Maine Track Club and Peaks Island Lions Club
90F / 32C
Sunny
Total Time = 36m 27s
Overall Rank = 41/400
Age Group = M3039
Age Group Rank = 9/49
Pre-race routine:

Bowl of cereal for breakfast. Found a great parking space and headed over to the Ferry Terminal. Had a nice ride out to the Island on the boat and got a glimpse of the swimmers and kayakers doing the "Peaks to Portland" swim.
Event warmup:

After the sign-in, did a little stretching and drank 24oz of Gatorade and another 16oz water. It was already pretty hot before the race ever started. A little slow jog before the race and I was ready to go.
Run
  • 36m 27s
  • 5 miles
  • 07m 17s  min/mile
Comments:

Did the first two miles around 7:00 each. The temp started to get to me onthe third mile and I dropped to 7:45 on that one. I tried pushing the 4th mile, but could only muster a 7:30, but finished fairly strong on the last mile with a 7:10.
What would you do differently?:

I have to try starting closer to the front. Probably should eat a little more in the morning.
I might stay for the bar-b-que next year!
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around. Rhonda and the kids found me and we stopped for some ice cream before getting back on the ferry.

Last updated: 2006-06-29 12:00 AM
Running
00:36:27 | 05 miles | 07m 17s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/49
Overall: 0/400
Performance: Good
Course: This was a nice course. Pretty much around the perimeter of the Island with a figure-8 around the middle of the course. Real gentle hill here and there, but mostly flat. Alot of people out cheering and spraying hoses into the street, which was nice. The mile along the Atlantic side of the island was especially nice because there was a dramatic drop in air temp and humidity by probably 10 degrees.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-07-31 5:06 PM

User image

Expert
Portland
Subject: Peaks Island 5-Mile Road Race

2006-08-03 8:06 AM
in reply to: #498709

User image

Master
Maine
Subject: RE: Peaks Island 5-Mile Road Race
Nice job! My wife did that race last year - sounds like it was just as hot this year. At least it's in a beautiful location - also very cool that you could see the swimmers at the same time.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Peaks Island 5-Mile Road Race Rss Feed