General Discussion Triathlon Talk » training for 1/2 ironman Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-11-29 10:57 AM

Subject: training for 1/2 ironman
Hello ! I'll prepare a 1/2 ironman in May, and I want to start training specificaly next week.
I have found 2 plan, the BT plan in 20 week, and this one http://www.ronebergcairns.com/2012onwards/general2012_1404.pdf.
I'm feeling better with the 2nd, what do you think ?
In addition, if I choose the 2nd it is written to add weeks in endurance phase if we are more week than 18 to train (I have 24).
If you say to me that the BT is better, how to get it 4 weeks longer ?
Thank you, have a good day !

2013-11-29 11:40 AM
in reply to: Givan

User image

Subject: RE: training for 1/2 ironman
if you wanted to make it longer, personally (and I did this with the one I used - trinewbies) - then I was take the first 4 week phase and repeat it for base building...it worked well for me
2013-11-29 12:06 PM
in reply to: austhokie

Ok, so it makes a 8 weeks prep period if I choose the BT program...
And what do you think about the other plan ? It seems really detailed, with nutrition advices, strenght work ...
I don't know what to do.
2013-11-29 12:58 PM

User image

I can't access the link at work - sorry! (and i'm not a BT paying member, so can't really look at that one easily either)

I can say this is the one I used for my HIM that was end of October - http://www.trinewbies.com/tno_trainingprograms/tno_HIM.asp- I started it May-ish and did the repeat of the first 4 weeks...it was easy, because you kept to the same schedule weekly, and distances just changes

maybe use the 4 weeks to try out the first two weeks of each plan and see which one you like better?
2013-12-01 12:49 AM

there is no bricks in the trinewbies plan ??
Finally, I'll start tomorow with this plan, 4 week at the second phase and 2 weeks at the third phase : http://www.ronebergcairns.com/2012onwards/general2012_1404.pdf, it is very progressive, a lot of bricks, and the 3 levels. I hope it is fine !
2013-12-01 10:01 AM

User image

i only did a few bricks - and had no problem - mostly after my long rides on saturday/sunday, and just followed up wiht a short (1-2 mile jog) - there is some research out there (and i'm sure others can weigh in) and that says bricks while helpful at shorter distances, aren't as useful at longer ones

2013-12-01 10:36 AM

And you think the trinewbies plan is better than the other one I found ?
2013-12-01 7:37 PM

User image

i took a look t the one you found and it (for me) would be too complicated - but if it works for you - go for it...I liked the simple, get out there, get the miles on the bike, time in the run
2013-12-03 11:29 AM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

I can't access the plan you are referring to but I have been through the BT 20 week plan four times with modifications to it.  What I have learned is that no one plan is best for everyone.  Each year I have done the canned program I have modified it more for my schedule, strengths, weaknesses, etc.  I try to stay true to the overall concept of the plan with periodization and weekly workloads but will move things around, add a little here, take a way a little there.  I start by putting the whole plan into a spreadsheet and then modify from there.  I've learned a lot about my running training over the Fall/Winter and will make some pretty big changes there for the coming season.  I do like to keep it on the simple side.

Which HIM are you doing?  I would take that into consideration when putting my plan together.  Hilly vs. flat course would change some of my workouts. 

2013-12-03 9:26 PM

User image

Queen Creek, Arizona
for me. after much looking I decided to use the 20 week 1/2 iron plan. with silver membership. it works good it has everything I need, best of all you control the workouts.. you can add bricks or cardio. I get it on my cell and log the strength at the gym.

best you cant beet the price. you will not do better because you buy a expensive plan . its the work and commitment

just my 2cent
2013-12-04 1:28 AM
in reply to: popsracer

I'm doing the 1/2 challenge in Calella (Barcelona), hilly race. Finally, I started yesterday with the BT plan, I see only good comments and I hope it will be fine !

