35C / 95F
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 59m 54s
Overall Rank = 826/836
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 45/45
Pre-race routine:

WOO HOO I DFL

Got up and dressed and headed to pick up Yanti. had Tea and toast at Yanti's and then drove the 45min to the race venue and spent 10 minutes finding parking because I did not follow the signs.

Walked the 2ks from the car park to the transition area and breezed through packet pick up and set up transition.
Event warmup:

It was already nice - not hot but nice so got in the water to get wet and get my head under and FACH ME I promptly got stung heaps by jelly fish. I got out and covered them in wet sand which helped a bit to take the sting away but man they hurt. I have never been stung at this beach before!! Three days later they hurt like a MOFO!! photographic evidence below.

I wasn't expecting any big things from this race as I had done next to no training for the month leading up to it. I only did it to race with Yanti, If she hadn't of done it i would have bailed :)
Swim
  • 17m 50s
  • 750 meters
  • 02m 23s / 100 meters
Comments:

actually felt fairly good in the swim and the stings had settled down to a dull fire by then. I also only got stung once and that was just as we came back in. I even managed to beat Yanti out of the water! We want tell anyone that she did Fly for the whole swim, details like that destroy the story.
What would you do differently?:

um train :)
Transition 1
  • 02m 57s
Comments:

chucked on my helmet, sunnies and bike shoes when I saw Yanti's bike still on the rack I didnt rush thinking that she would easily catch me but she didn't.

Bike
  • 50m 57s
  • 20 kms
  • 23.55 km/hr
Comments:

I seem to have a bit of trouble getting up to speed at the start and at turn arounds. I have to get better at this.

There are a couple of hills on this course that always suck on the third lap but I was fairly happy overall. I manged to average over 20kph which is good for me at this stage.

It is a little discouraging when you are going down hill in your top gear, pedaling as fast as you can doing over 40kph and you are getting passed at great speed by lots of people.

Yanti caught me about half way through the second lap which surprised me I thought she would have got me long before that.

um train
Transition 2
  • 04m
Comments:

racked my bike and changed my shoes I didnt think that I was as slow as this, but to Yanti who was waiting for me it probably felt like an eternity.

put speed laces in my running shoes
Run
  • 44m 8s
  • 5 kms
  • 08m 50s  min/km
Comments:

I walked most of the run and not at a fast pace either, except for those parts that Yanti deemed to be downhill.

um train :)
Post race
Warm down:

got water and a banana and then headed back to the beach for another swim. No jelly fish stings this time.

Once transition was open we picked up our bikes and walked back up the hill to the car park.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

lack of training

Event comments:

Tri Events ALWAYS do a great job with their races.

This photo is one of my jelly fish stings three days later after they had calmed down a bit.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2013-12-09 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:17:50 | 750 meters | 02m 23s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/45
Overall: 0/836
Performance:
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:57
Performance:
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:50:57 | 20 kms | 23.55 km/hr
Performance:
Wind: None
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 04:00
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:44:08 | 05 kms | 08m 50s  min/km
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-12-19 10:36 PM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Subject: Hillarys Sprint

2013-12-20 6:44 AM
in reply to: #4915926

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida
Subject: RE: Hillarys Sprint

Ouch, that doesn't look like the jellies were kind to you at all. I hope you are feeling better. Nice job racing with Yanti, and yes, training will make a difference. I hope you had a good time though.

2013-12-20 9:25 AM
in reply to: #4915926

User image

Melon Presser

You know, that was really nice lime cordial we had on the run and good of you to share in the trenches

Great report, pretty much said it, I think I'll just copy and paste for mine! You did REALLY AWESOME especially considering the, err, lack of training (it's overrated. Really.) and you were NOT DFL, 10 people were slower than you. And you broke two hours woohoo! I'm so happy we got to do a race together--it was SUCH FUN and a most worthy follow-up to IMWA. And dogs.

(06.GirlBikes (Small).jpg)

Attachments
----------------
06.GirlBikes (Small).jpg (78KB - 11 downloads)
2013-12-20 9:43 AM
in reply to: TriAya

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by TriAya

You know, that was really nice lime cordial we had on the run and good of you to share in the trenches

Great report, pretty much said it, I think I'll just copy and paste for mine! You did REALLY AWESOME especially considering the, err, lack of training (it's overrated. Really.) and you were NOT DFL, 10 people were slower than you. And you broke two hours woohoo! I'm so happy we got to do a race together--it was SUCH FUN and a most worthy follow-up to IMWA. And dogs.

Look at those two HAWT manatees!!  The smiles are the best!

Congrats, Stacey, you did just fine for not having your training where you wanted it to be.  All I can say is OUCH to those jellyfish sting welts.  ~shudder~ they are miserable!  So fun you got to do the race with Yanti!

2013-12-20 2:30 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
I think Jellies are my biggest fear - I fear that more than drowning. You are brave and my hero!!

Good race and it sounds like you had fun - which is more important than how you placed!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Hillarys Sprint Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Hillarys Triathlon - Pursuit

Started by Chocky
Views: 1023 Posts: 4

2011-04-12 9:34 AM grbelja

The City of Joondalup Hillarys Triathlon - Pursuit

Started by nigelw
Views: 1532 Posts: 5

2009-04-08 8:28 AM nigelw

Hillarys Triathlon Race 1

Started by eurydice79
Views: 1690 Posts: 9

2008-11-19 12:44 AM daisymouse

Hillarys Triathlon

Started by eurydice79
Views: 1560 Posts: 4

2008-04-02 2:25 AM Casie

Hillarys Triathlon

Started by Try-Athlete
Views: 1417 Posts: 4

2008-03-31 11:46 PM mlowell
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 8, 2008
author : pjwalzphd
comments : 2
When I told my husband that I planned to work toward completing a sprint triathlon, he smiled and was supportive, but a bit disbelieving.

date : February 12, 2008
author : mikericci
comments : 0
This plan is designed to make you go faster. 3 workouts per week in each sport, 2 days of strength training and core work. The maximum volume is around 10 hours toward the end of the 12 weeks.
date : October 4, 2007
author : AdamA
comments : 4
I was passing others who were saying, "Good job, 587" (that was my race number). People were cheering me on. These were the nicest people I have ever been around!

date : September 5, 2006
author : mikericci
comments : 0
If you haven’t done any bricks yet, this isn’t the time to start piling them on, but here are some examples you could do in the lead up to your race.
date : September 3, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 1
Since your “A” race is your marathon, which you stated in your question, this should be your main focus. I encourage you to taper a bit for the sprint distance triathlon.

date : July 30, 2006
author : acbadger
Since I didn't have much time and since it's a super sprint, am I OK just go to at the training relatively hard through Thursday or even Friday?
date : August 30, 2004
author : Ron
Couch-to-sprint triathlon training programs to get you over the finish-line of your first triathlon.

date : August 29, 2004
author : Ron
Program outline of the 16 and 20 week sprint triathlon training plan overviews.