General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Specialized suing bike shop over Roubaix name Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-12-09 10:39 AM

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Subject: Specialized suing bike shop over Roubaix name
http://blogs.calgaryherald.com/2013/12/07/war-veteran-forced-to-cha...

Anyone in law feel fee to give your take on this. Don't really understand why Specialized is attacking this one bike shop over the name, when it's a name of a region in France and had been linked to several other products outside of Specialized's umbrella for years.

2013-12-09 10:55 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Subject: RE: Specialized suing bike shop over Roubaix name

They are a big bunch of dorks (to put it nicely). There are a few other shops & brands that they are currently being bullied by special ed as well. Epic Wheels and there was a graphic design company that they forced a name change on. Stumptown bikes is another.  I would like to see them (since you are local you will understand this) pull this with Epic Systems. They will pick on the small companies but scared to rattle the cages of the ones that will fight back and bite.

Edited by jhouse4 2013-12-09 10:57 AM
2013-12-09 11:02 AM
in reply to: bcagle25

User image

Expert
I've been curious as to how long this topic would take to come up. I also just picked up a Specialized MTB this last weekend and I'm kinda embarrassed to ride it.

I get that companies need to protect their brand, but this is silly and will just generate bad will in the cycling community towards Specialized. I think it's overboard.
2013-12-09 11:04 AM

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
Seems a little rediculous. Doesn't Fuji have a bike model called the Roubaix, then there's a Roubaix model tire made by Challenge, Tifosi had sunglasses called Roubaix, there's clothing with that name etc. Maybe their market share in that region is really low ......
2013-12-09 11:08 AM
in reply to: reecealan

User image

Veteran
Morgan Hill, California
One the one hand, I understand that a company feels like they have to protect their trademarks, in fact in some respects they have to, or face losing them. But, I'm not sure I understand how Specialized got the mark in the first place. If I understand correctly, they weren't first, and there are others using the mark. I think I also heard that they only have it recognized in Canada.
2013-12-09 1:24 PM

User image

2013-12-09 1:47 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Master

Good to hear. I ordered a shirt.

2013-12-09 2:21 PM
in reply to: reecealan

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

Originally posted by reecealan Seems a little rediculous. Doesn't Fuji have a bike model called the Roubaix, then there's a Roubaix model tire made by Challenge, Tifosi had sunglasses called Roubaix, there's clothing with that name etc. Maybe their market share in that region is really low ......

It's easier to pick on a small bike shop.

2013-12-09 5:32 PM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

I was riding on Sunday with a LBS owner and we were talking about this.  Word among LB shops is that Specialized is really ducking up with this PR hit.  People have stopped riding their bikes and are dumping them.  Maybe some Shiv's will be coming available cheap and I can repaint the frame!

X

2013-12-09 5:55 PM
in reply to: 0

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

Edited by Fred D 2013-12-09 5:57 PM
2013-12-09 6:03 PM
in reply to: Fred D

Hmmm, I feel bad for the guy, but I am still going to wear my specialized shoes and ride my epic mtb.

2013-12-09 7:09 PM
in reply to: ChrisM

I had a nice Fuji Roubaix, which I might still have if it didn't get stolen. It wasn't all carbon like the Specialized Roubaix, but still a decent bike. This type of crap litigation - over a place name, for criminy, just lines the pockets of ___ lawyers.
2013-12-09 8:59 PM
in reply to: jhouse4

Veteran
Great White North
Probably stopping by Cafe Roubaix on Friday to pick one up. They are above the best ice cream shop in southern Alberta btw.
2013-12-09 9:04 PM
in reply to: ChrisM

Veteran
Great White North
i won't flame anyone for using kit they have already paid for ... I have some "S" gear (tires/helmet/gloves) that will probably wear out in the next year or so. Another brand gets my business when that happens.
2013-12-09 9:20 PM
in reply to: Fred D

Veteran
Great White North
Spesh is appropriating a name already in heavy use in the bicycle industry. Go search roubaix on amazon.
2013-12-09 10:02 PM
in reply to: simpsonbo

Expert
Greenville, SC

Originally posted by simpsonbo Spesh is appropriating a name already in heavy use in the bicycle industry. Go search roubaix on amazon.

exactly, he isn't the only one using "Roubaix". they haven't sued the LBS yet, they are threatening and hoping he just folds over based on not being able to afford the court costs.

