General Discussion Race Reports! » Living History Farms Off Road Race Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Living History Farms Off Road Race - Run

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Urbandale, Iowa
United States
Living History Farms Cross Country Race
15F / -9C
Sunny
Total Time = 55m 29s
Overall Rank = 224/5511
Age Group = M30-34
Age Group Rank = 40/405
Pre-race routine:

This was just for fun, because it's an awesome race! I'm more focused on recovering from a year full of injuries than going all-out at a race, so I tried to take it easy (still managed to tweak a hip injury though). No really hard running or trail running in prep for this race. I drove over from Cedar Falls Friday night and did packey pickup, and just relaxed at the hotel the rest of the night. Managed to avoid the massive traffic jam I ran into the last time I did the race, so I got parked really early this year. So lots of standing around until the start, and let me tell you it was cold. In the low teens and windy too. So that was less than enjoyable. But the atmosphere at the start is just awesome so I didn't mind too much!
Event warmup:

Tried to stay huddled in the crowd at that start to stay as warm as possible. Other than that, not a thing!
Run
  • 55m 29s
  • 7 miles
  • 07m 56s  min/mile
Comments:

I was lined up a bit too far back based on ability, so it was impossible to do much more than shuffle for the first half mile or so. Most of the course was snow and ice covered, particularly some of the hilly twisty sections back in the woods, so that made things interesting. I had a pretty good pace going for the first half or so, but definitely faded badly at the end. The creek crossings were rough with it being so cold, feet were pretty much numb after the second one. The course was half a mile long by my Garmin. But it was great fun!
What would you do differently?:

Nothing really, goal was to have fun and I did!
Post race
Warm down:

Grabbed some awesome beef stew and a donut, and hightailed it to the car right away because it was so cold. I got back to the hotel in time to shower before checkout, and it took a good 10 minutes for my feet to thaw. Pretty much headed home after that.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of speed training and trail running this fall.

Event comments:

Love it every time! I'll definitely be back next year schedule permitting!

Last updated: 2013-11-21 12:00 AM
Running
00:55:29 | 07 miles | 07m 56s  min/mile
Age Group: 40/405
Overall: 224/5511
Performance: Average
Course: Figure 8 with running through corn fields, up and down some pretty steep (for Iowa) hills, with several creek crossings.
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2013-12-19 3:58 PM

User image

Regular
Waterloo
Subject: Living History Farms Off Road Race
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Living History Farms Off Road Race Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Living History Farms Off Road Race

Started by Hubbie
Views: 823 Posts: 1

2011-11-20 10:49 PM Hubbie

Started by BikerGrrrl
Views: 1650 Posts: 2

2009-11-23 9:14 AM jdwright56

Living History Farms XC Race

Started by Noz
Views: 1629 Posts: 2

2008-11-30 10:22 AM lastcall2003

Started by mooremt
Views: 1045 Posts: 1

2008-11-27 3:00 PM mooremt

Living History Farms XC Race

Started by Noz
Views: 1775 Posts: 7

2007-11-19 1:47 PM JohnnyKay
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 11, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Dean from Fitwerx answers a BT member question about what kind of bike should be the "next bike."

date : December 27, 2008
comments : 9
Are you a beginner triathlete? This video will compare triathlon bikes and road bikes to help you figure out what is best for you as you begin your triathlon training.
date : December 15, 2008
comments : 2
I bought a new road bike in April and want to know how to properly maintain it during the season when I'm riding often and during the off season.

date : December 15, 2008
comments : 0
I own both a road bike and a tri bike. I am wondering which bike I should be riding during off season training, or does it matter?
date : September 3, 2006
author : morgoth7
My 1st triathlon, Xterra and the mess I made of myself. This wasn’t your regular triathlon, it was off-road.

date : June 14, 2005
author : PirateGirl
The XTERRA off-road triathlons consist of a lake swim, a mountain bike trail ride, and a trail run. I decided to try the AZ Xtreme Desert XTERRA Tri as my 1st off-road triathlon, and my 3rd tri ever.
date : September 10, 2004
author : Team BT
History of the triathlon and distances.

date : August 31, 2004
author : malvey
Your Past is History but the present determines your future. From the book 'Be here now' by Dr. Richard Alpert