General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Need better seat for trainer!!!! Pain shortening rides! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-12-18 9:43 PM

User image

Subject: Need better seat for trainer!!!! Pain shortening rides!
Hey guys and gals, I need help BADLY!

I recently got my first trainer, a Qubo Fluid, which I really like a lot because I can ride in the winter now.

I'm having serious issues with crotch/taint region pain now, something I never had even on 30 mile rides through the summer and fall. I'm thinking that I may need to switch my standard seat out for something a little cushier since I don't have as much freedom to move as I do when out on the road.

Any suggestions, preferably not overly expensive ones LOL

2013-12-19 1:45 AM
in reply to: Hypsy13

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
Subject: RE: Need better seat for trainer!!!! Pain shortening rides!
A softer seat may sound like a good idea, but be very careful… too soft of a seat and you lose the support you need. Ideally, you should be supported by your sit bones, and a softer seat allows you to sink in hence losing the contact points and now supported by the soft tissue, hence pain over longer time.Too soft is not good, just as a rock solid saddle may be too much of a point contact, hence pain...

With all that said… bike fit is a very common cause of poor saddle fit. It may not be your saddle at all… Have you had a proper bike fit? If not, start with that. Saddles are highly personal (the most personal of all contact points), so what works for one person may not work for another.

Personally, I really like John Cobb's saddles. My wife has a V-flow and I have a V-flow Plus on our tri bikes. On my road bike, I use Prologo Scratch Nack.
2013-12-19 5:51 PM

User image

Veteran
Hudson Valley
My butt hurts too, even though I am using the same bike I logged 2 hr rides on the road with no discomfort. Much of the pain you feel is from your body's natural movements against a rigid system of bike+trainer. On the road, your bike has a slight sway on every pedal stroke so the pelvis tends to remain the same contact angle with the seat. On a trainer the pelvis slides much more or every stroke.

Here's what you can do: 10 minute warmup seated. The main workout is to pedal while standing for 2-3 miutes, and then sit for 3-2 minutes. Alternating positions like this over the course of an hour gives your body time to recover while while still getting a good workout.
2013-12-19 9:07 PM
in reply to: Six000MileYear

User image

I haven't had a full fitting done yet, I haven't been able to afford it, but I plan to before my first triathlon this spring. I got my seat adjusted to me when I bought the bike by the shop, but I think I need a full fitting.

I will have to try that alternating method. It's hard for me to ride standing while on a trainer, but if it allows me to keep training it's worth getting used to!
2013-12-20 8:14 AM

User image

Veteran
Illinois
What you are experiencing is pretty typical. There is lots of dynamic movement while riding, and the trainer is very static, which tends to compound discomfort. There's also the boredom factor, which lets your mind wander and focus on the discomfort - things you don't tend to notice on a 6% grade descent or a 500 foot climb.

The biggest issue is that saddle fitment is a very personal experience. I ride an ISM Adamo Prologue, which is great for me, but a friend of my tried it and hated it, and I, in turn, hated his Fi'zi:k Arione.

Talk to your local shop about test saddles. There's a few places online that will do test saddles as well, with a credit if you keep it.

There's always Performance Bike, with their great return policy - buy a saddle, try it, and return it if you don't like it.
2013-12-20 9:34 AM

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington

Try standing up more often. Like every 10 minutes.

2013-12-20 11:53 AM

User image

Master
Nashville, TN
love my cobb or adamo saddle
2013-12-20 1:13 PM
in reply to: cxk9758

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

I went through three or four seats before finding one that I was really comfortable with.  I lot of this is just trial and error until you find what works for you.

2013-12-24 11:22 AM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

So I found a seat that gets me past 5 miles!

I went to Performance and they had a few with the "zero pressure zone cutouts" that were on sale, so I grabbed a Pro XFR for $40 to test out.

I just finished a quick 5 mile ride to test it out, and ZERO discomfort! SO HAPPY! NOW FOR 10 MILES!
2013-12-25 7:06 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Happy to hear. I had same issue, I could barely get past 45 minutes - my pain was not my butt but crotch and I would get completely numb. I got a Romin saddle from Specialized which has been great for me. In the shop they would measure your butt size so you get the right size saddle too.

Just in case you need it later:
http://www.specialized.com/fi/en/ftb/saddles/roadtriathlon-saddles

Edited by knuta99 2013-12-25 7:07 AM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Need better seat for trainer!!!! Pain shortening rides! Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

need advice on bike seat

Started by Artist
Views: 674 Posts: 4

2010-02-28 9:18 AM Artist

Need a 31.6 forward Seat Post

Started by benracin
Views: 912 Posts: 6

2009-07-14 2:58 PM hockeyhands

seat post - need to move forward

Started by meepx2
Views: 991 Posts: 9

2008-04-29 3:26 PM meepx2

Finding a Seat .. Easing the Pain

Started by PinkTriathlete
Views: 1003 Posts: 9

2007-11-07 10:56 AM LaurenSU02

OK people which is a good seat

Started by the_patagonian
Views: 1125 Posts: 18

2006-05-17 4:27 PM sappho96
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 22, 2012
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 1
Confused about how much protein you need, when you need it, and the best kinds of protein? The following article answers some of the questions active people commonly ask about protein.

date : November 28, 2011
author : juliapurr
comments : 0
Bored out of your mind or watching a movie? Amp it up on the bike trainer.
date : January 27, 2011
author : Mark Sunderland
The no-excuses guide to riding outdoors in snow, wind, ice and darkness. Bring it on!

date : February 22, 2010
author : AMSSM
I've seen posts on chronic achilles pain, but nothing on recovery from surgery. I don't know the difference between the good pain and the bad when training.
date : June 22, 2006
author : Team BT
Seated Biceps Curl - Dumbbell strength exercise instruction with picture and video.

date : June 21, 2006
Seated Crunch-Twist strength exercise instruction with picture and video.
date : June 21, 2006
Seated Row Machine-Overhand Grip strength exercise instruction with picture and video

date : June 18, 2006
Seated row machine strength exercise instruction with picture and video