General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Barefoot ride in IM Cozumel Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-12-05 9:13 AM

User image

Champion
Atlanta, Ga
Subject: Barefoot ride in IM Cozumel
One of our athletes found herself coming out of T1 with no shoes in her bag. Instead of throwing up her hands, she decided to buck up and do the ride anyway. Forget the why for a moment and ask yourself...would you have the will power and determination to finish this ride barefoot?

She finished the bike AND finished the race!

The first question people have asked is why she didn't use her run shoes. Well at IM Coz T1 & T2 are 7 miles apart.

We are super proud of her for Winning this race and pushing all the way to the end. I don't know if I have the determination she does. So impressed.

Thank you to the folks at TriJuice for sending us this photo.

Edited by Marvarnett 2013-12-05 9:14 AM

Attachments
----------------
JVO IM Cozumel bike.jpeg (70KB - 131 downloads)

2013-12-05 9:28 AM
in reply to: Marvarnett

User image

Master
Subject: RE: Barefoot ride in IM Cozumel
That has been my biggest nightmare before races, especially 2 transition races that require day before equipment check-in. No way could I ride 112 miles in bare feet. Even with shoes, over 80 m I tend to start getting hot spots on my feet.
2013-12-05 9:31 AM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

I would not use the word "impressed", but certainly something most people wouldn't do for obvious reasons. 

2013-12-05 9:38 AM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

What kind of pedals are they?  It would certainly work better with some!  I think my Speedplays would be really tough.

2013-12-05 9:53 AM
in reply to: axteraa

User image

Champion
Atlanta, Ga
Originally posted by axteraa

What kind of pedals are they?  It would certainly work better with some!  I think my Speedplays would be really tough.

They are Look's, so larger platform.

I just found out that she put a piece of cardboard on the pedal and also on her foot to help out.
2013-12-05 9:54 AM

User image

Master
Sedona, AZ
Originally posted by Marvarnett

One of our athletes found herself coming out of T1 with no shoes in her bag. Instead of throwing up her hands, she decided to buck up and do the ride anyway. Forget the why for a moment and ask yourself...would you have the will power and determination to finish this ride barefoot?

The first question people have asked is why she didn't use her run shoes. Well at IM Coz T1 & T2 are 7 miles apart.

We are super proud of her for Winning this race and pushing all the way to the end. I don't know if I have the determination she does. So impressed.

It depends a lot on the pedals but in any case, it takes a lot of determination. The really crazy part is she won the race? AG I assume?

2013-12-05 9:59 AM
in reply to: MonkeyClaw

User image

Champion
Atlanta, Ga
Originally posted by MonkeyClaw

It depends a lot on the pedals but in any case, it takes a lot of determination. The really crazy part is she won the race? AG I assume?

In this case, winning the moment. It's beyond the results. Her bike was 8h 50m, so not winning in the results sense but in the race sense.
2013-12-05 10:02 AM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by axteraa

They are Look's, so larger platform. I just found out that she put a piece of cardboard on the pedal and also on her foot to help out.

Nice!  Very creative and level headed of her to improvise and come up with a solution to the problem like that.

2013-12-05 10:02 AM

User image

I would have begged a volunteer or someone in or around T1 (that wouldn't count as outside support) to have the shoes off their feet.

2013-12-05 11:55 AM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX

Originally posted by Marvarnett One of our athletes found herself coming out of T1 with no shoes in her bag. Instead of throwing up her hands, she decided to buck up and do the ride anyway. Forget the why for a moment and ask yourself...would you have the will power and determination to finish this ride barefoot? She finished the bike AND finished the race! The first question people have asked is why she didn't use her run shoes. Well at IM Coz T1 & T2 are 7 miles apart. We are super proud of her for Winning this race and pushing all the way to the end. I don't know if I have the determination she does. So impressed. Thank you to the folks at TriJuice for sending us this photo.

I have heard this story before with IMCOZ, missing transition bags. My boyfriend did the race in 2010 and a couple of people didn't have T2 bags and had to beg shoes from spectators. 

I don't think the bags gets lost. I think they get taken along the way and some expensive items are kept or sold on ebay later. I mean really, does ANY OTHER IM have an issue with missing transition bags?

She's hardcore for finishing the race. You can beg bike shoes off the crowd!!!! 

2013-12-05 12:48 PM
in reply to: KSH

Originally posted by KSH

Originally posted by Marvarnett One of our athletes found herself coming out of T1 with no shoes in her bag. Instead of throwing up her hands, she decided to buck up and do the ride anyway. Forget the why for a moment and ask yourself...would you have the will power and determination to finish this ride barefoot? She finished the bike AND finished the race! The first question people have asked is why she didn't use her run shoes. Well at IM Coz T1 & T2 are 7 miles apart. We are super proud of her for Winning this race and pushing all the way to the end. I don't know if I have the determination she does. So impressed. Thank you to the folks at TriJuice for sending us this photo.

