General Discussion Triathlon Talk » FTP Test? How To Measure Improvement With Heart Rate? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-12-17 8:43 PM

User image

Denver, Colorado
Subject: FTP Test? How To Measure Improvement With Heart Rate?
Hi all,

I have the Sufferfest "Rubber Glove" FTP test. I performed the test a month ago. I have since bought a new bike, Fuji Altamira 2.0! And am ready to test again. I only use a heart rate monitor though and do not have a power meter. My previous test showed a HR of 143BPM In terms of improving fitness:

1) Do I want my heart rate to increase or decrease?

Note that I had very little bike fitness previously (and it still is bounds behind my running). My muscles are extremely sore before my heart rate can elevate to number near my running HR, my leg strength has drastically increased over the last few months though.

-Does an increasing heart rate imply I can "work harder" without tiring or that I am WORKING HARDER and tiring faster. Thanks for answering and helping out a bike/tech/tri newbie Cheers,

2013-12-17 10:11 PM
in reply to: #4914833

User image

Veteran
Cloverdale, BC
Subject: RE: FTP Test? How To Measure Improvement With Heart Rate?
Your threshold heart rate should increase as you gain bike fitness. Your legs can work harder and produce more power, so your heart has to pump more blood to keep up.
2013-12-18 4:37 AM
in reply to: 1st Time 70.3!

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
Generally you will see your HR increase from an early test to the next. Part of this will be that due to training you are able to do the test at a higher intensity and part of it is due to the fact that you will get better at testing.

However, after a few tests you'll likely not see much change in your HR from test to test but what you should find is that you are able to generate more power (or higher speed on your trainer) for the same HR.

Shane
2013-12-18 9:11 AM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

As Shane notes, you'll want another metric to track performance--HR is only good as a reference for relative intensity, not for tracking performance gains.  If you don't have power, use speed.  Especially if you are doing this pon a trainer, the speed should be reasonably consistent (and, therefore, correlate well with the power being produced) as long as you take some care to set up the tension, tire pressure, etc. the same way each time.  If you test outdoors, you want to use the same course and have conditions be as similar as possible to get a good benchmark from speed.

2013-12-18 10:28 AM

User image

As others have said heart rate is far too variable a factor to use to trace progress for something like ftp. Since you don't have a powermeter speed on a course you can repeat over and over in similar conditions is a good option. Another excellent option if you use a trainer is TrainerRoad. It can give you virtual power for your rides which while not as accurate as a powermeter is still consistent and will allow you to track progress over time.
2013-12-18 11:09 AM
in reply to: travis_lt

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by travis_lt As others have said heart rate is far too variable a factor to use to trace progress for something like ftp. Since you don't have a powermeter speed on a course you can repeat over and over in similar conditions is a good option. Another excellent option if you use a trainer is TrainerRoad. It can give you virtual power for your rides which while not as accurate as a powermeter is still consistent and will allow you to track progress over time.

Per the first sentence, what they actually said was that HR doesn't quite measure the right thing to determine progress. It's for helping to monitor effort level within workouts and working at appropriate levels will lead to progress. Another metric is needed to determine said progress. The difference might not seem significant at first, but one can become substantially faster with little change in HR values.

2013-12-18 11:26 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Excellent synopsis of what has been said in this thread.
2013-12-18 10:17 PM
in reply to: ultramike

User image

Denver, Colorado
Thanks guys, great information here.

I'll definitely keep recoding other metrics as well as HR until I get my hands on a power meter. On a qualitative note my cycling is improving drastically! FTP also increased 10 BPM but I'm on a new bike, and the 1st test I didn't go all out so I'm calling today's result a baseline, square 1.

Cheers,
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » FTP Test? How To Measure Improvement With Heart Rate? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

measured max heart rate vs calculated one

Started by m4rtin
Views: 1557 Posts: 8

2013-06-24 7:32 PM Jason N

LT Heart Rate Improvement

Started by Carl Carlson
Views: 1105 Posts: 15

2006-12-13 2:39 PM lawyerchick

Need some clarification regarding Heart Rate testing

Started by Jeter2
Views: 820 Posts: 4

2006-01-20 12:08 PM amiine

Heart Rate testing question( s)

Started by huengsolo
Views: 755 Posts: 3

2006-01-01 11:04 PM hpadkisson

Heart rate test questions.

Started by egent
Views: 941 Posts: 9

2005-05-31 2:40 PM Joe M
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 14, 2010
author : Coach AJ
comments : 2
In this second part, AJ will show you how your training pace and heart rate training zones are setup from the results of your lactate threshold test.

date : March 4, 2010
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
Have you been thinking about getting a lab test done to determine your Lactate Threshold number for generating precise heart-rate zones? Follow AJ as he subjects himself to this grueling test.
date : January 20, 2009
author : jasongootman
In this second part, we discuss indoor, outdoor and ramp functional threshold tests to determine your power training zones. Presented by Tri-Hard coaching and Fit Werx.

date : January 16, 2008
author : CPT
Colorado Premier Training runs Aaron through a stepwise power test on a Velotron to collect baseline data for future position changes.
date : June 4, 2006
author : mikericci
Field tests for determining your heart-rate zones with lactate threshold testing.

date : November 29, 2004
author : chrisandniki
comments : 1
So for the triathlete, where do you begin? Which model is best? Here are some features to consider before looking at specific models.
date : August 30, 2004
author : sherrick
Becoming a Better Animal: How to Effectively Use Your Heart Rate Monitor.

date : August 30, 2004
author : sherrick
comments : 1
Becoming a Better Animal: How to Effectively Use Your Heart Rate Monitor.