BT Development Mentor Program Archives » 2014 Rookies - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 16

2013-12-18 1:40 PM

User image

Subject: 2014 Rookies - CLOSED

GROUP FOCUS: This group is going to be focused on folks who are entering their first season of triathlon or similar.  We'll guide you through the general basics of training, how to prepare for races, equipment choices, and the strategy that will help you HAVE FUN and stay healthy.  I may recruit another member to help me Co-Mentor this group.

NAME: Jason

STORY: I started getting into tris about this time in 2009...preparing for my first season in 2010.  My first sprint was so exciting, as well as dreams that one day I would do an Ironman.  Well...I just finished my first Ironman this past October, and while I have come to realize that Ironman is not the end all and be all of triathlon, I do felt that I have somewhat come full circle in my journey and I want to help others who were in my shoes not too long ago.

FAMILY STATUS: Living with GF, no kids

CURRENT TRAINING: Right now, I'm just riding my bike and focusing on bike racing for 2014.  It's my strength, and while I do enjoy running and swimming, I promised myself after doing Ironman that I would see what I was capable of if I simply focused on bike racing.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: Honu 70.3 and Ironman Kona (Hawaii resident lottery spot) were my main races.

2014 RACES:  A bunch of road races and time trials.

WEIGHTLOSS: I've got 10+ pounds to lose as I put on some weight after IM.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR:  I'm highly active in the forums and I want to give back.  Supporting this community that has supported me so much.  I have experience with racing of basically all distances, so whether your first season's goal is just to finish a sprint, or maybe jump all the way into something longer, we'll try to get you there with a smile on your face.

Edited by Jason N 2013-12-31 3:13 PM

2013-12-18 5:55 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada
Subject: RE: 2014 Rookies

Hi everyone, I will be a co-mentor of this group with Jason.

NAME: Arend

STORY: My first triathlon was in 2009 but my journey started in 2007.  My introduction to the sport was seeing the results of a local race and noticing that a couple of guys that I used to swim with as a kid had done the race.  I thought, "hey, I can do that too!".  I made it a goal to do that same race in the following year.  Unfortunately I didn't make that goal as I had a very hard time with my knees when I started running.  It took many visits to see a physio to get things in order.  Swimming is my strength (as I was a swimmer as a kid), I do fairly well on the bike and then...  well I'm still working on the run.  

FAMILY STATUS: Living with my wife, no kids, 3 dogs.

CURRENT TRAINING: My original plan for the winter was to focus on my run but the snow and cold has arrived early in Atlantic Canada and has made a run focus difficult (I only run outside).  As such, my focus will switch to bike and swim while still running as often as possible.  My coach is Shane MacLeod - gsmacleod here on BT

THIS YEAR'S RACES: My two main races were Mont Tremblant 70.3 in June and Miami 70.3 in October.  I also did several other local races - pretty much a mixed bag of run, bike, duathlon and some tris.  I recently won our local tri association's "Warrior" award because I race a lot.  

2014 RACES:  The only confirmed one is the Ottawa Half Marathon but I am looking at Challenge Saint Andrews and the Niagara Half Iron.

WEIGHTLOSS: I'm about 5 lbs over what I would like to race at.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR:  I'm not sure but I always try to be as helpful as possible in the forums and I am always learning (or trying to).  The tri community around where I live is rather small so I learned a lot online from BT and other sources.   I've made lots of mistakes along the way so maybe you can learn from mine.  

2013-12-18 6:21 PM
in reply to: axteraa

User image

Subject: RE: 2014 Rookies - OPEN

Forgot to list the title of the thread as OPEN.  Glad to have you aboard Arend.

2013-12-18 7:44 PM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Hey everyone, I'll be co-mentoring with Jason and Arend 

NAME: Nicole

STORY: I just started the endurance sports and triathlon in 2012 when some of my good friends were getting more into running and decided to give triathlons a shot....they encouraged me to do so as well.  I was a bit hesitant as I was big into weight lifting and scuba diving, but I decided to give it a shot and really enjoyed it.  I'm still pretty new to this whole triathlon thing, but I think I can give a somewhat different perspective, still being relatively new and not having a background in any of the three sports.

FAMILY STATUS: Single with two dogs who love to run with me (well, at least during the winter!)

