BT Development Mentor Program Archives » KiterChick's beginner friendly group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 11

2014-01-02 10:38 PM
in reply to: KJ-Sutts

User image

Subject: RE: KiterChick's beginner friendly group - OPEN
I started day one of training today! I am using the oly training plan here on beginnertraithlete, with matching the distances given at http://www.trinewbies.com/tno_trainingprograms/tno_10wOly.asp.Not feeling the greatest, so I just walked and mixed in some strength training, but at least I got out there! It feels great to actually start working towards the goal!
For those who have difficulty swimming, just some advice that I have picked up while being a life-long competitive swimmer and lifeguard:
Don't worry too much about how your feet and arms should look, just do what feels natural. Swimming really comes from the core of the body, especially the hips, and not really the hands and feet. Think about what you are focusing on while swimming, and really try to use the strength from your core, this will help your endurance. This will feel weird at first, but will improve your swimming. It also helps to make sure your hips are right at the surface of the water as you are moving, along with your legs. This is more difficult for men, but practice floating at the water surface so you can move through the water more efficiently.
For open-water, it is very different from the pool. Find a stroke (mine is breast), that you can turn to that can keep your face out of the water so you can take a moment to breathe to calm yourself while in the open water. Seaweed freaks me out for some reason, so I did my first tri crawlstroke. Nothing wrong with that, as long as you are moving forward!

Now, my weakness is the running. Any advice here? I have absolutely no endurance, I can't even run one lap around a track. I do like to walk, and have taken to fast-walking instead of running, but I would like to get into it. I also have a huge problem with shin splints the day after a run. Any advice would be much appreciated!

Best of luck to my new tri-friends! For those of you affected by the weather, be safe and best wishes!
-Janae

2014-01-03 4:25 PM
in reply to: #4922730

User image

Sarah,

Mainly limited by the simple fact that until November I could not crawl at all. Can swim a mile breast stroke, but am having to learn to crawl.
Back to the pool on Monday, will let you know how I go.
2014-01-03 11:35 PM
in reply to: jjcougs

Hi Janae,

Thanks for the swimming tips, I am definitely very nervous about the swim component.

However, I am a decent runner, so I'll do my best to answer your questions. I have never had shin splints personally but my running buddy did and hers stemmed entirely from wearing the wrong running shoes. Can also be caused by old running shoes that are worn out, running shoes really only last 6 months if you are running regularly; I always know when my shoes are starting to get "old" because I feel it in my knees but some people get shin splints. If your shoes are new, is it possible they just aren't the right fit for you? Did you get a gait analysis done at an actual running store? It can do wonders to help you find the correct shoe. If you haven't gone through this, I would recommend you try to see if it helps.

As for getting started in running, you need to start small. When I started running 7 years ago, I was a total couch potato, I started running intervals. I started week one running 1 minute and walking for 2; then week two run 1 walk 1; week three run 2 walk 1...and you carry on increasing each week until you can run continuously (although I still run 10min walk 1). This approach takes longer to build up, but you are able to build a good solid run foundation. If you can already run 3 minutes start there and build from there...start where you are comfortable. One of the reasons I find swimming so hard is that it seems so technical...if you aren't doing it right you expel too much energy. Running isn't technical...it's mental. You've got to stick with it...the first 5-10 minutes of any run is going to feel harder...then once you settle in to a pace and your breathing regulates you get into a groove and it is much easier...but you still have to be mentally tough to keep going. As for breathing, you need to focus on deep almost calm breathing so you don't start breathing too shallow and start feeling like your out of breath and can't go on. Obviously there is an endurance component to the breathing...but if you are a good swimmer you already have it...you just need to find your pace for running and focus on the breathing.

I hope this helps?

Lacey
2014-01-04 6:01 AM

User image

Janae,

I started running late 2012 and I found the couch to 5K app for my iPhone a great way to get to 5km. Run walk plan, but all on the phone so did not have to think about it!

There are lots of ones out there.

Andy
2014-01-04 9:00 AM
in reply to: #4923675

I'd second what Andy said. Prior to couch to 5k I was a total couch potato. You can also find the plan written out online if needed.
2014-01-04 9:51 AM
in reply to: #4923951

Leesburg, VA
Count me in! I'll be back later tonight to post an intro and read through the thread.

