General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Motivation during Weight Loss Plateau Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-11-30 9:10 AM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Motivation during Weight Loss Plateau
Six months ago I have gained 10 pounds and I struggle to motivate myself to lose it.
I had problems with insomnia , injuries, so I have been working out on and off.
A year ago I weighted 148 and was ripped size 6. I'm 5.7.
I think that the reason I kind of lost motivation was that did not matter what I did I could not not get into size 4 and 125.
I used to spend 15 hours a week on training, gym , my diet was perfect but I still could not be very skinny.
I'm naturally a curvy person,

I have girlfriends who are naturally size 2 , without much training. They eat generally healthy diet but also eat candy.
I got frustrated and gained 10 pounds. I do want to lose it, but my motivation is kind of low.

Why does It take so much effort for some people just to look good, not even amazing? I really would love to be very skinny.
I know that for me to look ripped and be a small size 6, I need to go to the gym 4 times a week, run about 20-25 miles a week and eat very healthy- 1400 calories and maybe 150 grams of carbs per day. If I wanted to be size 4 I would probably run 45 miles a week and eat nothing but vegies and meat.

How to motivate yourself when you have naturally slow metabolism and when it takes a lot of effort just to look good?

2013-11-30 9:14 AM
in reply to: slonce5

User image

windsor, Ontario
Subject: RE: Motivation during Weight Loss Plateau
Judging from your avatar you look pretty good to me
2013-11-30 9:45 AM
in reply to: GregDufour

User image

Veteran
Thank you. I weighted 148 when this photo was taken. Now I weight 156.
2013-11-30 10:27 AM

User image

Kenmore, Washington
What was your diet like when you gained 10 lbs?
2013-11-30 10:36 AM
in reply to: pnwdan

User image

Veteran
Too much chocolate and candy.
I can lose the 10 pounds, but I'm frustrated and demotivated because I cannot get myself to 125 pounds and to be very skinny .
2013-11-30 2:08 PM

User image

Expert

Originally posted by slonce5 Too much chocolate and candy. I can lose the 10 pounds, but I'm frustrated and demotivated because I cannot get myself to 125 pounds and to be very skinny .

Why do you want to be very skinny? 

2013-11-30 4:04 PM
in reply to: momandmd

User image

Veteran
I think that it looks good. Also the types of clothes I like, look good on skinny woman.
I'm 5.7 . I just feel that the weight goal of 125 is realistic and healthy.
2013-11-30 4:09 PM

User image

Veteran
In addition, as a bonus I would probably improve my 5 K time . I read that a 10-pound weight loss would shave about one minute off a 5K race time.
I'm not really concerned with my 5K times, but it would be nice to improve my time.
2013-11-30 5:45 PM

User image

Expert

I definitely know where you are coming from.  I am frustrated with taking off my last 10 (I'm 5'5" and 136)- for me it's all about being careful about how much I eat (I have gotten there before).  At 125 I am a 2; even at 135 I can fit into most 2s- it's all a matter of the cut.  I don't have a curvy build, so high waists don't fit, but many of the in-style clothes fit me more well than they probably should.  If you are naturally curvy your styles may be different and it may be hard to ever fit into the runway styles.

Watch your skinny friends sometime- I have noticed that most of the time my "naturally" skinny friends eat whatever they want, just not so much of it (this is what I'm trying to master again).  They have little tricks for moving food around the plate, and it's very natural for them, but they don't eat a ton.  There are a few with freakish metabolisms who can eat like a horse and not gain, but most are just cautious (or exercise a ton).  Some of them also don't exercise much, and so are thin but not healthy.  125 for you may not be a healthy weight, so why not focus on losing 10 and maintaining that- then think about trying to go down a few more?  

Also weight is not a great measure, especially if you are doing a lot of weight lifting.  It's amazing to see photos of women who have started lifting- they can be the same weight as their before pictures, but incredibly sculpted.

2014-01-30 2:01 PM

User image

Veteran
Ft. Myers, Florida
I have a question for you, and please don't think I'm asking this antagonisticly...just curious...

Say you do get to your goal weight to 125 and become "very skinny". It's clear from you're own admission that this will be very difficult, requiring cutting your calorie intake to a bare minimum and working at at nearly twice the amount you do now. So you get to this goal weight....what do you do from that point forward? Will you be able to keep up the standards you have set for yourself to get to this ideal weight? How long will be able to maintain the very low calorie/high workout requirements it's going to take to keep yourself "very skinny"? Are you willing to make this your permanent lifestyle? If so, then by all means do it! Make it work for you.

If you come to the conclusion, though, that you cannot keep up this type of lifestyle, then you may want to re-evaluate what it is that you can maintain for yourself for the very long term and accept your body for the way it is. Maybe that means weighing 135 instead of 125. Can you live with that? That should be what you ask yourself... What can you live with for the long haul? What kind of lifestyle are you willing to make for yourself in order to become as in shape and as healthy as you can become? Be honest with what is realistic for you for the rest of your life because ultimately that is more important than fitting into a size 2.
2014-01-31 11:35 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Seattle, Washington
I would just like to throw out there that I am 5'7, 147 pounds and wear a size 10. Granted I still have 5-6 pounds to get back to my "healthy" weight. Even then, my butt/thighs will only fit in a 6 in certain brands and an 8 for others. Granted I wear a small in tops. You just need to learn to dress for it. A 6 is a great combo of skinny with great curves!! Love that awesome body that you have. Think about getting back to a ripped 148 and enjoy your life.

Plus, sizes are deceiving when you are above average height for a woman. A size 2 at 5'2 is not the same as a 2 at 5'7. Yes, some people are more naturally skinny and they also have a habit of eating less. I know I have definitely had my moments of jealousy of my 110 pound friends, but then I remember I am half a foot taller than they are.

Edited by MechEChick 2014-01-31 11:39 AM

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Motivation during Weight Loss Plateau Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

weight loss and muscle loss

Started by damienmalone
Views: 1093 Posts: 6

2006-12-15 5:25 PM elektra

New weight loss motivation

Started by sister_stacie
Views: 1237 Posts: 13

2006-05-16 7:11 PM buckeye66

Over training during weight loss.

Started by gonetrialing
Views: 1230 Posts: 11

2006-02-08 10:19 PM KathyG

Fat loss, not weight loss

Started by pds0006
Views: 1214 Posts: 3

2005-08-30 11:28 AM TH3_FRB

Weight Loss Motivation

Started by cadreamer
Views: 1056 Posts: 5

2004-08-02 10:54 AM figue
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 26, 2011
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 1
Research provides insight into struggles with shedding weight while training.

date : June 29, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on losing weight during half Ironman training, high sugar fruits to avoid, and the Paleo diet.
date : May 22, 2007
author : acbadger
Are you getting adequate rest after your workouts? Rest and over-training effects on weight loss, weight gain.

date : March 21, 2007
author : acbadger
comments : 2
Interval training for weight loss. Weight training for weight loss. These interval workouts can be done in 15 to 20 minutes and have huge caloric expenditures for those who are crunched for time.
date : January 1, 2006
author : Ingrid Loos
comments : 3
I can't hold my stomach in during a race, and certainly not my rear end. Use race photos as motivation.

date : February 13, 2005
author : JeremyLikness
comments : 9
Losing fat is not difficult. So why does this continue to be an elusive goal for so many people, who “struggle” just to lose a few inches?
date : September 4, 2004
Thoughts on low carbohydrate diets in conjuntion with triathlon training.

date : September 3, 2004
author : Ron
What happens in your body when you eat, fast or workout?