BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guys/Girls Masters Focus Triathlete Forum (all levels welcome)--CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 44

2014-05-05 10:28 AM
in reply to: QueenZipp

User image

Regular
East Wenatchee, Washington
Subject: RE: It's Friday!!!
Originally posted by QueenZipp

Originally posted by JREDFLY Hey, I hope Scott had a good half marathon. I know he was working very hard on his run. Good luck today Judi! James

Thanks James!

Had a decent race.  Second place in the AG.  About a 6 min improvement in my time from last year on the course.  No official splits yet....not sure if I will be able to get any.  

Who needs race splits? All you need to know is you were #2 in your AG with a solid year over year improvement. Nice!

Congrats!

2014-05-05 11:32 AM
in reply to: lutzman

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, Virginia
Congrats Judi - anytime we improve from previous year, that's cause for celebration - and 6 mins... woah!

Was hoping we'd hear from Scott by now...

Well, I was all psyched about being able to post some good numbers this week, but I screwed up my 3 lb weight loss yesterday after a good bike ride. Met friends at the brewery and, well, let's just say I re-hydrated :-) and like, Steve, overate a bit too. Oh well, still an okay week, and I generally feel much better after 6 out of 7 days eating well, and exercising every day. Those weeks have been hard to come by in 2014.

No weight change = 5 points
Training = 14 points
Total = 19 points

Off on another seminar week - in LA . Might be time for a couple of runs since I'll probably be awake at 3am anyway :-)

Have a great week everyone!
STu
2014-05-05 2:05 PM
in reply to: juneapple

User image

Expert
Missouri

no weight change - 5pts
288 minutes workout - 9.6 pts

total of 14.6 pts for the week

I signed up to do a biathlon in June in place of the triathlon I was considering.  The bike and run distances are about the same (4 mi run/20 mi bike compared to 21 mi bike/4.4 mi run).  Only difference is no swimming - which is OK with me since I haven't been anywhere near a pool in 7 months  - and the run comes first.  I need to start upping my run training though - my regular 2-3 mile runs aren't going to be enough.

Judi - congrats on your race!

2014-05-05 4:05 PM
in reply to: soccermom15

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member
Subject: Finally!

Hi all!  Sitting here in a hotel in Springfield, Missouri and finally have a couple minutes to put up a quick post.

I will start with the readers digest version.  I finished the half-marathon, I wasn't first and there were several thousand people behind me.  I was happy with that!

Now the long winded version if you care to take the time -

When we left CA on Friday the 26th our intent was to go through San Antonio, TX (plan was to play on the Riverwalk for a little bit), then go on to New Orleans, up through Alabama (visit Taladega Speedway) then up to Nashville and on to Indianapolis.  Unfortunately when we got to Las Crusas, NM two things happened.  1) The Weather Channel started talking about severe weather along our planned route, I mean SERIOUSLY talking about severe weather.  When they started saying 80% chance of tornadoes in front of us that got our attention. 2)  and perhaps more importantly for the race, I started getting a sore throat.  We decided to divert north and go through Albuquerque then east along I-40 to miss the weather (fat lotta good that did because as we checked in to the hotel in St. Louis a tornado warning was issued - we watched it go by about 5 miles north of us).  I had been planning to do an easy run every other day as we went across the country - note to self; it is highly unlikely you will run when you are dodging weather and your spouse is terrified.  I did get a run in while we were stopped in Tulsa, OK, however, two rather large dogs jumped a fence as I came by and quickly convinced me that perhaps it wasn't so wise to run in an unfamiliar area.  By then my cold was well beyond a sore throat.  Pretty much any physical activity and I started coughing.  Great - just a few days before the mini!  We got in to southern Indiana a couple days early because of our changed plans which was wonderful because we got to spend a great deal of quality time with family.

We drove up to Indianapolis and checked in to the hotel around noon on Friday.  We chose the hotel we did because my corral lined up literally outside the front door of the hotel.  We went over to the Mini-Marathon Expo Friday afternoon so I could pick up my packet and my other half could patronize I believe ALL of the vendors!  I was feeling pretty crappy (sorry but thought you needed the proper imagery).  At the expo information booth I asked about downgrading to the 5K instead of the Mini and was told I could do that if I wanted, just had to line up in the 5K corral in the morning.  I talked to my running coach that afternoon and he suggested perhaps not running at all if I didn't think I could put forth a full effort.  All well and good except I had just driven 2,500 miles and dodged tornadoes all the way across the country as I did it.  I was doing a race if I had to crawl.  Friday night we had dinner at Buca di Beppo - if you have never heard of it they serve incredible Italian food and LOTS of it.  I think just about everyone entered in the race had the same idea, although we had reservations so it wasn't too bad.  Sadly I had zero appetite but forced down some spaghetti and meatballs.

