Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-12-12 9:36 PM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Pearland,Tx
Subject: RE: Newbies to power
Originally posted by marcag

I am working on an idea...more to come....but I am looking for newbies to Power out there, that have a Powermeter or using a Kurt Kinetic or Cycleops Fluid 2 but don’t quite know what to do with it ? (Or will be getting one very soon)

People that kind of like the geeky numbers side of things, wanting to improve but don’t quite know which way to go and don’t really have a plan .

Do you fit this description ?

I am a newbie in powermeters too just got mine 6 weeks ago. I am using pedal based, but i do believe in the Powertap hub base. One thing for certain all the Elites in town and coaches here all agree in choosing between a stationary power meter (e.g. KK) and a Outdoor/Indoor Powermeter (e.g. Powertap) , The mobile powermeter is most preferable.

I raced using my pm in a Iron Relay i just followed the usage guide of Training/Racing with Power it worked well. I am slower than I expected , but i still feel strong that I can still run after 112 miles.

Here in town the Powertap and Stages are the most popular and sells alot.

Goodluck and Good decision making on considering PM

2013-12-12 9:45 PM
in reply to: #4911508

User image

Veteran
Cloverdale, BC
I just bought a used Powertap off eBay about 6 weeks ago. I've done exactly one outdoor ride on my tri bike since then. I've been mostly riding my cyclocross bike and riding my tri bike on the KK trainer. My last 20 minute test on trainer road put me at 297 ftp. I'm a total data junkie. Currently uploading to Garmin, Strava, Training Peaks, and BT. I'm definitely interested in whatever you are cooking up.

Mike
2013-12-13 1:53 AM
in reply to: ultramike

User image

Santa is bringing me a Power Tap. I have no idea what to do with it. It just makes me faster when I put it on my bike, right?

Sign me up for whatever you're figuring out.
2013-12-13 6:26 AM
in reply to: RunningJoke

User image

Extreme Veteran

OK. Excellent

Let's draw a first line here and all those interested to date are welcome to play

I'll post a few more details later and see if we have enough or too few and can recruit a few more friends.
2013-12-14 6:31 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Here is a little more detail

We are going to create a Mentor group focused around training with power.

The reason I started this thread in TT was to gauge interest and slowly let people on board. I was sincerely concerned there could be nobody or 50 people, which is too much. There were several people involved to make this happen and it’s a lot of work, so I wanted to be sure we had the people to do it.

But this will be a bit more than a mentor group because we will actually be providing some training plans, tools and assistance to get going. We will also help you through the entire cycle.

Trust me this gets cooler as I describe it

People can do slight variations of this but if followed to the letter, you will install Golden Cheetah (free). GC has what is known as a training tab where kind of like Trainer Road you can see a workout in the form of a graph and you try to follow the graph. It shows you your Power, HR, target…all kind of cool things.

What is great is GC can then be used to analyze your workout. You can share the files so a coach can comment on them. You can maintain charts on your fitness. We will provide instructions, assistance to get you going. If you have a power meter all you will need is a computer and USB stick. If you are on VP all you need is the computer, USB stick and speed sensor. GC supports the Cycleops II and KK hence why I put them in the original idea. More geeknees to come.

Let’s talk about the plan. The absolute best part of this idea is I have convinced a top notch coach to write the plans for us. He gives them to me, I make a little workout file, you plop them into GC and you suffer. Life is simple. I will also provide descriptions so you can do them without GC. But doing them in GC has some real benefits.

You will learn to test. You will learn to track your progress. You will see how power allows you to pace yourself, push yourself and not over push yourself..

While we will do in on trainers, you will find out what types of efforts you can use on a Sprint, Oly, HIM and IM when you get outdoors You will learn to fear a 85 TSS 1 hour workout. If you do not fear it, you need to retest your FTP. You will learn to do that as well.

You will speak a whole new language and completely bore your significant other with terms like IF, TSS, NP, CP curve. You can impress your friends by showing them a mean maximal power chart.

There will be no FTP boasting or feeling bad that you are half of Jason’s. The only thing that counts is that you will be faster at the end of this cycle. Faster than any Zipp wheel or aero helmet would provide. The engine is going to get a new turbo charger.

All this stuff is free. The only thing we are going to ask and it is not mandatory is that if you get something out of this program you make a donation to a really good cause that I will let you know about later. No obligation, we won’t even know if you did or not. Completely your choice.. It’s a really good cause. The details of this to come.

Why did I do this ? I see people struggle with power and not have the time or the desire to figure it out. I saw Jorge do something similar a few years ago, I followed it and it helped me. Time to pay back to the community. I like geekness and I think others will to. I wanted to find a way to get people to know the cause I talked about above.

