Port Republic Recreation District
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 39m 19s
Overall Rank = 32/214
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 7/33
Pre-race routine:

Had an Ensure & Cliff Bar for breakfast a little before 6am. Just sipped on Gu20 and water after that.

Arrived a little over an hour before race start. Got my packet and set-up my transition area. Just before heading over to the swim area (15-20min before race start), had a Gu gel.

Wished my kids luck on their race--the Bambino Biathlon (.25/2/.25)--which they'd do while I was out on the bike.

Waiting for the swim to start, I met Andy (southwestmba) again. And oceanannie came up and said hello as well.
Event warmup:

Most complete warm-up I've ever done before a race.

Ran for about 10', doing a few 30sec pick-ups.
Biked for about 10', doing a few short, hard efforts.
Swam for about 5-7', again with a few short, hard efforts.

Swim
  • 14m 6s
  • 805 meters
  • 01m 45s / 100 meters
Comments:

The water was really warm. They let people use wetsuits (non-USAT), but I only have a full and decided I'd trade the saved seconds for not overheating (figuring I could save that for the bike & run). So, just swam in my tri shorts & top.

There were about 50-60 people in the wave (M30-39). Fewer than in most races I do. I figure after a few bumps in the first 100m or so it should be smooth sailing, but this was the roughest swim I have done so far. Off the start, I was getting grabbed repeatedly by someone from behind and had to resort to utilzing a stronger kick when he just wouldn't let up. And I was banged around for the entire first half of the swim.

Still, I dealt with it mostly OK and stayed on a pretty good course the whole time too. My sighting and navigation were about the best I've had so far.

Unfortunately, I was nearly a minute slower than last year. I guess the wetsuit really works.

* Time includes T1 which I estimate at about 1:30
What would you do differently?:

Nothing. I could have gone faster with the wetsuit, but it really wouldn't have mattered much today.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

Est. T1 time was about 1:20

I was a little slower in here than I should have been considering I had no wetsuit to contend with. Just not focused enough.

Move through with more purpose.
Bike
  • 54m 9s
  • 20 miles
  • 22.16 mile/hr
Comments:

I had decided I was going to push the bike and let the chips fall for the run. I took about 1-2 min. to settle in after transition and then began to push.

I was in the first wave and 14th of that group out on the bike so there were not a lot of other riders on the course to focus on. I kept trying to push my effort and hold a level that was moderately uncomfortable. Did pretty well for the first 40min or so, but power faded a bit over the last 10min. I let myself get a little frustrated that my watts weren't higher. Tried to keep myself focused on just keep pushing, but let my head get in the way a little.

I was about 7th from my wave back into T2.

* Time includes T2 which I estimate at about 1:00.

Even with my go hard strategy, I should have gone out with a bit more reserve and then pushed harder on the return leg. And mentally, I have to work on pushing myself when I get tired. For most of the return leg I was riding completely on my own (well behind those in front of me and well ahead of those behind). My effort would sag now and then and I'd have to keep re-focusing to try to keep it up.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

Est. T2 time was about 1:00

Again, transition seemed a little sluggish. I just didn't seem focused enough on clicking through the steps to get in & out quickly.

Focus.
Run
  • 31m 4s
  • 4 miles
  • 07m 46s  min/mile
Comments:

It was hot and my legs were tired. So the goal was to try to at least hold close to HIM goal pace (@8min/mi). Managed to do that, but it was a struggle. By the last mile or so, I got some side stitching and had to pull up to a walk briefly a few times to work it out. I was able to push my effort and pace up over the last 1/2mi or so.

Hard to rate this run accurately since it was heavily influenced by my bike strategy today. Still, I could have done a better job mentally in allowing myself to "suffer" more. Probably convinced myself it was going to be a tough run even before I got there and let that influence my effort level (too ready to accept that 8min pace).

Also, I tried to drink a lot since I knew it was hot. But I may have gone a bit overboard as I got a little sloshy at one point and that may have contributed to the side stitching as well.
Post race
Warm down:

Met up with my family & friends. Jack was very proud that he moved up 25 places overall from last year in the Bambino. Got 3rd in his AG (7-8 yo). Emma decided not to race at the last minute.