2014-01-04 10:04 AM
in reply to: #4923971

User image

Thanks everyone for the advice! I will try some new shoe advice, as I have never had my gait tested. Interesting! And for running I will work on my endurance with short spirts and build up. Have a great weekend, everyone!
2014-01-04 2:44 PM
in reply to: tri-ingnewthings

User image

Veteran
Boston, MA
Hi everyone! Welcome to Carolyn, Omne38103 and Kristina. So far, the group is still open, so you're definitely welcome to join!

Carolyn, you definitely had a lot of questions, which is great. I know some others have already weighed in (which is also great!), but here are my thoughts to fill in any potential holes:

1. Is a gym membership the best way to prepare for a triathlon, especially when training in the winter months? If you want to work on swimming, then definitely yes. I'll be rejoining a gym this coming week so that I can have pool access. I'll also be using the treadmill for runs. I LOATHE them, but it's going to be icy around here. I'm also not sure what your bike situation is. If you don't have a trainer, then you'll probably want to take spin classes, which would also make the gym helpful. I actually don't use the gym much when it's not winter though. I'd much rather exercise outside when I can, so you could think about just getting one for winter, but ditching it if you feel comfortable outside when things warm up.

2. What gear do I need for a triathlon? The mountain bike and one piece swimsuit are both totally fine. There are all kinds of bikes at sprints! If you love the sport and want to get a road or tri bike later, that's fine, but don't worry about it now. As for the swimsuit, that's fine for the swim, but keep in mind that it may make the next steps uncomfortable. You'd either have to bike and run with it on or figure out a way to change during transition. This is why a lot of people wear tri shorts and a top or a tri suit. Then you can bike and run in them.

3. How hard is it to learn swimming as an adult? Do you not know how to swim at all? If so, I'm not sure, but I'm sure it's doable. I knew how to swim, but didn't know how to do breathing, sighting, etc. I'm still not great, but I can do those much better than before, so, as with anything, you'll pick it up with practice. If you can get a lesson though, that would be a good idea.

4. What type of diet is recommended for sprint training? Being a pescatarian should be fine; there's vegan triathletes at the IM level. Honestly, for sprint training, you probably aren't going to be doing long enough workouts that would require you to make any drastic changes to your diet. Just try to eat healthy, maybe get in a protein containing snack after workouts (apple with PB, chocolate milk, etc.) and you should be good to go. I don't take in any nutrition while I'm racing for sprints, so if you chose to do so, it's really only if it makes you feel better and not because you need to.

5. As a beginner, should I sign up for the easier super sprint or the sprint, both of which are Aug. 24? August is quite a while away so feel free to sign up for the regular sprint if that's what you'd prefer to do. If you'd feel more comfortable starting with the smaller one though, that's fine too. Point is, you should be able to do whichever one you'd like!

Okay, now onto everyone else...

KJ - You're definitely working out enough days for a super sprint. If you'd like a better idea of how you should structure your workouts, you could look for training plans on this site. They have good beginner ones and even if you don't want to follow them strictly, they'll give you an idea of what type of workouts would be beneficial. If you're worried about transitions (change overs) you can practice those too. It's all a part of training. As for the swim, if you feel uncomfortable with all the people, you can always start near the back.. Then you won't have people swimming over you from behind at least!

Melissa - You definitely brought up a good point about sighting; this is definitely something that everyone should practice if possible. There's no pool lines in a lake! Just out of curiosity, what is the MLM nonsense 24 day challenge? I've never heard of that. Also, watch out for that resetting treadmill - scary!

Kristina - You must live near me! I did Title 9 last year and in 2011 and I love that race. I've done a lot of their other races too, so if you're considering doing any others, let me know if you have any questions. Which Oly are you thinking of doing? You mentioned traveling for that one.

