BT Development Mentor Program Archives » 2014 Rookies - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 16

2014-02-11 2:27 PM
in reply to: luvschips

User image

Subject: RE: 2014 Rookies - CLOSED

In my experience, unless you are noticeably dehydrated, cramps have more to do with going beyond your fitness than anything else.

How has your training intensity/volume been over the past few days?  When you were not training, were you on your feet more than normal?

2014-02-12 12:39 AM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Thank you for all the advice! I think I have been training at a much higher level of intensity and not eating/drinking enough...

I looked at my log and found:

1. I have not been as consistent in my training as usual.
2. I have raced more than usual on less running (I did 2 halfs within 2 weeks - both pr's).
3. I have added "harder" swimming. I used to just swim at a relax paced around 2000 yds. I have changed that last 2 weeks. Which is when the problems started. I added a day where I swim at the faster pace where I rest in between. I also increased it to 2450 yds.
4. I also recently changed my diet to "the new rules to marathon nutrition". And I noticed my carb level is around 120g (which is too low according to the book).

I think I will try to tone down a bit and tinker with my food. It's hard because I am afraid to eat too much because I don't want to gain weight (I don't want to gain back any of the 95lbs I lost).

Any good articles or advice on nutrition?

Thank you all again!

Donna
2014-02-14 7:32 AM

User image

Regular
Southern Ontario
Hey guys....

I didn't train yesterday to give my sore hips a break, BUT I did 1.5 hours of Tai Chi. Does this count? Should I put that in my training log as a sport or not log it at all, as I do Tai Chi daily anyway? Anybody else do Tai Chi? Do you count it as exercise?
2014-02-14 9:36 AM
in reply to: Panther

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Originally posted by Panther Hey guys.... I didn't train yesterday to give my sore hips a break, BUT I did 1.5 hours of Tai Chi. Does this count? Should I put that in my training log as a sport or not log it at all, as I do Tai Chi daily anyway? Anybody else do Tai Chi? Do you count it as exercise?

I'd log it!  I log most things I do even if they aren't directly related to my tri training.  It gives you hints when you look back after a race.  Maybe this time you did a ton of Tai Chi and had a great race....and next race you decide to focus specifically on tri training and don't have a great race.  Maybe you needed that balance of things to keep your training fresn and interesting.  Or maybe it's the other way around and you do better when you're not doing Tai Chi because you're fresher for your tri training.

I also keep track of things like getting masssages or doing foam rolling / stretching or the strength training that allows my knee to tolerate running.  All of this is so I can go back and help determine what was helpful and what might have been detrimental to my racing.

2014-02-14 1:57 PM
in reply to: ligersandtions

User image

Regular
Southern Ontario
Good advice. I think I will be a lot more detailed with my logging.
2014-02-17 5:11 PM

User image

Not much action going on here...

My open water swim is 4/16 and not sure how much practice I will be getting in a lake. I swam a few times last summer in a lake and was all over the place - couldn't swim straight for life of me. Any quick tips about staying on course? Also, I am nervous with all the bodies in the water. Should I just wait and go in the last wave?

Any tips appreciated.
Donna

2014-02-17 5:55 PM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by luvschips Not much action going on here... My open water swim is 4/16 and not sure how much practice I will be getting in a lake. I swam a few times last summer in a lake and was all over the place - couldn't swim straight for life of me. Any quick tips about staying on course? Also, I am nervous with all the bodies in the water. Should I just wait and go in the last wave? Any tips appreciated. Donna

Hi Donna,

If you are nervous, I think you should wait.  At the very least wait at the back of your wave as opposed to the last wave.  Stressing over all the other people around you won't help the situation at all.

As for staying on course, practice your sighting technique.  Doing it in the pool doesn't really prepare you all that well but at least it gets you used to the motions of it.  When you swam in the lake last year, did you have a technique you used to sight, how did you find it worked?

Here is what I do.  Depending on the situation, I usually sight every 6 - 10 strokes and always the exact same way.  For me it begins during a right arm pull - just before the point that I would normally rotate my head to take a breath I lift my head slightly to get my eyes just above the waterline and I take a snapshot of what I see.  Immediately I turn my head to the right and take a breath without altering my stroke at all.  I am then processing what I saw in that snapshot, did I see what I expected to see?  For example, if I am aiming at a tall tree, was it there and was it directly in front of me?  If it was left of where you expected you start swimming *slightly* to the left and vice versa.  Re-sight in a couple of strokes and see if you are back on target.  Always make small corrections (unless you are massively off course).  If during your snapshot you don't get a good look, don't stop, just sight again on the next stroke.

There is definitely an art and skill to it but I find the keys are to sight in a motion that doesn't interrupt your stroke and to only make small course corrections.