2013-12-09 10:58 PM
in reply to: Clempson

Expert
Interesting:
Specialized licenses the Roubaix name in the U.S. from ASI, owner of the Fuji, Breezer and Kestrel brands, said Patrick Cunnane, president of ASI.

"ASI owns the Roubaix trademark in the USA," Cunnane said. "ASI purchased the Fuji and Roubaix (and many other) trademarks from the Japanese owners of the Fuji brand when ASI was formed to purchase the company in 1998. Fuji uses the Roubaix mark worldwide and has since 1987. ASI licenses the trademark to Specialized," he said.

such a tangled web
2013-12-09 11:34 PM
in reply to: magic

Expert
Greenville, SC

Originally posted by magic Interesting: Specialized licenses the Roubaix name in the U.S. from ASI, owner of the Fuji, Breezer and Kestrel brands, said Patrick Cunnane, president of ASI. "ASI owns the Roubaix trademark in the USA," Cunnane said. "ASI purchased the Fuji and Roubaix (and many other) trademarks from the Japanese owners of the Fuji brand when ASI was formed to purchase the company in 1998. Fuji uses the Roubaix mark worldwide and has since 1987. ASI licenses the trademark to Specialized," he said. such a tangled web

too bad that guy is in cananda.

2013-12-09 11:45 PM

Expert
Originally posted by Clempson

Originally posted by magic Interesting: Specialized licenses the Roubaix name in the U.S. from ASI, owner of the Fuji, Breezer and Kestrel brands, said Patrick Cunnane, president of ASI. "ASI owns the Roubaix trademark in the USA," Cunnane said. "ASI purchased the Fuji and Roubaix (and many other) trademarks from the Japanese owners of the Fuji brand when ASI was formed to purchase the company in 1998. Fuji uses the Roubaix mark worldwide and has since 1987. ASI licenses the trademark to Specialized," he said. such a tangled web

too bad that guy is in cananda.

Specialized has the trademark in Canada, but ASI is saying that Specialized is over stepping things and that ASI will license the Roubaix name to the shop. So confusing. On one hand ASI is playing this to look good but have to wonder what their licensing terms area and how they'd enforce that in Canada.
2013-12-10 5:37 AM
in reply to: magic

Master
http://www.bicycleretailer.com/north-america/2013/12/09/asi-says-ca...

Looks like the story may have a happy ending although Specialized may take a PR hit.
2013-12-10 7:09 AM
in reply to: pschriver

Expert
Greenville, SC

Originally posted by pschriver http://www.bicycleretailer.com/north-america/2013/12/09/asi-says-ca... Looks like the story may have a happy ending although Specialized may take a PR hit.

eh a month from now no one outside of this area of canada will remember this.  cool that he gets to keep the name 

2013-12-10 9:06 AM

Interesting development.  I suspect that some lawyers that were working for Specialized Canada will be looking for new work today...if not yesterday.

My view of Specialized hasn't really changed much.  I had a gut feeling that this was simply a lawyer issue, and that something didn't add up considering how the name Roubaix is used on so many different products.  Now it's pretty clear that the legal department at Specialized Canada dropped the ball big time...and this really isn't a reflection of the company as a whole and their leadership.  Well...maybe it is...I'm sure some people will have the opinion that Specialized Canada is out to squash the little guy...but that's just not how I saw it.  Just lawyers doing a bad job and acting poorly on their company's behalf.

2013-12-10 11:15 AM

Expert
Boise, ID

Wow, they are getting destroyed on their FB page. Wonder how long before they release a statement or if they decide to stick with the ignore it and hope it goes away plan.

