General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Cycling and Running winter gear essentials? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-12-14 12:55 PM

, Georgia
Subject: Cycling and Running winter gear essentials?
If you saw this as a blank thread initially, please accept my apologies for being a complete idiot with my keyboard skills.

Anyway, I was looking through some of the articles on this site about what is considered essential and nonessential gear. While everything was useful, I noticed something was missing: Cycling and Running winter gear essentials.

I don't have the slightest idea with running besides getting sweatshirts and sweat pants. With biking, I got recommendations on cycling gear from a friend for essentials, but the pricing is a bit...well...insane. It consisted of solid winter gloves, wool socks, men's tights, a long sleeve jersey, and a soft-shell jacket. I don't mind paying for it, but I'm pinching pennies here and I'd like to carry over some cash from this general budget into May when I allocate more money for summer gear (including a two-piece triathlon suit).

I just have a quick question regarding this: I'm wanting to be able to interchange gear between cycling and running in order to cut down on expenditures. I'm running on a $1,600 budget including taxes, running shoes and a road bike; I'm figuring the bike will gobble up at least 60% of that by itself. Due to that, is there any specific winter gear that are good for both running and cycling?

Edited by PhoenixM 2013-12-14 1:03 PM

2013-12-14 1:43 PM
in reply to: PhoenixM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas
Subject: RE: Cycling and Running winter gear essentials?

Tough one, as everything in triathlon seems to be price a bit, well, insanely...

The things that I use for both in REALLY cold weather are my lobster gloves (my hands get cold more easily with each year), a full face balaclava out of which I've cut the mouth (but it comes over my nose and, more importantly, my cheeks - without this I'd get frostbitten cheeks, since I have a supermodel's high cheekbones).  I hate using the balaclava, but when it gets down around zero F (actual or effective), it extends the time I can spend outside considerably.

The other thing I'll use in both are some mid-weight smartwool socks.  On the bike, these help (under quilted boot covers, but I need them to keep the cold from coming up from below) and they are perfect for REALLY cold runs, for me.

I also use my windproof, space blanket type lining jacket in both.  The layers beneath it are different for running and riding, but it cuts the wind (which is what kills me down around zero) for both.

Of these, the jacket was the most expensive, followed by the gloves.  I think cheaper mittens would work on the run, but I don't feel safe riding with just mittens, and gloves aren't warm enough for ME on the really cold rides (so, mittens will keep you running longer than gloves on the bike, but it's a cheaper solution, as most mittens and gloves are way cheaper and more generally useful than the lobster ones).

I've been tempted to wear my windproof winter pants running, but I just can't bring myself to and just put tights under a pair of sweats...

Hope that helps - it's tough to get all the gear for tri, and even tougher to manage it all year round if you get cold weather…  Good luck and enjoy the sport!

Matt

2013-12-14 3:13 PM
in reply to: 0

I think people stopped running in sweatpants and sweatshirts at the same time as nylon 'jogging suits' went out of style in the 80s.

You want tech fabrics, not loose, baggy cotton.
Varied tight thickness depending on temp. Very light/vented in the 20s, heavier and lined in the teens and below.
On the top you want layers. A light shirt with a vest on top for the 30s. A heavier shirt and vest or light shirt with an unlined light jacket in the 20s. Heavier shirt (or shirts) and jacket for the teens and below.

Invest in a variety of glove thicknesses and at least one pair of convertible mittens. A headband, skullcap and balaclava will complete what you need for your head.

edit- going to be very tight on that budget if you are counting bike, biking shoes, running shoes, helmet, accessories, and multi-sport apparel

Your best bet would be to forgo the winter clothes right for now. Wait until just before spring, you'll be able to get the same items for 25-50% off. Summer gear isn't quite as expensive, so less of a issue.

Edited by Ridgeway 2013-12-14 3:18 PM
2013-12-14 11:42 PM

User image

Regular
Portland, Oregon
Where do you live?
If phoenix, get a light jacket and you are done!
If a cold place, just ride the trainer since cold weather cycling stuff is crazy expensive.
Running: tights - $30, gloves - $20, windproof jacket - $40, hat - $10 = $100 total. That is enough for a couple hours until you get to single digits.
2013-12-14 11:53 PM
in reply to: dfroelich

, Georgia
Originally posted by dfroelich

Where do you live?
If a cold place, just ride the trainer since cold weather cycling stuff is crazy expensive.
Running: tights - $30, gloves - $20, windproof jacket - $40, hat - $10 = $100 total. That is enough for a couple hours until you get to single digits.

