General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Adjusting to Aero Position Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-12-06 1:08 PM

User image

Veteran
Illinois
Subject: Adjusting to Aero Position
How long does it take to adjust to the aero position on a tri bike?

I recently purchased a 2013 Felt B2, and had a professional fit done. I've logged 19 hours or so in the saddle, 18 of which were on the trainer. This bike is my first tribike.

The longest I have spent in the aero bars is about 15 minutes, and usually it's 5 minute duration, and then I'll come out for a few minutes and stretch.
Last session, I did 2 minutes in, 1 minute out mostly.

Aero isn't really uncomfortable, but it isn't comfortable either. I've also seen some discomfort in my right bicep. Things haven't gotten noticeably better or worse yet. I'm off season training, following Trainer Road's high volume base plan.

Compared to my road bike, I probably due as much shifting around (aerobars, bullhorns, upright, compared to upright, tops, and drops) on the tri bike.

How long should I be spending in aero on the trainer? Does it matter all that much?

How long of an adjustment period should I expect (presuming no pain or significant discomfort) to the new position?

Should I not worry about it until I hit the road in the spring, and just keep pedaling?

2013-12-06 1:25 PM
in reply to: mirthfuldragon

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX
Subject: RE: Adjusting to Aero Position

Aero on the trainer vs aero on the road is very, very different for me.  I can ride the 112 miles of an Ironman 99% in the aero position with no issues at all.  I can't ride for more than 15 minutes in aero while on the trainer.  100% of my trainer riding is done on my road bike.

I'd slog through it as best you can and see how it feels once you hit the road in the spring.

You'll get some opinions saying "train how you race" and all that but cycling is cycling.  Getting used to the aero position isn't all it's cracked up to be, especially in the off-season.  You'll have plenty of time in the spring to adapt to the aero position.

2013-12-06 1:26 PM

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA

I just started riding a Felt B12 and I'm wondering the same thing. One thing I've noticed is that I have more tolerance to aero when I'm on a flat or downhill false flat. When there is any sort of elevation gain I tend to come out of aero much sooner.

(ps, nice avatar pic)

2013-12-06 1:46 PM
in reply to: GMAN 19030

User image

New user

Saskatchewan
Originally posted by GMAN 19030

Aero on the trainer vs aero on the road is very, very different for me.  I can ride the 112 miles of an Ironman 99% in the aero position with no issues at all.  I can't ride for more than 15 minutes in aero while on the trainer.  100% of my trainer riding is done on my road bike.

Interesting that you say this. I got a tri bike this summer and rode aero no problem. Decided I should ride my Felt (tri bike) instead of my road bike on the trainer this winter, since it's what I plan to race with. And after a month, I still can't get comfy after 10-15 minutes in aero. Might be switching back to the road bike.
2013-12-06 2:11 PM

User image

Melbourne, Florida

There are small subtleties that happen on the bike that you don't really notice until they're gone. In this case it's the light swaying that your bike makes as you're pedaling. It's only millimeters, but that minor amount of movement translates to small weight shifts from one arm to the other. This allows your blood to flow better. When you take away that sway on the trainer it makes the ride less comfortable. This is where rollers have a huge advantage over a trainer.

2013-12-06 7:27 PM
in reply to: Dirt Hucker

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Originally posted by Dirt Hucker

Originally posted by GMAN 19030

Interesting that you say this. I got a tri bike this summer and rode aero no problem. Decided I should ride my Felt (tri bike) instead of my road bike on the trainer this winter, since it's what I plan to race with. And after a month, I still can't get comfy after 10-15 minutes in aero. Might be switching back to the road bike.

Just to repeat the above: I can be aero for most of a HIM or IM bike with little to no issues. Clamp the bike in the trainer and 15-20 minutes in aero become very uncomfortable. Out on the road you are making so many little position changes both with terrain and pedal stroke that you don't really notice. Put yourself on a trainer and the position is locked in and it gets very uncomfortable. I am sure that some don't have this issue but I sure do.

With that being said, I do try to spend a significant amount of trainer time in aero position.

