BT Development Mentor Program Archives » BrotherTri’s - Triathlon Training Support Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 13

2014-02-17 4:59 PM
in reply to: KWDreamun

User image

Regular
Pueblo, Colorado
Subject: RE: BrotherTri’s - Triathlon Training Support Group - CLOSED
Went to do my long run today. Three loops of about 4.4 miles each. After the last lap my daughter decides that she wants to run a bit. How could I say no? So out we go again for another couple of miles. Now I am tired!

2014-02-19 11:07 AM
in reply to: tedjohn

User image

Expert
Tallahassee
Enjoy your daughter, they grow up so fast!
2014-02-22 3:08 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Finally finished my old school Fixie:

I like the way it came out, and it rolls pretty nice as well, given the around the block test. I'm taking it out for it's maiden voyage tomorrow, if everything works out for me.

2014-02-22 3:56 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Regular
Pueblo, Colorado
Very, very Cool! Looks stylish and comfortable. Enjoy!
2014-02-23 5:56 AM

User image

Expert
Tallahassee
Nice bike but don't keep us in suspense, how did she ride?
2014-02-23 2:56 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Thanks, it rode nice. The fixed gear forces 2 things for me. 1 is to keep spinning. 2 is that it makes me work at the stop and go stuff. I figure it will really push my leg strength. And I was right. I could feel it, so that must be doing the job.

2014-02-24 8:06 AM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by cdban66

Finally finished my old school Fixie:

I like the way it came out, and it rolls pretty nice as well, given the around the block test. I'm taking it out for it's maiden voyage tomorrow, if everything works out for me.

SEXXEH!!!!

2014-03-02 7:45 AM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

User image

Regular
Pueblo, Colorado
Going to do the "Spring" Runoff this morning and I'm planning to do the 10k with my daughter. The only thing missing is the "Spring." Right now it's snowing and about 5 degrees with the windchill!
2014-03-02 8:04 AM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by tedjohn Going to do the "Spring" Runoff this morning and I'm planning to do the 10k with my daughter. The only thing missing is the "Spring." Right now it's snowing and about 5 degrees with the windchill!

Racing with the kids - AWESOME!  

Wish you had better weather (it's all the way up into the 20's here today, but snowing, so I'm going to be on the drainer).

I'm sure you'll have a great time either way.  Hope you both enjoy the heck out of the race and racing together!

Matt

2014-03-02 8:08 AM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

User image

Regular
Pueblo, Colorado
Thanks! And enjoy your ride today. The good news is that next Sunday is supposed to be in the 70's so I plan on getting out on an actual road and riding for the first time since October!
2014-03-03 6:42 AM

User image

New user
My biggest weakness is the swim. I'm starting to realize how weak I truly am as I am unable to get any breathing technique down. I'm in a swim class geared towards beginner triathletes. Love it so far. However, still struggling to breath. I have a "stupid" question. A buddy of mine told me that snorkels can be used in a triathlon. He said he saw someone using one last year in a race. I went and looked at the rules and couldn't find anything saying you can't use them, but nothing said you could either. I'm not saying I'm gonna use a snorkel. I'd rather drop down to a duathlon before using one in race. Just looking to find out if you can use snorkels in a tri? Thanks.

2014-03-03 7:41 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

DP

Edited by mcmanusclan5 2014-03-03 7:41 AM
2014-03-03 7:41 AM
in reply to: scottjjmtri99

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by scottjjmtri99 My biggest weakness is the swim. I'm starting to realize how weak I truly am as I am unable to get any breathing technique down. I'm in a swim class geared towards beginner triathletes. Love it so far. However, still struggling to breath. I have a "stupid" question. A buddy of mine told me that snorkels can be used in a triathlon. He said he saw someone using one last year in a race. I went and looked at the rules and couldn't find anything saying you can't use them, but nothing said you could either. I'm not saying I'm gonna use a snorkel. I'd rather drop down to a duathlon before using one in race. Just looking to find out if you can use snorkels in a tri? Thanks.

Not a stupid question at all.

I *believe* the rule is that you may use one in a race, but that you are then ineligible for the podium (either overall or in your age group).  So, it sort it makes it an unofficial race, from a time standpoint.  However, if you're trying to get the experience of a race (which is valuable) but are not yet confident enough in the swim, it's one way to do it.

