BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Triguys Tri Team (all levels welcome) - CLOSED SORRY Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 8

2013-12-27 7:14 AM
in reply to: runningmon

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
Subject: RE: Triguys Tri Team (all levels welcome) - OPEN

Nothing like a snowmobile crash to put a damper on the Holiday!  Paul and I went out for our first ride of the season yesterday in pristine conditions.  We were snaking through the Northwoods and hit what we thought was land and turned out to be nothing but snow covering a deep ravine.  I flew five feet down it into a pile of thick brush and he held on to the sled and smacked into a tree.  The force of the crash was sent entirely up his left arm.  He knew immediately he broke it.  I got up as fast as I could (not easy when you're flat on your back and are wearing enough gear to look like a Michelin man) and scrambled up the hill to get help.  When I saw his arm, I knew he was in trouble.  No compound fracture, but bones were sticking out both sides of his arm in a very weird way.  The day ended in an ambulance ride to ER, traction for several hours and eventually having a surgeon relocate the radius and something else at his wrist.  They put this temporary cast on it and he'll need surgery to repair it back in Madison.

The snowmobile was dragged out of the ravine late last night and appears to have pretty extensive damage.  I couldn't care less about that part, but of course Paul does!  

PS.  My right shoulder hurts like the devil having taken the brunt of the fall on that body part.  I guess it means any swim progress will need to hold off for a few days.  Oh well.

2013-12-27 9:41 AM
in reply to: SSMinnow

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rome, NY
Originally posted by SSMinnow

Nothing like a snowmobile crash to put a damper on the Holiday!  Paul and I went out for our first ride of the season yesterday in pristine conditions.  We were snaking through the Northwoods and hit what we thought was land and turned out to be nothing but snow covering a deep ravine.  I flew five feet down it into a pile of thick brush and he held on to the sled and smacked into a tree.  The force of the crash was sent entirely up his left arm.  He knew immediately he broke it.  I got up as fast as I could (not easy when you're flat on your back and are wearing enough gear to look like a Michelin man) and scrambled up the hill to get help.  When I saw his arm, I knew he was in trouble.  No compound fracture, but bones were sticking out both sides of his arm in a very weird way.  The day ended in an ambulance ride to ER, traction for several hours and eventually having a surgeon relocate the radius and something else at his wrist.  They put this temporary cast on it and he'll need surgery to repair it back in Madison.

The snowmobile was dragged out of the ravine late last night and appears to have pretty extensive damage.  I couldn't care less about that part, but of course Paul does!  

PS.  My right shoulder hurts like the devil having taken the brunt of the fall on that body part.  I guess it means any swim progress will need to hold off for a few days.  Oh well.

Glad it was not worse. Rest up and don't push too hard there is plenty of time before serious training needs to take place
2013-12-27 5:49 PM
in reply to: #4915057

Subject: RE: Triguys Tri Team (all levels welcome) - CLOSED SORRY
Sorry to hear that Suzy. Keep doing range of motion exercises and stretches so it heals faster and stronger. Hopefully you both will be back to 100% sooner rather than later.
2013-12-28 3:52 AM

User image

, Lisboa
Ouch Hope you have a quick and nice recover.
2013-12-28 1:38 PM
in reply to: lsousa

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rome, NY
Hope everyone is doing well today!!

Pretty quite in here!

Hope you can all hang in there till after the new year when we can go full bore!!
2013-12-28 3:04 PM
in reply to: budlizard

User image

, Lisboa
Hi all,

So today was my first 10K race after upping my running mileage to 25mpw since last September, my previous PR was 43:58 but I was confident I could do sub 42 today, maybe even better.

With 8000 participants, I knew I had to start quick to avoid the slower racers on the narrower streets, and I did exactly that with a 4:00min split on the 1st km, I kept going hard, with 19:39min on the 5km mark, I was feeling tired, but I though I could handle that pace, I was aiming for a sub40 by that time, and then, about 100m before the 8km mark I had a MASSIVE abdominal cramp, right in the upper center of my ab, I never had that before, and I couldn't keep the pace no more, I even had to run/walk until the 9km mark were I run trough the pain and gave everything I could manage, ending with a 3:55min split, final time was 42:55. Although I set a new PR, I know I can go even faster and I'm not as happy as I would like about this race.

I had a side stitch on my left abdomen since km3, but then it hit me really hard on the center ab. I'm not sure what was the cause, maybe it was because the road was slippery since it was raining and I had to use my abs more than normal, or because I was breathing really hard. Anyway, there are more races to run and I will have more opportunities to break sub 40min. Actually, I'm having two more races in the next week, one on Wednesday that I'll threat as training ans won't go all in, and another one on my home town next Saturday that I'll try to PR again, not necessarily sub40, but I will aim to sub42.

