BT Development Mentor Program Archives » New Year New You...reopened for late comers Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 29

2014-05-24 7:59 PM
in reply to: pvfd304

User image

New user
Los Angeles County
Subject: RE: New Year New You...reopened for late comers
Originally posted by pvfd304

Any time you PR, it's a job well done. I figure I keep getting older each year, so one year this PR stuff has to slow down.

who says it has to slow down? hehehe

2014-05-26 8:47 PM
in reply to: mgk

User image

New user
Los Angeles County
I got the official results from Saturday's triathlon. All three of us got our personal best. So, I am very happy to say that we all kicked butt :-)

Austin - last year 1:35:50
this year 1:29:57
dropped 5:53
Aaron - last year 1:27:58
this year 1:18:10
dropped 9:48
Myself - last year 1:30:28
this year 1:17:45
dropped 12:43

They didn't make it easy for me this year, but I took the win out of the three. And, my last goal was successfully completed by being in the top 50 (I placed 32nd overall). Next year will be harder :-\
2014-05-27 6:51 AM
in reply to: [email protected]

User image

David - great job on the PR! That sounds pretty impressive to me!
2014-05-27 6:57 AM
in reply to: kturnity

User image

Hey everyone!

I have good news and bad news on the training front.

Good news - I swam a mile straight the other day for the first time and it felt great. I felt like I could have kept going. I've also managed to drop more time off my 100s and be able to hold it through 10 of them straight. So I'm feeling pretty good on the swim.

Bad news - I hurt my foot on a hiking trip about a week and a half ago (and then hiked a solid 20 miles on it over the next 2 days). I was hoping I had just twisted it or overused it and it would go away, but no such luck. I tried wrapping and icing it, but the compression just made it worse. That and the big lump on the side of my foot have convinced me I need to go get it checked out. I'm hoping it's nothing too bad since I have less than 4 weeks until my first sprint. Guess I'll just have to wait and see what the doc says. Fingers crossed!

Hope everyone else's training is going well!
KT
2014-05-27 10:30 AM

User image

New user
Los Angeles County
Originally posted by kturnity

Hey everyone!

I have good news and bad news on the training front.

Good news - I swam a mile straight the other day for the first time and it felt great. I felt like I could have kept going. I've also managed to drop more time off my 100s and be able to hold it through 10 of them straight. So I'm feeling pretty good on the swim.

Bad news - I hurt my foot on a hiking trip about a week and a half ago (and then hiked a solid 20 miles on it over the next 2 days). I was hoping I had just twisted it or overused it and it would go away, but no such luck. I tried wrapping and icing it, but the compression just made it worse. That and the big lump on the side of my foot have convinced me I need to go get it checked out. I'm hoping it's nothing too bad since I have less than 4 weeks until my first sprint. Guess I'll just have to wait and see what the doc says. Fingers crossed!

Hope everyone else's training is going well!
KT

that is awesome about the swim. Great job. I am looking forward to getting back into the pool. I didn't do any pool workouts for my triathlon :-
About your foot. Sounds like it's something similar to what my daughter did to hers just a couple weeks ago. Doctor said it was fractured and had to be out for a couple weeks from dancing. Sorry to hear about the injury... The only thing I can suggest is to get a feel for how your foot will do with the different pressures from running barefoot, running in shoes, and bicycling as soon as you have a chance. Adjust from there... Ice for pain and swelling, and soak in Epson Salt (sp?) to help speed up healing. If you are familiar with volcanico oil, I would use that as well.

Wish you the best for a speedy and we'll mended recovery. Let us know how everything comes along...
2014-05-29 2:41 PM

User image

Hi folks

My apologies, had a tough few weeks, daughter in and out of hospital, had to get a new job, suffered another injury setback and so on! Hope you are all good and happy to pick up and start posting again, looks like David is doing a great job as usual on here!

2014-05-30 3:46 PM
in reply to: Wumba41

User image

New user
Los Angeles County
Originally posted by Wumba41

Hi folks

My apologies, had a tough few weeks, daughter in and out of hospital, had to get a new job, suffered another injury setback and so on! Hope you are all good and happy to pick up and start posting again, looks like David is doing a great job as usual on here!

Hope that your daughter is doing better. Congrats with the new job. How are the injuries doing? How was/is the training coming along for the Tour de France?

Hope you're able to send out a quick post here/there... :-)
2014-05-30 8:34 PM

User image

Veteran
Central VA
2nd race of the year on Sat. Wish me luck. I went swimming on Wed and my calf cramped really bad while jumping out of the pool. It has been sore ever since. Did an equipment check ride of 19 miles today and it seemed to help loosen things up some. I think I'll be ok in the swim and bike but pushing off while running may be an issue.

Don't think this will be a fast race this time. Just going out to have fun.

2014-05-30 9:47 PM

User image

New user
Los Angeles County

2nd race of the year on Sat. Wish me luck. I went swimming on Wed and my calf cramped really bad while jumping out of the pool. It has been sore ever since. Did an equipment check ride of 19 miles today and it seemed to help loosen things up some. I think I'll be ok in the swim and bike but pushing off while running may be an issue.

