United States
60F / 16C
Sunny
Total Time = 18m 19s
Overall Rank = 15/1953
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 1/86
Pre-race routine:

Rose around 5:30am, two cups coffee, bowl of oats in greek yogurt with pineapple. Arrived at race an hour early to do packet pickup.
Event warmup:

15 minute run building towards race pace followed by some dynamic stretching.
Run
  • 18m 19s
  • 5 kms
  • 03m 40s  min/km
Comments:

I really screwed the pooch on the start of this race. Went into it fairly fresh and with realistic expectations to go top 5 with a low 17 minute time. I knew I could go low 17 and maybe just crack 16 if the chips fell right...they didn't.

At 8am they sent off the 10k participants and I had until 8:15am til the 5k start, or so I thought. When I signed up it was an 8:15 start, at some point after that they changed it to an 8:05 start. My fault for not realizing this as I viewed the website and course a thousand times after that.

At 8:04 there was already (of course) a crowd amassed in the start corral so I told my sister I needed to start heading over that way. As I was excusing myself through the crowd, attempting to get into the corral and then to the front I hear the announcer state "we're about ready to go...at the sound of the turkey cluck you are off"...ummm, but I still have 10 more minutes! I managed to get to just about the mid way entrance break in the fence into the corral when the cluck happened and everyone was off. Adios leaders, I'm 50 rows back in traffic.

So I did what I could knowing I would never gain sight of the leaders and had to pick my way through (slow) the crowd in front. The first 3/4 mile was just that, acting like Barry Sanders and the band is on the field as I'm shuffling and dicing to pick a way through the thousand or so people. At one point this couple decided to cross the street in front of the blob of thousands...really?

Finally around a mile in I got some clear road and dialed in my pace. My plan was to target 5:30s for this race so I decided it better to just sit in on that rather than try and run anything faster in hopes of catching the leaders, not happening at this race. So I locked in around 5:30 and put it on cruise control. One bonus of starting mid pack is that you have a LOT of people to pass so it keeps it fun...always a rabbit to catch.

Passed the first aid station and somewhere around the 10 minute mark my watch, which was set to auto lap every 5 minutes, just quit. Awesome. I still had pace thankfully but no idea on time or distance now. I kept running, kept the target 5:30s and plugged along. Next thing I knew I saw the second aid station and just beyond it noticed the turn to the final block for the finish. "Holy cra*, already!?" was my reaction. Picked it up a few notches and cruised in.
What would you do differently?:

Should have been at the front of the line at the start. Then I could have gone out with the leaders and had some desire to really keep it turned up.
Post race
Warm down:

Easy two mile post race cool down run

Event comments:

Last year this was a standalone 5k but they added the 10k this year which started before the 5k but ran two loops of the 5k course. IMO, too much traffic as a fast 5k-er is having to weave through all the back of the pack 10k people. Should have kept it as a 5k only.

Last updated: 2013-11-18 12:00 AM
Running
00:18:19 | 05 kms | 03m 40s  min/km
Age Group: 1/86
Overall: 15/1953
Performance: Good
Course: Loop through downtown phoenix
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2013-11-28 2:03 PM

User image

Expert
Scottsdale, AZ
Subject: Lifetime Turkey Day 5k

2013-12-01 9:53 PM
in reply to: #4905867

User image

Master
University Park, MD
Subject: RE: Lifetime Turkey Day 5k
Too bad on the mess at the start. But at least you had lots of folks to chase. And you seem to have successfully caught everybody in your AG.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Lifetime Turkey Day 5k Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Lifetime Fitness 90 Day Challenge 5k run/walk

Started by InTheBeginning
Views: 1050 Posts: 1

2010-08-28 3:03 PM InTheBeginning

Highlands Ranch Turkey Day 5K

Started by Beka66
Views: 775 Posts: 1

2007-01-01 1:00 PM Beka66

Started by triathlonfun
Views: 1095 Posts: 1

2006-11-24 9:28 AM triathlonfun

Started by rmarzano
Views: 1239 Posts: 1

2006-11-23 10:29 PM rmarzano

Turkey Day 5k

Started by ebbenji
Views: 877 Posts: 1

2004-11-25 11:11 AM ebbenji
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 5, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 0
A few tips for beginners during taper week to settle your nerves. Includes a race day checklist and some race day tips.

date : August 8, 2008
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
Discussions on race day weakness, long course nutrition, RPE on race day and the key to a successful Ironman marathon
date : January 23, 2007
author : KenMierke
comments : 5
A powerful attraction of the calories in/calories out paradigm is its apparent simplicity. Unfortunately, the human body isn’t so simple and that is why this seemingly wonderful formula doesn't work.

date : July 2, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 1
Is there a magic number of days off for your training plan? Is it a one size fits all or an an individual choice?
date : June 14, 2005
author : tomp
comments : 1
Tips on swimming, biking and running to race-day lessons from this beginners first five months of training.

date : August 29, 2004
author : Ron
comments : 2
Overview of two walk/run routines for training for a 5K.
comments : 12
This aggressive couch to 5k program will get you running from nothing and will be the lead-up to any of the sprint programs.

comments : 2
This couch to 5k program will get your running in seven months and can be the lead-up to any of the sprint programs.