However, I'd recommend continuing to work on your swim (great job taking the swim class - that should pay off handsomely soon!) until you feel confident enough to do the distance in the open water.  Having grown up and then spent a good portion of my life on/in the water (but never swimming laps in pools until really the last year), I tend to give the water a LOT of respect…  The race experience will come and you'll be ready for it sooner than you think, if you stick with the work you're doing in the pool.  Better to be solid in the water first, I think.

Just my opinion, though.  

Matt

2014-03-03 9:38 AM

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Originally posted by scottjjmtri99My biggest weakness is the swim. I'm starting to realize how weak I truly am as I am unable to get any breathing technique down. I'm in a swim class geared towards beginner triathletes. Love it so far. However, still struggling to breath. I have a "stupid" question. A buddy of mine told me that snorkels can be used in a triathlon. He said he saw someone using one last year in a race. I went and looked at the rules and couldn't find anything saying you can't use them, but nothing said you could either. I'm not saying I'm gonna use a snorkel. I'd rather drop down to a duathlon before using one in race. Just looking to find out if you can use snorkels in a tri? Thanks.
Matt is correct about the snorkel.Breath technique or rhythmic breathing can be tough to master. More so it can effect other swimming techniques and vice a versa. The best thing is getting local help, swim more and break down the swim. If you are struggling the get the breathing technique than 25 yards/meters should be your target. Recover to start the next lap. Focus on exhaling underwater and turn your head with your shoulders and hips. Really without knowing more that's all I got. Can you you do a streamline long glide pushing off the wall blowing bubbles out your nose?
2014-03-03 10:41 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Scott, I was using a snorkel to help me develop more endurance, but it ended up messing up any breathing technique I had. So, a part of my swimming is back at square one. My experience is that there is no replacement for work, time, and experience in the water. I would echo the suggestions of Matt and James. Continue getting help locally and work on technique and you'll be in a better place in the long run. You'll be surprised at the gains you can make just being consistent in your training in the pool. 

2014-03-03 10:51 AM

User image

New user

Scott, I was using a snorkel to help me develop more endurance, but it ended up messing up any breathing technique I had. So, a part of my swimming is back at square one. My experience is that there is no replacement for work, time, and experience in the water. I would echo the suggestions of Matt and James. Continue getting help locally and work on technique and you'll be in a better place in the long run. You'll be surprised at the gains you can make just being consistent in your training in the pool. 

Thanks. I never really considered using a snorkel. I was more intrigued that they were even allowed them in a race to start with. I'm hoping this class helps. It seems like I took a step backwards this week while working on the drills for breathing. When I tried to just swim, lets just say I didn't get far before I had a mouth full of water... Scott

2014-03-04 9:13 AM
in reply to: BrotherTri

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Hey guys, I asked this in my other group, but I'd like to get more of an idea of what people are doing for training plans? 

1. Do you have a coach?
  2. How do you communicate with your coach?
  3. Do you use a plan or a program?
  4. How do you maintain that?
  5. And the question that should come first is the one that drives the answers to the others, IMO. What are your goals or objectives?

Thanks for any input you may have on my questions. Any thoughts or opinions are certainly welcome.

2014-03-04 10:44 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

New user
I have no coach. I have a hodge pogded plan that I try to follow. My goals are mainly to survive the Olympic distance Tri's this summer. If I can get more comfortable with the swim I might elevate my goals to finish under 3:00 but at this point surviving is my goal. If I get very comfortable with the swim I'd like to move up to a HIM. At this point I don't see that happening. I get in the pool and I feel like a fish out of water.... practice practice practice, I'm sure I have gills somewhere!

Edited by scottjjmtri99 2014-03-04 1:54 PM
2014-03-04 8:43 PM

User image

Regular
Pueblo, Colorado

Hey guys, I asked this in my other group, but I'd like to get more of an idea of what people are doing for training plans? 

1. Do you have a coach?
  2. How do you communicate with your coach?
  3. Do you use a plan or a program?
  4. How do you maintain that?
  5. And the question that should come first is the one that drives the answers to the others, IMO. What are your goals or objectives?

Thanks for any input you may have on my questions. Any thoughts or opinions are certainly welcome.

No coach for me. I do read everything I can get my hands on related to triathlon and I usually create a plan based on a few premises:
1) A solid aerobic base is key to success. Go long at least once a week.
2) More time spent on a specific discipline, generally translates into improved performance (ie- if cycling is your weakness, more cycling will likely improve your cycling).
3) Train because it's fun. You can get by on less time than you think.
4) Gains occur only when at rest.
5) Use your head. Part of what makes triathlon so fun is the mental component.