I'm in the metro Atlanta area, so our winters often suffer from bipolar disorder. It seldom gets below 35 as a high though. If it does, we're ankle deep in snow.
2013-12-15 10:11 AM

User image

Regular
Portland, Oregon
Above freezing, I'm fine with my above list, but usually shorts. I end up carrying the hat/gloves most runs as well.
We've had similar bi-polar weather up here as well: 10 days of -5 to 10, then this week, it was probably in the low 40's...heat wave!

2013-12-15 11:27 AM

Running and biking tights can be the same. My cycling tights are not padded.
2013-12-15 2:24 PM
in reply to: #4913222

Thicker tires for riding on the road. It seems there's more debris during the winter and it sucks stopping to change a flat?
2013-12-15 2:29 PM
in reply to: #4913558

User image

Regular
My essential is a good gym membership.....

I hate the cold....
2013-12-15 8:32 PM

User image

Master
University Park, MD
Cycling: trainer (+ distractions + cooling/ventilation [industrial strength])
Running: (i) running tights, possibly w/ lining; (ii) warm base layer shirt (love my UnderArmour Cold Gear); (iii) reflective vest + headlamp opens up the evening hours to running
2013-12-16 8:15 AM

User image

DC
Originally posted by PhoenixM

Where do you live?

I'm in the metro Atlanta area, so our winters often suffer from bipolar disorder. It seldom gets below 35 as a high though. If it does, we're ankle deep in snow.

35 degrees (Fahrenheit?) to me is like summer in the winter. If that's how cold it gets, then I don't think you should be spending that much. At that weather, I'd still use regular bike shorts w/knee warmers. Do the layering for your core but no need to spend hefty cash for a fancier wind breaker. I have the fancy wind breaker, but I still prefer to use a layer of newspaper on my chest. Gloves... yeah, $20/$30 is about right. The Performance house-brand if fine IMO.

2013-12-16 8:39 AM
in reply to: Porfirio

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

The Under Armour Cold Gear base layer is the best thing I've ever bought for cold weather running.  You could wear that with nothing else down to about 40 degrees, then layer a bit on top for colder weather.   I also like Smartwool socks.

2013-12-16 10:08 AM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

I'm in FL and it's not consistently cold here, but we do get down to freezing for periods of time in Jan and Feb. 

As far as "cross over" gear that I use for either running or cycling:

Fitted tech-fabric base layer shirt that I can wear under either a long-sleeve running shirt or bike jersey.

Tights that can be worn running or on the bike (I wear shorty socks most of the time, so also have a couple pairs of longer ones that cover the gap between my shoes and tights.

Thin knit gloves that can be work for running or riding.  The pair I have are actually sold as "bike glove liners" designed to be worn under fingerless bike gloves.  For running I find that inexpensive cotton gardening gloves work well.

Arm warmers that can be worn with short sleeve bike jerseys or for running.  (Living in FL, it's hard to justify buying long-sleeve bike jerseys that are only going to be worn a few days a year).

Light weight nylon wind vest that can be used for either running or cycling.

Skull cap that I wear under my bike helmet. 

Mark 

2013-12-16 12:39 PM

Where do you live?

I'm in the ATL metro too. This morning when I went for my run it was below 30 so I wore a thermal cap, a short sleeve tech shirt with a lightweight Nike running jacket, Nike running tights that are probably moderate thickness, and some moderate thickness running gloves. No special socks. The worst part is the cold on the face initially but other than that I was fine, especially once I warmed up and on a sunny morning like today it was more bearable.

If it gets to be above 40 I'll switch to shorts and then as the temp increases obviously start to lose layers (gloves, jacket, thermal cap).
2013-12-16 1:47 PM
in reply to: tb1000

User image

Veteran
Calgary
Originally posted by tb1000

Where do you live?

I'm in the ATL metro too. This morning when I went for my run it was below 30 so I wore a thermal cap, a short sleeve tech shirt with a lightweight Nike running jacket, Nike running tights that are probably moderate thickness, and some moderate thickness running gloves. No special socks. The worst part is the cold on the face initially but other than that I was fine, especially once I warmed up and on a sunny morning like today it was more bearable.

If it gets to be above 40 I'll switch to shorts and then as the temp increases obviously start to lose layers (gloves, jacket, thermal cap).

Seriously? At 30F, cold on the face is not a problem - that's just a fact.