CURRENT TRAINING: Somewhat unstructured training for a couple more weeks -- typically swimming with a masters group 3x a week, riding on the trainer a couple times a week and one group ride, and running 5-6 times a week (all short runs as I'm just coming back from a knee injury)

THIS YEAR'S RACES: Knee injury severely limited my racing this year, but I did Vineman 70.3 (as an aqua bike race, followed by a jog/walk half marathon!).  Got back into running in September and did a local sprint, a 5k, and a Ragnar trail marathon

2014 RACES:  St. George 70.3 is the only confirmed race so far, but I suspect there will be some additional races later in the season

WEIGHTLOSS: Currently pretty happy with my weight

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR:  I'm still somewhat new to the triathlon scene but do have some experience -- so I'm right at the point where being new is fresh in my mind, but I have gained some good experience (much from learning on BT) that I'm happy to pass along

2013-12-26 11:27 AM

User image

Bump! 

2013-12-27 7:51 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

, Georgia
Hello! This seems like the perfect group for me as I am a complete rookie

NAME: Lynn

STORY: 2014 will be my first year of triathlons. I started becoming very interested in Triathlons after watching several of the IM world championship races in Kona. I have been running for about four years and have completed race distances up to a full marathon. I really enjoy running and I definitely enjoy the longer distances. I swam on a competitive team as a child up through my late teens which was lets just say several years ago. I have the swimming basics down but of course I haven't been swimming on a regular basis in years. I just bought my first road bike in September and I am a bit terrified of it LOL. This will be my biggest learning curve as I am in unfamiliar territory on the bike. I feel that physically the jump to the bike shouldn't be to bad but all the technical aspects of riding will be a challenge for me.

FAMILY STATUS: Married, no children but two big unruly dogs

2014 RACES: I am already registered for Augusta 70.3 September and I am planning on doing at least a couple of sprints and and Olympic distance leading up to the 70.3

WEIGHT LOSS: I probably have an extra 10 lbs on me at the moment but I am less concerned about focusing on weight loss and more on how I feel. I know when I am exercising regularly I feel great and the weight loss will happen as a by product.

I am looking to join a group to assist will training advice and general knowledge sharing. I want to stay focused on my goals and ensure I am training properly and getting the best out of myself.

Edited by Lynn! 2013-12-27 7:53 AM

2013-12-27 8:05 AM
in reply to: Lynn!

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Welcome to the group Lynn!

I see you are a gold member of the site.  Do you have a training plan that you will be following?

All those years you spent as a competitive swimmer will serve you well as you get back in the pool and spend a little time at it.  I had about a 12 year period where I did no swimming at all and was able to get back up to speed in the water fairly quickly.  Not anywhere near the same speed as before of course.  

2013-12-27 8:11 AM

User image

, Georgia
Hello Arend,

I signed up for the Gold membership here when they were having the anniversary sale so I could customize and use the training plan features. I also just got a Garmin 910XT for Christmas so I will be able to upload all my workouts for logging and analysis.

I definitely feel pretty comfortable in the water and feel like there is not much of a learning curve there just a conditioning and endurance hurdle. I have a gym close by with a pool that I will be doing most of my workouts in until the weather warms up then I can access a local lake for OWS.

Lynn
2013-12-27 8:17 AM

User image

St Catharines, Ontario
A rookies group would be ideal for me! I hope you are still open.

NAME: Adrian

STORY: 2014 will be my first year of triathlons. I got back into running in 2013 working my season through a few events finishing with the half marathon at Niagara Falls in October. During a gap in August I finished the Tri-A-Try event in Guelph Ontario and firm yl got the bug to have a season of sprint to Olympic events in 2014

FAMILY STATUS: I am married, with two young boys 7 and 4. My wife is very happy I am active agian and likes seeing the results in my health.

2014 RACES: I will likely have these events in my season:

June 7th = http://www.multisportcanada.com/binbrook/
July 27th = http://www.trisportcanada.com/event/index/74
Aug 30th = http://www.trisportcanada.com/event/index/76

Plus these run events:

March 30th = http://www.aroundthebayroadrace.com/(15km relay segment)
June 24th = http://niagararunningseries.com/races/peachbud/(10k)
Oct 19th = http://www.torontowaterfrontmarathon.com/en/index.htm(distance undecided, full marathon maybe!!!)

WEIGHT LOSS: Weight loss has been a huge motivator for getting into running last year. I had topped out at 300lbs and was making myself sick. This year I have lost about 55lbs and it has been awesome. After finishing my event season my weight has remained steady at about 245lbs. I know I can and should lose another 30lbs.
2013-12-27 8:24 AM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by Lynn! Hello Arend, I signed up for the Gold membership here when they were having the anniversary sale so I could customize and use the training plan features. I also just got a Garmin 910XT for Christmas so I will be able to upload all my workouts for logging and analysis. I definitely feel pretty comfortable in the water and feel like there is not much of a learning curve there just a conditioning and endurance hurdle. I have a gym close by with a pool that I will be doing most of my workouts in until the weather warms up then I can access a local lake for OWS. Lynn

That's great Lynn!  Logging your workouts here is a great way to track progress, keep yourself motivated and it also helps others provide assistance with any training questions you have.  I suggest putting in as much detail as you can tolerate.  It will come in handy when you want to go back and review things later.