2014-02-18 10:17 AM
in reply to: axteraa

User image

St Catharines, Ontario
2014-02-18 11:36 AM
in reply to: badmo77a

User image

St Catharines, Ontario
Update.

On further review this was a bigger step in PR.

June '13 was 54:37.

Feb' '14 was 51:19.

2014-02-18 12:00 PM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by badmo77a Update. On further review this was a bigger step in PR. June '13 was 54:37. Feb' '14 was 51:19.

Awesome, that's a fantastic improvement and to do it with less than optimal footing makes it even better!

2014-02-19 7:16 AM

User image

St Catharines, Ontario
Have any more from this group entered early races? Didnt someone do a half marathon recently? Would be good to see any early race reports.

2014-02-19 7:24 AM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by badmo77a Have any more from this group entered early races? Didnt someone do a half marathon recently? Would be good to see any early race reports.

I've got a half marathon scheduled for this Sunday.  I'm hoping for good weather and good footing!

2014-02-19 2:55 PM

User image

Kansas City, Missouri

Bike tire question - looking at getting new tires for the season as my old ones are getting worn (bought the bike used, then trainer miles). The LBS said I have about 500-700 miles left, but I'm looking ahead.  I've pretty much decided on the Continental 4000S tires.  My question is should I go with the 23mm or 25mm?  What are the pros/cons to each?

In related good news, I also just upgraded my wheels.  The bad news is that this upgrade was required and not expected.  I had a bunch of kids in my basement last week, and when I went for a trainer ride on Saturday, my bike fell off the trainer mid-ride, which caused my rear wheel to look like it had been run over by a truck.  I have moved the trainer to a more isolated area and hope to avoid any more incidents...

2014-02-19 4:22 PM
in reply to: Danmartinids

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by Danmartinids

Bike tire question - looking at getting new tires for the season as my old ones are getting worn (bought the bike used, then trainer miles). The LBS said I have about 500-700 miles left, but I'm looking ahead.  I've pretty much decided on the Continental 4000S tires.  My question is should I go with the 23mm or 25mm?  What are the pros/cons to each?

Hi Dan, good choice on the 4000s, they are great tires IMO!  The 23mm tires will almost certainly be the faster choice as it will match up with the wheel's rim better aerodynamically.  The 25mm ones might give a slightly better ride on rough roads.

In related good news, I also just upgraded my wheels.  The bad news is that this upgrade was required and not expected.  I had a bunch of kids in my basement last week, and when I went for a trainer ride on Saturday, my bike fell off the trainer mid-ride, which caused my rear wheel to look like it had been run over by a truck.  I have moved the trainer to a more isolated area and hope to avoid any more incidents...

Sucks about the trainer mishap.  What did you get as a replacement?

2014-02-24 12:32 PM

User image

St Catharines, Ontario
Originally posted by axteraa

Originally posted by badmo77a Have any more from this group entered early races? Didnt someone do a half marathon recently? Would be good to see any early race reports.

I've got a half marathon scheduled for this Sunday.  I'm hoping for good weather and good footing!

Race report? How did it go?
2014-02-24 1:16 PM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by badmo77a

Race report? How did it go?

Race report is pending, hopefully I can finish it up soon.

tl;dr version.   1:33:40 which is a PB by about 4:30.  The weather was great, a bit windy in places but the roads were dry and it was about +1C.  It was a two loop run and the hills on the second loop punished me pretty bad!

2014-02-24 2:18 PM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada
2014-02-25 1:29 PM

User image

I also raced this past Sunday.  First time trial of the season.  Went pretty well and a good sign this early in the season.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=511507&posts=6&page=1#M4955309

I have another short time trial again this weekend, and a short road race the weekend after that.  Then it will be a hard block of training before my first major race of the year...a 4.5 mile TT hill climb that is a big benchmark among the local cycling community.

2014-03-02 12:06 PM

User image

You guys are some awesome athletes! I would love to break 2 hrs for my half in June - been 2:06 the last two I ran in Jan and Feb. I have added hills/trail running one day a week. I even signed up for my first trail (10 miles) this Sat. Not expecting much because of my crummy training...

My triathlon is 6 weeks away. I have been very inconsistent with my training...I have had to go out of town and that always kills me. Trying to buckle down and stay consistent until tri is over. The biking is where I am least consistent.

I am following a marathon (got Eugene in July) program that incorporates cross training so I am assuming I should be ok and finish good for my ability :-) but want your opinion on my schedule:

Minimum:
3 days running (+-20 miles/week)
2 days swimming (about 4 yards)
1 day bike (around 20 miles - going to try and add a second day when the time change happens next week). I live in a high traffic area so riding isn't much fun...

Should I throw in a bike/run? if so, do you do that one day a week?

