Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 16

2014-01-27 9:16 AM
in reply to: badmo77a

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada
Subject: RE: 2014 Rookies - CLOSED

Originally posted by badmo77a Triathlon Ontario change their ruling recently and made the draft zone bigger: http://triathlonmagazine.ca/news/drafting-rules-change-for-ontario-... I have very limited experience but I would say that on the first 5km out of a sprint distance event (especially if there are duathletes on the same course) then this is very hard to adhere to. Obviously it is bigger deal on a 90km course where drafting could result in huge gains.

Thanks for that.  The drafting rules do vary from country to country and sometimes even within.  It's always good to check the rules if you are going to a new location.

You are right that there are times where it can be difficult to adhere to the rules when on a crowded course but you just have to do the best that you can.  Remember that when you are passed, it becomes your responsibility to drop back fully out of the draft zone before re-passing, even if the person that passes you slows down as soon as they go by.

2014-01-27 10:13 AM
in reply to: axteraa

User image

St Catharines, Ontario
Originally posted by axteraa

Originally posted by badmo77a Triathlon Ontario change their ruling recently and made the draft zone bigger: http://triathlonmagazine.ca/news/drafting-rules-change-for-ontario-... I have very limited experience but I would say that on the first 5km out of a sprint distance event (especially if there are duathletes on the same course) then this is very hard to adhere to. Obviously it is bigger deal on a 90km course where drafting could result in huge gains.

Thanks for that.  The drafting rules do vary from country to country and sometimes even within.  It's always good to check the rules if you are going to a new location.

You are right that there are times where it can be difficult to adhere to the rules when on a crowded course but you just have to do the best that you can.  Remember that when you are passed, it becomes your responsibility to drop back fully out of the draft zone before re-passing, even if the person that passes you slows down as soon as they go by.

Takes some discipline to drop back fully, especially if that then immediately results in someone else calling a pass and going for it. You can feel like you are going backwards. Esp if you see a number from your age grpup on the calf of the rider overtaking you. I am desperate for the year to roll around (wishing my life away!) to get some more experience. The race situations ask some questions that you cant realy answer in training. Even when you are only competing against the middle of your agegroup and hoping not to get chicked too many times.

For example you can get passed and think:

1) I should stick to my trained cadence, gearing and pace and lay down a consistent performance and it will pay off at the end of the ride.
or
2) If I start to bunny hop with this rider I know it will drive us both to go faster.
or
3) Arrrggghhh. NOBODY passes me!! Eat my dust!!!

Tough to always pick the smart choice.
2014-01-27 2:08 PM

User image

Sorry I have been MIA for a while.  I just had a lot going on.  I hope everyone's training is going well.

2014-01-28 10:34 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Race day question - what do you wear under the wetsuit? Do you wear the tri pants or bathing suit?

I am guessing this is how it goes - but please give me how it really is:

1. Arrive at race "normal" clothes to check in
2. Put on wet suit - how far in advance do you do this?
3. After swim, take off wetsuit and put on bike stuff or do you wear the tri suit under the wet suit?
4. After bike, put on running shoes and run in bike or tri shorts?
5. For us ladies - is there any bra issues to know about?

Does this question make any sense? I guess what I am asking is what you wear when and how you minimize transition of taking everything off/on.

Thank you!

Donna
2014-01-29 2:54 AM
in reply to: luvschips

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by luvschips Race day question - what do you wear under the wetsuit? Do you wear the tri pants or bathing suit? I am guessing this is how it goes - but please give me how it really is: 1. Arrive at race "normal" clothes to check in 2. Put on wet suit - how far in advance do you do this? 3. After swim, take off wetsuit and put on bike stuff or do you wear the tri suit under the wet suit? 4. After bike, put on running shoes and run in bike or tri shorts? 5. For us ladies - is there any bra issues to know about? Does this question make any sense? I guess what I am asking is what you wear when and how you minimize transition of taking everything off/on. Thank you! Donna

Donna, what most people will do is wear a tri suit (one piece or two) under their wetsuit and do the entire race in that.  With the exception of a full Ironman, most races will not have anywhere that you could change.  So it goes something like this:

1. Some races I will arrive in normal clothes and change into my trisuit while there, others I will arrive with it on already.  It depends on how far I am travelling to get to it.

2. I start putting my wetsuit on about 15 mins before the race, usually just the legs and leave the upper body part hanging around my waist until closer to the start.  I put the rest on a few minutes before the start.  If it's a hot day you can overheat in a hurry wearing one!

3. After the swim, wetsuit off and go bike!  I have seen people put bike shorts on over their tri suit. 

4. After bike, run shoes on and run in tri shorts.  I have also seen people run in bike shorts but I can't imagine what that feels like!