Saturday morning I woke up and looked out the window down to the street at the excitement that was building around the starting line.  I still didn't feel very well but the excitement was contagious and I decided I was going to attempt the mini.  I entered the race so I could run around Indianapolis Motor Speedway and that is precisely what I intended to do.  There are no words to describe starting a race with 35,000 of your closest friends!  Beyond the barricades people were lined up 10 deep on both sides of the street and screaming at the top of their lungs!  There were at least a half-dozen news helicopters hovering overhead as they broadcast the start live throughout Indiana and the surrounding area.  There was a crescendo of noise like I have never heard before. I have competed in some pretty big races in my life and nothing really compared to the start of this race.  Of course I got caught up in the moment and I rather foolishly began running - WAY too fast - which lasted about 200 yards before I started coughing.  For more than a couple minutes I thought I might be done right then and there.  I finally got the coughing under control and figured if I had any hope at all of seeing the speedway, let alone the finish, I better think more along the lines of 'back of pack' then run.  No shame as I walked pretty much the entire distance.  And I had a blast!  There were all sorts of performers every few hundred yards for the entire distance - ranging from high school bands, to cheerleaders, to girl scout troupes dressed as various cartoon figures cheering everyone on, to wounded warriors offering encouragement.  The outbound and inbound courses ran side-by side at mile 1.5-2 and when I got there, the leaders were already on their way back (they were at mile 11.5-12).  The winner finished in 1:01 and some change.  My only though was, "Really?"  I got to about mile 5 and saw the speedway in the distance.  I told myself it was time to 'suck it up buttercup' and tried running again.  Yeah, OK, so I am a slow learner.  I will say, you have no idea how big the speedway is until you actually get to see the track from ground level.  Funny though how that 2.5 miles seemed to just fly by!  It was absolutely crazy at the yard of bricks as everyone clamored to get the best picture at that iconic location.  I got my picture at the yard of bricks (the start/finish line of the speedway) which was really the point of the entire race in my mind.  It was rather anti-climatic as I exited the speedway and the thought occurred to me, 'now I just have a really long ways to get back to the finish.'  From mile 11-12 I was really having a hard time and discovered that breathing is kind of a necessity.  I had a couple thoughts of hanging it up and just told myself, "if you can't handle this little distance, sick or not, you will NEVER be able to do a full Iron.  That thought got me through mile 12.  Then we rounded the corner on New York Street which goes to the finish.  At that point, I knew I had less than a mile and figured I would literally crawl if I had to - I am happy to report I finished on my feet.

The race was incredibly well organized.  There had to be thousands of volunteers and they all knew exactly what they were suppose to be doing.  I don't think there is anything the race promoters could have done differently to make things better.  They have done this race so many times, they have it down to a science.

The only thing I would change is to not get sick before the race.  I suppose it is open to debate whether or not I should have competed.  I wanted the picture at the yard of bricks and I wanted the finisher medal.  The only way was to suck it up and go do the race.  I already have entered next years race so I will have another chance - and next year I will be running over the bricks, not stopping for pictures.  I learned quite a lot from this experience.  While driving out and combining vacation with the race seemed like a good idea at the time, I am not so sure that is the best way to approach a race weekend.  It seemed like the race was always secondary to all the other things going on and then through in severe weather pretty much all the way across the country and the race was never really the priority it needed to be.  I am not sure that flying is the answer either as then you have the time change to deal with.  I will have to give some thought to how to handle it next year.

All in all, I had a great time.  I looked at the results and saw that some 10,000 people finished behind me.  I never expected to win, so just crossing the finish line was a victory in my book, especially when I remember that slightly more than a year ago, running 100 yards was nearly impossible.

(1613828_727896103899506_6267416323660503297_n.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
1613828_727896103899506_6267416323660503297_n.jpg (56KB - 8 downloads)
2014-05-05 4:11 PM
in reply to: wsummerhill

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member
Subject: RE: Challenge Update

Originally posted by wsummerhill Wow was that ugly! The last 4 miles I swore I was never ever going to do another marathon!

