Other Resources The Political Joe » Protests for $15 an hour minimum wage Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2013-12-10 10:13 AM
in reply to: jmcconne

Subject: RE: Protests for $15 an hour minimum wage
I lost a job a few years back, and thankfully, was able to rebound into something similar relatively quickly, with comparable pay. But, times are tough, and there are some I know who have had to accept two minimum wage positions, to make ends meet, while they continue to circulate their resumes…hopeful of gaining a role within a company that suits their education and work history. I see the pros and cons of raising the minimum wage…but, I’m wondering if that will offset other jobs. Will employers be ‘forced’ to pay more for jobs that are not minimum wage, in order to continue to attract the talent they want? IDK. At the end of the day, will raising the minimum wage be counterproductive, in the long run?

2013-12-10 10:24 AM
in reply to: Bodaggit

User image

Expert
Boise, ID

Originally posted by Bodaggit
Originally posted by msteiner

Asking for $15 minimum wage is simply people wanting more money to do the same thing their doing now out of a pure sense of entitlement.  They haven't thought about the effects of raising the minimum wage, nor are they wanting to do anything to improve their position.  They just want more and don't care how they get it.

Ignoring the cheap grammar shot I could take at your post, you display staggering ignorance. "They just want more and don't care how they get it." -- I don't know your situation, and I don't presume to know you at all, but words like these are usually spoken by people who have never had to struggle.

Have you ever managed to write a post that was not a personal attack?

Feel free to disagree with the point, but leave the personal attacks out next time. 

2013-12-10 10:51 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Elite
Boise
Just to shed some light on the minimum wage debate, here are some numbers for Idaho, which is one of the more low income states.

Today’s median annual salary — the point at which half the people make more and half less — in Idaho is $23,192 for all full- and part-time workers. That’s dead last in the country, according to a U.S. Census report.

The Great Recession hit Idaho harder than most states. Based on median hourly wages, Idaho slipped from 34th to 42nd between 2008 to 2011, the steepest decline of any state, the state Labor Department says. The hourly median wage climbed slightly from $14.32 in 2008 to $14.54 in 2010 before dropping to $14.51 in 2011.

Read more here: http://www.idahostatesman.com/2013/02/05/2439246/the-history-of-ida...

So as you can see roughly half the people in the state of Idaho would be affected by a $15/hr minimum wage. This report is almost a year old, but it's the most current I've seen.

Edited by JoshR 2013-12-10 10:52 AM
2013-12-10 11:26 AM
in reply to: JoshR

User image

Expert
Boise, ID

Originally posted by JoshR Just to shed some light on the minimum wage debate, here are some numbers for Idaho, which is one of the more low income states.
Today’s median annual salary — the point at which half the people make more and half less — in Idaho is $23,192 for all full- and part-time workers. That’s dead last in the country, according to a U.S. Census report. The Great Recession hit Idaho harder than most states. Based on median hourly wages, Idaho slipped from 34th to 42nd between 2008 to 2011, the steepest decline of any state, the state Labor Department says. The hourly median wage climbed slightly from $14.32 in 2008 to $14.54 in 2010 before dropping to $14.51 in 2011. Read more here: http://www.idahostatesman.com/2013/02/05/2439246/the-history-of-ida...
So as you can see roughly half the people in the state of Idaho would be affected by a $15/hr minimum wage. This report is almost a year old, but it's the most current I've seen.

This brings up another problem with the $15 min wage. $15 an hour is a pretty good wage around here. I know numerous college grads who do not make this much money. If I am a college grad making $12.50 an hour (what I was making right out of school at a cushy government job), why would I continue to to work for that when I can go to McD's and make $15. I had to work a year and get promoted until I was managing 40 people before I got to $15 an hour. If I run a McD's and am looking to hire, am I going to take the single, mother of three, high school drop out? Or am I going to hire the college grad? Might even out eventually once the better jobs start having to pay more money to get qualified workers, but in the short/medium term, there would be tons of "working poor" people who would lose their jobs. Really bad news when they lose their $8 per hour job and prices of basic goods double.

Course all of this is just a stupid ploy to get us to talk about min wage instead of Obamacare. Everyone knows the min wage isn't going anywhere. The big McD's protest managed 200 people in NY. All just media focus trying to get away from the the disaster that takes affect Jan 1. 

