General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Cheap maternity swimsuits? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-12-02 7:20 PM

User image

Veteran
, New Jersey
Subject: Cheap maternity swimsuits?
I need advice on buying a suit online. Normally I try them on in the store and don't mind spending $60 on a decent suit because I know I'll be wearing it at least twice a week until it falls apart; the suit I'm wearing now actually still fits me despite my growing belly, but it's old and wearing too thin to wear in public. Swimoutlet.com and other sites are having huge sales on competition suits, but actual maternity suits are expensive! I don't need it to look perfect, obviously; I just need a suit that will fit me until I deliver, since swimming is one thing that I won't have to stop doing.

I don't remember what size suit I bought last. I'm petite- 5'3" and normally a size 2-4 in pants, size XS/S in maternity pants. Can anyone recommend what size to buy in competition suits? I'd really prefer to spend $30 or less if possible, and there are tons of options right now.

2013-12-02 8:01 PM
in reply to: #4907330

Subject: RE: Cheap maternity swimsuits?
When I was pregnant, I just bought a couple if cheap grab bag suits from swim outlet that were a couple sizes bigger than my usual. When I was very pregnant (8-9 months) my 2 piece was my favorite. Of course, it was a hideous neon yellow (that's what you get sometimes with the grab bag...) but at that point I didn't care what I looked like, I was just glad to still be swimming! Best wishes for an easy pregnancy
2013-12-03 11:31 AM
in reply to: oneskineejosie

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by oneskineejosie

When I was pregnant, I just bought a couple if cheap grab bag suits from swim outlet that were a couple sizes bigger than my usual. When I was very pregnant (8-9 months) my 2 piece was my favorite. Of course, it was a hideous neon yellow (that's what you get sometimes with the grab bag...) but at that point I didn't care what I looked like, I was just glad to still be swimming! Best wishes for an easy pregnancy

x2 to this! Size up as you get bigger and 2 piece suit is gold once you're huge. I'm not afraid to show skin and the belly didn't make me modest, so I wore a regular 2 piece suit (not maternity) during the last 2 months. I swam laps up until the day I delivered.
2013-12-03 11:55 AM
in reply to: jarvy01

User image

Pro
Burbs

Originally posted by jarvy01
Originally posted by oneskineejosie When I was pregnant, I just bought a couple if cheap grab bag suits from swim outlet that were a couple sizes bigger than my usual. When I was very pregnant (8-9 months) my 2 piece was my favorite. Of course, it was a hideous neon yellow (that's what you get sometimes with the grab bag...) but at that point I didn't care what I looked like, I was just glad to still be swimming! Best wishes for an easy pregnancy
x2 to this! Size up as you get bigger and 2 piece suit is gold once you're huge. I'm not afraid to show skin and the belly didn't make me modest, so I wore a regular 2 piece suit (not maternity) during the last 2 months. I swam laps up until the day I delivered.

I did this -- wore an Speedo twice piece suit with the bottoms under my belly - worked out well and I didn't need to go "maternity"

2013-12-03 4:02 PM
in reply to: trishie

User image

Veteran
, New Jersey
Thanks guys! I'll try that. I'm certainly not worried about looking stylish!
2013-12-03 4:53 PM
in reply to: eyosh

User image

Pro

If you find a top you like, buy it in the next two sizes up. My friend (who is due today!) ended up swimming in Speedo bottoms, and went through two or three sizes of the Pearl Izumi Elite Crop top (sports bra like tri top). And she'll be able to use them as her body changes again after birth/breastfeeding.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Cheap maternity swimsuits? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Maternity Tri Apparel?

Started by rach_1623
Views: 2623 Posts: 10

2012-05-01 4:56 PM KathyG

maternity workout clothes

Started by debbiereid06
Views: 1396 Posts: 8

2011-04-02 2:54 PM jellyfish

Maternity "belly band"

Started by acumenjay
Views: 1454 Posts: 12

2010-12-03 4:39 PM owl_girl

Maternity Bike Shorts?

Started by kamal19
Views: 3574 Posts: 9

2010-07-03 4:57 PM tricrazy

Cheap Swimsuits

Started by Comet
Views: 2432 Posts: 16

2006-03-07 8:42 PM Tri-It
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 1, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 9
I am not going to buy a tri-suit before my first tri - I want to make sure I am going to stick with this before I spend a lot of money on it so I want to figure out what will work best.

date : September 2, 2004
author : Michael
comments : 0
Downloadable race-day checklist for your triathlon preparation. Everything you need to bring from your bike to drinks.