I started out too fast and by 19 miles my legs were killing me. I know better! I salvaged a 3:25 and still had a wonderful time. The crowds were amazing. Several times I teared up from the overwhelming support the city of Boston showed. Truly a wonderful experience!

Oh, and I changed my mind. There will be more marathons. Next year redemption will be sweet at Boston! Have a terrific week everyone!

Congrats Wendy!  Sorry it took so long!  Certainly there was more emotion in Boston, but I understand how the crowd support makes for an incredible experience.

2014-05-05 4:12 PM
in reply to: JREDFLY

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

James I will get you updated challenge totals when I get back to CA later this week.

2014-05-05 4:34 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

No PR, but a good run for me.  Had fun at the 10K

Good job Judi!  Sorry I didn't say it sooner.

Couple more days!  Thanks for being patient.

2014-05-05 4:36 PM
in reply to: Kris67

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member
Subject: RE: first sprint race report

Originally posted by Kris67 Woke up at 5:30 so that we could get to the transition area, get body marked and put our supplies by our bike before it closed at 6:45. Then we had a two hour wait before our wave of the sprint occurred, as the Olympic tri started. Plenty of time for three bathroom (port a potty) breaks. The water temperature was 76°, slightly breezy with a mild wave. My novice group was the last wave of the sprint to start. The water felt good, but cloudy, still I felt strong. Managed to swim with a combination of freestyle, breaststroke, and backstroke bringing my arms out of the water like you do in freestyle. I was actually surprised how quickly I could swim doing the backstroke as I passed people in my wave and in other groups that started before us. There were people hanging on the buoys to catch their breath, but I just kept swimming. According to my watch I got out of the water at 20 minutes but my official time was 22 minutes followed by about a four minute jog to the transition area in order to put on my shoes and get my bike. I ended up riding my fat tire bike and was passed by everyone with the skinny tires. There were not any mile markers during the bike ride, so that was a little frustrating and at one point I asked a fellow biker passing me how far along we had gone. Towards the end of the ride, one of the cyclist passing me told me that she completed her first two triathlons on a bike just like mine. Transition from the bike to the run was quicker. My husband had come along for support and ended up taking some pictures and video and cheering me on which was nice. The run was hard and hot and the first 2 miles I ran with some short walk breaks. I was closely watching my clock because I really wanted to beat that two hour mark, and that helped me keep my Running going to last mile without any walk breaks. A few spectators had water hoses they were spraying the runners with, which definitely helped me get cool and continue to keep going. The last half-mile I ended up passing my 16 year old daughter,who had been ahead of me the first two legs of the race. I ended up finishing in one hour and 59 minutes with my daughter coming in a minute after me. I met my goal, had fun and will probably do it again, maybe later this year.

Congratulations Kris!  Sorry I didn't say it sooner.  Welcome to the world of triathlon!

2014-05-05 4:40 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by soccermom15

I did a duathlon on Sunday.  My 3rd year doing it and the first year we've had decent weather - no rain and not freezing cold.  I beat my time from last year by almost 1.5 minutes - ride was better this year but my runs (especially the 2nd one) weren't so good.  Don't know if it was the rising temps, the wind on the ride, or just a lack of good run training lately, but the second run was tough.  I love the race though and will probably do it every year they have it. 

A duathlon?  You mean you ran twice?  On purpose?  Greater athlete than me!  Congratulations!

2014-05-05 4:42 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Scott - good luck this weekend!  I'm considering that HM for next year.

I am doing it again next year!  Even though I walked it this year, it was a blast.  Maybe we can start together!

2014-05-05 4:47 PM
in reply to: k9car363

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member
Subject: RE: first sprint race report

Well call me silly.  Sorry about a couple of double congratulatory posts.  Been so long since I looked at the forum I forgot what I had posted (does that show my age or what?)

Well not really so sorry.  Kris and Wendy you certainly deserve it.  Well done!

2014-05-05 8:48 PM

User image

New user
Hingham, MA
Subject: RE: Finally!
Originally posted by k9car363

Hi all!  Sitting here in a hotel in Springfield, Missouri and finally have a couple minutes to put up a quick post.

I will start with the readers digest version.  I finished the half-marathon, I wasn't first and there were several thousand people behind me.  I was happy with that!

/p>

All in all, I had a great time.  I looked at the results and saw that some 10,000 people finished behind me.  I never expected to win, so just crossing the finish line was a victory in my book, especially when I remember that slightly more than a year ago, running 100 yards was nearly impossible.