Imagine they are going to lose more business over this than it was worth.

My roadie is a Fuji so I guess I am on the good guy team!

2013-12-10 12:16 PM
in reply to: Aarondb4

Originally posted by Aarondb4

Wow, they are getting destroyed on their FB page. Wonder how long before they release a statement or if they decide to stick with the ignore it and hope it goes away plan.

I think a lot of people are overestimating the impact this will have.  Short term...maybe...but Nike has gone through far worse PR and they're doing just fine.  All the people that swore they would never buy Nike every again...I'm sure there's a few still sticking to their guns, but most people were all bark and no teeth.

Again...to me...this is more a reflection on Specialized Canada's legal team than Specialized as a whole. 

2013-12-10 12:30 PM

Expert
Boise, ID

Originally posted by Jason N

Originally posted by Aarondb4

I think a lot of people are overestimating the impact this will have.  Short term...maybe...but Nike has gone through far worse PR and they're doing just fine.  All the people that swore they would never buy Nike every again...I'm sure there's a few still sticking to their guns, but most people were all bark and no teeth.

Again...to me...this is more a reflection on Specialized Canada's legal team than Specialized as a whole. 

Yeah I don't see them going out of business or even slowing down too much over this. But I still think they lost more than they hoped to gain. The hoped to prevent a very small bike shop from using a name they thought belonged to them, but for what purpose? Was someone really going to be confused enough to buy his wheels and think that they came from Specialized? I doubt it. There was no real risk to Specialized from this shop so even if they only lose 1% of their customers it is still a huge hit compared to whatever they think they hoped to gain. Also if it gets enough attention they may have to scrap the Roubaix line which will just cost them money in developing and/or obtaining a new name for a line of bicycles. Seems silly to fight over such a generic name too. If he was making wheels with the word "Specialized" on them I could understand. But Roubaix is a town in France, why does Specialized think they need to have a monopoly on the name of a town?

So however little it may be they are still losing money over this. Can't help but think it would be smart to apologize and try to mitigate some of the PR damage.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Specialized suing bike shop over Roubaix name Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Specialized Roubaix, yes or no?

Started by rizer22
Views: 1064 Posts: 6

2010-11-22 11:15 PM graceful_dave

kids bikes - walmart or bike shop?

Started by tkbslc
Views: 3354 Posts: 17

2008-03-10 11:00 AM kproudfoot

25% off shopping spree at bike shop!

Started by ipull400watts
Views: 1158 Posts: 2

2008-03-01 1:52 PM KenD

Specialized Roubaix

Started by Japhy
Views: 2069 Posts: 7

2007-07-18 10:27 PM bikeboyaug

Bike case vs shipping through bike shop

Started by eddie04
Views: 981 Posts: 8

2005-04-29 2:20 PM devo27
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 29, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 4
Second in a series of three articles about the basics, the niceties and the luxuries

date : April 14, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 3
I follow a computer program that tracts everything I eat and measures the calories I burn but according to this program I am taking in way too much protein.
date : January 9, 2010
author : FitWerx
comments : 0
Does a degree or two difference between two frames(head and/or seat tube) really make that much of a difference when it comes to fit?

date : May 25, 2009
comments : 2
I'm not sure if one of these models is better, both are from 2009 aluminum/carbon combinations. I realize this is a difficult question but any thoughts as which bike is better for a woman?
date : August 5, 2008
I have a Specialized Allez Elite road bike with aero bars. It has the stock seatpost. I am interested in changing the seat post to one that is more forward. What would I look for?

date : January 29, 2007
author : sportfactory
comments : 1
When first going aero, your shop should begin by putting you in the least aggressive position. This means the aerobar pads will be almost level or just below the saddle.
date : January 1, 2006
author : Ontherun
Tis the season to shop. These are a few of my plans when I go out looking for a new ride.

date : September 19, 2004
author : Machiavelo
Do you have a bicycle and do not know where to begin to find one if you do not? How should go about choosing a bicycle that will be best suited for your needs?