Okay, hopefully I got everything for now. Got to head out to get ready for me and my boyfriend's anniversary dinner. Yay! Talk soon!
2014-01-04 2:46 PM
in reply to: KiterChick

User image

Veteran
Boston, MA
Awww, nuts, I just realized I didn't reply to anyone on the second page! I promise I'll get to everyone either tomorrow or Monday. Until then, have a great weekend!
2014-01-04 3:05 PM

Surrey, England
Hi all,

Really good group forming and some interesting comments so far - the gait analysis is particularly interesting as whilst I have no pain at present I have had issues with ankles when running in the past so think I will try this and get some new shoes as mine must be 2-3 years old although only used for running for last 3-4 months.

I know this is a hard question to answer but wonder if those that have done many events (particularly Olympic distance) could provide any thoughts. As stated I am totally new to Triathlon and have reasonable basic level of fitness running 5k comfortably 1-2 times a week in circa 25mins (so quite leisurely but will improve over time I am sure), can cycle 40k comfortably (but not quickly) and whilst useless at front crawl feel this is primarily need to sort my breathing.

Anyway my dilemma is I want to do the Olympic distance event 15th June in Windsor, UK with a sprint in April although this a pool based swim so will have no experience of open water swimming at an Olympic event. I am a little worried whether this is taking on too much too soon. I am keen to train hard and push myself doing the 20wk 2 x Balanced programme from BT http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/training/training-plan...

Do you think this is achievable as I am looking to simply finish but questioning whether a good approach??

Any comments welcome

Andy
2014-01-04 3:09 PM

Hi everyone. If this group is still open, I would love to join.

My name is Crystal. I'm a 33 year old single mom to 4 boys in Kansas. I am brand new to triathlon. I am not new to running. I have completed two half marathons and several shorter races. Tri's are something I've always wanted to do but, to be honest, it terrifies me!!! I will have lots of questions!!

2014-01-04 3:43 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

New user

Hahaha wow, I don't know what kinda of typo/auto-correct happened there - MLM nonsense?! No wonder you were like, "what the heck is that?!" 

What it should have said was MLM nonsense. (Seriously, those 2 things are no where close to each other.)

Anyway, the MLM nonsense 24 day challenge starts with a 10 day cleanse and then 14 day "max phase"

I did it once before, but then multiple vacations and the holidays, it kinda all went to waste. It mostly is just a supplement regimen to go along with a healthy eating program. It emphasis cutting out a lot of processed foods, sugar, white flour, etc. The things we all know aren't really good for you to begin with. So lots of veggies, lean proteins, and whole wheat carbs. Honestly, when I was doing it before, it was the best I have ever felt physically with nutrition. Yet I was struggling to align my nutrition and training all at the same time. But, I am finally feeling on track. So I think this time around it will stick.  

Edited by missyw2you 2014-01-06 3:17 PM
2014-01-04 6:00 PM

User image

To Andy, and anyone else worried about the open swim,

Andy, to me, based on your fitness abilities, a sprint or Olympic triathlon is very do-able! You will just need to work on endurance in all three events, and the transitions (which you never think about, but I would practice getting out of a wet suit and into your biking gear without drying off before the event, or biking with your swim gear on, as this is what you will have to do during the event). I think it is a great goal to work towards!

For swimming, try to practice at a pool when it is busy, or in the lane near the wall, as this will create more waves for you to practice breathing in choppy water. I also recommend swimming in open water before the race, too, if possible. Get used to cold, dark water where you cannot see the bottom, unless you live somewhere lucky! I am totally comfortable in pool water, but get me in a lake or ocean, and I am not as comfortable. Just take a deep breath, and get your stroke on a good pace. I usually swim crawl for a few strokes, and if you can crawl with your head forward to get alignment, or tread water, that will save you from zig-zagging (it is useful to practice this in a pool too). As stated, during the race, it will be helpful to stay in the back a bit to let the crazies go ahead, and find someone who is swimming at your pace to follow just behind to keep you mentally there and to follow the course. Know the goggles you will be using, and get comfortable with them before the race so you won't be fiddling with them in the water. To help with fogging, spit in your goggles before they get wet, this helps.

As I have said before, swimming power really comes from the hips. So make sure your hips are moving and focus on these while swimming. Also, it sounds weird, but you have to IMAGINE yourself moving forward in the water, it will help! If you think too much about technicality and not the moving forward, you will be staying in one spot.