I try to set short and long term goals. This year, it's getting a PR at the 70.3 distance. I crashed during a race last fall and I want a shot at redemption. Next year, I'm really leaning towards my first Ironman.
2014-03-05 5:10 PM

First Tri-Season Goals are pretty simple.
1. Get better at swimming!!! Increase my swim proficiency enough that I can feel confident in an open water swim Tri. Translated into numbers: swim 750 yards continuous. Currently I'm pretty confident between 300-350 in a pool.
2. Get use to my new road bike. fairly new to cycling, I have a mountain bike that I used for short fitness rides (cross training) but nothing longer than 10-15 miles. Because of weather I haven't had a chance to get out on the new bike just yet. Need to learn the basic skills/tricks of the cycling world.
3. Complete a few sprint triathlons
4. Long term (next tri season) move up to Olympic distance triathlons.

BLUF: No coach yet.

I'm still thinking about joining the masters swim group at the local Y. I also plan on joining some group rides, when the weather turns favorable, to gain some cycling skills.

I too try to read as much material as I can and experiment with things throughout the week. Mostly focused on technique stuff vs training schedule. I do try to get a minimum of 2-3 swims in a week, 2-3 runs, and 1-2 cycling workouts. I may throw in a brick workout in a couple times a month.

2014-03-05 5:24 PM
in reply to: jwthomas

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by jwthomas First Tri-Season Goals are pretty simple. 1. Get better at swimming!!! Increase my swim proficiency enough that I can feel confident in an open water swim Tri. Translated into numbers: swim 750 yards continuous. Currently I'm pretty confident between 300-350 in a pool. 2. Get use to my new road bike. fairly new to cycling, I have a mountain bike that I used for short fitness rides (cross training) but nothing longer than 10-15 miles. Because of weather I haven't had a chance to get out on the new bike just yet. Need to learn the basic skills/tricks of the cycling world. 3. Complete a few sprint triathlons 4. Long term (next tri season) move up to Olympic distance triathlons. BLUF: No coach yet. I'm still thinking about joining the masters swim group at the local Y. I also plan on joining some group rides, when the weather turns favorable, to gain some cycling skills. I too try to read as much material as I can and experiment with things throughout the week. Mostly focused on technique stuff vs training schedule. I do try to get a minimum of 2-3 swims in a week, 2-3 runs, and 1-2 cycling workouts. I may throw in a brick workout in a couple times a month.

One thing I found helpful was a bike skills class, done by a member of the local bike club. It was geared towards older folks, but there were a few tips that I found real helpful. You might want to look into that through the LBS, local bike club or some such area. And of course there is the ever popular "ride more" comment, but it is true as you probably realize. Every time you get on the bike, you become more comfortable with it.

2014-03-09 10:03 PM

User image

Regular
Pueblo, Colorado
Whew, What a weekend! I had a 13 mile run yesterday which felt really good. However, today I went on a ride with a couple of guys. 40 miles and my first time outside on the bike since the end of October. I had absolutely nothing in the tank for the ride. Fortunately, they took mercy on me and slowed down from time to time so I could catch back up. I will sleep well tonight!
2014-03-18 5:31 AM

User image

Expert
Tallahassee
How is everyone doing. Is your training going as planned? My swim still SUX...I'm getting faster but my endurance is almost 0 for the swim. I just passed up on a sprint tri because the water was 54 degrees, lot of people didn't do it and the ones that did were sorry they did. I'm so bad at the swim I'm really thninking about leaving tri's and training for marathons and duathlons.

I read the book by Hanson about Marathon training, it is excellent and was recommended to me. If ya'll want a faster marathon, you may want to read it.

Our running club/tri club has a guest speaker last night about interval training. He was focusing on the 5k and 10k distances for racing and not marathons and ultras. He said for a 5K you need to be running 30 miles per week, 10K 50 - 60 miles per week. He said you needed to do 1 day of intervals which is approximately 10% of your weekly mileage, 1 day of tempo runs, 1 long slow day and the rest of the days solid mileage. He was 52 years old, still competitive, went to the Air Force Academy and was on their running team, set several course records around here for his age.

