General Discussion Race Reports! » Las Vegas Triathlon at Storrie Lake Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Las Vegas Triathlon at Storrie Lake - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Las Vegas, NM, New Mexico
United States
68F / 20C
Total Time = 2h 46m 10s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Lobo and I stayed at my families place north of Las Vegas. I got up and put on everything that I had oragnized the night before. I eat a bagel with peanut butter and drank a cup of coffe with my Father and Lobo. Our palce is about 1/2 an hour out of town so we packed everything up because we wouldn't be coming back. Loaded up Lobo's car and put the bikes on and off we go, except half way to town we realized we forgot our energy drinks for the bike in the refrigerator. So a quick trip back and away we went.
Event warmup:

We arrived at the lake and a lot of people were already there setting up. We saw some people from our tri group and they helped us get all of our stuff to the transition area. After setting up my area I went and got body marked and received my timing chip. Went back to make sure everything was in place, but for some reason the organizers put the bike rakes really close together and we only had a very SMALL area for transition. My age group was going off last so I didn't put on my wetsuit until I walked over to the start. I didn't warm up like I should have due to the start of the swim being about 1/4 of a mile away from transition. The swim is a point to point swim, so everyone had to walk to the start. I did a gel about 10 minutes before the start and waited for our group to go.
Swim
  • 36m 59s
  • 1640 yards
  • 02m 15s / 100 yards
Comments:

This was my first Oly tri and 1500 meter open water swim with a wetsuit. (The day before a bunch of us did a swim and I had a panic attack! We only did about 500 yards, so this completely freaked me out for the rest of the night.) So before the race I was kind of freaked out if I was going to have another attack, so Lobo started in the back with me and let everyone go crazy in front of us. Thanks Lobo, because I know you probably would have been faster if you would've been able to draft of the main group. I tried to get into a tythm and stay releaxed and it worked!!! I was able to get throught the whole swim without stopping! For me to finish the swim like that is a huge step towards me psyche and hopefully my swim will improve. The funning thing about this swim was the guy next to me doing the back stroke the whole way...really and I don't know how he was sighting? Crazy.
What would you do differently?:

I think I would've started out using a sleeveless wetsuit instead of a full.
Transition 1
  • 02m 18s
Comments:

This transition was the slowest one I've ever had, but it's a learing experience for sure. Coming out of the water I was in a daze and seemed like forever before I got my bike and started heading out of transition.

I need to prepare and practice my transitions!
Bike
  • 1h 12m 27s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 20.58 mile/hr
Comments:

I was late out of the water and knew I needed to make up time on the bike, so I tried to go all out. About 10 minutes into the bike I did a gel and I was drinking Perpetueum every 15 minutes. I felt really good on the bike and had a lot of energy, but at the turn around I was bummed to find out the down hill had a head wind. Doesn't it always work that way? About 10 minutes before the end of the bike I did another gel, but I was further than I thought and did the gel to early.

I would have tried to push harder on the up hill.
Transition 2
  • 01m 23s
Comments:

The transition was on a sideways grade and it was kind of hard to run and rack the bike, because the bikes ened up leaning to one side and would tip over easily. At this time my parents were there and my Mom was yelling to hurry up and that helped. For some reason this transition was below average too, but something to work on.

Learn to run without socks.
Run
  • 53m 6s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 08m 33s  min/mile
Comments:

I felt very sluggish on the run! It felt like I had a lot of fluid in me and I had to skip a lot of aid stations. My mind was saying to GO, but my body was wasn't having anything to do with it. My run was very sparatic varying from 9 min/mile to 7.5 min/ mile to 10 min/mile. I couldn't get into a rythmn for anything. The weather was hot and the aid stations didn't have any sports drinks, just water. Bummer.

Try harder to push myself to go faster and figure out nutrition and hydration going into the run.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around with Lobo drinking water. After the race the only thing they had was water and fruit! And by the time I finished the banana's were gone. It was pretty cool talking with Chile7473, Zia Cyclist, and Lobo. After a while Lobo and I broke down our transition area and took all of our stuff to the car. Why does it seem like your transition bag is twice as heavy after the race? Watched Codytiguy and Pilrim pick up there hardware and left.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nutrition and trying not to get too psyched out on the swim.

Event comments:

The volunteers were great, but they need to offer better on course needs, like Gatorade. Post-race nutrition needs to be better, instead of grapes and plums along with water.

Last updated: 2006-05-16 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:36:59 | 1640 yards | 02m 15s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit: yes
Course: A point to point swim ending at the boat ramp.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 02:18
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:12:27 | 24.85 miles | 20.58 mile/hr
Performance: Average
Wind: Headwind
Course: An out and back course with the out bein up hill and very steep in places.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 95
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:23
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:53:06 | 06.21 miles | 08m 33s  min/mile
Performance: Average
Course: Course was a mixure of pavement and dirt roads with two pretty steep hills, one at the beginning and one at mile four.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Too much
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 2

{postbutton}
2006-07-31 6:36 PM

Albuquerque, NM
Subject: Las Vegas Triathlon at Storrie Lake

2006-07-31 10:22 PM
in reply to: #498785

User image

Mesa
Subject: RE: Las Vegas Triathlon at Storrie Lake
Good job on your first OLY/1500 meter OWS. It was nice to meet you and Lobo. See you at SOMA.

Edited by chile7473 2006-07-31 10:22 PM
2006-08-01 9:29 AM

User image

Expert
Hawaii
Awesome job! Way to attack the cycling portion! They had bananas? Bummer.
2006-08-01 11:31 AM

User image

Expert
New Mexico
Good job, especially in overcoming your water demons.
2006-08-01 5:22 PM

User image

Veteran
Albuquerque, NM
Another race down and one step closer to being an Ironman.
2006-08-05 5:58 PM

User image

Master
Frisco, Texas

Nice race.  Way to go sub 3 in your first Oly.  It was nice meeting you.

TJ

2006-09-22 4:12 PM

User image

Expert
Excellent race!! Sounds like you overcame the fear of the OWS and had a good overall time too.  Hopefully I'll see you there next year.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Las Vegas Triathlon at Storrie Lake Rss Feed