2013-12-10 11:39 AM

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

Originally posted by JoshR Just to shed some light on the minimum wage debate, here are some numbers for Idaho, which is one of the more low income states.
Today’s median annual salary — the point at which half the people make more and half less — in Idaho is $23,192 for all full- and part-time workers. That’s dead last in the country, according to a U.S. Census report. The Great Recession hit Idaho harder than most states. Based on median hourly wages, Idaho slipped from 34th to 42nd between 2008 to 2011, the steepest decline of any state, the state Labor Department says. The hourly median wage climbed slightly from $14.32 in 2008 to $14.54 in 2010 before dropping to $14.51 in 2011. Read more here: http://www.idahostatesman.com/2013/02/05/2439246/the-history-of-ida...

No, 100% of the people would be affected.

I work at a gym where the average wage is about $12/hour.  The average membership is $30/month.  Using what I know about the monthly payroll costs and number of members, Raising the minimum wage to $15 would raise dues approximately $3.25/month.  That's approximately an 11% increase to our members, and that's assuming that our average wage only goes to $15.  In reality, I would expect it to go higher, because we would then need to compete with other employers who had been paying their employees less than $12 previously.  In the end, the entire wage scale slides up, driving inflation, and everyone's back where they started, only we're using bigger numbers.

2013-12-10 11:43 AM
in reply to: TriMyBest

User image

Expert
Boise, ID

Originally posted by TriMyBest

I work at a gym where the average wage is about $12/hour.  The average membership is $30/month.  Using what I know about the monthly payroll costs and number of members, Raising the minimum wage to $15 would raise dues approximately $3.25/month.  That's approximately an 11% increase to our members, and that's assuming that our average wage only goes to $15.  In reality, I would expect it to go higher, because we would then need to compete with other employers who had been paying their employees less than $12 previously.  In the end, the entire wage scale slides up, driving inflation, and everyone's back where they started, only we're using bigger numbers.

Exactly. Although with all the shiny new printing presses they keep building for the Fed, we will definitely not have a problem printing enough cash for the new numbers. 

Raising minimum wage will do nothing to raise living standards, it is just a numbers game. The same job will still buy the same standard of living.

What the min wage workers should really be peeved about is Obamacare slashing their hours back to 25 hrs a week. 

2013-12-10 12:11 PM
in reply to: TriMyBest

User image

Elite
Boise

I meant half the people in this state would have their pay increased all else being equal.
2013-12-10 1:16 PM

User image

Elite
Boise
2013-12-10 3:46 PM

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
Originally posted by JoshR

Also, let's not forget things like this happen.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-04-28/mcdonald-s-hires-62-000-du...

1 in 16 of getting a job based on there numbers. Not very good odds for the company everyone can instantly get a job at.
2013-12-10 4:13 PM
in reply to: msteiner

Extreme Veteran

Asking for $15 minimum wage is simply people wanting more money to do the same thing their doing now out of a pure sense of entitlement.  They haven't thought about the effects of raising the minimum wage, nor are they wanting to do anything to improve their position.  They just want more and don't care how they get it.

Ignoring the cheap grammar shot I could take at your post, you display staggering ignorance. "They just want more and don't care how they get it." -- I don't know your situation, and I don't presume to know you at all, but words like these are usually spoken by people who have never had to struggle.

Your last sentence assumes that I haven't worked hard.  Do I look like someone who doesn't understand that hard work pays off?  I worked all my way through high school and worked in college, while still having to take loans.  It was challenging at times, but I got to where I am now by working through it and not waiting for someone to get my salary for me.  I'm sorry if expecting others to do the same is out of line. 

When I say "and don't care how they get it", I'm referring to the ramifications of raising the minimum wage that has been brought up enough in this thread that it doesn't bear repeating.  They simply want more, because they think they deserve more.  That's not how things work.

Also you're correct.  I used "their" instead of "they're".  My apologies.

I didn't say you didn't work hard. I said words like yours are typically spoken by people who have never had to *struggle*. My point is underscored by the fact that you think the two are the same.
2013-12-10 4:54 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

I didn't say you didn't work hard. I said words like yours are typically spoken by people who have never had to *struggle*. My point is underscored by the fact that you think the two are the same.

I'm pretty sure 'work' and 'struggle' are synonyms of each other.  Did you have a point contributing to the topic, or did you just feel like arguing?

2013-12-11 4:48 AM

User image

Pearland,Tx
Raising minimum wage of fastfood employees to $15.00 maybe good for America. American companies bounce the cost to the consumers. Meaning fast food prices may go up ,might be better therefore Americans may stop eating unhealthy greasy lard french fries and 1500 calories heart attack burgers.500 Calories sodas.

