General Discussion Triathlon Talk » KC swimming Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-12-11 7:52 PM

User image

Kansas City, Missouri
Subject: KC swimming
I was thinking of adding the swim portion to my wonderful duathlons next fall, but than started thinking why not start a bit early.

Looking for some advice/opinions/knowledge etc... For starters, I really can NOT swim. Due to health issues as a child I never actually learned. I can attack the water in a freestyle movement for about 50-75yrds. I can't tread water, float, or dive.

Just looking for advice on how to get this ball rolling... I am thinking lessons, than some basic aquatics classes, than some basic laps, and eventually join a Masters Class. Thoughts???

And any information on the following gyms??? or any not listed. Feel free to PM if not wanting to sound negative towards gyms/coaches/instructors.

Prarie Life (both locations but mainly Olathe)
Health Ridge
Sylvester Powell, Jr. Community Center
68’s Inside Sports
Element Fitness
The Roeland Park Aquatic Center

Edited by coyote39 2013-12-11 7:54 PM

2013-12-11 9:29 PM
in reply to: coyote39

User image

Regular
Kansas City Area
Subject: RE: KC swimming
I don't know anything about those pools but I go to 24 HR Fitness in Shawnee and it really is pretty good.

As far as learning to swim, take my advice for what it's worth but I was a lot like you about 2 years ago. I didn't do anything special. I just started going to the pool and would keep trying. I literally could only go about 15 yards at first (despite being a 3:15 marathoner) and it was frustrating. I couldn't get the breathing down right but then all of a sudden it just worked. Don't get me wrong, it was the result of practicing trying to breath and finally my body just figured out how to do it. Now I swim fine. Still way too freaking slowly, but fine.

Not sure if this helps but figured I'd throw it out there. You can do it!

2013-12-11 11:16 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olathe, KS
Healthridge has private lessons available, although I don't know if they actively promote them. However, I'm sure if you inquire about it they will put you in touch with one of their two(?) instructors I've seen there. I've seen a wide range of ages do private lessons, from younger kids to older adults. I've swam in lanes next to these lessons and you have your own lane and its almost always one on one.

The Masters program has three practices a week but from what I can tell the format revolves more around doing a written workout and less about intensive stroke instruction, so this may not be your bet route - at least initially.

With that said, I used to teach/coach swimming and if you're ever in need of a lesson I'm always willing to help someone learn how to swim or improve their swimming should you join Healthridge.

Edited by Barkeep 2013-12-11 11:20 PM
2013-12-12 9:18 AM
in reply to: Barkeep

User image

Veteran
Shawnee
There is a beginners swimming workshop/class through Sylvester Powell in Mission. They also have a "tri fit" clinic that meets on Saturday mornings. This class is geared toward very new swimmers. My wife is doing her first Tri this year and she's never swam in her life. She is going to do one of these.

Here's a link with some more info: http://www.sylvesterpowell.com/assets/999ef83114ff74905eccb6cfb8c16...

Personally, I swim at a local high school early in the AM. While there is no instruction, just going someplace and working at it would help (if you want more than what is in a weekly class). As was stated by another poster, I think part of swimming is just getting comfortable in the water. This can be a process.

If you look at some of the very basic tri programs (there are some free ones here) there is some basic instruction that (if applied) would help a very new swimmer (one of them starts with swimming 12 or 25 yards, then resting 1 minute, repeat x number of times). Obviously, it progresses from there...but there are some plans that start at the very very basics.

2013-12-12 9:31 AM
in reply to: dprocket

User image

Veteran
I go to Prairie Life in Olathe. I typically do the masters class T/R at 7. Sometimes I end up doing the T/R morning class at 6. I know they also have a Saturday morning class (7 I think). They all revolve around doing a workout, not much swim instruction.

They also have some classes (SWIFT I think is the name) that are a little more stroke instruction from what I gather. I am sure there are also pirvate lessons if you want to inquire. There is also a tri class on Saturdays- never done this personally. Check the club schedule to see what classes are offered and the little blurb about the class- that may help.

I think like most things, just get in and do it. Improvement will come.

Not sure if price is an issue- may check out the cost to do these programs at different places as well. Some gyms include the classes and others are a pay as you go type thing.

Good luck!
2013-12-12 10:02 AM
in reply to: jlpete98

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
x2 on Prairie Life. Quite a few triathletes swim there and the Tuesday/Thursday night masters swim group is friendly to beginners and has written workouts. AND masters swim is included in membership. Most other gyms charge $25-30 extra for masters swim. Prairie life also has Sat. morning Tri classes where they swim, bike then do run/strength. The guy who runs that has a swim background.

And there's also a monthly "business" meeting with the Tuesday/Thursday night masters group after the workout. Good times.