Swimming is just my most comfortable sport, so any advice I can give, let me know. Open water is like rough pool swimming, but you know how to swim, so just take it one bit at a time. Remember to breathe OUT and in. Once you get comfortable swimming the the pool, when you take rests don't do them at the wall- tread water instead. This will help you practice for when you need to take a break during the race but no wall to rest on.

Best of luck to everyone training!
-Janae
2014-01-04 6:49 PM

User image

Hi, I'd like to join too!

I'm Carolyn, and I've been a duathlete for a couple of years, racing as the bike portion only of a relay. I ran a very slow half marathon last year and a very fast (for me) 5K last month. I decided I needed to face my fear of the water and suck it up, so I made a goal of completing an IM before age 50. I have 3 years to do this.

I did 1 sprint tri last fall and doggie paddled my way to being last out of the water. My goal was to not drown, so I was thrilled!

I joined the Masters Swim Team and am learning how to swim properly for the first time. Santa gave me a KK Fluid Trainer, so my biking will get even stronger.

This year I have an Oly tri in May, and half IM distance in September. I have the time to train and I have an amazing support system at home and at my gym, so as long as I stay on track...They are both insanely hilly courses, and it makes no sense that I chose those 2 tris, except that I need to be challenged.

My downfall is tequila and anything with caramel sauce.

I've been searching for training programs that I can understand and I think for my Oly, I'll do the 3x Balanced 16 wk program here. After that race, I'll switch over to the half IM 16 week program, after an appropriate amount of rest.

My biggest fears(other than drowning) are injuries and believing some of the voices in my head telling me I've bitten off more than I can chew.

I'm a retired police officer and work part time in the fitness field.

Nice to meet everyone.

Edited by chuff920 2014-01-05 6:50 AM
2014-01-04 8:27 PM
in reply to: chuffman

User image

Hi everyone

Some great posts to read with lots of information

Sarah - I'm doing 10k next month, 15k in March and the San Diego Safari 1/2 marathon in May - I'm gradually increasing my mileage each week !

I'm going to join the Tri Club of San Diego as they seems to have great training sessions and run a few local tris to get into. I've found a sprint tri in open water in June plus Olympic length for September.

So my question for everyone is I'm a natural breast stroke swimmer -I've had lessons for crawl but I struggle with the breathing. Is it going to be a hindrance to the event if I breast stroke at the back ? Can I do this stroke at 70.3 length or am I best to persevere with crawl ?

Have a great Sunday everyone - tomorrow is cycling day - planning on some mileage and hills

Jan
2014-01-05 12:14 AM

Hello everyone. I would like to join your group as well.
My name is Erica and my husband and I have been planning to try a triathlon for several years. I started running about 3 yrs ago. I am not very consistant, but have raced in plenty of 5ks and in 2 half marathons.
I purchased a trek bike last year and began biking for the first time in many years. I am still not very comfortable on the bike.
I am planning to join the pool at a local community college to start practicing for swimming.
Running is my strength. Swimming is my weakest sport.
I am so nervous, but excited to finally do this after talking about it for the past 3 years.
I as m planning to do a Sprint triathlon in June. It is the Sunfish triathlon in Meridian, MS.
Looking forward to working together to meet our goals individually but also kinda together too.

2014-01-05 12:38 AM

Hi Everyone! I would really like to join this group. Looking forward to meeting people who are possibly going through the same things as me and/or already have been. Support for my success is huge.

I am happily married and have two kiddos.

As far as my experience? I'm a newbie! I am already signed up for a triathlon in early June.

I've done some 5Ks but that is about it. I will have lots of questions, be looking for advice and motivation.

The swimming is kind of scaring me. I'm actually using Total Immersion to retrain myself. I also am trying to run outside in this Midwest winter. I can't stand the dreadmill.

Bring on the training!
2014-01-05 10:10 AM

Leesburg, VA
Soooo.. I'm back! My name is Alexis. I'm newish to tri - I've done one previously and looking to do more/move up to a new distance. I'm currently training for an ultra (50K) with the intention on doing a 50m by year's end. Hopefully, I can leverage some of that (would-be) running fitness into a couple tri's. I'm thinking it should be easy enough. Unfortunately, I'm not a big swim/bike fan but I can muddle through :-)

I joined this group to bring some accountability to my training and to commiserate with other like-minded athletes. Hope to check in semi-regularly, but I do work a demaning job and sometimes struggle just to fit in the training.

