Overall Rank = 26/94
Age Group = Mens
Age Group Rank = 20/62
Run
  • 5h 24m 6s
  • 50 kms
  • 06m 29s  min/km
Comments:

My plan was to do three 50k races this season as "test" races for the build towards Rocky Raccoon 100 in Feb. This was race #2. Race #1 was about a month ago, also at Huntsville State Park. Overall, this race showed that my training and changes made since November are going well. I was almost 30-minutes fast than last month, and felt much better, both during and after the races. I did have some stomach issues and took two outhouse breaks, but I think those issues were related to Friday night's late dinner rather than any run choices.

Weather was chilly (upper 30s) and that made clothing selection a little tricky. Started off a little too warm, and made some changes after the 10k loop. Also, no gels at the aid stations, so I went with boiled potatoes most of the race. Good choice! I do need to walk when I eat them though.....I'm not coordinated enough to run, chew, and breathe all at the same time.

In November, I wore the Brooks Cascadia trail shoes, and my feet were very sore after the 50k. I went ahead and bought a pair of Hoka trail shoes and that made a dramatic improvement. Could be an extra month of long runs helped out too, but I think the shoes made a big difference. I went with wool socks due to the temps, and did find a blister on the end of one tow on Saturday night. It looks fierce, but doesn't hurt at all. Need to get that figured out before RR!

All in all, I feel on track for Feb. Anxious to see how Bandera goes next month!
What would you do differently?:

Should have gone a little lighter on the clothes from the get-go!
Post race
Event comments:

This race seemed better organized and better staffed than in past years. All in all, a great day at the park!

Last updated: 2013-12-02 12:00 AM
Running
05:24:06 | 50 kms | 06m 29s  min/km
Age Group: 20/62
Overall: 26/94
Performance: Good
Course: Three loop course, a 10k loop up towards I-45 and the front of the park, then two 20k loops around the lake. Course is about 25% jeep road and 75% single track. Trails are non-technical, with no real hills. It does undulate some, and the trails to have a lot of roots that seem to reach out and grab the inattentive.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-12-09 5:05 AM

User image

Veteran
The Woodlands, TX
Subject: Texas Trail Endurance Run - 50K

2013-12-10 12:31 AM
in reply to: #4910314

User image

Expert
Scottsdale, AZ
Subject: RE: Texas Trail Endurance Run - 50K

Nice job out there.  How do you feel your training is going leading into the 100K?  Also, curious about your nutrition.  You seemed to allude to just using what's on course and accepting what was offered.  That doesn't seem ideal but seems like it's working for you so far?

2013-12-13 9:33 AM
in reply to: thebigb

User image

Veteran
The Woodlands, TX
Subject: RE: Texas Trail Endurance Run - 50K
The Rocky Raccoon race in Feb will be 100-miles. I roughed out a training plan this summer and am following it pretty close, but eh 100-M is totally uncharted water for me, so I think I'm on track....but have lingering doubts. Seems like most of the 100-M race reports I've read where people have been unsuccessful fall back to two major issues.......initial pace too aggressive and not eating enough.

I'm hoping to go very slow from the get-go, eat all day, and consume a variety of things, depending on what's offered. I figure the typical ultra pace is slow enough (at least mine is) that I shouldn't have too many stomach issues. During this race, I did have some issues, but they were early in the race before I really started eating, so I think they were because of poor choices made the night before.

My training plan has me continuing to build until the 50k at Bandera in mid-Jan, then just go into coast mode until the big race on 2/1!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Texas Trail Endurance Run - 50K Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Texas Trail Run 50K

Started by jpb0009
Views: 1611 Posts: 4

2011-01-28 2:50 PM BigDH

Texas Trail Run 50K

Started by g_shotts
Views: 1267 Posts: 2

2010-12-14 9:50 PM BigDH

Sunmart Texas Trail Endurance Run - 50K

Started by grvfrog
Views: 1830 Posts: 5

2005-12-17 7:44 AM Comet

Sunmart Texas Trail Endurance Run

Started by JeepFleeb
Views: 2378 Posts: 12

2005-12-15 12:15 PM runnergirl29

Sunmart Texas Trail Endurance Run (50K)

Started by shornick
Views: 2190 Posts: 5

2005-12-13 2:03 PM ghart2
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 15, 2011
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 0
Recipes for Oatmeal Pancakes, Carrot Apple Muffins, Sugar and Spice Pecans and Crunchy Trail Mix

date : July 28, 2011
author : AMSSM
I can train for half marathons on pavement and on trails, but as soon as I change it up to gravel or loose dirt my knee swells and the pain it causes is unreal. Any ideas why this happens?
date : April 15, 2010
author : CobbCycling
comments : 2
In this article, we are going to explore air movements over and around the front end of a bike and rider. We will examine how air affects these frontal areas.

date : October 29, 2008
author : mrakes1
Triathlon nutrition discussions on trail mixes and calories, regular skim milk vs. organic skim milk vs. soy milk and whey protein.
date : October 9, 2007
author : She-Ra
comments : 12
I never imagined that 350 yards broken down into 7 REALLY long lanes would be so big! I gasped out loud and told Grady that maybe I had underestimated the swim.

date : February 13, 2007
author : BobbyMcgee
Use high and low cadence deep water running to improve your turnover, run-specific muscle endurance and functional running strength.
date : October 17, 2004
author : smeeko
Discover the joys of trail running while also giving your body many benefits.

date : September 3, 2004
author : tboepple
Joe Friel - Periodization