2013-12-12 2:38 PM
in reply to: reecealan

User image

Veteran
Prairie Village, Kansas
While I'm not a current member, the Jewish Community Center has a pretty solid masters program and turnout. They swim over lunch, which is sometimes problematic, but they do also have morning sessions (I believe). I also know they give individual lessons frequently. Indoor 25 yard pool and outdoor 50 meter pool in the summer (OHH 50M pool....)

-1 for Prairelife. Reece and Pete swim there.... (kidding, I'm looking at joining as well)
2013-12-12 3:10 PM
in reply to: m.a.burghart

User image

Kansas City, Missouri
Thanks for all the information so far. I am going to check out Prarie Life sometime this weekend.
2014-01-18 9:57 AM
in reply to: #4911968

User image

Kansas City, Missouri
Update. Well I got my feet wet this week. Started private lessons this past Wednesday at Prairie Life in Olathe. Learned a ton. Practiced those drills again on my own Friday and just got hammered at a morning class today. Long LONG way to go. Hope everyone is getting some solid winter hours in.
2014-01-18 1:20 PM

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
Excellent. Did you do the tri class or masters swim this morning? A few of us swim masters Tuesday and Thursday night at 7:00 PM.
2014-01-19 9:01 PM

User image

Overland Park
I attend the Prairie Life Center in Olathe and in the past swam at the Y in Olathe. For the first several months I just got into water and tried to improve my distance each time or each week I visited. You almost have to swim 3x a week to start building and seeing any improvements but it will come slowly. I got some good videos/DVD (Total Immersion I believe) at Johnson County library which will help you learn balance and stream lining through the water.

2014-01-20 9:16 AM
in reply to: reecealan

User image

Kansas City, Missouri
Tri class. I'm a LONG way from hanging with the Masters class.
2014-01-29 11:43 AM

New to the forum - but appreciate knowing all of this information exists!

I have completed two sprint distance triathlons - the first was 2013 Shawnee Mission on a mountain bike and the 2nd was the Naples HITS triathlon in early January 2014 on a rented aluminum road bike (huge difference over mountain bike).

So now I am HOOKED! I am a very strong swimmer having competed when I was a youngster - I was able to pick it right back up. Would like some guidance on biking (equipment, type of training, etc.) and running. I would like to get faster in each of those portions of the tri. Also does anyone do group training in the spring/summer - would love to be a part of that. I live out in Olathe.

Thanks!

Mike
2014-01-29 3:18 PM
in reply to: mbserum

User image

Veteran
There are a handful of us that are in Olathe and Southern JoCo that do group rides and runs (sometimes open water swims when we get a chance). Depending on what races you are doing, often there are groups that meet to train on the courses. I know last year several of us met to ride/run the SM Park Course, Ironman KS course, as well as the courses out by longview lake.

I know in the summer some of us have more flexible schedules and try to get some rides in during the week. Others meet up on evenings and weekends. When it gets nicer out, watch the forum for planned outings.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » KC swimming Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Masters Swim in the KC Area?

Started by kyleh
Views: 1600 Posts: 8

2012-12-14 3:23 PM thepaul500

swimming in the off season in KC

Started by someguyinKC
Views: 1261 Posts: 2

2011-10-07 3:45 PM reecealan

KC BTers

Started by Hot Joe
Views: 1138 Posts: 2

2008-03-11 2:32 PM tri-dg

Local KC Triathlon Coach

Started by IKENTRI
Views: 2294 Posts: 1

2008-03-10 4:02 PM IKENTRI

Place to run in KC

Started by climbin5414
Views: 983 Posts: 2

2007-05-22 10:14 AM VeganMan
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 13, 2011
author : garyhallsr
comments : 2
What triathletes can learn from a new world record in the 1500 meters

date : July 18, 2011
author : garyhallsr
comments : 5
World-record swimmer gives advice on correct breathing technique
date : October 29, 2008
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 0
Triathlon swim training discussions on the pull, open water swimming all year, winter swim focus, bilateral breathing during a race and Ironman swim training in 6 weeks.

date : March 17, 2008
author : randomescape
comments : 10
I first decided I was going to "do" a triathlon in 1994. It wasn't until 13 years later, in 2007 that I actually did. Why did it take me 13 years to get to the starting line? The swim!
date : September 3, 2006
author : TriDDS
comments : 1
Stroke after stroke, my pace was pulling me out into the middle of the lake quickly. The cover seemed to be getting thicker. But still in the distance, the little boathouse was my lighthouse.

date : April 2, 2006
Discussions on endurance building, bilateral breathing, kick drills with zoomers, tri versus competitive swimming, ramping up for a HIM and swim golf.
date : May 3, 2005
comments : 1
Swimming and golf can both present you with a meditative-like form of exercise that I have found to be both fulfilling and fun!

date : October 10, 2004
Many people in the triathlon world think they need to just emulate Ian Thorpe to have a faster time, or have a similar stroke to Michael Phelps to cruise through the swim. Unfortunately...