2013-12-27 8:28 AM
in reply to: badmo77a

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Welcome to the group Adrian!  Happy to have another Canadian on board.  

I'm thinking of doing a race in your area in September, the new Niagara Half Iron event.  It looks like a nice area to race in.

2013-12-27 8:59 AM

User image

St Catharines, Ontario
Originally posted by axteraa

Welcome to the group Adrian!  Happy to have another Canadian on board.  

I'm thinking of doing a race in your area in September, the new Niagara Half Iron event.  It looks like a nice area to race in.

That Niagara event should be fun. The Welland recreational waterway is a safe and clean place to swim. The local tri club uses it for all it practice. The ride is pretty flat and through lots of farmland. The prevailing wind should be on your back for the 2nd half or 2/3rds. The double loop run around Niagara Falls is a cool site. Event the NF Marathon does not pass the falls and this route does it twice.

Plus you have the local attractions as well as wine tours and all the golf you could ask for. If you like that sort of thing.

Tempted by this or Muskoka for a 2015 target.

Edited by badmo77a 2013-12-27 9:02 AM
2013-12-27 9:25 AM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Welcome, Lynn and Adrian!  Great to have you both aboard.

Looks like you both have some great goals for 2014.  As Arend mentioned, logging your training on BT's log is a great way to keep yourself motivated and know that you've put in the training to have a successful race.

Lynn, having a swim and run background is awesome!  A good friend of mine (who started at the same time as me) had been running for a few years and was a competitive swimmer (turned water polo player) in high school.  She also was worried about the bike....she picked it up in no time and is an incredibly strong competitor now.  Do you have a stationary trainer?

Adrian, huge congrats on the weight loss -- that is fantastic!  And even better that your wife appreciates what this is doing for you, and thus has ended up causing her to support your new hobby.  Your race schedule this year looks like fun....and even better if you and Arend end up being able to meet up.  Would be very cool!

2013-12-27 9:43 AM
in reply to: ligersandtions

User image

, Georgia
Nicole,

Yes to answer your question I do have a stationary trainer.

Lynn
2013-12-27 10:30 AM

User image

Welcome Lynn and Adrian.

2013-12-27 1:18 PM

User image

St Catharines, Ontario
I have updated the training log for December. My first time using it but I will update here from now on.

Older data should be public in mapmyrun:

Adrian27205336

Be kind. Its been a slack December.

2013-12-27 1:18 PM

User image

As the group begins to fill, there are a few discussion topics I'd like to bring up, but in the mean time, if you have anyhing you want to ask or discuss, fire away.

I will ask though that you please keep all posts in this group swim, bike, run, training, racing, recovery, etc related.  Lets try to keep politics, and other non training related topics outside of this group to keep the flow going.

Thanks

2013-12-27 1:26 PM

User image

Originally posted by badmo77a I have updated the training log for December. My first time using it but I will update here from now on. Older data should be public in mapmyrun: Adrian27205336 Be kind. Its been a slack December.

Thanks for updating your logs.  I feel that logs are a key part of my training regimine and keeps me accountable. 

2013-12-27 1:47 PM

User image

New user

Hello, I'd like to join this group.

I am 49
Married with 3 adult children and 1 dog. My spouse does not workout with me but understands/supports my triathlon goals.
I work full time

I have completed a couple sprint triathlons (Irongirl) and Callaway in 2012 but still have lots of work to do. Those events and volunteering at a few tri's have given me an idea of what is involved with training. I decided to focus on sbr technique in 2013. In 2013, I completed 3 marathons and a 45 mile ride but no tris. I'm a turtle but got them done. I learned to swim a couple years ago at 46 - after a number years trying so any tips on approach to open water and drills are appreciated. I'm still trying to focus on the basics (relaxing, exhaling fully, chin to shoulder, treading water). Although I was able to finish IG and Callaway, I realized there was a lot of work to do with swim.

My primary goals for this season are to improve on being relaxed in the water, endurance and ows comfort level. Also, I'd like to lose 15-20lbs, work on run/cycle cadence and overall recovery.

My 'A' race for 2014 is Augusta 70.3 (I've already registered). I participated in the relay at Augusta in 2011.