The best thing i can see from this are if fastfood companies go for the $15/hr. starts multi tasking the responsibilities forcing fastfood employees work double. They will be doing jobs good for two people favors the employer only have to pay one person for benefits. IF the employees find this abuse thats ok the illegals about to be legalized by Obama is just waiting for the opportunity to fill in. I flipped burgers before they will go for the job and will not complain,seriously they even work better than the ones who comes to work grumpy complains all day not getting paid enough.

Edited by strykergt 2013-12-11 4:51 AM
2013-12-11 5:34 AM

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

I meant half the people in this state would have their pay increased all else being equal.

I understood that.  My point was that raising minimum wage affects a lot more than just increasing the amount that a percentage of workers take home in their pay check.  There is a domino effect that ultimately ends with everyone making more and paying more for everything.  That part isn't really debatable.  What's debatable is whether in the end it's a net-zero change or if there is a marginal benefit to the minimum wage workers based on the assumption that their wage increases will be a greater % than the inflation that raising minimum wage causes.

2013-12-11 8:12 AM

User image

I understood that.  My point was that raising minimum wage affects a lot more than just increasing the amount that a percentage of workers take home in their pay check.  There is a domino effect that ultimately ends with everyone making more and paying more for everything.  That part isn't really debatable.  What's debatable is whether in the end it's a net-zero change or if there is a marginal benefit to the minimum wage workers based on the assumption that their wage increases will be a greater % than the inflation that raising minimum wage causes.

There is a marginal benefit in the short term while the economic markets are artificially out of equilibrium. But the market will always find equilibrium and minimum wage workers will eventually have the same economic buying power whether you pay them $7.50 or $100 per hour. The economic casualty in all this "living wage" fallacy is that you'll have less minimum wage workers. If you happen to check out teen unemployment numbers, especially for minorities, you'll see what I mean.

Edited by Jackemy1 2013-12-11 8:13 AM
2013-12-11 3:19 PM

Extreme Veteran

I'm pretty sure 'work' and 'struggle' are synonyms of each other.  Did you have a point contributing to the topic, or did you just feel like arguing?

You've only underscored my point. Peace.

Edited by Bodaggit 2013-12-11 3:21 PM
2013-12-17 9:38 AM

User image

Elite
Boise
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-12-17/the-minimum-wage-and-mcdon...

Some good info on minimum wage and taxpayer subsidies.

Relevant part here to this thread

Another surprise about fast-food workers: They are no longer mostly teenagers. More than two-thirds are adults; more than one in four are raising children.

2013-12-17 10:46 AM

User image

Champion
Southern Chicago Suburbs, IL

Originally posted by JoshR http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-12-17/the-minimum-wage-and-mcdon... Some good info on minimum wage and taxpayer subsidies. Relevant part here to this thread
Another surprise about fast-food workers: They are no longer mostly teenagers. More than two-thirds are adults; more than one in four are raising children.

Also, just as an aside, when the economy is doing very well, turnover rates in the foodservice sector are ridiculously high.  Anywhere from 120-140%.  When the economy is in the crapper like it has been, that rate drops down to around 70-90%.  I do not know what those numbers look like split between Quick Service and Full Service

2013-12-17 10:50 AM
in reply to: jmcconne

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX

Originally posted by jmcconne Does anyone think that artificially raising the cost of low skilled labor for fast food restaurants does much else than increase the speed at which these jobs are automated? If anything like this is put in place I believe for a short time a large number of these employees will make more money, but I can ask my phone for directions so it isn't a huge leap for me to ask a computer for a number 5 with a diet coke. Worst case I put the order into a kiosk or smart phone. I believe the problem is that people are attempting to support families with jobs that require little manual labor and very little skills. These types of jobs are meant for teenagers and college students. We need to invest in increasing the skillset of these employees so they can create larger marginal impacts to their firms. This can be done through lowering the cost of college, but also investing in trade school type training.

At an airport I was in (Kentucky?) I placed my order for a Quizno's sandwich at a kiosk and paid for it there. Then I picked it up. Technically, the only workers needed were to make the food. Of course, they still had counter people for people who wanted to order from them. These are probably people still using phone books in their house.  

2013-12-25 12:58 PM
in reply to: mcgilmartin

Master
, California

Originally posted by mcgilmartin OK, I stand corrected on my assumption. I still don't think anyone would be employed for minimum wage for any extended period of time though (unless they were disabled or something). Again, correct me if I'm wrong.

I think that used to be the case, but nowadays with this recession, you have more people taking any job they can get.

I was in about the same situation you were -- I think I made $3.85 at my first job.  But I'll tell you, that wage had a lot more buying power back then, too.  Gas was $0.99 / gal, milk, food, everything was far less expensive.