Drank and got some post-race food. Met up with Andy again. He had a great race, getting a faster time than last year. Saw Rhonda (writers2) come into the finish and get a big round of applause. Tried to look for oceanannie again, but didn't see her.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Heat and pace on the bike. Could have posted a better time if I had gone more conservative on the bike. But my goal was to learn what it was like to push hard on the bike--and I did. Also learned I need to improve my mental game--probably need to race a little more to practice this well.

Event comments:

This is one of the nicest races that I do. Small field, but solid competition level. I like the distance and the course itself. The kids' race is a great add-on and the post-race food is better than most. May just go and watch the kids next year since it will be a week after LP, but in 2 years I hope I'm challenging for an AG award here--just have to keep working on getting stronger on the bike & run.

Last updated: 2006-05-30 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:14:06 | 805 meters | 01m 45s / 100meters
Age Group: 8/33
Overall: 57/214
Performance: Good
Avg HR - 160, climbed steadily from 130 at the start and top out in the low 170s and spiked to 175 after exiting the water. Actual swim time was probably about 12:45 (1:35 pace)
Suit: no wetsuit
Course: Out & back course, though the return lets you "cut" the distance a little so maybe a bit under 1/2mile.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 82F / 28C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:54:09 | 20 miles | 22.16 mile/hr
Age Group: 5/33
Overall: 21/214
Entire ride (263w): Duration: 53:12 Work: 841 kJ TSS: 82 (intensity factor 0.962) Norm Power: 269 Distance: 20.19 mi Min Max Avg Power: 0 598 263 watts Heart Rate: 160 173 169 bpm Cadence: 31 128 91 rpm Speed: 2.7 28.3 22.8 mph Torque: 0 277 77 lb-in
Wind: Little
Course: Out and back course. Mostly flat, though out was slightly downhill and back slightly up.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Too hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
00:31:04 | 04 miles | 07m 46s  min/mile
Age Group: 15/33
Overall: 68/214
Avg. HR - 168 Held around that level for most of the run until about the last 1/2mi or so when I picked up my pace and effort. Approx. splits: 8:05, 7:42, 8:15, 7:02
Course: Flat loop course on roads.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Too much
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2006-07-31 7:36 PM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Subject: Jersey Genesis Triathlon

2006-07-31 10:14 PM
in reply to: #498808

User image

Master
Royersford, PA
Subject: RE: Jersey Genesis Triathlon
Nice to meet up with you again, Johnny. Man you were absolutely flying on the bike when you passed me going the other direction. Good luck at Timberman and congrats to your son on placing in the Bambino Biathlon. Pretty soon he'll be giving you a run for your money.
2006-08-01 7:49 AM

User image

Master
Cinnaminson, NJ
Nice race Johnny Kay....
2006-08-01 8:24 AM
in reply to: #499094

User image

Philadelphia, south of New York and north of DC
Way to go, bro!
2006-08-01 8:37 AM
in reply to: #499094

User image

Elite
New City, New York

Bambino Bi - love the name. I see some serious jockstapping in your future! Nice.

Good race for you too. Like Steelman for me a great learning experience. I often wonder too, how much of the bike is mental vs phyiscal. I think the mind takes over when the body can do much more. And your right, we need to race more to find out.  

2006-08-01 2:31 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Home port
Very impressive swim time.  I told you all that swimming would pay-off!  As far as your overall time, you did freakin great considering it was 90 degrees!!

2006-08-02 5:20 AM

User image

Master
Maine
Very solid work in some nasty heat.
2006-08-02 3:25 PM

Veteran
Thanks for mentioning me in your race report. I really choked the race this year (did a lot better last year thanks to the heat and headwind....the whole way).
Got a plaque though, by default! Yippee.
How the hell did you bike that fast in that wind. You smoked it. Proud of you.
It was ridiculously hot, wasn't it?
Rhonda
2006-08-03 3:07 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southeast, PA
great race....7/33 in that AG is awesome.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Jersey Genesis Triathlon Rss Feed