Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Help a Yoga Non-Believer Understand... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-12-14 8:51 PM
in reply to: Zero2Athlete

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Help a Yoga Non-Believer Understand...
I do hatha yoga sometimes. It is great for stretching and balance but I do it for de-stressing and calming down,
Whenever there is a feeling of unease, or disquiet in the body and mind, you can see this as a signal that something is off; that there is a disconnect somewhere that needs due attention. Yoga can help with it.

2013-12-15 8:06 AM
in reply to: TriMyBest

User image

Melon Presser

Originally posted by TriMyBest

I just did some continuing education regarding yoga for triathletes.  It was a lecture given by Sage Roundtree.

One of the first things she explained was that there are several different types of yoga.  There are ones that hold poses, such as hatha.  There are "flow" yogas, such as vinyasa. More "mystical" versions like kundalini.  the list goes on...

You need to find the type that suits you.  Personally, I do best with the more physical, flowing types that are less "mystical".  I know to avoid hatha and kundalini, etc, but Vinyasa is better for me.

Yoga should be periodized in your training cycle.  The intensity of the yoga should be inverse to the intensity of your s/b/r training.  Generally speaking, this means that you will do it more frequently and more intense types during the out season, and less frequently and less intense types during the meat of your racing season.

Also, athletes tend to need a longer warmup than non-athletes, so it can be useful to do a separate general warmup on a piece of cardio equipment prior to your yoga session and don't try to force more challenging poses early in the session.

Indeed. There are actually several hundred types/schools/methods of yoga, all kinds of hybrids, and modern versions like Yogilates and whatnot. You can do an entire session of FACE yoga. Don't laugh ... or actually, do. That's one of the 'poses'

It's kind of like sitting in on a few randomly chosen classes at a few different institutions of higher learning and concluding that university is for the birds.

If it's something you are interested in, you will definitely be able to find/create a yoga experience that meets your needs/interests/goals, almost regardless of what they are.

For me, when I was recovering from some pretty horrendous tropical illnesses (one of which ate my joints), a lot of breathing/meditative/lying-down pose yoga helped me to not go nuts, and I feel, facilitated healing as well.

Now as an active triathlete again, it helps me manage my arthritis and loosen up any tight spots that develop. That's not to say many other things would be just as helpful or useful--I just really like certain yogic practices for the above and strength training (for me, female over 35 and with above mentioned conditions--very good idea).

2013-12-16 10:47 AM
in reply to: TriAya

User image

Sensei
Sin City

I will pipe in again with finding the right class/type (which was only mentioned later in this thread).  I got really lucky with my introduction to yoga years and years ago which was a vinyasa/flow aka power yoga.  It was a hell of a strength/balance/flexibility workout.  I thought I was a pretty good athlete and it left me a quivering mess on the floor.  I needed to rest at various points and couldn't even stay in proper form without my thighs burning or shoulders shaking.  I though that WAS yoga.  I was working too hard to "meditate"!

Then I moved cities and jumped from class to class to find something I wanted and sometimes it was just sitting around for 60 minutes with some mild stretching.  BORING.  I was surprising how many classes I took were NOT what I was looking for before realizing it was flow/power/vinyasa that suits ME.

As for the breathing?  To me it was sort of the same reason you exhale when lifting weights.  It's part of the release of tension and not tightening up.

If was forced to pick only ONE way to exercise for the rest of my life, it would probably be vinysasa.

2013-12-16 10:00 PM
in reply to: Kido

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
X2 on vinyasa--I've periodically taken classes and it is one h.... of a workout. I would generally end up more sore from it than anything I did with swim, bike, or run, with the possible exception of an Oly distance or longer race. Ended up quitting as I was getting so tired/sore from the sessions it was affecting my training the following day and I was worried I could injure myself. It would have been better to have 2 or 3 shorter sessions per week rather than one 90-minute one, which fell on my day off from SBR (a teacher comes to our workplace on that day), but I didn't have the time or class access for that. I've tried other kinds of yoga in hopes of improving my flexibility but can't stand the "centering" mumbo-jumbo. Maybe I'm too hyperactive. When I am in the middle of a long solo swim or run (and bike to a lesser extent; don't like it that much and Vietnamese traffic isn't very meditative) I do feel "centered" and very focused mentally, and find it calming even if it's a hard effort, much more so than in a group class trying to hold an uncomfortable pose. I find some of the poses are useful for stretching or strength work, but the group classes just don't work with my body or personality.
2013-12-17 9:16 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Sensei
Sin City

I was thinking about this on my run last night.

The way I interpret the "meditation" or "centering" is not some spiritual thing (although it could be for many).  They way I see it, is for yoga, especially vinyasa, you need to be present in the moment.  You have to focus on what you are doing.  You are "centered" in the moment.  My mind constantly wanders during s/b/r (which is not always bad either) but I have to be focused and present in yoga.  So it's 60-90 minutes just about you and your practice, nothing else should get in there.  That's something I miss from team/action sports as well.  Your mind has to be present and can't wander too much (which makes a workout fly by).

2013-12-17 11:14 AM

User image

Expert
Detroit, MI. Kinda.
So I tried the "Yoga" class at my new crossfit gym yesterday...with the regular workouts going on in the background, it was the first time I've done yoga to a soundtrack that included Godsmack and House of Pain. No calming, center-finding happening there! Interestingly, tomorrow I have a date with a yoga instructor that's determined to help me understand - I'm going to one of her classes before we go out.

2013-12-17 11:20 AM

User image

Sensei
Sin City

Originally posted by Zero2Athlete So I tried the "Yoga" class at my new crossfit gym yesterday...with the regular workouts going on in the background, it was the first time I've done yoga to a soundtrack that included Godsmack and House of Pain. No calming, center-finding happening there! Interestingly, tomorrow I have a date with a yoga instructor that's determined to help me understand - I'm going to one of her classes before we go out.