I use most of my winter sports clothes for cycling, running and cross country skiing. A base layer shirt is a base layer shirt. Similarly my gloves, sports socks, sports hats, outer jacket and fleece sweaters are performing the same basic function for any of these sports. I have gloves, hats and shirts of various thicknesses that I wear in different combinations to match the weather. However, most of my gear would be overkill for Atlanta.

I can see more reason to have different tights or shorts for various sports but in my case I have winter sports pants that are good for running, cycling and XC skiing.

Cycling requires extra layers in comparison with XC skiing and running - particularly for feet and hands due to more wind from the faster speed and lack of upper body movement.
Don
2013-12-16 2:09 PM
in reply to: donw

User image

Champion
Calgary
super warm lobster style mittens for the bike. Anything below -2 C I pull those suckers out. If it is above 0 I stick to magic mitts under bike gloves. Tips of fingers get cold but usually manageable. I need super warm socks. The thing that gets you is the windchill. Even a little wind I find, brrrrrrrr. Never biked below -5 C or so though.

Running. I can run in -10C, no problem, just shorts and a tshirt. Colder than that I go with a long sleeved tech, colder than that I add a cotton tshirt on top, colder than that I add a running jacket. At some point I add tights, maybe -15C or so. I have run at -30C, need tights and pants and long sleeved shirt, warm hoodie and a jacket. Really tricky at that temperature because you still sweat, which is no problem, but when you stop you just start to freeze.

Total cost, not expensive at all. Maybe a good pair of tights will run you 80 bucks. Those warm gloves, maybe 40. Good socks maybe 20.

2013-12-16 2:13 PM
in reply to: donw

Originally posted by donw

Originally posted by tb1000

Where do you live?

Seriously? At 30F, cold on the face is not a problem - that's just a fact.

I use most of my winter sports clothes for cycling, running and cross country skiing. A base layer shirt is a base layer shirt. Similarly my gloves, sports socks, sports hats, outer jacket and fleece sweaters are performing the same basic function for any of these sports. I have gloves, hats and shirts of various thicknesses that I wear in different combinations to match the weather. However, most of my gear would be overkill for Atlanta.

I can see more reason to have different tights or shorts for various sports but in my case I have winter sports pants that are good for running, cycling and XC skiing.

Cycling requires extra layers in comparison with XC skiing and running - particularly for feet and hands due to more wind from the faster speed and lack of upper body movement.
Don

Yes, seriously. As my statement said INITIALLY it is an issue. Eyes start to water and it takes a few minutes to adjust.
2013-12-16 2:44 PM

User image

Long running tights are a must. You can wear them under a pair of bibs on the bike as well. A good shell jacket will work for both running and cycling as well. Can modify the layers you wear under it depending on the temps.
2013-12-17 7:14 AM
in reply to: travis_lt

User image

Expert
Falls Church

I thought I would offer my two cents since I commute by bike year round.  Temps can get into the teens in the mornings.  

I am a big fan of shopping the local thrift stores for athletic gear.  I've scored nearly new Pearl Izumi, Under Armour, Terry (women's cycling brand), Mountain Hardwear, Patagonia, REI, and other high quality brands for about 1/5 of the  original cost.  And there is nothing quite like finding a nice merino wool sweater for $5.

My list of winter riding essentials:

• Lobster gloves w/ liner
  • Neoprene shoe covers
  • Base layer
  • Good wind breaking jacket - a bit heavier that a running jacket
  • Mid-layers consisting of technical clothing and/or merino wool sweaters from local thrift shops
  • Winter tights (also purchased from local thrift shops)
  • Wool socks and on very cold mornings thin stockings (women's knee-high type)
  • Beanie or balaclava (this is essential to me in temps below 35F)

I like the wool for my riding since there are a few points where I have to wait for some long lights and I can cool down significantly.  I warm right back up with my wool layers.  Prior to discovering this, I would get a chill from damp layers that I couldn't warm up from and be pretty frozen by the time I got home.

My list of winter running essentials

• Beanie
  • Winter tights
  • Base layer
  • Mid-weight vest
  • Lightweight running jacket w/ pockets to put gloves in when I warm up
  • Lightweight gloves
2013-12-17 10:22 AM

User image

Pro

this is a nice cycling jacket for a killer deal

http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=494626&posts=22&page=1

I use it for cold weather running as well.  

2013-12-17 10:46 AM
in reply to: morey000

User image

Sensei
Sin City

It's hard for me to really contribute since it doesn't get that cold around here, but I have ridden in the snow and below 30's up at Mt. Charleston.  I don't have any extreme cold weather gear since it's not needed but I believe in layers.