2013-12-06 7:42 PM
in reply to: wannabefaster

User image

Regular
Chalk another one of us who has a tough time staying comfortable while aero on the trainer w the tri bike. I also put the roadie on there much more. A good point above about being aero on the road and being able to do little shifts and adjustments. Good luck.
2013-12-06 8:58 PM
in reply to: tallytom

User image

New user
Kingston, Ontario
glad to see this post. i just finished a ride and was thinking the exact same thing when it came to discomfort on a tri bike. never had one outside and from the weather here its going to be another 6 months till i do. Guessing its time to put the road bike bike back on the trainer lol..
2013-12-06 9:56 PM

User image

Veteran
Mission Viejo,
I guess I am lucky, or have a better bike/body fit combo. Just did 2 hours the other day on the trainer, a zone 2 tempo ride, 1:40 of it spent aero. My butt does get more sore then on the road, but that is to be expected with a lot less body weight shifting going on while on the trainer. I also like to ride with my head up for periods of time (usually watching the box), it helps strenghten the neck and traps.
2013-12-07 1:38 PM

The trainer is the best place to really get acclimated to aero. Yes, it's hard, and yes, it's harder than aero on the roads due to the static position. But you can be sure that if you can hold aero comfortably on the trainer for "X" hours, holding it that long on race day will be absolutely no problem. 

Aside from a reasonable fit (doesn't have to be perfect, but not glaringly off), the key is to build slowly and gradually . Treat it like you're building bike mileage. It'll come quickly enough.

2013-12-07 2:22 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Bellevue, WA

Originally posted by yazmaster

The trainer is the best place to really get acclimated to aero. Yes, it's hard, and yes, it's harder than aero on the roads due to the static position. But you can be sure that if you can hold aero comfortably on the trainer for "X" hours, holding it that long on race day will be absolutely no problem. 

Aside from a reasonable fit (doesn't have to be perfect, but not glaringly off), the key is to build slowly and gradually . Treat it like you're building bike mileage. It'll come quickly enough.

^^^^^ This ^^^^

However, at 20 hours of riding you should be more comfortable than it sounds like you are. You should consider it might be the bike's components or your fit. 

On my P3C, I had a lot of trouble with long aero rides regardless of trainer rides, outside rides, or race day.  After 4 years, I went and made some changes to it, and had a fit done.  Man what a difference. 

Don't wait 4 years to figure this out, like I did. Give the links below a read.  The titles are self-explanatory.

seat + new cockpit + fitting = amazing improvement

I was wrong, bike fit IS everything

Edited by brucemorgan 2013-12-07 2:23 PM

2013-12-07 2:39 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Bellevue, WA

double post deleted

Edited by brucemorgan 2013-12-07 2:40 PM
2013-12-07 2:39 PM

User image

Master
Bellevue, WA

I thought about this more, so I have more to say :-)

I recently purchased a 2013 Felt B2, and had a professional fit done. I've logged 19 hours or so in the saddle, 18 of which were on the trainer. This bike is my first tribike.

The longest I have spent in the aero bars is about 15 minutes, and usually it's 5 minute duration, and then I'll come out for a few minutes and stretch.
Last session, I did 2 minutes in, 1 minute out mostly.

Aero isn't really uncomfortable, but it isn't comfortable either. I've also seen some discomfort in my right bicep. Things haven't gotten noticeably better or worse yet. I'm off season training, following Trainer Road's high volume base plan.

>>>> Really?  This doesn't sound good. Only 15 minutes?  2 minutes on 1 minute off?  You can't race like that, so you shouldn't train like that.  You bought a tri bike so you can ride it aero (it's the only benefit of a tri bike, after all). 

How long should I be spending in aero on the trainer? Does it matter all that much?

>>>> Answered above.  The trainer is the best place to train for aero.  All elements are controlled.

How long of an adjustment period should I expect (presuming no pain or significant discomfort) to the new position?

>>>> If the fit is right, then it should already feel great when you drop into aero.  But after 30-60 minute ride, your neck may hurt from holding your head up, and maybe your upper shoulder muscles.  This takes whatever it takes.  I did a lot of strength exercises to help those muscles.  In fact, I find that some of my fancy dress shirts from 7-8 years ago no longer fit in the neck, I went up about an inch in neck circumference.

Should I not worry about it until I hit the road in the spring, and just keep pedaling

>>>> Winter is the best time for trainer training.  If you're not going to train in aero, then why not return your tri bike to the store and just ride your road bike?  Seriously.  The only benefit you get from a tri bike is being able to ride it in aero.  If you can't, then riding one is pointless. 

2013-12-07 3:14 PM
in reply to: brucemorgan

User image

Expert
, Michigan
15 minutes is not near enough time to be getting that tired.