Yoga instructors can be bendy, which is not a bad thing.

2013-12-17 11:32 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2013-12-17 1:03 PM
in reply to: Teejaay

Sensei
Sin City

Originally posted by Teejaay

Originally posted by Zero2Athlete So I tried the "Yoga" class at my new crossfit gym yesterday...with the regular workouts going on in the background, it was the first time I've done yoga to a soundtrack that included Godsmack and House of Pain. No calming, center-finding happening there! Interestingly, tomorrow I have a date with a yoga instructor that's determined to help me understand - I'm going to one of her classes before we go out.

My crossfit gym offered a "Heavy Metal" yoga.  They blared loud, swear-wordy metal music for the class and it incorporated kettlebells into the poses!  I took it a few times and it was definitely more my speed.  But the instructor (who is also a member of the gym) took a job as manager of the local Lululemon and the class went away!  (sad)

Maybe I'm a stickler, but I wouldn't call that "yoga" per say.  Some kind of body weight (or with kettlebell) high intensity thing incorporating yoga postures.  BUT, not to say it's not cool or something I wouldn't mind doing.  Maybe the same as saying crossfit is weight lifting.  Not really, but an evolution/fusion of it.

2013-12-17 1:38 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2013-12-17 1:42 PM
in reply to: Teejaay

Sensei
Sin City

Originally posted by Kido

My crossfit gym offered a "Heavy Metal" yoga.  They blared loud, swear-wordy metal music for the class and it incorporated kettlebells into the poses!  I took it a few times and it was definitely more my speed.  But the instructor (who is also a member of the gym) took a job as manager of the local Lululemon and the class went away!  (sad)

Maybe I'm a stickler, but I wouldn't call that "yoga" per say.  Some kind of body weight (or with kettlebell) high intensity thing incorporating yoga postures.  BUT, not to say it's not cool or something I wouldn't mind doing.  Maybe the same as saying crossfit is weight lifting.  Not really, but an evolution/fusion of it.

It was obviously not yoga in the traditional sense.  I would agree with you.  But it had yoga poses and such.  The girl that taught it has been a yoga instructor for 10 years .. then she started doing kettlebells and a year of so after she came up with a hybrid class using them together. The KB's were mostly used for counterbalance.  They weren't being swung about!   It was different, really challenging and most importantly enjoyable!  And for me if I don't enjoy something I do not continue to do it!

The Yoga studio I used to go to did the same vinyasa class but started to add handweights.  I'm telling you, after 45 minutes of going in and out of Warrior 1,2 and 3 and some revers warrior, 1-2 lb weights felt like 1-2 tons.  Couldn't keep my arms out.

2013-12-18 7:29 AM

Yoga with weights is awesome.
The style is called "Iron Yoga".

5 pounds is about all I can or would want to handle for most poses.
I've bought those ankle and wrist strap on weights for that very purpose.

Ideally, two or three pounds would be perfect, but I got all manly and bought the five pounders.
Warriors and dog splits are KILLERS!!

2013-12-24 5:59 AM
in reply to: #4911652

Master
New Jersey
You ever be stuck on a problem no matter how much you think about it, but as soon as you distract yourself with something else, the solution pops into your mind? That's part of what clearing your mind is about. Letting go of things. Not forcing the issue.

It's not for everyone. you might get the relaxation from a hike in the woods or a long bike ride or whatever. It's just good to take a break from go, go, go. I always think that the harder it is to relax, the more i need it.
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Help a Yoga Non-Believer Understand... Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Help a non-believer understand Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by pga_mike
Views: 5131 Posts: 82

2013-12-12 2:54 PM BrianRunsPhilly

Shun the non believer!

Started by Tri-FatBoy
Views: 1609 Posts: 8

2008-04-23 11:23 AM Tri-FatBoy

Youth "Competitive Cheerleading" - Help me understand Pages: 1 2

Started by OldAg92
Views: 2463 Posts: 44

2008-04-05 10:56 PM jonmetz

Ok you guys, pls help me understand... Pages: 1 2 3

Started by kimta
Views: 2964 Posts: 68

2006-03-23 6:42 AM Marvarnett

W. on torture: help me understand Pages: 1 2 3

Started by run4yrlif
Views: 3166 Posts: 60

2005-11-08 11:39 AM drewb8
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 19, 2009
author : AMSSM
comments : 1
The goals of these treatments are to reduce the need for splints, braces, and anti-inflammatory medications while allowing the patient to continue in their activity of choice during treatment.

date : April 19, 2009
comments : 0
This third and final yoga for triathlete sequence is perfect for following up your training day help you feel more focused, aligned, rejuvenated and recovered.
date : February 16, 2009
comments : 2
What you should know about Achilles tendinopathy to prevent its occurrence and to stop it in its tracks before it stops you.

date : July 7, 2008
author : Ron
comments : 1
This is a 'first impressions' review of the Fit2Race Sockeye Fullsuit. From a first wetsuit point-of-view, I was able to dramatically improve my pace over non-wetsuit swims.
date : December 11, 2007
comments : 0
I am trying to go from being 40 lbs. overweight, however, I keep having pain in my knees, ankle, or hip that stops me from exercising for several days - killing my momentum.

date : November 7, 2007
author : YourYoga
comments : 4
The focus for this first session will be on breathing. Breathing will be the foundation for the more complex and strenuous poses that will support your bodyweight in future yoga poses.
date : May 21, 2007
Not all cramping is training-related. The causes of muscle cramping and the diagnosis of restless leg syndrome including some medical and non-medical treatments.

date : September 10, 2004
author : Ron
Your help is needed to keep BT the best of the best.