General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Rev 3 Williamsburg Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-12-19 12:54 PM

User image

Veteran
Carolina Beach
Subject: Rev 3 Williamsburg
I'm looking for some feedback on the Rev3 in Williamsburg. I'm thinking about putting this race on the calander for 2014. I was also thinking about turning it into a family vacation as well. Does anyone have any opinions on the race as well as suggestions on rental properties in the area that are close to the race and are family friendly? I know for sure it would be at least 4 people, potentially as many as 11 of us staying for a week. I know there are a lot of timeshares in the area so we would not mind having 2 condo's vs. 1 big house as long as they are in the same "resort'. I think anyplace with a pool would make my children happy. Thanks in advance for any help!

2013-12-19 1:30 PM
in reply to: Wojo14

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC
Subject: RE: Rev 3 Williamsburg
2013-12-19 1:39 PM

User image

Regular
Virginia

I did the Olympic last year.  I will tell you, the logistics were a bit of a mess, but I attribute this mostly to it being the first year.  Here were the 2 big problems I saw:

1.  There are two different transition areas, so in the morning, everyone had to drop off gear at T2 and ride a shuttle bus to the swim start/T1 area.  It is about 8 miles down to the swim start, I think.  There weren't enough buses, so there was a looooooong line waiting to ride to the swim start, resulting in many people just barely making it in time for their swim.  Very stressful.

2.  After the swim, racers were to leave their wetsuits and swim stuff in a bag at T1, and Rev3 was going to transport these bags back to the finish line so that you could re-claim your wetsuit after the race.  What they didn't account for was that there were many road closures due to the race, and therefore the traffic trying to get back to the race finish was impossible.  So, they couldn't get the bags back to the finish area, and everyone had to wait around for several hours after the race to get their stuff.

I am told that these issues are being addressed for next year and will not happen again.  I am willing to give it another shot--I like the course, and it is a nice time of year to be in Williamsburg.  I can't speak to timeshares, but I will tell you that there is a Great Wolf Lodge there that is a huge waterpark resort.  That would be great for a family.  It isn't cheap, though, so be warned.  Busch Gardens and Water Country USA are also good family activities.

2013-12-19 1:50 PM

User image

Elite

in a word, ugh.  It was a horribly run race, but it was a first year race.  I was there and ready to board the shuttle at 5:30, with my wave at 6:50.  The line was about 3 blocks long b/c they were letting EVERYONE on, spectators and Olympic folks, that were going 15 minutes after all the half people went.  I finally boarded at 6:30 (yes an hour later) and then threw on my wetsuit and sprinted to the beach, getting there right at 6:40.  Well, lo and behold they delayed the race 30 minutes but didn't communicate that to anyone.  That was about the most stressed out I've ever been prerace.

Then, they had us swim in a triangular pattern.  Halfs were to go out to the farthest buoy, which was a little past what the Oly people did.  The oly people were starting 15 minutes after and swimming a shorter triangle.  Needless to say, it was a perfect storm of everyone hitting the second to last buoy on the way back b/c the half people met up with the Oly people. Worse was that people in the half were also just swimming the Oly course and no one stopped them b/c who could tell??

The run was not my favorite.  Two loops, with each loop doing an out and back and passing by the finish line 3 times. 

I have also done Patriots half in Williamsburg and that was immensely better. I'm sure the race will be better this year, but it was abysmal last year.

2013-12-19 2:07 PM
in reply to: turtlegirl

User image

Regular
Washington, DC
Agree with the other abysmal reviews of the race -- I did the Olympic and the whole experience was extremely stressful. Rev3 is a great company and I'm sure they will fix the inaugural issues, but I personally don't plan to do the race next year despite its proximity to me. I'll wait and see what happens next year.

That aside though, great place to visit, especially with kids. My parents took me there when I was little and we stayed at the Great Wolf Lodge and I still remember how much fun we had there.
2013-12-19 2:14 PM

User image

Regular
Newport News
There have been other Olympic and Half I lengths done right from the Jamestown Beach location and a single transition. I believe the organizer wanted to get Colonial Williamsburg into the race course. As others ahave pointed out, traffic can be a problem with a race going on. Rev 3 should think about just using the one tranisition area and make it a killer race.

2013-12-19 2:15 PM
in reply to: meggfishy

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

i've never done a HIM but as a local, I would pick patriot's over rev3 any day.  patriots has the same swim course, a bike course out in the country, and a run course that isn't mind-numbingly boring (where i did many of my long runs while marathon training).  it's run by setup which is smaller but this event is one of their most popular and well run.  and the sprint is on a different day!  september also has much better weather.  generally hot by run time, but not nearly as hot as june, and water is USUALLY wetsuit legal by race day.  in terms of tourism - busch is still open and less crowded, same with colonial williamsburg, beach is still wonderful (about 1 hour to va beach in september, in june, don't even attempt the drive).  as far as lodging - everything is expensive.  for food - everything is boring.  any chain restaurant you want, you will find it, but that's about it.  for scenery - it's a pretty beautiful place to be.