Great job Scott!!! Sorry you got sick right before, that really stinks after driving all that way. I think it is very cool that you walked it, sounds like it was a great time. Sometimes we get so caught up with our performance that we forget to look around and enjoy the moment. CONGRATULATIONS!!! "
2014-05-05 10:09 PM

User image

Regular

Hi all!  I am not sure that flying is the answer either as then you have the time change to deal with.  I will have to give some thought to how to handle it next year.

Great race report, Scott. Congratulations on your finish. You experienced all the familiar emotions I've known many times as well...from heady anticipation at the start, physical difficulty, self-doubt, and finally the tough resolve of knowing you simply won't be defeated by the distance to the finish line. For a guy who could hardly run a year or so ago this is a terrific accomplishment! I hope you're inspired for many more races to come.

Thank you for sharing! It's inspirational to read.

Best,

Steve
2014-05-06 5:53 AM

User image

Dublin, Ohio
Way to go Scott! Even though you didn' t feel well I admire you being able to make it a positive experience! Next year is redemption year for both of us in our races!
2014-05-06 3:50 PM
in reply to: wsummerhill

User image

New user
Hingham, MA
Subject: Chemical in Powerade
Did you see this. Chemical used in Powerade is a known flame retardant:

The FDA is so freaking bad,

http://www.nbcnews.com/business/consumer/coke-pepsi-drop-controvers...

I usually do a half water/half powerade on my long runs, I guess it is back to water.

2014-05-06 6:03 PM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
Subject: RE: Chemical in Powerade

Originally posted by JREDFLY Did you see this. Chemical used in Powerade is a known flame retardant: The FDA is so freaking bad, http://www.nbcnews.com/business/consumer/coke-pepsi-drop-controvers... I usually do a half water/half powerade on my long runs, I guess it is back to water.

I saw this article.  Some of the crap they pass off as food is disgusting.  More and more convinced that if I can't pronounce an ingredient on the list (or if sugar is in the first 3 ingredients) that I really don't need to buy it.

2014-05-06 6:07 PM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

Scott, great job pushing through the HM.  Crazy stuff leading up to the race and feeling lousy?  Hard to push through.  I can see after all that driving why you kept going....

2014-05-06 6:59 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Regular

Originally posted by JREDFLY Did you see this. Chemical used in Powerade is a known flame retardant: The FDA is so freaking bad, http://www.nbcnews.com/business/consumer/coke-pepsi-drop-controvers... I usually do a half water/half powerade on my long runs, I guess it is back to water.

I saw this article.  Some of the crap they pass off as food is disgusting.  More and more convinced that if I can't pronounce an ingredient on the list (or if sugar is in the first 3 ingredients) that I really don't need to buy it.

I'm not really a big fan of Powerade and Gatorade, but I take this kind of hyper publicity with a grain of salt. After living through Alar and seeing how junk science was used by advocacy groups to scare the public--ultimately putting thousands of apple growers out of business--I've learned that the accepted model to secure change is "by whatever means necessary." Truth is the first casualty. Heck, even today the Environmental Working Group lists apples as the most dangerous fruit. It's total BS. So, I'm not particularly swayed by a internet protest generated by an 11th grader who thinks just because a certain chemical is used in product A it automatically must be bad if it's in food product B.

But that's just me.

Edited by lutzman 2014-05-06 7:00 PM
2014-05-06 8:09 PM

User image

Farmington, Connecticut
Congratulations, Scott.

What a great effort to make the race happen despite both weather challenges and illness. I really enjoyed reading the story.

Dave
2014-05-07 8:55 AM

User image

Expert
Missouri

Scott - good luck this weekend!  I'm considering that HM for next year.

I am doing it again next year!  Even though I walked it this year, it was a blast.  Maybe we can start together!

Congrats on finishing despite the cold and weather issues along the way. 

I just checked the website and it looks like registration for next year doesn't re-open until September (wish I'd looked sooner) so I've got time to decide for sure - although I'm 95% sure I'm going to do it.  Hopefully we can meet up before the race!

2014-05-08 9:50 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: Tuesday track
A little late on this, but here's the workout from last Tuesday. It's a pretty basic workout for those on a 10K or HM program to help work on adjusting to running faster and maintaining a pace. What I've noticed is at faster paces specific muscles are called to work in ways that must be different from slower running because I can feel the stress and fatigue. Abs works harder, quads work harder, even the chest gets called on because the aggressive breathing taxes those muscles differently to exhale and inhale deeper.