Make sure you have something that will compress the calf. This will help with the run and lessen the pain. Of course, sports cream helps.

Good luck... Keep in mind. It's not worth injuring yourself more for an event. Keep at a pace that your leg allows...
2014-05-31 5:44 PM

User image

New user
Los Angeles County

How did the event go? Hope you did well =)
2014-05-31 7:07 PM

User image

Veteran
Central VA
Had a great race. Took some Tylenol and Goody's this morning to help me though. Did a 18 mile equipment check on the bike on Friday and that seemed to help more than anything. I never bother me all day so I guess something worked,

Still waiting on my times to be posted so I'll update the race log when I get all the times. Race felt good though.

Our Tri club had about 10 members there so it was nice to see a friendly face on the course and cheer each other on.

In other news, got to take my new road bike out for a spin today after the race. Bought a Cervelo S2. This is my first carbon bike and I'm very impressed with it so far.

2014-05-31 7:44 PM

User image

New user
Los Angeles County

Had a great race. Took some Tylenol and Goody's this morning to help me though. Did a 18 mile equipment check on the bike on Friday and that seemed to help more than anything. I never bother me all day so I guess something worked,

Still waiting on my times to be posted so I'll update the race log when I get all the times. Race felt good though.

Our Tri club had about 10 members there so it was nice to see a friendly face on the course and cheer each other on.

In other news, got to take my new road bike out for a spin today after the race. Bought a Cervelo S2. This is my first carbon bike and I'm very impressed with it so far.

Glad to hear the great news about finishing the triathlon and to have the outcome that you did is even better =) Hope that your times reflect the success =)

I know what you mean about having others also doing the event. It's great cheering others on. Just curious, how many in the Tri Club had this event as their first?

Wow... Very nice looking bicycle. I have a friend who pretty much swears by Cervelo. Was told that it has a great feel along with the feel of the road being just as great =)

Congratulations with your finish =)
2014-06-01 7:52 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Central VA
We didn't have any first timers at this event. Our last race, we did have two guys do their first one. Great seeing them do it.

We have several members doing IM 70.3 Raleigh right now.

As far as the S2, I found out that carbon bikes rides sooo smooth compared to my aluminum bikes.

Edited by pvfd304 2014-06-01 7:54 AM
2014-06-01 3:33 PM

User image

Cambridge, Ontario
well done to all of you......great times!
2014-06-01 3:34 PM

User image

Cambridge, Ontario
well done Katie, your progress in the swim has been amazing! Hope the foot is getting better!
2014-06-01 3:36 PM
in reply to: Wumba41

User image

Cambridge, Ontario
welcome back Neil, hope things start to go better for you 2nd half of this year!

2014-06-01 3:42 PM

User image

Cambridge, Ontario
.....that is so weird because the same thing happened to me today. I did a 30k bike yesterday so I guess my calves (which are a problem for me anyway) were pretty tired. My swim coach had me swim 2 sets of 750m and 2/3 of the way through the second set....bang, the most god-awful cramp....I managed to get to the side of the pool and actually had to get out and stretch it out before getting back in to complete the set. Same deal, very sore afterwards. Got home and iced it and it feels OK, not great. Going to pass on the run tomorrow as a precaution. Glad to hear that you didn't have a recurrence during your event.
2014-06-01 4:00 PM
in reply to: RobR

User image

Cambridge, Ontario
2 weeks to go until my first sprint tri. I spectated at the first local tri of the season last week and it was so awesome I can't wait to compete! What a buzz! There was everything from people who did not look good in lycra to world class athletes on show! Swim was in 15c water so I'm glad I was only watching! But watching the whole transition process was really useful and I feel comfortable doing that now.

So this is where I'm at;

swim - improving all the time and happy that it takes a year to be a good swimmer because after 6 months I am certainly not one! lol. But I can swim 750m in one stretch but I have to mix in breaststroke to get it done. My wetsuit is on order and will hopefully be here ready for an OW swim next saturday.

bike - probably my strongest discipline now. My rides have been strong and I'm learning to handle the aero position of the tri bike. It sure gives you a stiff next the first few times. Had a flat and managed to fix it so got some practice in that too.

run - it's been a defensive / avoid injury strategy. I don't have great mileage built up because of injuries earlier this yar but I've been successful in avoiding them in the last 6 weeks so I feel I can get the 6k done on the day. Tried a brick workout the other day and it proved to me that I'm going to have to take the first 5 mins of the run easy.

so this is it, the long winter months of training are behind us and we're racing at last. Good luck everyone with their events!
2014-06-01 4:10 PM

User image

Veteran
Central VA
2014-06-01 6:13 PM

User image

Cambridge, Ontario
sounds like it went well. That's great!

post a picture of your new bike when you get a chance!
2014-06-02 6:52 AM

User image

Originally posted by RobR

well done Katie, your progress in the swim has been amazing! Hope the foot is getting better!