5. I'm not much help with bra issues.    From reading posts from others I think most ladies wear a good sports bra for the whole race.

As I said, the exception would be an Ironman where they have change tents and many people will do a full change.

My suggestion would be to get either a one piece or two piece trisuit and practice and train in it to make sure it is comfortable to run and ride in.  For quite a while I prefered to do all of my riding in tri shorts only rather than a fully padded bike short.  

2014-01-29 7:47 AM

User image

St Catharines, Ontario
A swim question:

Yesterday I was focusing on trying to swim a smooth pace and cover a sprint distance (750) front crawl. Before doing a few drills.

I find when front crawling I get very fatigued in my upper abdominals On any continuous sets longer than say 300m.

I full acknowledge this could be a core strengthening issue that I need to deal with but I also worry it may be related to my form.

Is there an more core efficient way to kick?

For example in a few TI videos I have watched there seems to be a real discipline to raising the opposite arm and leg? So if I was reaching forward with my right arm pre catch I would have my left leg at the top of its kick. And visa versa for the left side. Is this going to do me any good?

2014-01-29 8:37 AM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by badmo77a A swim question: Yesterday I was focusing on trying to swim a smooth pace and cover a sprint distance (750) front crawl. Before doing a few drills. I find when front crawling I get very fatigued in my upper abdominals On any continuous sets longer than say 300m. I full acknowledge this could be a core strengthening issue that I need to deal with but I also worry it may be related to my form. Is there an more core efficient way to kick? For example in a few TI videos I have watched there seems to be a real discipline to raising the opposite arm and leg? So if I was reaching forward with my right arm pre catch I would have my left leg at the top of its kick. And visa versa for the left side. Is this going to do me any good?

That's a tough one without actually seeing a video of you swim.

For the last part about the opposite arm/leg, it depends on how exactly you describe it.  I'm assuming you are describing a two beat kick.  I'll try to talk it out...

When your right arm is extended, you should be rotated onto your right side so your right hip is down.  As a result, your left hip and leg will be up.  However, as you begin to pull with your right arm, your right leg will kick to aid in the beginning of your rotation onto your left side.

Does that make sense?

2014-01-29 10:03 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

St Catharines, Ontario
That's a tough one without actually seeing a video of you swim.

I will try to negotiate with my wife to get this done. Dont hold your breath! :-)
I'm assuming you are describing a two beat kick.  

To be honest I think I have more than a two beat kick. Old habits making me feel that everthing should be churning to produce as much propulsion as possible. I am trying to slow this down.
When your right arm is extended, you should be rotated onto your right side so your right hip is down.  As a result, your left hip and leg will be up.  However, as you begin to pull with your right arm, your right leg will kick to aid in the beginning of your rotation onto your left side.
Does that make sense?

That does make sense. The rotaion on to each side is something I have worked on with the pull bouy.

The ab fatigue may just be core weakness. But I dont think it is helped by my over kicking.

I am trying to hope it will be like getting back into running. Last year I had a period of starting running again where I would get painfully out of breath after 1 or 2km and would end most runs gasping for air. After a while I broke through and now am rarely out of breath unless I am purposely aiming to run above Z2.

I am hoping a similar thing will happen with swimming in that I will be able to start going out for a long slow swim and sustain it.

Edited by badmo77a 2014-01-29 10:29 AM
2014-01-29 12:25 PM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Originally posted by luvschips Race day question - what do you wear under the wetsuit? Do you wear the tri pants or bathing suit? I am guessing this is how it goes - but please give me how it really is: 1. Arrive at race "normal" clothes to check in 2. Put on wet suit - how far in advance do you do this? 3. After swim, take off wetsuit and put on bike stuff or do you wear the tri suit under the wet suit? 4. After bike, put on running shoes and run in bike or tri shorts? 5. For us ladies - is there any bra issues to know about? Does this question make any sense? I guess what I am asking is what you wear when and how you minimize transition of taking everything off/on. Thank you! Donna

Arend gave a pretty good description, but I'll provide responses as well.

1. I almost always arrive wearing my tri suit as I don't love the "changing while wearing a towel" trick and I absolutely try to minimize my time in porta potties!

2. When I put the wetsuit on depends on a few things -- if it's hot outside, I'll hold off as long as I can.  If it's cold outside, I'll probably put it on much earlier.  If I can do a swim warm-up (some races allow warming up and some don't), I'll get it on with ample time to get a decent swim in prior to the start.

