Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Maybe Floyd Has Synthetic.... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply
2006-07-31 10:32 PM

User image

Elite
Texas
Subject: Maybe Floyd Has Synthetic....
...testicles. Therefore the presence of synthethic testosterone in his system is completely normal and just what they expected. Wow. THAT's going to be tough to explain...if it's true.
Updated: July 31, 2006, 11:22 PM ET

Landis reportedly had synthetic testosterone in system

NEW YORK -- Tests show that some of the testosterone in Floyd Landis' system at the Tour de France was synthetic and not naturally produced by his body as he claimed, according to a newspaper report.

The French antidoping lab testing the American cyclist's samples determined that some of the hormone came from an external source, The New York Times reported on its Web site Monday night, citing a person at the International Cycling Union with knowledge of the result.

A confirmation of the result would undermine the defense that Landis has stood behind since he tested positive for an abnormally high ratio of testosterone to epitestosterone in one sample taken following the 17th stage of the Tour de France, where he staged a stirring comeback in the Alps to make up for a poor performance the day before.

Looking and sounding defiant, Landis said Friday that his body's natural metabolism -- not doping of any kind -- caused the result and that he would undergo tests to prove it.

"We will explain to the world why this is not a doping case but a natural occurrence," Landis said at a news conference in Madrid, Spain.

But after determining that Landis's ratio of testosterone to epitestosterone was more than twice the limit of 4:1, the lab performed a carbon isotope ratio test on the first of Landis' two urine samples to determine whether it's natural or synthetic, the person told The Times.

Landis officially requested the testing of his backup urine sample Monday for an elevated testosterone ratio, and results were expected sometime this week. If the "B" test is negative, Landis would be cleared. If it's positive, which Landis' lawyers say they expect, he could be stripped of his Tour victory and banned for two years.

Landis has been suspended by his team, Phonak, pending the result of his "B" sample.

But the result showing synthetic testosterone does not need to be confirmed with a second test, said Dr. Gary Wadler, a member of the World Anti-Doping Agency and a spokesman for the American College of Sports Medicine.

"The rules say that it is a violation, but if you can show that the athlete had no fault or no significant fault, there could be a mitigation of the sanction," Wadler told the Times. "No matter how it got there, the athlete has to show how it got into his or her body. It could have been sabotage or contaminated dietary supplements or something else, but they have to prove how the testosterone got there."

The Times said Landis was in New York on Monday night and could not be reached for comment.

Oscar Pereiro of Spain, who finished second overall in the Tour de France, would be declared the winner if Landis loses the Tour de France title. It would be the first time in the history of the Tour of France that the winner has been disqualified for doping.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

Edited by RGRBILL 2006-07-31 10:33 PM

2006-08-01 5:44 AM
in reply to: #498948

User image

Elite
In my bunk with new shoes and purple sweats.
Subject: RE: Maybe Floyd Has Synthetic....
This does not look good for Landis. Hope he was framed, setup, sabotaged, or just about anything other than dumb enough to use dope while racing. He could have explained the high T/E but synthetic Testosterone is gonna be tough.
If he's guilty then he needs to "nut up" and do what Nina did and come clean. She was one of the few who 'fessed up when caught.
2006-08-01 6:50 AM

User image

Elite
Evans, GA
Pathetic and sad. I feel robbed of the hours I watched the TdF for the first time. I was excited to have a new sport to follow that I participate in for the first time this year as a cycling rookie. I'm no longer sure I want to be a fan. I'm so sick of this theme in sports. If I found out Big Papi did performance inhancing drugs I'd vomit. Same with Papelbon, Ramirez or Varitek.

Edited by Bluejack 2006-08-01 6:51 AM
2006-08-01 7:23 AM
in reply to: #499036

User image

Pro
Evanston,
(Varitek, no way, ever, man. Don't even think such a thing. That guy is all character. OK, and brains and skill. But especially character.)

As for Floyd... sad sad sad sad sad! If synthetic testicles is the best thing we can think up, this is NOT good.
2006-08-01 7:34 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2006-08-01 7:57 AM

The Original
Raleigh/Durham

I feel the same way about Landis with syntetic testosterone as I didwhen I found out that Milli-Vanilli really did lip synche.  I feel so- betrayed.

But no really- if it's tue (which I think it is) it really is disappointing.

But my question is- if he really did administer synthetic teosterone then wouldn't that stay in his blood for awhile?  Why wouldn't his sample from the following stages be positive as well?  Did he just find a way to beat the system or has he been framed??