I'm a 35 y.o. mom of one boy.

Cheers!

Alexis
2014-01-05 3:40 PM

Surrey, England
Hi Janae,

Thanks for your information, really helpful and will certainly bear tips in mind when I get started on the swimming side of things and may take you up on kind offer to ask further questions then.

I have just signed up for a free 2 week trial at a Tri Club (Thames Turbo) that are very local and have a great reputation with a number of high profile racers at Kona. They offer coached sessions in swim (pool and open water), running (track based) and a general long cycle weekly so I have taken the decision to cancel gym membership so see out next few months as cost is less than third of gym membership and find it so dull on running machine/bike.

I have signed up for a Sprint on 21/4 and is amazing how focused you suddenly become as having a structured training plan in place and "real" goals suddenly makes it so much more exciting than one day I may do a Triathlon.

So much so that ran 5k today in 24min 29secs - 40 secs faster than previously so heading in right direction.

Just got to keep it going whilst weather is so rubbish!!

Andrew
2014-01-05 5:02 PM

User image

New user

My internet went all crazy for a minute. is there any way to delete a post? haha

Sorry for that blank post.

I wanted to reply to Chuff920 -- Carolyn! I LOVE my kurt kinetic trainer. And caramal. :D

Biking is my strongest/favorite of the 3. My swimming is getting better and I tend to struggle through on the running.

I did a 2 hour trainer ride yesterday and today was a rest day. This coming week is a recovery week for me. Considering how good I am feeling after my heaviest week so far last week, I'm a little bummed to cut back. But I know that's how training works. Can't go full force all the time. Otherwise --- burn out.

I hope everyone had a nice weekend.

Bring on Monday!

Edited by missyw2you 2014-01-05 5:17 PM
2014-01-05 5:40 PM

User image

Thanks so much for the excellent advice, Sarah! I really need pool access, so it looks like a gym membership will be best during the winter months, at least. I'm so grateful to you for the feedback. I'm happy to have found such a great group via this mentor program. :-) I look forward to supporting everyone!

2014-01-05 5:47 PM

User image

Veteran
Spokane
Hello everyone, I'd like to join the group , I hope there's still room. Here's my Bio.

55 years old, married with three kids, 35, 33, 31 and seven grand kids 6, 5, 4, 4, 3, 2, and 1 with six girls and one lonely boy. I live in Spokane Washington, the North East corner of Washington about 90 miles south of the Canadian border.

This will be my fifth tri season. The first two seasons went well with 4 or five sprints each year and a half marathon at the end of the season. The half was farther than I'd run before and I ended up with Achilles tendinitis, I kept pushing the training and suffered through the pain until my first tri the next season, June 2012, in Missoula Montana which had some very steep hills. I tore up the Achilles pretty bad and lost the rest of the season with no running for six months then slowly built up mileage and cautiously did three tris last season. I'm still pretty careful but have been training all off season and haven't had any real problem., so I'm looking forward to this season.

Current training. Three runs a week 5, 4, 3 and three bikes 20, 16, 10 and two swims 1600 and 1000, and depending on my work schedule I try and squeeze another 1000 swim in during lunch, I live and work 10 minutes from the Y.

I'm 6'2" right now and weigh 212 this morning. I've been racing at around 200-205, but want to get to 190 this year, hopefully by June 1st.

Gene
2014-01-05 8:19 PM
in reply to: missyw2you

User image

Hi missyw2you,

So far, I'm loving my trainer too. I used to ride on the roads with no problem in any weather, but people around here have gotten really crazy angry against bikers recently, and I'm convinced some are out to teach us a lesson.

So today was day 1 of my training plan and I added in a 1 mile swim to make up for a missed class yesterday. This swimming thing is hard! Especially, when I get contradictory information from experienced swimmers/coaches. "Legs should be straight" "Power comes from the hip" "It's all in your feet." I'm on information overload.
2014-01-05 9:39 PM

User image

Hi Sarah!
My name is Daniela. I would like to join your group.