My current race plan/ schedule is:
January - Goofy Challenge
March - Publix 1/2 marathon
April - Cartersville Duathlon
May - Sprint tri
June - Sprint or Oly tri
July - ??? not sure
August - sprint tri
September - Augusta

I don't know if this is a reasonable schedule but I do know that I have to get some ows practice in. I have a few friends that have completed a few IMs. They've offered to train with me but I don't know if at my skill level I should plug into a formal triathlon club/group. I will start Masters swim in January and intend to participate in it through Augusta. I do have a stationary bike trainer and also plan to ride with local bike shops.

I welcome any feedback and look forward to participating with the group.

T

Edited by TheresaM 2013-12-27 2:28 PM
2013-12-27 2:34 PM
in reply to: TheresaM

User image

Welcome Theresa!

3 marathons this year...CONGRATS!  There is no such thing as an easy marathon, no matter what pace you go.

Your schedule seems pretty reasonable.  If my focus were on races like sprint and Olympics, I like to race at least once a month if possible.  Joining a masters class is a great move to help your swimming and group riding is also a great way to challenge yourself on the bike.

Arend is a fish in the water and can probably give you more detailed help, but for me, the more time I spent in the water the better.  Some things just need time to click and the more comfortable you are with being in the water, the easier it is to work on the little things.

2013-12-27 3:28 PM
in reply to: #4915173

User image

If this group is still open, I would love to join.

My name is Samantha, and I am currently finishing my last year of college. I have been interested in trying a triathlon for a few years but have not yet done one. I began running about a year and a half ago, and have participated in races through that which I loved. I've done ten races so far, the longest being an 8 mile run. I am looking forward to doing a sprint triathlon this summer, and was eyeing one in early june. I have been swimming, running, and biking (plus general other fitness activities) but have not yet chosen a training plan.
I'm looking forward to the support a mentor group would provide me!

2013-12-27 4:06 PM
in reply to: sammerjam

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Welcome Theresa and Samantha!

Theresa, I think you have a good plan with starting Masters.  Do you know if the group has an on deck coach?  I agree with Jason that just spending lots of time in the pool goes a long way with getting more comfortable in the water and that will translate (to a point) to open water.  Definitely get some open water practice when you can though!

Samantha, it sounds like you are doing well with running.  How do you feel about your swim and bike?

2013-12-27 4:17 PM
in reply to: #4919142

User image

Arend,
I grew up on a lake, so I've always been comfortable in the water though I've never had any formal swim training. I've been swimming at the pool at my gym and can do up to a mile, albeit slowly, doing a forward crawl (i think thats what it's called? the normal stroke, anyway). I've learned to do a flip turn and bilateral breathing. My technique probably needs work, but I don't have many people to ask about it.
As for biking, I haven't done too much of it. I've ridden casually on rail trials and done a few spin classes, which i plan on doing more of. Its definitely a challenge for me to get out in the winter, as I live in a small city, but I have access to the stationary bike at the gym and spin class. I would say biking is definitely my weakest sport.
Also, i've been working on updating my profile and training log here on BT. I've been a lurker for awhile, but really wanted to jump in on the mentor program.

-Samantha
2013-12-27 5:04 PM

La Quinta, California
A rookies group sounds like the perfect place for me.

Name: Jerry

Story: 2014 I hope will be my first successful triathlons. I am a physically active person (wildland firefighter), but have never been an athlete. In 2010, I decided to try a half marathon with a co-worker. It turned out to be more fun than I thought it would be. I completed 2 more in 2011. I have twice signed up for, but have been unable to start 2 marathons due to injuries(more than likely overtraining induced). I became inspired to do triathlons after watching my friend (same co-worker) completing his 5th and 6th Ironman. I attempted a sprint last December, but Did Not Finish. I received a foot to the solar plexus during the swim start, and being a terrible swimmer, by the time I recovered, I wouldn't have made the cut off.

Family status: Married to a very supportive wife, 1 adult child no longer living at home, and 1 dog.

2014 Races: Planning 1 Sprint in March, possible half marathon in April, and a HIM in December.

Weight Loss: Not really a concern for me, at 5' 8", and 137 pounds, I need to hang on to what I have.

I am interested in the group, and the mentoring, to offer information, suggestions, and training advice that will not only help me prevent overtraining injuries, but also help me succeed in my future events.
2013-12-27 5:17 PM
in reply to: Jerry A.

User image

Welcome Samantha and Jerry. 

Everyone's stories are bringing back memories of my first year and how exciting it was to do my first triathlon races. 

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » 2014 Rookies - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 16