General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Trying Training Peaks.. Got a question for users Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-12-06 12:38 PM

User image

New user
Houston, Texas
Subject: Trying Training Peaks.. Got a question for users
So I actually like using Garmin Connect for logging my workout minus the fact there isn't a gear option. I thought I would try Training Peaks to see how it looked and worked. I've uploaded a few weeks of old workouts, and I am seeing that it is calculating my times based on total time rather than "moving" time. I don't really like that method bc it isn't giving me a true, or even trendable data set. For instance, on some bike rides I go to a park and ride in a circle for hours, boring yes, but no stops or lights or friends or anything. So ET is total time is moving time etc... But some rides I'll ride to a group ride, sit in a parking lot for 3-6 minutes before we all leave, possible stop for hydration along the way and get stopped by red lights. So all those stops really start adding up and makes the trend hard to follow. Same thing on runs, but to a lessor extent. I might be "warm" and stretch before the watch starts on some, or others might run a mile then stop and stretch. So those trends would be way different.

Is there something I am missing or is TP just not the package for me.

Thanks
Justin

2013-12-06 1:44 PM
in reply to: toodamnbroke

User image

Subject: RE: Trying Training Peaks.. Got a question for users

TP isn't the end-all be-all.  But it has its strengths.  I actually use Garmin Connect, Training Peaks, and Sport Tracks.  If you ever plan on having a coach, TP seems to be the most popular option to share/schedule your workouts.

I don't believe there is a way to just have TP show the moving time.  But you could use the auto-pause setting on your 910 to essentially make the total duration the same as the moving duration.  You will have that feature on the Run and Bike modes.  It's not in the pool swim mode (not sure about OWS).  

Otherwise, I typically edit the duration in TP manually if there is a significant different between total time and moving time.

2013-12-06 2:13 PM
in reply to: jrensink78

User image

New user
Houston, Texas
Thanks for the ideas.

Just to clarify. 1) I have a 310 but i'm hoping it works the same way 2). Does auto pause work differently than manually hitting the stop/start button?
2013-12-06 2:21 PM

User image

Isn't it a bit off discussing a competitor product on the message boards of this site?
2013-12-06 2:41 PM
in reply to: Dan-L

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

Originally posted by Dan-L Isn't it a bit off discussing a competitor product on the message boards of this site?

I don't consider TP a competitor product to BT.  IMO, it's apples and oranges.  They both have their place.  There are times I recommend TP for people, and there are times I recommend BT.

2013-12-06 3:57 PM

Regular
Raleigh
You can set the auto-pause on your 310xt so that it stops recording when you hit a light or stop for any reason. There's no need to press stop/start. TP uploads the same way that Garmin Connect does. It's all in the 310xt manual.

One word of caution - if you use a trainer, turn auto-pause off. It seems that it works via GPS (rather than via wheel or crank rotation) so on a trainer it sees you as not moving (obviously!). It took me a while to work out why I couldn't get my workout to record! :-)

2013-12-06 4:06 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

New user
Houston, Texas
It is strange, I have the Autopause on, when on bike mode. Set to stop recording/timing at/under 6 mpg or something like that. But the times TP is using is WAY off from my garmin time,

Here is the garmin data times:
Distance 29.60
Time: 1:21:03
Moving Time: 1:19:46
Elapsed Time: 1:44:26
Avg Speed: 21.9 mph
Avg Moving Speed: 22.3 mph
Max Speed: 35.8 mph

The Same ride, same tcx file. shows this from TP:

Duration: 1:26:03
Dist. 29.65
Speed 17.9mph

What is even more confusing, is that if you plug the TP duration and distance into a time/distance calc, you get 20.7 or so, not 17.9. This makes no sense to me.

Basically, I just wanted a way to track shoe miles within a single software package and at this point Garmin doesn't support that. But after looking at this, and some other ones, I think I'll just keep manually entering in my shoes on the GarminConnect site.

Thanks for the all the help, and I'm still open if I am just plain missing the boat here.

Justin

Edited by toodamnbroke 2013-12-06 4:09 PM
2013-12-06 4:20 PM
in reply to: JollyRoger

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

Originally posted by JollyRoger

One word of caution - if you use a trainer, turn auto-pause off. It seems that it works via GPS (rather than via wheel or crank rotation) so on a trainer it sees you as not moving (obviously!). It took me a while to work out why I couldn't get my workout to record! :-)

If you turn off GPS, then auto-pause works correctly on the trainer.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Trying Training Peaks.. Got a question for users Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Comparing Training Data - Garmin and Training Peaks

Started by Northern ivy
Views: 1147 Posts: 1

2010-12-30 3:15 PM Northern ivy

Question on peaking and staying peaked

Started by bdroddy
Views: 957 Posts: 6

2010-04-09 6:43 AM bdroddy

Training peaks annual training plan

Started by JustinK
Views: 8981 Posts: 13

2010-02-02 7:15 PM JustinK

training peaks wko (cycling peaks) question

Started by triwor
Views: 1104 Posts: 2

2008-12-17 9:28 AM daijoubu

Training Peaks/Eric Schwartz's Training Plans?

Started by LogansMom
Views: 1734 Posts: 2

2007-05-28 6:15 PM mikericci
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 15, 2012
author : mikericci
comments : 0
How do you train for an A-race that is six months away? How do you peak for multiple A-races?

date : December 22, 2011
author : writingrunner
comments : 1
Where to find the time WITHOUT getting up early
date : September 10, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 6
Should I be working on getting faster at running by doing the longer distances and working up slowly over time or run faster for shorter distances now?

date : December 19, 2008
author : AMSSM
My right knee has a pain in the front, just below the kneecap. I walked 24 miles of IM Louisville. No pain while walking but it started immediately when trying to run.
date : September 3, 2005
author : infosteward
The Boulder Peak bike course is legendary. It is, literally and named as such, one of the toughest bike legs in the country.

date : July 17, 2005
author : Iron MaYden
comments : 8
What to wear under the wetsuit? What to wear for the bike and the run? Good thing someone invented the wonderful trisuit, to which we’ve become accustomed. It’s supposed to make our lives so simple.
date : May 16, 2005
author : DominiqueL
Enter the new TYR X-Sight goggles. The X-Sights have been designed with a flexible nose bridge that (surprise, surprise) is shaped like an “X”.

date : May 16, 2005
author : AMSSM
Discussions on base training, intensity training, peaking and tapering, racing and competition and recovery and restoration.