For running, I have a light pair of fleece gloves and hat/beanie.  Some long sleeve lululemon running shirts and pants.  I also have some target long fleece pants and fleece hoodies.  I have no "issue" running in basically sweats (but prefer fleece/poly - no cotton).  If it gets really cold, I have a nylon shell.  I just put on layers as needed plus I can take them off if I get hot.

For riding, I have some decent gloves and beanie for under my helmet (cold fingers and torso bother me most and can ruin a ride).  I have knee warmers and arm warmers that I use in conjunction with my normal jerseys.  I have a couple lighter jackets and a nylon vest/shell.  I never needed tights and don't mind having exposed legs (knee warmers if it get's really cold).  Again, more layers let's me pull them off as needed.  Getting wet/sweaty on cold days is the worse so I try to always stay a LITTLE on the cold side.  I never want to get too warm and sweat through my clothes.

2013-12-17 12:15 PM
in reply to: hessma

I know it doesn't help you now but buy the stuff in the spring. I have 4 pairs of running tights that I purchased a few springs ago, I paid $5 per pair.
2013-12-17 12:20 PM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
Everyone is different, so I'll share some of what works for me.

Running:
Above 40F, I usually wear shorts and a t-shirt. Near 40F, I might add stretch-knit gloves.
30-40F. Long sleeve wicking t-shirt, tights or wind pants, stretch knit gloves. (I can still wear shorts in the upper 30's.)
20-30F, t-shirt with soft-shell jacket. mid-weight tights, stretch knit gloves, running hat (ball cap)
10-20F, warmer gloves, beanie or headband, maybe a nylon shell jacket.
0-10F, beanie, running gloves, base layer plus outer layer.

This may go up/down based on wind, sun, precipitation, and the length of my run. I'll wear slightly warmer gear on long runs when I'm going at an easier pace.

I don't cycle in particularly cold weather, but the biggest difference is accounting for the wind. I do have warmer gloves, knee warmers, arm warmers, and toe covers for cycling. I don't have a good solution for keeping my face and head warm. Biggest reason I don't have more cold-weather cycling gear is because I don't trust drivers enough to ride when they aren't expecting me on a bicycle.

If you're trying to conserve cash, hit Target, Walmart, Marshall's/TJMaxx. Get a couple long-sleeve shirts, a soft-shell jacket, and a pair of wind pants. I'm still wearing the orange stretch-knit gloves that were 2 pairs for $1 about 5 years ago. You can do all of this for about $100. Then...browse the clearance racks in the spring for the closeouts of winter gear. Yes, you can go to the running store and drop $75 (plus) on a pair of running tights, but you don't have to. I don't worry that my gear says "Starter" or "C9" instead of "Nike" because it still covers me up. It took me several years to amass the gear that I have, and my plan is to replce it over time.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Cycling and Running winter gear essentials? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

What is your essential winter training gear? Pages: 1 2

Started by dprocket
Views: 1472 Posts: 26

2012-10-24 12:57 PM soretaint

Essential Gear

Started by SeaDogAther
Views: 797 Posts: 10

2012-03-06 12:36 PM jasonatkins

Winter running traction gear

Started by mbasta
Views: 1220 Posts: 6

2010-10-22 4:10 PM chenny

Winter riding gear - what do you use?

Started by cobannero
Views: 886 Posts: 10

2009-12-01 6:42 AM kaburns1214

So I just got my winter running gear

Started by bradword
Views: 1432 Posts: 15

2005-11-21 10:03 AM bradword
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 22, 2011
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 0
Lack of food and fluids can take the fun out of your outdoor activities. These tips can help you fuel wisely for cold weather workouts.

date : December 1, 2011
author : alicefoeller
Triathletes weigh in on making the most of winter training
date : July 29, 2011
comments : 3
Third in a series of three articles about the basics, the niceties and the luxuries

date : June 29, 2011
comments : 4
Second in a series of three articles about the basics, the niceties and the luxuries
date : April 12, 2011
author : FitWerx
How should I be shifting gears on the front chainring and the rear cogs to cope with hills?

date : January 27, 2011
author : Mark Sunderland
The no-excuses guide to riding outdoors in snow, wind, ice and darkness. Bring it on!
date : December 17, 2007
author : AMSSM
Learn how to choose appropriate gear for warmth and safety. With proper clothing and exercise adjustments, you can enjoy a season of safe, effective and fun training!

date : February 13, 2007
author : trixie
comments : 1
Can't run outside in the snow? Think again. I flew up the first hill with surprising ease and power. The Yaktrax gripped into the ice like racing spikes on a rubber track. Sweeeeet.