General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Newbies to power Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-12-11 7:13 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: Newbies to power
I am working on an idea...more to come....but I am looking for newbies to Power out there, that have a Powermeter or using a Kurt Kinetic or Cycleops Fluid 2 but don’t quite know what to do with it ? (Or will be getting one very soon)

People that kind of like the geeky numbers side of things, wanting to improve but don’t quite know which way to go and don’t really have a plan .

Do you fit this description ?

2013-12-11 7:53 AM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Elite
Ontario
Subject: RE: Newbies to power

Marc - I'm not new to power but a friend just got a Cycleops Fluid 2, and I'm trying to push him to use GC or something similar for his winter training, so I'd be very interested to see what you have up your sleeve.

2013-12-11 8:02 AM
in reply to: GoFaster

User image

I have a PowerTap on order that I am picking up this weekend. After the Christmast break (think January 1st) I will start using power. I have really no clue what I am doing with it. That enough of a newbie for you?
2013-12-11 8:05 AM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

I'm very interested!  I've been using power since September and have a KK.  I'm not exactly sure what you have in mind for this, but I think I fit your description pretty well....I know what my strengths and weaknesses are, and sort of have an idea on how to improve on them, but I'm not really sure how to go about coming up with a training program to address them and get ready for my A race. 

2013-12-11 8:17 AM

I should have a new powermeter by the end of the year. I am currently reading "Training and Racing with a Powermeter," by Hunter Allen for guidance. I'm not sure what your idea is, but I fit your description, and am interested.
2013-12-11 8:31 AM
in reply to: ImSore

User image

Extreme Veteran
Great responses so far. I promise more detail soon.

2013-12-11 10:10 AM

I actually just picked up the KK off the Amazon deal along with the Garmin Speed/Cadance Sensor and Trainer Road using virtual power. 3 Months ago I did not even know that power on a bike was even something you could track. Super Newb! So far i have done the 20 minute power test and came out with a 167 as my power number in trainer road. Now I know that trainer road is going to use this magic number to set the green bar on the workouts but beyond that i currently would not knwo how to use that 167 number for workout or race planning.

I'm currently training on a Trek Hybrid right now but lookign to upgrade to a road bike early next year and maybe if funds allow, getting a powetap or power2max.

Power Newb,
Ron
2013-12-11 10:16 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

New user
I have a KK new in the box sitting in my living room that I just picked up to replace my old magnetic trakstand trainer. I also have a used powertap/wheel that I just bought off a friend sitting next to my bike waiting to be installed, and a laptop in the home gym waiting for me to log onto trainer road . . . . . . I'm planning to get it all set up before the end of the month and start training with power in January.

Edited by braciole 2013-12-11 10:18 AM
2013-12-11 11:02 AM
in reply to: braciole

User image

Veteran
Northern Illinois
I started a thread a few weeks ago stating that I had just started training with power (KK Trainer and Kinetic Inride) and how much I was enjoying it. I fall into the Newbie category for sure and would be interested in hearing what your plan is.
2013-12-11 11:04 AM

User image

Pro

Working with a coach, but very new to power and I'm a numbers geek (Engineer!)

I'd love to know what you're up to!

2013-12-11 11:29 AM

User image

Oakville

I have the Cycleops Fluid 2 and all my trainer workouts are on TrainerRoad, either using their library of workouts or creating my own using the Workout Creator software and the Jorge winter plan.

I have a basic understanding of power and what TSS and IF mean, but don't really know what to do with the numbers or what I should be targeting during the base phase or the build phase.

Definitely interested!

2013-12-11 12:45 PM

User image

Good stuff Marc.  I'm fairly experienced with power, but am really curious as to what you're up to.  I think this is a big void in the market right now.  4 years ago, PMs were much more expensive and harder to get.  Usually the people that made the jump into power did their homework and were willing to take the steps to teach themselves how to train with power...not everyone...but I'd say the majority.  It was a niche market.

Fastforward to today, and PMs are all the craze.  Prices have dropped considerably, and they are much more available not only online, but in your LBS.  Virtual power is affordable to almost anyone with a trainer.  But as the barrier for entry into power lowers, what I see is that more people are getting into power without doing their homework on how to use it.  They do the 20' power test...and then what????  There is so much more to power than just FTP.  I'm still learning myself.

2013-12-11 1:36 PM

User image

Veteran
Maine
Another newb here. I've been using virtual power on TR with a Kurt Kenetic for a few months now. Recently picked up a book on training with power and will be installing a power2max power meter within the next couple of weeks.
2013-12-11 1:51 PM
in reply to: Scott71

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Originally posted by Scott71

I have the Cycleops Fluid 2 and all my trainer workouts are on TrainerRoad, either using their library of workouts or creating my own using the Workout Creator software and the Jorge winter plan.

I have a basic understanding of power and what TSS and IF mean, but don't really know what to do with the numbers or what I should be targeting during the base phase or the build phase.

Definitely interested!

Using virtual power on my KK trainer when doing BT/Jorge plan.  Like Scott71, I've read up on some power parametric's but don't currently use them.  Looking at acquiring a Stages PM this year. Please count me in.

2013-12-11 8:29 PM

Just got a Powertap G3 and a new Garmin 510 and haven't got out on the road yet with it. A few rides on my cycle ops fluid 2 trainer is all I have been able to get since the weather turned cold.