I have heard this story before with IMCOZ, missing transition bags. My boyfriend did the race in 2010 and a couple of people didn't have T2 bags and had to beg shoes from spectators. 

I don't think the bags gets lost. I think they get taken along the way and some expensive items are kept or sold on ebay later. I mean really, does ANY OTHER IM have an issue with missing transition bags?

I've heard this one about IM Coz as well (my buddy did it a few years ago and his shoes got "lost"). Never heard it from anyone about any other race.

2013-12-05 2:32 PM
in reply to: danimal123

User image

Master
Originally posted by danimal123

Originally posted by KSH

I've heard this one about IM Coz as well (my buddy did it a few years ago and his shoes got "lost"). Never heard it from anyone about any other race.

I had wetsuit vanish at REV3 Anderson last year with a 2 transition set-up so it does happen at other races
2013-12-05 2:35 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX

Originally posted by pschriver
Originally posted by KSH

I had wetsuit vanish at REV3 Anderson last year with a 2 transition set-up so it does happen at other races

Please explain. What it stolen out of transition after you left it there to go ride your bike? Or taken before you were able to get to transition in the morning? 

At IMCOZ their transition bags just aren't there when they go to get them. Nothing. At all. No bag. (I'm not saying that is the OP's friend, I'm just saying that's why I heard in 2010- there wasn't even a transition bag there.)

Edited by KSH 2013-12-05 2:36 PM
2013-12-05 8:00 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Originally posted by KSH

Originally posted by pschriver
Originally posted by KSH

Please explain. What it stolen out of transition after you left it there to go ride your bike? Or taken before you were able to get to transition in the morning? 

At IMCOZ their transition bags just aren't there when they go to get them. Nothing. At all. No bag. (I'm not saying that is the OP's friend, I'm just saying that's why I heard in 2010- there wasn't even a transition bag there.)

At REV3 Anderson you strip off the wet suit and goggles at T1 and then ride away on the bike to T2. They truck all of the stuff back to T2 but somehow my bag didn't make it. I had to go to work so I talked to one of the "REV 3 people" who took my info and said they would call when they found it. Ironically myself and a friend placed in our age groups so I went back to pick up our awards after work. I was told that my bag was found but was packed up and on the way to Fla. They took my contact info again and said it would be mailed to me. That was the last I heard about it. The wetsuit has my contact info in it FWIW

I did Cozumel a couple of years ago. If I remember correctly, I left my helmet and shoes with my bike in T1 the day before and then stopped by the morning of the race to fill my water bottles, pump my tires and turn on my Garmin prior to the swim start.

Edited by pschriver 2013-12-05 8:09 PM
2013-12-06 1:49 PM
in reply to: pschriver

User image

Veteran
Harrison, Oh
I saw her out there on the bike!!! Riding with socks, but no shoes. I wondered what had happened!!

WOW ~ kudos to her for getting it done!

Thanks for sharing.
2013-12-06 1:58 PM

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
thats amazing.

I don't think I could do that for 112 miles

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Barefoot ride in IM Cozumel Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Has anyone done IM Cozumel?

Started by Alphamale
Views: 1608 Posts: 22

2013-03-15 12:28 PM KSH

How fast does IM Cozumel sell out?

Started by thebigb
Views: 1276 Posts: 9

2012-09-22 5:23 PM runk8run

IM Florida or Cozumel?

Started by thebigb
Views: 1605 Posts: 14

2012-09-14 2:52 PM trishie

First IM - IM Mont Tremblant or IM Florida?

Started by firemedic001918
Views: 2555 Posts: 11

2014-07-28 10:47 AM KSH

Nutrition for long bike rides / 1/2 IM

Started by jtopin
Views: 1049 Posts: 16

2006-05-03 8:35 AM Daremo
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 2, 2012
author : alicefoeller
comments : 3
A comprehensive look at a controversial trend-- for triathletes like you

date : November 2, 2011
author : AMSSM
comments : 4
A doctor's take on how to safely transition to minimalist shoes and how to treat existing injuries
date : October 4, 2011
comments : 8
Sports medicine doc weighs in on the pros and cons of barefoot running

date : March 9, 2010
comments : 1
Most people believe that running barefoot is dangerous. Certainly, depending upon the surface, they would be correct. However, there is some suggestion that running barefoot may reduce injuries.
date : December 15, 2008
author : FitWerx
comments : 0
I own both a road bike and a tri bike. I am wondering which bike I should be riding during off season training, or does it matter?

date : July 8, 2008
author : Writebrained
comments : 10
Riding Zen means nothing more than being keenly aware of your surroundings and in control of your emotional state at all times. It also means riding safe and riding smart.
date : June 27, 2007
author : Coach AJ
Questions and answers on HIM training with a sprained ankle, metric century plan basics, Olympic speedwork, Ironman commuter rides, bricks, HIM before IM recovery and post race nutrition.

date : April 11, 2007
author : Coach AJ
Discussion on the walk/run technique, run injury and cadence, barefoot running, staying aero on long climbs and HIM preparation