Oh yes, I forgot to mention…..who is the coach ? I told you it gets better as I describe it.

You probably know him: Shane.

Shane is one of the nicest and most helpful guys on BT. More important he is one of the most competent. He has never coached me but I know several guys that he has coached and they have improved dramatically. I watched the workouts he was giving his athletes and was incredibly impressed. You cannot imagine how lucky we are to have him onboard. The guy is busy with a career, coaching and his own kids, but he is volunteering his time to help us out. I will try to host the group so we don’t take up all of his time. I have been training with power a few years so know my way around GC and a Power Meter.

So set up your plain caves and get ready to have ‘fun’ in the new year. I

And a special thank you to to BT admins that allowed us to do this.

BTW, we will probably do another of these in the future (if it works out), so if you like the idea, don’t worry, there will be an opportunity to participate later.

If you want out, just drop me a note in PM. If you don’t think you will be able to follow the program let me know so we can free up a spot for someone else. I suspect there will be a few more spots available but let’s see.

I you still want in, just PM me to confirm, maybe just tell me your first name. I won't be publishing it or anything, just to know who you are. If you have concerns, by all means, just ask.

I hope you like the idea.

2013-12-14 6:50 AM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Awesome!  That's really cool Marc and Shane.

2013-12-14 2:24 PM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Man this sound great!

Wife is going to hate it that I need to spend another $50 bucks on the new bike for the GSC10 and dongle.

2013-12-14 2:40 PM

User image

Regular
Would love to be in. Bought a Power2max and road with it a couple times to see the numbers. Ive been marathon training and the race is now 2 weeks away. Come January I'll hit the ground running for Ironman training and really want to see my bike split explode and get the know how to train with power. I'm PM'ing you.

Thanks, Tom
2013-12-14 2:49 PM

User image

Veteran
South Windsor, CT
Originally posted by marcag you will install Golden Cheetah (free). GC has what is known as a training tab where kind of like Trainer Road you can see a workout in the form of a graph and you try to follow the graph. It shows you your Power, HR, target…all kind of cool things.

What is great is GC can then be used to analyze your workout. You can share the files so a coach can comment on them. You can maintain charts on your fitness. We will provide instructions, assistance to get you going. If you have a power meter all you will need is a computer and USB stick. If you are on VP all you need is the computer, USB stick and speed sensor. GC supports the Cycleops II and KK hence why I put them in the original idea.

--------

All this stuff is free. The only thing we are going to ask and it is not mandatory is that if you get something out of this program you make a donation to a really good cause that I will let you know about later.

--------

Why did I do this ? I see people struggle with power and not have the time or the desire to figure it out. I saw Jorge do something similar a few years ago, I followed it and it helped me. Time to pay back to the community.

Who is the coach ?
You probably know him: Shane.

---------

I hope you like the idea.

Marc
Which version of GC is best to download 2.1.0 or 3.0.0?
When will you let us know about the 'cause'?

Many thanks to Shane for his involvement and I am very much looking forward to this-

I LOVE the idea.
And good for you to give back. We all appreciate it and will benefit, so thanks!

Dale
2013-12-14 2:51 PM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Thank you so so much, Marc (and Shane!).  This is way cool!  I'm looking forward to it.

Couple questions:  When does it start?  What's the structure of the program look like -- days/week on the trainer, time requirements, enough recovery such that outdoor/long rides are doable?  Is it suitable for any race distance or will it cater better to a specific distance?  

2013-12-14 3:16 PM
in reply to: ligersandtions

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by ligersandtions

Thank you so so much, Marc (and Shane!).  This is way cool!  I'm looking forward to it.

Couple questions:  When does it start?  What's the structure of the program look like -- days/week on the trainer, time requirements, enough recovery such that outdoor/long rides are doable?  Is it suitable for any race distance or will it cater better to a specific distance?  

The mentor groups will start in two weeks or so. I suspect we will start the program early in the new year which just a bit more than two weeks.

I suspect it will not be race distance specific. This is the time of year, far from your race that you can simply up your roof and ceiling and get more race specific as that gets close.

2013-12-14 3:18 PM
in reply to: dtoce

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by dtoce
Which version of GC is best to download 2.1.0 or 3.0.0?
When will you let us know about the 'cause'?

3.0 for sure. It works really well.

Cause should be soon. I am speaking to the representative so we can make it super simple.
2013-12-14 4:11 PM

User image

New user
Santa came early and I just got my Quarq installed. Currently using it with my KK trainer.
2013-12-14 7:22 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Wow...this is so much more than what I was expecting.  And for those that are not familiar with Marc and Shane, I cannot tell you enough how awesome this group should be.