3. Wetsuit goes on OVER the trisuit, so when I peel the wetsuit off, I just need to get my bike gear (helmet, sunglasses, shoes, bike) and head out to the bike course.  Drying off or trying to pull dry clothing onto your wet body wastes precious time....and a tri suit (one piece or two pieces) provides a bit of padding for riding, but not so much that it is uncmofortable to run in.

4. As mentioned above, tri suit is plenty comfortable to run in, so I ditch my bike gear and throw on my run gear in transition.

5. Depending on how well-endowed you are, you may need to take bra support into consideration.  Many female tri suits come with a built in shelf bra.  Now I know  a lot of people say it doesn't support them well enough, but I'm a rather small person and have had zero issues.  This is something you should determine before your first race, not IN your first race.  If the built in bra doesn't provide the support you want/need, I'm sure there are female tri suits that are made without, but if not, the male tri suits definitely don't have them!

So, in summary -- wear a tri suit (one or two piece) to minimize change requirements.  You'll have to take off your wetsuit if it's a wetsuit legal race....otherwise, the only "changing" will be of gear required for biking or running (mostly shoes and helmet / hat).

2014-01-29 5:05 PM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by badmo77a I'm assuming you are describing a two beat kick.  
To be honest I think I have more than a two beat kick. Old habits making me feel that everthing should be churning to produce as much propulsion as possible. I am trying to slow this down. [

If you are doing more than a two beat kick then the description from TI really doesn't come into play (if I'm understanding it properly).

2014-01-29 5:16 PM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by badmo77a  That does make sense. The rotaion on to each side is something I have worked on with the pull bouy. The ab fatigue may just be core weakness. But I dont think it is helped by my over kicking. I am trying to hope it will be like getting back into running. Last year I had a period of starting running again where I would get painfully out of breath after 1 or 2km and would end most runs gasping for air. After a while I broke through and now am rarely out of breath unless I am purposely aiming to run above Z2. I am hoping a similar thing will happen with swimming in that I will be able to start going out for a long slow swim and sustain it.

It may sound counter-intuitive but the way to get better at doing long swims and being able to sustain effort is to do short interval type of swims.    Sets where you do 50s or 100s with ~10 seconds of rest are bread and butter swim training.  You would do those 50s or 100s at a slightly higher effort level than you could maintain if you were swimming straight through.

For example if you could swim 1000m straight and maintain a 2:00/100m pace then you would do something like 10 x 100 and finish each 100 in the 1:50-1:55 range, take the 5 - 10s rest and go again.  Normally you would pick a repeat time for the set and go with that.  

In swimmer's lingo it would look something like this.

10 x 100 on 2:05 coming in (or holding) 1:55.

So doing that, the first few might be 1:52 - 1:53 then a few more around 1:54 then you would try to hang on and keep it at 1:55 for the rest.  Ideally you start out at a pace that you can maintain fairly closely throughout the set.  You don't want to do 1:45 for the first one and end up blowing up for the last few.

I sort of went sideways there..... back to your original comment.   If you keep at it in the pool after some time it will get easier and you probably won't get the sore abs anymore.

2014-01-30 8:38 AM

User image

St Catharines, Ontario

To be honest I think I have more than a two beat kick. Old habits making me feel that everthing should be churning to produce as much propulsion as possible. I am trying to slow this down. [

If you are doing more than a two beat kick then the description from TI really doesn't come into play (if I'm understanding it properly).

I mentioned TI just because it looks effortless and is very quiet in the kick. And my worry is that my disorganised kick is causing me trouble.
Also I am totally on board with the effort based intervals you have suggested. And use them often at the pool,
2014-01-30 8:50 AM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by badmo77a

I mentioned TI just because it looks effortless and is very quiet in the kick. And my worry is that my disorganised kick is causing me trouble. Also I am totally on board with the effort based intervals you have suggested. And use them often at the pool,

It certainly could be causing you grief, it's an easy way to burn a lot of energy with no gain if not done properly.

You are right about how effortless a good kick can be, a well executed two beat kick is a beautiful thing to watch.

2014-02-02 9:13 PM

User image

Kansas City, Missouri

So I have a pre-race/long workout question.  I've read several reports that coffee in the morning helps get the ol' digestive system moving so you can clear things out before the race.  I can't do coffee, so is there anything else to eat/take so that I don't have to suffer from nature screaming at me for the second half of a race?

I also want to avoid this at all costs... http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=150441&page=1

2014-02-03 8:51 AM

User image

St Catharines, Ontario
I have commited to a 10k race on Feb 17th (Ontario Family Day holiday).

http://niagararunningseries.com/races/grimsby/

My run volumes have been light recently so I am going just for a laugh.