2013-12-20 7:51 AM
in reply to: mehaner

User image

Veteran
Carolina Beach
Thanks for the input everyone. The timing of the race was one of the big factors in me wanting to do it. I have 2 school age kids and a September race would not work for us due to school. We have no interest in going to Va Beach. We lived in Hampton for a few years (late 1990's) and made that trip a few times and we just didn't care for Va Beach.

I know the frustration of a point to point race. I live in Carolina Beach, NC so my "hometown race" is Beach to Battleship. In the early years when T2 was on Battleship island, it was always a logistical nightmare. I think I may pass on Williamsburg this year and maybe look at the Rev3 in West Virginia. I'm open to suggestions for other 70.3's in June that are within driving distance of Eastern NC.
2013-12-20 9:56 AM

User image

Elite
N Carolina
IM 70.3 Raleigh?
2013-12-20 10:53 AM
in reply to: turtlegirl

User image

Champion
New York, NY
Originally posted by turtlegirl

in a word, ugh.  It was a horribly run race, but it was a first year race.  I was there and ready to board the shuttle at 5:30, with my wave at 6:50.  The line was about 3 blocks long b/c they were letting EVERYONE on, spectators and Olympic folks, that were going 15 minutes after all the half people went.  I finally boarded at 6:30 (yes an hour later) and then threw on my wetsuit and sprinted to the beach, getting there right at 6:40.  Well, lo and behold they delayed the race 30 minutes but didn't communicate that to anyone.  That was about the most stressed out I've ever been prerace.

Then, they had us swim in a triangular pattern.  Halfs were to go out to the farthest buoy, which was a little past what the Oly people did.  The oly people were starting 15 minutes after and swimming a shorter triangle.  Needless to say, it was a perfect storm of everyone hitting the second to last buoy on the way back b/c the half people met up with the Oly people. Worse was that people in the half were also just swimming the Oly course and no one stopped them b/c who could tell??

The run was not my favorite.  Two loops, with each loop doing an out and back and passing by the finish line 3 times. 

I have also done Patriots half in Williamsburg and that was immensely better. I'm sure the race will be better this year, but it was abysmal last year.

all of this

I waited for a shuttle and almost missed my start. barely had time to get swimskin on (elected not to wear a wetsuit). Some spots the roads were not well marshalled - almost got hit twice.

and then waited for HOURS for my T1 bags which meant I hit MAJOR traffic leaving.

NEVER AGAIN for me
2013-12-20 11:01 AM
in reply to: japarker24

User image

Elite

Originally posted by japarker24 IM 70.3 Raleigh?
  That is already sold out!  there are really no HIMs in August that I know of...not IM 70.3 anyways, other than the one in Michigan.  I for one would love more race options in July and August.  As a teacher I can't do races in September really either unless they are driveable.

2013-12-20 2:20 PM

User image

Regular
Virginia

Update:

I just saw that they posted the course maps for the "improved" race this year.  They moved T2 to a park with athletic fields that is a bit away from Colonial Williamsburg.  However, the courses are now a major downgrade, in my opinion.  The bike has a long portion on Route 60, which is a pretty major road.  Not sure if they are closing a traffic lane or what, but that will be an interesting ride.

Also, the run for the half distance is now 4 loops.  Yes, you read that correctly.

2013-12-20 4:08 PM
in reply to: 0

If you are concerned about trying Rev 3 until you see whether the kinks from last year are worked out for this year, there is a race at Lake Logan in Canton, NC in August that had been recommended to me when I was looking for an August Oly distance in GA/SC/NC/VA area, for 2014 they have added a 70.3 distance. I have heard from numerous people this is a nice race - beautiful scenery, yet not terribly hot despite being August due to the location, wetsuit legal swim. The location isn't too far from the Asheville area which could be a nice vacation spot with the family.

http://www.setupevents.com/?fuseaction=event_detail&eventID=2599

Edited by vettegirlhw 2013-12-20 4:10 PM
2013-12-21 7:40 AM
in reply to: MCA

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

Originally posted by MCA

Update:

I just saw that they posted the course maps for the "improved" race this year.  They moved T2 to a park with athletic fields that is a bit away from Colonial Williamsburg.  However, the courses are now a major downgrade, in my opinion.  The bike has a long portion on Route 60, which is a pretty major road.  Not sure if they are closing a traffic lane or what, but that will be an interesting ride.

Also, the run for the half distance is now 4 loops.  Yes, you read that correctly.

the bike course is a big improvement, i think.  more of the roads local cyclists actually use, and out of the way of tourism and traffic.  that stretch of 60 is 4 lanes and very low traffic.

the run course.....wow.  talk about torture.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Rev 3 Williamsburg Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Rev3 Quassy vs Williamsburg

Started by drdking
Views: 790 Posts: 6

2013-02-06 3:31 PM Nipper

Visiting Williamsburg, VA

Started by htodman
Views: 829 Posts: 4

2012-09-08 4:37 PM htodman

Patriot's Half Iron Man (Williamsburg)