As I said, this was a simple workout. After a full warm up, it consisted of 4 X 1 mile repeats (4 laps), each with a three minute full walking recovery. The first mile was at 10K pace, second at 5K pace, third at faster than 5K pace, fourth back at 5K pace.

My HM pace is about 7:40. Pull 30 seconds a mile for a 10K pace and I'm at 7:10. My splits were 1) 7:07, 2) 6:51, 3) 6:41 and 4) 6:50. Half mile cool. You can adjust the above paces pretty easy based on your 10k times/goals.

I was pretty whipped afterward. Interval work really stresses my joints. The rest of the night and next morning I was sort of half limping around, feeling very tight in ankles, knees and quads. I could even feel the tightness and fatigue in my hips during my swim workout on Wednesday. But a day later I was fine. The clear message is as a gray guy while I need speed work more than ever I just can't do very much without risking injury. So "quality" not quantity is key.

Edited by lutzman 2014-05-08 9:52 AM

2014-05-08 11:27 AM

User image

New user
Hingham, MA
Sorry for being late again - busy week. Unfortunately its work not working-out.

(GGG 5-5-2014.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
GGG 5-5-2014.jpg (137KB - 6 downloads)
2014-05-09 6:56 AM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Scott. That was a great race report! congrats, that was some fine effort pony-ing up and making it happen in spite of all the obstacles put in your way. I am going to remember your persistence the next time I start to wuss out.

2014-05-09 10:38 AM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

New user
Hingham, MA
Subject: Whats up for the weekend?
Hey Steve, I did a modified version of you speed workout with the 1% incline trick on the treadmill last night and I can really feel it in my legs this AM.

Tomorrow is my 57th birthday and I am thinking on celebrating with a 14 mile run. Thinking on going old school and leaving the heart rate monitor at home and just pace by feel. I was disappointed with my time last week and felt like I could have run faster if I wasn't trying to keep my HR under 150. Still going to be careful not to overdo though. After writing this I am thinking I may be asking for trouble, any thoughts? Also, I would like to hear peoples opinion of wearing a HR monitor on race day?

Plus - Whats up for the weekend people?
2014-05-09 12:15 PM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
Subject: RE: Whats up for the weekend?

Originally posted by JREDFLY Hey Steve, I did a modified version of you speed workout with the 1% incline trick on the treadmill last night and I can really feel it in my legs this AM. Tomorrow is my 57th birthday and I am thinking on celebrating with a 14 mile run. Thinking on going old school and leaving the heart rate monitor at home and just pace by feel. I was disappointed with my time last week and felt like I could have run faster if I wasn't trying to keep my HR under 150. Still going to be careful not to overdo though. After writing this I am thinking I may be asking for trouble, any thoughts? Also, I would like to hear peoples opinion of wearing a HR monitor on race day? Plus - Whats up for the weekend people?

Happy Birthday James!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guys/Girls Masters Focus Triathlete Forum (all levels welcome)--CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 44

RELATED POSTS

Triguys Tri Team (all levels welcome) - CLOSED SORRY Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8

Started by triguy1043
Views: 18125 Posts: 190

2014-04-02 11:34 AM lsousa
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 24, 2012
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 3
I didn’t used to like to run slow. You begin to recalibrate your needs and wants and if-only you could jog an easy two miles, three times per week. Running is a gift.

date : March 10, 2011
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 1
Tinley on triathlon, aging, and the attitude of a masters athlete
date : December 4, 2007
author : EndurancePlanet
comments : 0
She's back. We were able to interview Deanna Babcock, a triathlete who galvanized the forums over several months with her story of a tragic accident and subsequent recovery.

date : October 4, 2007
author : R_Laberje
comments : 14
Humorous short story about giving up feminine luxuries for the triathlon fitness lifestyle.
date : February 8, 2007
author : MegL
comments : 25
No one likes to look like a fool, but it’s hard not to when you don’t know what you’re doing as a beginner, so if it helps, go ahead and pretend.

date : May 30, 2005
author : pjsuperhawk
Maintaining a positive attitude and a sense of priority will be my keys to success. Before summer fades into fall, I will be a Triathlete and eager to race again.
date : October 3, 2004
author : scuba-punk
He looked at us and flat out told us that he wouldn't accept any of us as his students at a technical diving level with the poor level of physical fitness we had.

date : August 31, 2004
author : malvey
Get inspired to race a triathlon even if your older.