14 days to get ready for a 10k! Might be a slow one :-)

2014-02-03 12:14 PM
in reply to: Danmartinids

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Originally posted by Danmartinids

So I have a pre-race/long workout question.  I've read several reports that coffee in the morning helps get the ol' digestive system moving so you can clear things out before the race.  I can't do coffee, so is there anything else to eat/take so that I don't have to suffer from nature screaming at me for the second half of a race?

I also want to avoid this at all costs... http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=150441&page=1

I'm also a non-coffee drinker.  I don't use anything special to get going (honestly, if you want to try something, try it in your training....don't let race day be the day to experiment!).

I just give myself a lot of time to get ready in the morning.  My body seems to have a way of "knowing"....but if things don't work out, never do a #2 on your bike!  Find a porta potty

2014-02-03 12:20 PM
in reply to: ligersandtions

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by ligersandtions

Originally posted by Danmartinids

I'm also a non-coffee drinker.  I don't use anything special to get going (honestly, if you want to try something, try it in your training....don't let race day be the day to experiment!).

I just give myself a lot of time to get ready in the morning.  My body seems to have a way of "knowing"....but if things don't work out, never do a #2 on your bike!  Find a porta potty

I'm struggling with this whole "no coffee" concept.  It doesn't compute very well in my brain!  

2014-02-03 12:20 PM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by badmo77a I have commited to a 10k race on Feb 17th (Ontario Family Day holiday). http://niagararunningseries.com/races/grimsby/My run volumes have been light recently so I am going just for a laugh. 14 days to get ready for a 10k! Might be a slow one :-)

Sounds like fun, enjoy it and be sure to write a race report after you are done!

2014-02-03 3:23 PM

User image

St Catharines, Ontario

Originally posted by badmo77a I have commited to a 10k race on Feb 17th (Ontario Family Day holiday). http://niagararunningseries.com/races/grimsby/My run volumes have been light recently so I am going just for a laugh. 14 days to get ready for a 10k! Might be a slow one :-)

Sounds like fun, enjoy it and be sure to write a race report after you are done!

Awards go three deep per age group. Last year there were only 4 guys in my age group and two of those ran 58m+. Hoping to podium! :-)

I will report!
2014-02-04 11:56 AM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Awards go three deep per age group. Last year there were only 4 guys in my age group and two of those ran 58m+. Hoping to podium! :-) I will report!

If I remember correctly, you were hoping to get your wife to do the race as well -- any luck with that?

Looking forward to the RR!

2014-02-04 12:44 PM

User image

St Catharines, Ontario

Awards go three deep per age group. Last year there were only 4 guys in my age group and two of those ran 58m+. Hoping to podium! :-) I will report!

If I remember correctly, you were hoping to get your wife to do the race as well -- any luck with that?

If it looks nice and warm on the forecast she may come along to the 3k. But as it stands it is just my brother-in-law and myself.

2014-02-04 5:55 PM

User image

If it looks nice and warm on the forecast she may come along to the 3k. But as it stands it is just my brother-in-law and myself.

Good luck to the both of you.

2014-02-11 7:52 AM

User image

Need some advice, I have been struggling with calf cramps. First on my bike and today in the pool.

Any suggestions?

Donna
2014-02-11 12:18 PM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Originally posted by luvschips Need some advice, I have been struggling with calf cramps. First on my bike and today in the pool. Any suggestions? Donna

How's your hydration and/or electrolyte consumption been recently?  To be honest, I've never really had much issues with cramping, but I like to think it's because I keep myself well hydrated....and I eat bananas like they're going out of style

2014-02-11 2:17 PM

User image

St Catharines, Ontario

Originally posted by luvschips Need some advice, I have been struggling with calf cramps. First on my bike and today in the pool. Any suggestions? Donna

How's your hydration and/or electrolyte consumption been recently?  To be honest, I've never really had much issues with cramping, but I like to think it's because I keep myself well hydrated....and I eat bananas like they're going out of style

I am no expert and am not one of the mentors on this thread but, you know, you have to pad your post count somehow :-)

The three tri sports do funny things to your legs. You shorten the calf to point your toes while swimming. Lengthen it while running. Quads get shortened in some riding positions and they provide tension against your calf.

The main remedies seem to be:

Nutrition and hydration (sage advice above) to focus on electrolyte and mineral consumption while training.
Some full motion work (calf raises, squats, yoga etc)
Rolling and massage.
Related injuries and referred pain (is a sore or tight back giving you regular hamstring pain) (bad shoes killing your shins).

Here is some reading if interested:

http://cyclingtips.com.au/2011/06/nutrition-and-muscle-cramps-%E2%8...
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » 2014 Rookies - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 16