Thanks!
Donna
2014-03-02 1:21 PM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by luvschips  
Minimum: 3 days running (+-20 miles/week)
1 day bike (around 20 miles - going to try and add a second day when the time change happens next week).
I live in a high traffic area so riding isn't much fun... Should I throw in a bike/run? if so, do you do that one day a week? Thanks! Donna

Might want to do a little more than 4 yards when you swim.  

I very rarely do bricks (bike/run back to back) except the odd one shortly before a race.  Most of the time when I bike and run on the same day (which is most of my bike days...) I bike in the morning and run in the afternoon.  That said, if you are crunched for time then it's a great way to get some extra running in.  If you can fit it into your schedule then I would do so.

2014-03-02 2:24 PM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

1 day bike (around 20 miles - going to try and add a second day when the time change happens next week).
I live in a high traffic area so riding isn't much fun... Should I throw in a bike/run? if so, do you do that one day a week? Thanks! Donna

I very rarely do bricks (bike/run back to back) except the odd one shortly before a race.  Most of the time when I bike and run on the same day (which is most of my bike days...) I bike in the morning and run in the afternoon.  That said, if you are crunched for time then it's a great way to get some extra running in.  If you can fit it into your schedule then I would do so.

Like Arend, I tend to bike and run on the same days, but bike in the morning (on the trainer) and run after work.  I usually do one "brick" a week, but it's a short run following my long ride, and is done mostly for the convenience of having to take only one shower.

Do you have a trainer?  If not, would you be willing to invest in one?  Buying a trainer and getting TrainerRoad was the BEST thing I did for my riding.  Riding in a high-traffic area (especially if your options are early in the morning before it's dark out or after work when it's busy) really limits the amount of riding you can do outside....but if you have a trainer, you can get a 60 minute ride in during a ~70 minute time period.  It's almost as simple as throwing on a pair of running shoes and walking out your front door.

I did also want to ask a question about your run plan -- have you used something similar before and how does your body hold up to it?  I'm somewhat run injury prone, so I guarantee that big of mileage in only 3 sessions a week would lead to an injury.  For reference, I'm currently sitting at just over 24mpw, running six days a week.

2014-03-02 8:08 PM

User image

Originally posted by ligersandtions

Like Arend, I tend to bike and run on the same days, but bike in the morning (on the trainer) and run after work.  I usually do one "brick" a week, but it's a short run following my long ride, and is done mostly for the convenience of having to take only one shower.

Do you have a trainer?  If not, would you be willing to invest in one?  Buying a trainer and getting TrainerRoad was the BEST thing I did for my riding.  Riding in a high-traffic area (especially if your options are early in the morning before it's dark out or after work when it's busy) really limits the amount of riding you can do outside....but if you have a trainer, you can get a 60 minute ride in during a ~70 minute time period.  It's almost as simple as throwing on a pair of running shoes and walking out your front door.

I did also want to ask a question about your run plan -- have you used something similar before and how does your body hold up to it?  I'm somewhat run injury prone, so I guarantee that big of mileage in only 3 sessions a week would lead to an injury.  For reference, I'm currently sitting at just over 24mpw, running six days a week.

LOL - ARENd!

Nicole - I never even hear of a trainer until I started looking at these forums...I really don't know anything about them but think that would be a great way of getting another day of biking in. Recommendations?

And I am really enjoying the 3 day a week running program. I have shaved 5 minutes off my half marathon time, believe it or not. I feel stronger with the cross training and not so fatigued. It's a 6 month program (never done this before) and will see if I can handle the 15 plus milers with this regimen. It also gives me enough time to switch back to 5 days a week if needed.

Excited about the trainer...

Donna
2014-03-03 8:14 AM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Donna,

I use a Kurt Kinetic Road Machine for my trainer and have no complaints.  The CycleOps Fluid 2 trainer also gets good reviews, but the KK's power curve is supposedly better defined, and since I wanted to use it with TrainerRoad (before I bought a power meter), I opted for the KK.

If you do buy a trainer, you'll want/need a couple other things -- a mat to catch your sweat and a fan (or more!) to aid in cooling.  I have two fans (remotely controlled, so I can warm up and then turn them on when I need them without getting off the bike). 

2014-03-03 8:25 AM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Agree with Nicole, I have both.  My wife uses the Cycleops, I use the KK and would recommend both.  If I had to pick one, it would be the KK.

2014-03-04 11:48 AM

User image

Does anybody have problems using fins. I am usually ok for first set of say 500 m but by the time I have rotated through a couple of other swim exercises and come back to the fins I immediately get cramp/pain in centre of foot. Any ideas how to avoid this - apart from stop using fins or is it a matter of build slow over time or bad technique?

Well done to everyone with there training, wish I was anywhere near as dedicated.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » 2014 Rookies - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 16