Think about the amount of money the government is printing.  That's where the real discussion is.  Minimum wage protests are just a side effect.

2013-12-30 12:40 PM
in reply to: SGirl

User image

Originally posted by SGirl The problem I foresee is if the minimum wage rate shoots up, that will cause pricing from all venues to go up for the consumer, so in the long run (or maybe short run) will it ultimately be counter productive to the economy?

The benefit would be more people making closer to the same wage, we would be increasing the number of people at the bottom and closing the wage gap between the bottom and the middle class. What could possibly be wrong with that?

2013-12-30 12:43 PM
in reply to: mcgilmartin

User image

Originally posted by mcgilmartin OK, I stand corrected on my assumption. I still don't think anyone would be employed for minimum wage for any extended period of time though (unless they were disabled or something). Again, correct me if I'm wrong.

Correct me if I'm wrong but the higher Minimum wages gets the more incorrect your statements will be. 

2013-12-30 12:57 PM
in reply to: Jackemy1

User image

Originally posted by Jackemy1

There is a marginal benefit in the short term while the economic markets are artificially out of equilibrium. But the market will always find equilibrium and minimum wage workers will eventually have the same economic buying power whether you pay them $7.50 or $100 per hour. The economic casualty in all this "living wage" fallacy is that you'll have less minimum wage workers. If you happen to check out teen unemployment numbers, especially for minorities, you'll see what I mean.

I am curious if you could provide support for this statement. I would think the higher you make the minimum wage the more people you would have earning the minimum?

Taking my position to the extreme, prior to any minimum wage there were 0 people earning a minimum wage, after it was legislated you had more. When they increase the minimum wage not everyone gets a raise of the same amount or percentage increase as what the minimum wage earner gets, thus leaving more people making the minimum or closer to the minimum. 

Maybe when we increase the minimum wage we should also put in a clause that increases all other workers wage by the same dollar amount or percent? What would be wrong with that? 

2013-12-31 2:22 AM
in reply to: crusevegas

User image

Master
Beijing

What would you think of someone who only does the minimum?

2013-12-31 8:14 AM
in reply to: crusevegas

User image

Originally posted by crusevegas

I am curious if you could provide support for this statement. I would think the higher you make the minimum wage the more people you would have earning the minimum?

Taking my position to the extreme, prior to any minimum wage there were 0 people earning a minimum wage, after it was legislated you had more. When they increase the minimum wage not everyone gets a raise of the same amount or percentage increase as what the minimum wage earner gets, thus leaving more people making the minimum or closer to the minimum. 

Maybe when we increase the minimum wage we should also put in a clause that increases all other workers wage by the same dollar amount or percent? What would be wrong with that? 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGKUyBuYieQ

Here you go. This is taught in the first two week of any Econ 101 college course. Minimum wage is the price floor. Unemployment equals the difference between supply quantity and demand quantity.

2013-12-31 8:33 AM
in reply to: Jackemy1

User image

Originally posted by crusevegas

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGKUyBuYieQHere you go. This is taught in the first two week of any Econ 101 college course. Minimum wage is the price floor. Unemployment equals the difference between supply quantity and demand quantity.

I agree with the concept that there will be fewer jobs and I think that is what you are saying. 

What I am saying is that there will be more people (a higher % of people working) earning the minimum and more people earning closer to the minimum/bottom wage if the minimum is raised. To add I would think that the higher they raise the minimum wage the fewer jobs there will be and the more people will be earning the minimum or be closer to earning the minimum.

Politicians say they want to do something to lessen the gap between the middle class and upper class yet it appears to me almost every time they try to "help" the consequences are that they actually widen the gap.

New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » Protests for $15 an hour minimum wage Rss Feed  

of 3

RELATED POSTS

Sheep Protest

Started by tuwood
Views: 940 Posts: 3

2013-08-30 6:15 AM BrianRunsPhilly

Anti-mining protest on video

Started by bootygirl
Views: 1759 Posts: 8

2013-07-18 7:54 AM KateTri1
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 18, 2008
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Getting ready for a long workout? Here are some nutritional guidelines on how best to fuel your body in preparation for that long workout.

date : October 24, 2006
author : KevinKonczak
comments : 1
Discussions on keeping heart-rate down on hills, the fat burning zone, lactate threshold (LT) testing, max trainer hours, high HR on the run/walk, the 10% rule and different running workouts.
date : August 29, 2004
author : Ron
comments : 1
Program outline of the 16 and 20 week sprint triathlon training plan overviews.