Are you watching TV on the trainer requiring more neck flexion than watching the road?

I regularly do 2, 3, 4, and will be working up to 7 hour rides on my trainer 95% in aero with no more discomfort that similar rides on the road. I do find that the static nature of the trainer requires me to select a lower gear by one or two, transferring the weight to my pedals from my aero bars and my as*. I also drop my cadence from around 90 to around 85 to compensate so my legs don't prematurely fatigue.

If I select my five hour outside gear while on the trainer, my neck and as* get pretty sore after about 3 hours.

2013-12-07 3:19 PM
in reply to: DV 1

User image

Expert
, Michigan
Another thing I've noticed about trainer riding is that certain muscles in my shoulders get sore pretty quick sometimes ... like after 10 minutes. Usually it's after longer swim sessions. If I push through the pain for just a few minutes, the pain goes away. Point is, don't give up too early on the trainer and come up out of aero just cause it gets uncomfortable. Push through the pain and your body will make the necessary adaptations
2013-12-08 6:27 AM
in reply to: DV 1

User image

Veteran
Illinois
I appreciate the feedback.

I trust the bike fit and the fitter - so I don't think that's a significant factor. I wouldn't categorize any of these feeling as pain, or really even as discomfort - it just isn't as comfortable as a nice, soft sofa with a cold beer in my hand . . .

In retrospect, I'm probably just as fidgety on the road bike as I am on the tribike. The one time I had the bike on the road, I didn't notice any problems, but that was a pretty short ride.

One thing I did notice during yesterday's recovery ride is that the position does seem to shift the effort towards my quads, which are still sore from last week's half marathon plus a few long trainer sessions, so some of my fidgeting is probably a result of compensating for fatigue. Another odd thing I noticed is that my glasses slip down my nose in aero, which makes it hard to see the television. Little things add up quick, it seems.

2014-04-08 2:19 PM

User image

Veteran
Illinois
Reviving this thread, just to follow-up.

Winter on the trainer was a bit rough, but I made do - probably spent no more than 10 minutes at any given time sitting in aero, come out for 30 seconds to a minute, then sit back in.

Now that the weather has cleared, with two good out-door ride (including a 65-miler with 4,000 feet of climbing) - I don't have any problems riding in aero outside, for as long as the winding, twisting, climbing, descending roads out here will let me. Descending in aero is limited only to my own confidence and knowledge of the road.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Adjusting to Aero Position Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Help adjusting aero seatpost....???

Started by ChrisM
Views: 1285 Posts: 4

2011-11-04 8:58 PM ChrisM

Time to adjust to new aero position?

Started by Oldteen
Views: 873 Posts: 3

2011-07-07 11:58 AM Oldteen

Adjusting bike aero position as season progresses

Started by sdswriter
Views: 2861 Posts: 22

2011-06-05 10:08 PM sdswriter

Adjusting Camelbak for aero riding

Started by OldAg92
Views: 1062 Posts: 3

2006-05-19 11:15 PM chrisprouty

Head and eye position in aero position

Started by auto208562
Views: 951 Posts: 5

2005-08-28 10:39 AM auto208562
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 10, 2012
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
I am racing in the Florida Ironman. My question is this: which position is going to be better for me to ride in, the aero position or the traditional road position?

date : March 24, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
What should I consider when adding aero bars? What are good brands? Are there pitfalls to be aware of? How can I adjust them to fit me?
date : February 6, 2010
The correct cleat orientation and float for a rider is dependent on their individual foot, pedaling mechanics, and cleat position.

date : April 20, 2009
I went in for a fitting because I had been having chronic stabbing pain in my shoulder/neck whenever I ride for more than 30 minutes. I'm planning a half Ironman this summer, any help for this?
date : January 13, 2009
comments : 3
When I switch one wheelset for another, the rear derailleur needs to be adjusted because the rear wheel on each holds the cassette in a different position. Where do I start?

date : November 5, 2008
How often should you have a bike tune up and what should be included? Is it unreasonable to expect a refitting as part of the tune up?
date : January 14, 2008
author : AMSSM
At the age of 44, I am experiencing extreme pain in my hip. I have been trying simple stretching and have found no relief.

date : December 3, 2007
author : CPT
comments : 5
Colorado Premier Training goes over the basics of what bike power training is and how it relates to your optimal bike position.