Thanks Rob! The good new on the foot is...it's just a bad strain. The bad news is...I had to take a week off biking and a couple weeks off running. I'll start biking again tomorrow, but I'm not supposed to run until this weekend (or next Wednesday depending on how it feels). Unfortunately, that means I'll be adding running back in with 2 weeks or less until my tri, just in time to start tapering. If anyone has any advice for what I should do those couple weeks that I can run, I'd really appreciate it. (For reference, I was doing 2 runs a week up until I hurt myself, one at 30 min, the other at 45, hitting about 8:30 miles.)

I'm still feeling pretty good about the swim. I did learn an important lesson though: don't work your triceps too hard on a Friday if you have a swim lesson on Sunday. I struggled yesterday because my arms were still tired and sore. But at least I know not to do that before my tri now. (=

One other question: as far as warming up before a tri, what do you all do? I've realized over the last couple weeks that I struggle through the first couple hundred yards of a swim while I'm still warming up. I know I can't swim a warm up before the race, so any ideas to get me going would be helpful.

Happy training!

2014-06-02 12:54 PM

User image

Veteran
Central VA

sounds like it went well. That's great!

post a picture of your new bike when you get a chance!

After saving my pennies and waiting for the right deal to come along, I finally decided to take the plunge.

2013 Cervelo S2

(IMG_20140602_111214.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
IMG_20140602_111214.jpg (71KB - 19 downloads)
2014-06-02 3:31 PM

User image

Veteran
Central VA
Originally posted by kturnity

One other question: as far as warming up before a tri, what do you all do? I've realized over the last couple weeks that I struggle through the first couple hundred yards of a swim while I'm still warming up. I know I can't swim a warm up before the race, so any ideas to get me going would be helpful.

Most venues will allow a warm up swim before the start but I guess that may vary from site to site. I've never done a pre-swim. I try to do a quick easy run just to spike my heart rate some 1/2 hr before I swim.
2014-06-02 4:50 PM

User image

New user
Los Angeles County

2 weeks to go until my first sprint tri. I spectated at the first local tri of the season last week and it was so awesome I can't wait to compete! What a buzz! There was everything from people who did not look good in lycra to world class athletes on show! Swim was in 15c water so I'm glad I was only watching! But watching the whole transition process was really useful and I feel comfortable doing that now.

So this is where I'm at;

swim - improving all the time and happy that it takes a year to be a good swimmer because after 6 months I am certainly not one! lol. But I can swim 750m in one stretch but I have to mix in breaststroke to get it done. My wetsuit is on order and will hopefully be here ready for an OW swim next saturday.

bike - probably my strongest discipline now. My rides have been strong and I'm learning to handle the aero position of the tri bike. It sure gives you a stiff next the first few times. Had a flat and managed to fix it so got some practice in that too.

run - it's been a defensive / avoid injury strategy. I don't have great mileage built up because of injuries earlier this yar but I've been successful in avoiding them in the last 6 weeks so I feel I can get the 6k done on the day. Tried a brick workout the other day and it proved to me that I'm going to have to take the first 5 mins of the run easy.

so this is it, the long winter months of training are behind us and we're racing at last. Good luck everyone with their events!

Wow... how exciting!!!
you have come a very long ways and that alone you should be overly proud of yourself. 2 weeks isn't too far away, and it almost sounds like you are ready to go =)

something that I do coming up to an event. I back off on the workouts the week of the event and allow my body to keep moving without pushing myself. I don't even touch my bicycle during the last two days leading up to event day. This way, I'm physically rested.
and lastly... get as much sleep as you can during the first part of the week. with anxiety and other emotions, you might not get the expected rest the night before the event...

(high five, Rob)
wish I could watch, but I'm sure you'll hear me cheering you on from here ;-)
2014-06-02 4:54 PM

User image

New user
Los Angeles County

Off the Rails Race Report
http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...

Amazing race... I looked at your splits and very impressive.
How did your times compare to last year?

How's your leg doing?
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » New Year New You...reopened for late comers Rss Feed  

of 29

RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 31, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 2
For most people, there is a story in how they came to the sport as beginners. Some of the most inspiring of those beginner tales begin with health scares.

date : January 1, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 0
Here are five steps to ensure that you keep your promise to yourself to get you to that first triathlon.
date : January 1, 2007
author : Nancy Clark
With the coming of the New Year, athletes commonly think about making nutrition resolutions. Good thing, given only 3 to 4% of Americans follow all of the established Dietary Guidelines.

date : January 29, 2006
author : Nancy Clark
To help implement your resolutions (or those of your friends and family members), I recommend the following books, most of which are written by nutrition experts: registered dietitians (RD).
date : January 10, 2005
author : malvey
Incentives for making and keeping resolutions for your next year.

date : September 4, 2004
author : anchorage84
New Years Resolutions that Last - How to make them and keep them
date : September 4, 2004
author : anchorage84
It’s just so discouraging to know that within a few more weeks those New Years’ Resolutionists are going to quietly disappear.

date : September 2, 2004
author : Ron
The following is my 'new years resolution' for 2003.