Carl Carlson
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 8, 2009
author : Team BT
comments : 0
Top experts in triathlon nutrition answer your common training and race day nutrition questions.

date : August 20, 2008
author : mrakes1
During this past weekend's Olympic distance triathlon, lack of fuel and dehydration hurt me during the run. I feel a little lost with knowing what, when and how much to consume.
date : August 20, 2008
author : Nancy Clark
For many athletes and active people, nutrition is their missing link. Here are a few ABC’s to get you started on the path to winning with good nutrition.

date : August 17, 2007
Use this guide as a tool to perfect your nutrition during all three disciplines in a triathlon. Because not everyone requires the same quantity of macronutrients, be sure to practice your plan.
date : February 12, 2007
Now is the time to practice, perfect and master your training and racing nutrition. Especially for the beginner triathlete, this is the time for developing an individualized nutrition plan.

date : January 1, 2007
author : Nancy Clark
With the coming of the New Year, athletes commonly think about making nutrition resolutions. Good thing, given only 3 to 4% of Americans follow all of the established Dietary Guidelines.
date : July 30, 2006
Understanding the scientific concept behind a small amount of nutrition before and during your shorter triathlons.

date : January 24, 2005
author : BrianPBN
As every veteran athlete can attest, a non-existent or ill planned ‘race meal plan’ will leave you falling far short of your goals or even worse, in the medical tent.