Hope you all had a great week!
Cheers, Luís

2013-12-29 8:40 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rome, NY
Great run

New PR is fun lots of potential to still grab on to keep up the great work!!

Edited by triguy1043 2013-12-29 8:41 AM
2013-12-29 1:20 PM
in reply to: triguy1043

Went to the pool to try out the new and improved shoulder after four months of PT. Ugg-- new and improved feels an awful lot like old and lame. Only made it 250 yds. Going to be a long road back, I think.
2013-12-29 4:05 PM

User image

, Lisboa
Yeah, it's nice to see that the time spent on the road increasing mileage and doing some speedwork is paying off. Although, after my stomach cramp I may start to do some core work, even if it's unrelated to the cramp, but I guess that a strong core is always helpful.

@runningmon, I don't think that 250 yards after 4 months without swimming is that bad, keep it up.
2013-12-29 5:55 PM

Luis,

grats on the PR. Always a good feeling. Keep up the momentum! Let us know how you did in your next race

I'm hoping to break 1hr by summer time for 10k haha

2013-12-29 7:05 PM

User image

Originally posted by triguy1043

So the question is where is everyone in their training?

Off season to preseason. Swim every day. Yes, every single day except Christmas! Set up new pr today - 1000 yards in 17:38. My goal for the next season to be MOP swimmer. Run 3 days a week 6-8 miles plus one "long" 10-12 miles run. No bike since october. Gonna start it again in January.

Suzy, hope you will get better soon!

Luís, congrats on your PR!

2013-12-29 8:46 PM
in reply to: KatiaRun

User image

Champion

Originally posted by KatiaRun
Originally posted by triguy1043 So the question is where is everyone in their training?
Off season to preseason. Swim every day. Yes, every single day except Christmas! Set up new pr today - 1000 yards in 17:38. My goal for the next season to be MOP swimmer. Run 3 days a week 6-8 miles plus one "long" 10-12 miles run. No bike since october. Gonna start it again in January. Suzy, hope you will get better soon! Luís, congrats on your PR!

LOVE IT!  I've also set a swim goal to keep myself on track this year.  Let's keep each other honest as things get tough!

I am feeling much better.  I wish Paul was too.  We're off to  get a CT of his wrist and see his ortho tomorrow.  Pretty sure there is a surgery in his future.

Only two more workout days in the year.  What will everyone be doing to close out 2013?

2013-12-29 8:48 PM

User image

Champion

Originally posted by lsousa Hi all, So today was my first 10K race after upping my running mileage to 25mpw since last September, my previous PR was 43:58 but I was confident I could do sub 42 today, maybe even better. With 8000 participants, I knew I had to start quick to avoid the slower racers on the narrower streets, and I did exactly that with a 4:00min split on the 1st km, I kept going hard, with 19:39min on the 5km mark, I was feeling tired, but I though I could handle that pace, I was aiming for a sub40 by that time, and then, about 100m before the 8km mark I had a MASSIVE abdominal cramp, right in the upper center of my ab, I never had that before, and I couldn't keep the pace no more, I even had to run/walk until the 9km mark were I run trough the pain and gave everything I could manage, ending with a 3:55min split, final time was 42:55. Although I set a new PR, I know I can go even faster and I'm not as happy as I would like about this race. I had a side stitch on my left abdomen since km3, but then it hit me really hard on the center ab. I'm not sure what was the cause, maybe it was because the road was slippery since it was raining and I had to use my abs more than normal, or because I was breathing really hard. Anyway, there are more races to run and I will have more opportunities to break sub 40min. Actually, I'm having two more races in the next week, one on Wednesday that I'll threat as training ans won't go all in, and another one on my home town next Saturday that I'll try to PR again, not necessarily sub40, but I will aim to sub42. Hope you all had a great week! Cheers, Luís

WOW.  I think a 42:XX is awesome.  Look forward to seeing your 41:XX soon.

2013-12-30 1:33 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rome, NY
Glad everyone is doing well
I just finished up a 5 mile treadmill run
There's a Arctic blast in central NY and everything is ice

SS. Glad your feeling better

Question of the day
What running shoes does everyone wear?