I'm interested to hear what you have got cooking...
2013-12-11 9:24 PM
in reply to: wkurider

Scottsdale, AZ
Been training with power indoors (CycleOps bikes) for a year and a half - LOVE it! Don't have a PM on my own bike though, but would love one.
I have a pretty good sense of workouts/FTP and have the Training and Racing book, but still consider myself a newbie with regards to analyzing the numbers and REALLY putting it all together. Would LOVE to see what you are up to and anything that would take my training indoors to the next level!

2013-12-11 9:28 PM

User image

Master
Johns Creek, Georgia
Newb here - bought a powertap about a year ago, trained all year with it leading up to IM Tahoe, but had no idea what I was doing. Still don't. Just road like I always do & had no idea what the numbers meant. Would love to train smarter, just don't know where to start (and don't really want to read a book).
2013-12-12 7:22 AM

User image

Veteran
Orangevale, CA
Just got a PowerTap and have only taken it out for a single ride.

Chris
2013-12-12 10:44 AM
in reply to: croyston

User image

Extreme Veteran
Good responses so far. Everyone seems to be the right type for this idea.
So anyone that has responded until now, that will still want to play when the details come out is more than welcome

I'll provide more info pretty soon. 1 "I to dot" and 1 "T to cross" but it's going to be fun.....well maybe not fun. but ......

One of those things to figure out is how many can play but I wanted to see if there was any interest. There seems to be that. Cool!

And BTW, Jason doesn't exactly fit the profile we were looking for but we'll make one exception
2013-12-12 11:01 AM

User image

Master
Ordered a Power2Max with their Black Friday savings. Have to wait until Christmas to install it (it is being wrapped and put under the tree...). Believe Santa will be bringing me Coggans book or Friel's book on power training. I've used virtual power in the past while using Jorge's winter cycling plan. Like the concept. I felt I wanted to progress to using power on outdoor rides and then as I get into longer course stuff being able to use it in a race.

Settled on the Power2Max due to it being only incrementally more expensive than the Stages but in my mind a bit more accurate due to calculating power at the spider instead on only the left crank.
2013-12-12 11:21 AM
in reply to: trisuppo

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
I'll play. I have a KK road machine still in the box I bought two years ago. I need to hit the bike hard this year since I don't see huge gains on the run coming. Is that all I need? I don't have power stuff but I think there's a power curve associated with the KK road machine.

2013-12-12 2:51 PM

User image

Master
I sort-of fit the description since I have a couple of powertaps (wired and wireless) and both a KK and a Cycle-ops 2 but I fave been using it for a while and kinda know what to do. I will follow this with interest even if I am not selected to participate.
2013-12-12 8:57 PM

User image

Regular
Arlington, VA
I fit the description perfectly. I just bought Garmin Vectors with the hopes of switching from HR training to power training and improving my cycling. All I have done so far are a couple of trainer rides. My intention was to hire a coach who will help me use power once I make my upcoming move in January.
2013-12-12 9:17 PM
in reply to: __sugar__

User image

Just got a power meter last month. Been "training" with it the past month. Did a few FTP tests and am now doing some suggested workouts from Training With a Power Meter book ("easy" lactate threshold workouts for the next 2 months). Only got 2-3 rides outside but I'm on my Fluid 2 for 3x a week now building my base. Hoping to learn some new web frameworks and make an online analysis tool for myself, just to learn new technologies (geek during the day) but I've been too busy training on the "off season "~2 hours/night to get any real progress...doh...
2013-12-12 9:28 PM

User image

Master
University Park, MD
I ride thousands of miles per year on my KK, hardly ever go outside. I don't have a PM, but I know the KK's speed-to-power conversion by heart, to approx 0.1 mph, from hours of staring at the bike computer. I think that might score some geek points.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Newbies to power Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Some power questions from a power rookie

Started by Bripod
Views: 1155 Posts: 8

2012-05-16 11:05 PM Bripod

power...POWER...

Started by evb4mvp
Views: 1076 Posts: 12

2012-01-13 1:19 PM Fastyellow

"Power" training without power meter?

Started by scott319
Views: 2395 Posts: 7

2011-07-12 3:09 PM gadzooks

Avg power for those with power meters? Pages: 1 2 3

Started by Oriondriver02
Views: 7950 Posts: 71

2011-04-09 8:52 PM GoFaster

Power Meter (Power Tap) Basics

Started by jamesehatcher
Views: 1939 Posts: 10

2007-10-24 11:33 AM yaqui
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 19, 2009
author : jasongootman
comments : 0
Learn how a power meter can serve a role as a race-reconnaissance tool and to help in pacing so you don't go out too hard. Race power analysis included.

date : March 4, 2009
In this third part, we discuss bike workout types and how they relate to power training. Power analysis of workouts included. Presented by Tri-Hard coaching and Fit Werx.
date : January 20, 2009
In this second part, we discuss indoor, outdoor and ramp functional threshold tests to determine your power training zones. Presented by Tri-Hard coaching and Fit Werx.

date : December 3, 2008
What is power training? In this first part, learn the terms and definitions associated with power training. Presented by Tri-Hard coaching and Fit Werx.
date : October 21, 2008
author : Coach AJ
comments : 1
Training with a power meter will make sure that you are spending every minute on the bike effectively. Racing with a power meter will keep you humble and in your proper zones on race day.

date : April 1, 2008
author : sportfactory
comments : 1
How will a power meter help my cycling training and racing? A few questions and answers will help determine if a power meter will be good for you.
date : March 17, 2008
author : CPT
In this third segment, Colorado Premier Training goes through several bike position tests to improve on rider efficiency. This was accomplished by varying the saddle height and aerobar width.

date : December 3, 2007
author : CPT
comments : 5
Colorado Premier Training goes over the basics of what bike power training is and how it relates to your optimal bike position.