2014-01-03 11:14 AM
in reply to: ranman69

User image

I was debating between the bronze vs silver one... I think what I want is somewhere in the middle. Did u consider the free/bronze one? I'm leaning toward the second but still on the fence, plus race not until August so have a couple extra months to do more base work. ps this will be first HIM. Suggestions welcome, Thanks!
2014-01-03 11:14 AM

User image

I was debating between the bronze vs silver one... I think what I want is somewhere in the middle. Did u consider the free/bronze one? I'm leaning toward the second but still on the fence, plus race not until August so have a couple extra months to do more base work. ps this will be first HIM. Suggestions welcome, Thanks!
2014-01-09 12:05 PM

User image

Originally posted by ranman69

for me. after much looking I decided to use the 20 week 1/2 iron plan. with silver membership. it works good it has everything I need, best of all you control the workouts.. you can add bricks or cardio. I get it on my cell and log the strength at the gym.

best you cant beet the price. you will not do better because you buy a expensive plan . its the work and commitment

just my 2cent

Thanks! yes I think I'll end up going with that one too, but I'm going to plan on trying them both - say the first and 3rd week of each and see what feels/fits better. Work and committment all the way...
2014-01-09 12:07 PM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

Originally posted by popsracer

I can't access the plan you are referring to but I have been through the BT 20 week plan four times with modifications to it.  What I have learned is that no one plan is best for everyone.  Each year I have done the canned program I have modified it more for my schedule, strengths, weaknesses, etc.  I try to stay true to the overall concept of the plan with periodization and weekly workloads but will move things around, add a little here, take a way a little there.  I start by putting the whole plan into a spreadsheet and then modify from there.  I've learned a lot about my running training over the Fall/Winter and will make some pretty big changes there for the coming season.  I do like to keep it on the simple side.

Which HIM are you doing?  I would take that into consideration when putting my plan together.  Hilly vs. flat course would change some of my workouts. 

This is helpful, and exactly what I'm looking to do. I am all about spreadsheets though I might be over-complicating it, so going to give it some attention this weekend. I'm training for the Timberman HIM in August. I'm going to come to know my local hills VERY well!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » training for 1/2 ironman Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Ironman recovery and training for next ironman?

Started by armckenzie
Views: 1614 Posts: 7

2012-05-30 1:26 PM armckenzie

Crossfit Training for my first Ironman

Started by fullylit
Views: 3305 Posts: 21

2011-11-28 2:44 PM Mrs. brown_dog_us

Training for my first Ironman

Started by psusic
Views: 1709 Posts: 11

2008-09-10 9:05 PM psusic

Weight Training while training for an Ironman

Started by android411
Views: 1114 Posts: 8

2006-05-11 12:27 PM ladavidson

Ironman and 1/2 Ironman training

Started by FIN16
Views: 3736 Posts: 9

2004-10-24 11:21 PM NoisyD
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 13, 2009
comments : 0
I signed up for Ironman Frankfurt, next year July - and I am very excited about it. I originally planned to run my first Marathon in the middle of September, but am not sure if this is wise.

date : October 10, 2009
author : qt2systems
In this fourth video of Training for an Ironman, Jesse Kropelnicki will discuss Ironman nutrition before and during the race. Includes carboloading and your race breakfast.
date : September 25, 2009
In this third video of Training for an Ironman, Jesse Kropelnicki will discuss Ironman nutrition before, during and after workouts.

date : July 7, 2009
comments : 1
In this first part of Training for an Ironman, Jesse Kropelnicki will discuss some Ironman training plan periodization fundamentals.
date : November 20, 2007
author : mikericci
Executing this full Ironman plan for 17 weeks would give people with one Ironman under their belts very good preparation for a 2nd and 3rd. Preferably, you should have a 6:30 or faster HIM time.

date : January 1, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
Inclusion is the key, with elements of the ride fulfilling the training and social needs of 95% of the membership. We have found that course selection, leadership have been the keys.
date : September 4, 2004
author : adumey
comments : 1
Willing yourself to train despite the seemingly endless distractions that cross your path and the inner-voices of self-doubt is inspiring.

date : September 4, 2004
author : adumey
The start down the road to a Half Ironman.