Can't they make him take a polygraph test?  Screw the lab results- let's get to the truth!   

2006-08-01 7:57 AM

Runner
I'm still not 100% convinced for a couple reasons:

A) He was tested at how many stages, and none of those came up with anything that set off alarms. If he was taking synthetic steroids, why would he only do it one day, and I doubt that he would show the incredible performance from one day of doping like that.

B) We are talking about an agency that, in my mind, has lost a high level of credibility due to the continued attempt to prosecute another winning American (Armstrong), without success. Honestly, the ICU and TdF people are doing nothing by constantly going after the winners. Besides, they gave the authorization to Landis to use thyroid medication and Cortisone shots during the race. It's gonna be tough for him to prove the possible source of synthetic steroids, even if he is innocent of intentionally doping.

C) The news source is the NYT, another agency that has had a poor track record recently when it comes to fact-checking.
2006-08-01 1:48 PM

Expert
Medina, MN
The thing that I keep coming back to is that he had been tested earlier in the tour and there hadn't been any issues. That implies that he took testosterone mid-tour, but I think most of the stuff I've read says that testosterone would only possibly help you if you used it for an extended period of time during training. So I tend to think he was somehow set up, as it just doesn't make any sense to me otherwise. What am I missing?
2006-08-01 2:18 PM
in reply to: #499653

The Original
Raleigh/Durham

MLJ - 2006-08-01 2:48 PM The thing that I keep coming back to is that he had been tested earlier in the tour and there hadn't been any issues. That implies that he took testosterone mid-tour, but I think most of the stuff I've read says that testosterone would only possibly help you if you used it for an extended period of time during training. So I tend to think he was somehow set up, as it just doesn't make any sense to me otherwise. What am I missing?

I'm with you- I'm just as confused.  It just doesn't add up!?!

Edited by runnergirl29 2006-08-01 2:18 PM
2006-08-01 2:21 PM

Veteran
Austin, Texas
...Maybe Jack Dan. has sythetic test in it?  That would explain some of the people i use to know in college.
2006-08-01 5:56 PM
in reply to: #499104

Elite
Laurium, MI

Scout7 - 2006-08-01 6:57 AM I'm still not 100% convinced for a couple reasons: A) He was tested at how many stages, and none of those came up with anything that set off alarms. If he was taking synthetic steroids, why would he only do it one day, and I doubt that he would show the incredible performance from one day of doping like that. B) We are talking about an agency that, in my mind, has lost a high level of credibility due to the continued attempt to prosecute another winning American (Armstrong), without success. Honestly, the ICU and TdF people are doing nothing by constantly going after the winners. Besides, they gave the authorization to Landis to use thyroid medication and Cortisone shots during the race. It's gonna be tough for him to prove the possible source of synthetic steroids, even if he is innocent of intentionally doping. C) The news source is the NYT, another agency that has had a poor track record recently when it comes to fact-checking.

that's what I'm thinking too.  I'm not entirely convinced over their "source" either.  If their source is credible, then what does that say for the security measures of the lab doing the testing?

If as a researcher, I were to conduct a trial in the same fashion this lab is drug testing, and write a paper on it to be published, not only would it not pass the review process, but I would be laughed out of the scientific community as a whole.

maybe some medical professionals can answer this.  How accurate is the radio-carbon isotope testing?  I'm curious as to what range is considered "synthetic", what the error involved is and where on this scale floyd's test lies.  Was all the "extra" test synthetic, or were his normal levels elevated naturally and he had just enough syn in his system from his meds to trip the system?

Edited by vortmax 2006-08-01 6:01 PM

2006-08-02 9:15 PM

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Another intersting point i heard mentioned-

Landis's ration was 11:1 where 4:1 is seen as illegal.  Anyone who knows what they are doing would be smart enough to keep the ratio low.  The guy who was interview that mentioned the weird ratio said that its very easy to keep it just under 4:1 and that many do that.  11:1 seems pretty high.

2006-08-03 7:11 AM
in reply to: #499103

molto veloce mama
runnergirl29 - 2006-08-01 7:57 AM

I feel the same way about Landis with syntetic testosterone as I didwhen I found out that Milli-Vanilli really did lip synche. I feel so- betrayed.

bless you for a moment of humor in all this! okay, synthetic testicles was funny too, but this one really made me laugh!
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Maybe Floyd Has Synthetic.... Rss Feed