General Discussion Triathlon Talk » New Bike or New Wheels? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-12-11 1:59 PM

Subject: New Bike or New Wheels?
Hi all, I believe this is the first time I have posted on the forum (first time in years at least).

I have been doing tri's since 2003, and have had virtually the same equipment set up the entire time (2003 Giant OCR1 Road Bike with clip-on aero bars, stock wheels).

I'm in the mood to upgrade... something. I don't know if I have the budget to invest in a new bike AND race wheels, so I wanted to get the opinion of the masses: if this was an "either/or" thing, is it better to get a set of race wheels for my current bike? Or go with a tri specific bike (like a Felt B12/B16 for example) and the stock wheels it comes with? Or some reasonable combination of the two?

I do bike with a group about half the time that frowns on tri bikes in a pack, so I might opt to keep the OCR1 just to bike with them. But all other training would be on the new bike IF that's the wiser choice.

I'm doing the Steelhead 70.3 in 2014 (this will be my 3rd HIM) and then various other tris.

Also, I'll add that I would fit into the "Clydesdale" weight class... if that would influence one's advice.

Thanks in advance!

2013-12-11 4:32 PM
in reply to: DorkRocketKirk

User image

Inglewood
Subject: RE: New Bike or New Wheels?
I'd definitely go with a new tri bike over wheels. Wheels over the course of an Olympic race may save you a few minutes time, but the switch to a tri bike will save you time on the bike and also save your legs on the run (assuming you are professionally fitted). I'm not a super fast cyclist, but the only bikes that pass me during sprints thru Ironman races are tri bikes. As for wheels, you can always get a wheel cover for your rear training wheel (about $100).
2013-12-12 5:48 AM

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
The OCR1 is not a bad bike per se, but it's definitely getting old. Frame and component technology has moved a long way since 2003. I would seriously consider spending the money on a new aero road bike.
2013-12-12 6:55 AM

User image

Veteran
Sykesville, MD

Plenty of great options here if interested... let me know. Thanks.

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/gforum.cgi?post=4617036;

2013-12-12 12:56 PM
in reply to: mybikeshop

Subject: RE: New Bike - what to get?
Thanks for the feedback everyone - so it appears the new bike is the route to go. I'm not opposed to buying used at all - but now I just need to figure out what bike is the best bet.

I live in MN - locally the go-to store is Gear West. They carry Felt, QR, Cervelo and Trek predominantly. I'm also super-intrigued by the Cannondale Slice that is offered by Nytro as part of their package (I don't need a lot of the stuff in the package, but enough of the stuff that the $1999 price sounds great).

I plan on swinging into GW and getting fitted, but perhaps I could get some advice here too. I'm right at 5'11" and have about a 31-31 1/2 inseam. I'm not sure if that makes me "short leg / longer torso" or just sort of "average". I know the guys at GW are awesome at doing bike fits and could probably fit me on any bike - but are there certain things I should be looking out for?

I'll put my budget at no more than $2K for something new, if I were to go the used route I'd definitely want to keep it to $1500 or under.
2013-12-13 8:19 AM

User image

Pro
Twin Cities
Ah, team dork rocket. Are you all still a team? Yay for you, if so. I always wanted to join. :-)

You're probably more short legged or average, I'd guess...but that's neither here nor there. (I'd GUESS you're a medium or M/L, and a 54-56...in general, not brand specific terms). Are you riding a medium OCR?

You can shop any of the stores if you are looking around at brands. Eriks, NOW, and Penn all carry tri bikes. Gear can fit you on anything you buy, even 2nd hand (I have bought bikes there and not there, and still do my fits at Gear--my current bike is a Specialized, which Gear does not carry, but they did my fit).

You can get a very nice bike used for under $2k. If you want wheels and bike, and are willing to go up to $3k, you'd be pretty well set (and could probably do it for less).

2013-12-13 8:20 AM

User image

One other place to check out in MN is Apple Valley Ski and Bike.  They have some really great pricing on previous year Felts.  You can snag a B16 for $1500 and a B12 for $2000.  The sale models even have better components than the new year models.  The B16 has some Ultegra stuff and the B12 has some Dura Ace stuff.  New models are a step down (105 and Ultegra respectively).

Only catch on the B16 is that the smallest size that they have is a 58cm, which might be a little big.  I'm 6' and I ended up fitting on the 56cm (I think I may have gotten one of the last ones a few months back).  But the B12 model has 54cm and 56cm models in stock.

They aren't a dedicated bike/tri shop like Gear West.  But I was happy with their service and it's a really good deal if you can find a bike that fits.

2013-12-13 3:35 PM
in reply to: jrensink78

That's great to know - I will check out AV for sure!! Thanks!

Oh, Team Dork Rocket is more or less disbanded, though a few of us still wear the TDR gear at races. The website is down, unfortunately.
2013-12-13 4:09 PM

User image

Pro

it really all depends on what your goals are.  A new Tri bike has the potential to be faster than just adding wheels to your current bike.  The reason for this is body position.  Getting your body out of the wind has a more significant aero affect than aero wheels, and just adding aero bars to a road bike, closes up your hip angle and you lose more power... or don't get low enough.

but- it sounds like you've got other things going on.  You like to ride with a group- where a TT bike wouldn't really be welcome- and, you're due for a new bike.  So, you might just want to get a great new road bike and enjoy the hell out of it.  yeah- come race day, you might be a minute or two slower- but how much does that really matter to you?  

If you do most of your riding solo- then sure.  get the B12.  Plus- it comes with aero training wheels.  Put a $100 cover on the rear, and you're most of the way there.  

If you haven't invested in an aero helmet yet- that will buy you as much speed as aero wheels, for a lot less.  Gearup.active.com has some good ones on deep discount.  riding with a wrinkle free tri suit- also helps.

Presuming that you're not going pro any time soon.  get the bike that you'll ride the most.  Remember- you do this for fun.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » New Bike or New Wheels? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

new tri bike vs new wheels

Started by playmobil31
Views: 1637 Posts: 3

2011-05-25 7:05 PM playmobil31

hand me down bike, need new wheels

Started by nimbus
Views: 1305 Posts: 15

2008-03-13 10:50 AM nimbus

new bike's front wheel noisy

Started by Butcher
Views: 804 Posts: 4

2006-08-18 8:39 AM ride_like_u_stole_it

Bike P*RN - w/ new neuvation R28 SL2 wheels

Started by auto208562
Views: 1360 Posts: 3

2006-08-02 8:31 AM auto208562

New bike with New wheels!

Started by Special K
Views: 1762 Posts: 22

2005-02-03 9:32 AM Special K
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 27, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Hint: It's not a one-person job

date : January 1, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 0
Here are five steps to ensure that you keep your promise to yourself to get you to that first triathlon.
date : January 8, 2010
comments : 1
I am in the market for a new road bike, at several local bike stores I will test ride several bikes. Other than basic fit and components, how should I compare them while doing a test ride?

date : December 15, 2008
comments : 2
I bought a new road bike in April and want to know how to properly maintain it during the season when I'm riding often and during the off season.
date : January 24, 2005
author : Michael
I heard an athletic trainer say that in life we have many setbacks. The key is to overcome these setbacks, but the question is how?

date : September 4, 2004
author : anchorage84
It’s just so discouraging to know that within a few more weeks those New Years’ Resolutionists are going to quietly disappear.
author : Daniel Clout
My expectations for the quality of this years’ Triathlon world championship were fulfilled. This was because of the superb location that is like no other along with having the top triathletes present.

author : Daniel Clout
There is a marvelous destiny out there waiting for you too, but only if you are willing to take chances and put yourself on the line.