Edited by Jason N 2013-12-14 7:23 PM
2013-12-14 8:35 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Master
Marc and Shane - Thanks! I sent my PM to Marc - looking forward to the plan.
2013-12-15 6:43 AM

User image

Master
Johns Creek, Georgia

Very very cool - thank you Marc & Shane!  Looking forward to getting started and really appreciate you giving your time & knowledge to help us.

2013-12-15 8:03 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
We're getting pretty full. I am waiting for a few to confirm and then we can figure out how many to add
2013-12-16 5:17 AM

User image

I got a Quark and and could use some help. This would be great. Thanks.
2013-12-16 6:04 AM
in reply to: 0

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

Edited by Fred D 2013-12-16 6:06 AM
2013-12-16 1:55 PM
in reply to: Fred D

Extreme Veteran
Ajo
Souds like a great program, any structured program and being honest with yourself and others helps. Good luck to everyone.
2014-01-07 11:55 PM

Boulder, Colorado
I don't know if it's too late, but I just got a PowerTap G3 and an Edge 510. I'm a total power newbie, training for my 3rd IM. Any more spots?

2014-01-08 5:27 AM
in reply to: ReginaPhalange72

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by ReginaPhalange72

I don't know if it's too late, but I just got a PowerTap G3 and an Edge 510. I'm a total power newbie, training for my 3rd IM. Any more spots?

Sure, come over to the mentor group and post a bio and be ready to test ....like....now :-)
We are on our first week, people are doing the 5' and 20' tests this week.

Come over, we'll get you going
2014-01-08 9:04 PM

Boulder, Colorado
Originally posted by marcag

Originally posted by ReginaPhalange72

Sure, come over to the mentor group and post a bio and be ready to test ....like....now :-)
We are on our first week, people are doing the 5' and 20' tests this week.

Come over, we'll get you going

Awesome! Thanks!
2014-02-14 8:24 AM

I really wish i had seen this previously, Quarq arrives this week and this seems to be ideal for me. Is it too late to take part?
2014-02-14 11:41 AM
in reply to: markyhopkins

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by markyhopkins

I really wish i had seen this previously, Quarq arrives this week and this seems to be ideal for me. Is it too late to take part?

We're about half way through the session so it would be hard for someone to jump in, but there is a lot of info in the thread and I'm sure if you have questions we can find some answers.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Newbies to power Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Some power questions from a power rookie

Started by Bripod
Views: 1155 Posts: 8

2012-05-16 11:05 PM Bripod

power...POWER...

Started by evb4mvp
Views: 1076 Posts: 12

2012-01-13 1:19 PM Fastyellow

"Power" training without power meter?

Started by scott319
Views: 2395 Posts: 7

2011-07-12 3:09 PM gadzooks

Avg power for those with power meters? Pages: 1 2 3

Started by Oriondriver02
Views: 7950 Posts: 71

2011-04-09 8:52 PM GoFaster

Power Meter (Power Tap) Basics

Started by jamesehatcher
Views: 1939 Posts: 10

2007-10-24 11:33 AM yaqui
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 19, 2009
author : jasongootman
comments : 0
Learn how a power meter can serve a role as a race-reconnaissance tool and to help in pacing so you don't go out too hard. Race power analysis included.

date : March 4, 2009
In this third part, we discuss bike workout types and how they relate to power training. Power analysis of workouts included. Presented by Tri-Hard coaching and Fit Werx.
date : January 20, 2009
In this second part, we discuss indoor, outdoor and ramp functional threshold tests to determine your power training zones. Presented by Tri-Hard coaching and Fit Werx.

date : December 3, 2008
What is power training? In this first part, learn the terms and definitions associated with power training. Presented by Tri-Hard coaching and Fit Werx.
date : October 21, 2008
author : Coach AJ
comments : 1
Training with a power meter will make sure that you are spending every minute on the bike effectively. Racing with a power meter will keep you humble and in your proper zones on race day.

date : April 1, 2008
author : sportfactory
comments : 1
How will a power meter help my cycling training and racing? A few questions and answers will help determine if a power meter will be good for you.
date : March 17, 2008
author : CPT
In this third segment, Colorado Premier Training goes through several bike position tests to improve on rider efficiency. This was accomplished by varying the saddle height and aerobar width.

date : December 3, 2007
author : CPT
comments : 5
Colorado Premier Training goes over the basics of what bike power training is and how it relates to your optimal bike position.