Brooks Ravenna
Kswiss. Blades
Ascics Tri noosa
2013-12-30 5:40 PM

User image

Champion

I am currently wearing Saucony Cortana 2s.  I LOVE them.  They have a 4mm drop and are fairly neutral, but are not as minimal as the Kinvaras or others.  They are also quite wide in the toe box which is great for me. Only issue is they completely changed the Cortana 3s and I can't wear them.  They are way too narrow.  Saucony suggests sizing up, but that's nuts.  Your push off point is different.  I am completely stumped where to turn next.  I've tried several options and found ziltch.  Would be interested to hear what others are wearing.  In the meantime, I bought up four pair of the Cortana 2s while I ponder!

2013-12-30 7:12 PM

User image

, Lisboa
Mike, 2 years ago my 1k time was about 55 mins, and by then I never though I could do below 45mins, just keep going

Suzy. it's nice to see that you are recovering.

About shows, I'm currently wearing Adidas Stability 5, and these are my first "real" running shoes, I did a gait analysis last summer and found out I mild overpronate. Before that I kept buying some cheap neutral running shoes, luckily I've never had injured because of them.

However, I'm now looking for lighter shoes (even my cheap neutral shoes were lighter than these adidas), and I would love to try the Adidas Adistar Boost and the Mizuno Sayonara to see if they fit me well.

2013-12-31 2:08 PM

User image

, Lisboa
Happy new year everyone, wish you a wonderful and injury free 2014
2013-12-31 3:43 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rome, NY
Nice 9 mile run to close out 2013

117 miles of running foe Dec. that's a good month for me
2014-01-01 9:08 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rome, NY
Happy New Year!!

What's your first. 2014 workout look like!

What were your Dec totals
2014-01-01 11:01 AM

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by triguy1043

Happy New Year!!

What's your first. 2014 workout look like!

What were your Dec totals

First run outside in a long time this morning. Easy 36 minutes around the neighborhood. I don't know why, but I have been a little reluctant to run outside. Don't know why - even when its cold I know I will warm up and be good to go in only a few minutes. I think I just have to push myself out the door in the morning.

December saw 101 miles. pretty good for me, but I would like to work that up to 130/month which should happen with a little more consistency in my schedule.

Enjoy the new year everyone!
2014-01-01 1:29 PM

Happy New Years, everyone! Going to be an awesome year for all of us

As for shoes, I'm wearing Brooks GTS 13. The 11's and 12's lasted me a while and treated my feet well.

2014-01-01 1:49 PM
in reply to: bwingate

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rome, NY
That's a great month of training !!

Running outside is awesome yesterday I did 9 miles and it was about 10 degrees outside I loved it!!
2014-01-01 1:50 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rome, NY
Originally posted by budlizard

Happy New Years, everyone! Going to be an awesome year for all of us

As for shoes, I'm wearing Brooks GTS 13. The 11's and 12's lasted me a while and treated my feet well.

How do you like the GTS ?

I am in the Ravenna. I like them and want to try some other brooks as well
2014-01-01 2:10 PM

User image

Happy New Year!!! 13.1 miles run for me today followed by an easy 1 hour spin on my trainer (first one since september).

About shoes - I am a minimalistic girl. Brooks Pure Flow and Connect, Kinvara, Mizuno Musha. I want to try Adidas Energy Boost but don't want to pay $150
2014-01-01 2:23 PM
in reply to: KatiaRun

User image

Champion

Been doing HIITS for both the bike and run so happy with my December.  Legs have felt remarkably strong lately.

Run: 137m

Bike 244m

Swim 8 hours

TRX   6 hours 

Today was a bike HIITS effort.  Was supposed to hit the pool, but nursing duty called instead.  Tomorrow!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Triguys Tri Team (all levels welcome) - CLOSED SORRY Rss Feed  

of 8

RELATED POSTS

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.

date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips
date : November 9, 2010
author : lithelola
comments : 5
A bumbling non-athlete makes her determined way to the Nation's Triathlon finish line!

date : October 2, 2007
author : docgill
Is it possible for loners to work in a small group and still have plenty of time on their own? Training in small groups can give many benefits.
date : February 8, 2007
author : MegL
comments : 25
No one likes to look like a fool, but it’s hard not to when you don’t know what you’re doing as a beginner, so if it helps, go ahead and pretend.

date : January 24, 2005
author : Team BT
Shanna Armstrong’s Journal Entry January 21, 2005 - The Race Across America
date : January 10, 2005
author : trithis
Club or group workouts are very motivating and soon you’ll start feeling like a triathlete, making you less likely to flake out.

date : September 5, 2004
author : Team BT
Her IM time of 13 hours and 44 minutes at the Great Floridan allowed her to compete for the USA Triathlon Team in Ibiza, Spain in 2003.