A little bit about me. I've been running for 4 years, and basically have trained about 10 months out of the year to maintain fitness, and because I like racing A LOT. I'm definitely not fast, but I've been disciplined enough to go from my 1st marathon ending at 5:03 to my 5th one ending at 4:31, something I'm super happy about.
So far I've run 14 half marathons and 5 marathons. In my bucket list I have listed to complete an IM before I'm 40 (I'll be 37 this year), so I finally bought a bike and signed up for my 1st tri, a sprint, in June. I was a competitive swimmer growing up, so no issues there, but the bike is my weak link, so I'm a bit nervous about it -hehe-.
Currently putting the training plan together (found some great ones here) and merging them with my marathon training.

2014 races: Platte River 1/2 Marathon in April, Colfax Marathon in May, Boulder Sprint Tri in June, ET Midnight 51K in August. (I'm sure there will be more, but that covers my favorite distances (in running)

I'm excited to pick out your brain about efficient ways of training for 3 sports!
Thanks.

Cheers to a great 2014 training season!
2014-01-05 10:58 PM

User image

I want to join! Please

NAME: MKE_Tree / You can call me Tree!

STORY: I've had a crazy past year and a half. Without going into too many details, I'm so much healthier now emotionally and physically, and I am ready to be AWESOME. I've never been an athlete. But in April I started walking/running. I recently moved to a new city and there are so many beautiful trails and parks and I thought I should take advantage of them, so I started jogging. I didn't want to throw off my groove with the cold weather approaching, so in October I joined a gym and started exercising routinely because I decided that I want to get strong and be FIT. Recently decided to do a Sprint Triathlon, because why not?

FAMILY STATUS: Single!

CURRENT TRAINING: Working on all disciplines, hitting the gym 5x a week. Trying to build up my endurance in all areas before starting an official 12 week training program.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: I did three 5ks. Mostly walked one. Mostly ran one. And entirely ran one. Time was 34 minutes, so not great, but I'm proud of myself for running one completely.

2014 RACES: Doing a Sprint Triathlon in July. Not sure which one yet. Joining with a group of co-workers.

WEIGHTLOSS: 20lbs about a year ago. Maintained ever since. Would like to lose 10 more.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MEMBER: I'm a positive person. Seeking support and looking to give it as well.

Edited by MKE_Tree 2014-01-07 6:41 PM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » KiterChick's beginner friendly group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 11

RELATED POSTS

Todd's Tri Turtles 2 (Beginner, Sprint, 5K, 10 K) - Closed Pages: 1 ... 30 31 32 33

Started by Hunting Triathlete
Views: 36895 Posts: 803

2014-05-18 8:03 AM Hunting Triathlete

Daffodil and JuniperJen’s New Parents Tri’ing Group - OPEN Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14

Started by juniperjen
Views: 23857 Posts: 329

2014-07-12 2:16 PM Happyinmarin

Shane's (gsmacleod) Coaching Mentor Group - Open Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5

Started by gsmacleod
Views: 15722 Posts: 116

2014-05-14 7:37 AM Dominion

Birkierunner's (Jim Kelley) General + Long Course Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 28930 Posts: 415

2014-05-16 9:06 AM Birkierunner

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.

date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips
date : June 14, 2010
author : Oakley
In this Oakley Armchair Session, British triathlete Tim Don talks about a few tips to prepare you for your open water swim.

date : June 11, 2008
author : Team BT
comments : 2
Are you about to race your first triathlon? Here are two great tips on swimming your first open water triathlon race.
date : November 27, 2005
author : Ontherun
For most age-group triathletes, getting the most out of there time for quality workouts can be daunting. Think outside the triangle to get a little more.

date : November 27, 2005
author : Rich Strauss
Tri clubs offer all of us, from beginner to advanced athlete, a venue in which we can realign our perspective of what “fast” and “far” are, pushing us to new and greater heights of performance.
date : June 14, 2005
author : marmadaddy
comments : 17
Once you caught your breath, it occurred to you that finishing even a short triathlon might be harder than you thought. After a few "laps" you thought, "I can't believe I'm so out of shape."

date : September 5, 2004
author : Team BT
The start of the race I had the jitters. I was watching the other age groups start as they seeded the swim with over 1000 participants.