We are fortunate to have folks like that here. We also had a silver medal olympian speak and he lives here in town. He ran the 1 mile race in the Olympics and whle training, would run 100 - 110 miles per week training to run the 1 mile race.

2014-03-18 8:16 AM

User image

Regular
Pueblo, Colorado
Don't beat yourself up too much about the swim. Just continue to practice steady and the endurance will come. As someone who came to swimming later in life, I just try to be good enough to have some strength left for the bike and run. Those sound like some interesting guest speakers that you had. I just can't imagine putting that much run volume in. Even when I did my 50 miler last year, I had maybe one week above 40 miles (granted, I was on the way low end for volume). Of course, I'm not in the Olympics either!
2014-03-18 7:17 PM
in reply to: BrotherTri

1st Race of the Year Complete! Great Fun Weekend at the Shamrock 8k and Half Marathon

I completed my first race for the season this past weekend at the 2014 Yuengling Shamrock Marathon Weekend in Virginia Beach. Great fun for the whole family. On Saturday I ran/walked the 8k with my 17 and 9 year old boys. Good early morning fun and beautiful sight watching the sun rise over the Atlantic. Even though I told the boys to take it easy my 9 yr old took off like a bandit for the first half mile and enjoyed a nice walk until the last 1/4 mile when he sprinted to the finish. He was super excited about his medal.

On Sunday I ran the 1/2 marathon. I was super concerned about not having log any serious miles during the train up (nothing longer than 6 miles) so I decided to experiment with a 4 to 1 run/walk ratio. I was pleasantly surprised with the results 2:09:36. Not a PR but with in the range of my 2 previous half marathons with really good train ups. When I signed up for the Shamrock I was planning on breaking under 2hrs but weather and a few nagging injuries derailed my training. Overall I'm pleased with the results given the circumstances.

The race was well organized and the weather held pretty good for both races; however the temperature dropped and wind picked up on the marathoners. Flat course. I would run this race again. I just have to adjust my expectations based on getting solid training in in this area for a race so early in the season.

Note: As with the rest of the country this has been the worst winter for this area in years so its probably not all that likely weather during a train up for this race will be as bad in the future (fingers crossed).

Now off to my 1st Sprint Triathlon in two weeks; Smithfield Tri. Hope I can get some time in on the bike.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » BrotherTri’s - Triathlon Training Support Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 13

RELATED POSTS

Power Mentor Group with Shane & Marc - Closed. Pages: 1 ... 70 71 72 73

Started by marcag
Views: 98222 Posts: 1816

2014-06-10 2:42 PM cdkayak

Shane's (gsmacleod) Coaching Mentor Group - Open Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5

Started by gsmacleod
Views: 15727 Posts: 116

2014-05-14 7:37 AM Dominion

Birkierunner's (Jim Kelley) General + Long Course Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 28934 Posts: 415

2014-05-16 9:06 AM Birkierunner

Slornow and Wannabefaster's Winter Group version 3-CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 72 73 74 75

Started by slornow
Views: 60152 Posts: 1862

2014-05-16 5:48 PM GoldenSprocket

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 14, 2011
author : Kyle Pawlaczyk
comments : 0
A disappointing start to the season need not set the tone.

date : September 14, 2008
author : Team BT
Receive online triathlon coaching via our forums, personal coaching through an affiliated coach or nutrition coaching from our certified nutritionist.
date : October 2, 2007
author : docgill
Is it possible for loners to work in a small group and still have plenty of time on their own? Training in small groups can give many benefits.

date : May 1, 2006
author : Team BT
The day of the triathlon was one of the best days of my life. I felt strong and healthy. Lots of friends and family came to cheer me on. The support was overwhelming.
date : November 27, 2005
author : Rich Strauss
Tri clubs offer all of us, from beginner to advanced athlete, a venue in which we can realign our perspective of what “fast” and “far” are, pushing us to new and greater heights of performance.

date : May 9, 2005
author : mikericci
Athletes should have completed at least one Olympic distance triathlon or swim 500 yards consecutively / bike 15 mile consecutively / run 3 miles consecutively.
date : May 9, 2005
author : mikericci
Sprint distance athletes should have completed 1-3 sprints and/or be able to swim 200 yards consecutively / bike 8 mile consecutively / run 1.5 miles consecutively.

date : August 31, 2004
author : Ron
Access to more articles, full training log features, an entire detailed training plan library and plan support - plus many additional perks.