General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Problems of being a junior triathlete Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-12-06 4:30 PM

Subject: Problems of being a junior triathlete
I'm just getting into triathlons and was wondering what problems junior triathletes run into. I.E. school, homework, and the such

2013-12-06 5:33 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Regular
Aalborg, Denmark
Subject: RE: Problems of being a junior triathlete
Biggest problem you'll run into is probably yourself as you will most likely lose interest in triathlon in about five minutes.

I'm not sure what kind of answer you expect to get. We all have to balance everyday life with triathlon and so will you. Good luck! Stay in school, kids.

Edited by Dnn 2013-12-06 5:33 PM
2013-12-06 8:08 PM
in reply to: standbyzero

User image

I'm not junior but have trained with some. The problems they have generally center around their busy lives and trying to get the training time in, getting enough money to pay for the many expenses (bike, pool fees, wet suits, entry fees, travel, etc) and keeping motivated in a sport that isn't the most popular with juniors.
2013-12-06 9:26 PM
in reply to: b2run

User image

Pro

The only problem you will have as a junior triathlete is if you don't have enough fun!  Enjoy it!!

2013-12-07 9:43 AM
in reply to: #4909655

User image

I have a daughter who is an aspiring ballerina, I have experience with the sacrifices that young people make for their passion. Homework can be handled, just stay on top of it, take on extra credit whenever you can to create a little cushion. Ask your counselor about electives that you can choose (assuming you are high school?) which will have the least amount of homework, and explain why. Some schools allow an independent PE study allowing you to use your training as PE credit...you to skip PE classes and get out of school earlier.

The hardest part about being a young person with a passion and a goal is that most of your friends will not understand. You should look to tri clubs, swim, bike and or running clubs for juniors and try to connect with others who share your passion. My daughter has almost no time to hang with school friends. She is always in the dance studio or doing homework.

If you do what no one else is willing to do now, you can accomplish what very few can later.

Best of luck!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Problems of being a junior triathlete Rss Feed