General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Kansas 70.3 training program Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-12-20 1:12 PM

User image

Subject: Kansas 70.3 training program
i have pulled the trigger finally and registered for the kansas 70.3 couple month ago. I've only done a sprint tri last summer and loved it so i decided to go for the half IM. I know its a big step and they are way different but this has always been on my bucket list.
I been working on increasing my distance for the past couple month but nothing to intense. Now that the time is getting closer i need to get on a plan and was needing some help/advice.
the swim for me is the easiest part, currently I can swim 2 miles around 1 hour and 5 min without any problems.
The bike is a little tougher, my fastest pace is between 17-18 MPH and i usually ride for 1.5-2 hr before i start getting tired (depend on the road as well). The longest ride i went on was 40 miles. this has been the hardest thing to train for now specially with the cold weather outside ( i get board really fast when i use the bikes at the gym).
Running is probably is my weakest link. i can barely break 9min/mile and usually can run between 6-8 miles.
so here are my question:

With these numbers should i follow a beginner program or an intermediate one?
How far out should i start the program ? i seen some for 14, 16 or 20 weeks away
Do you guys have any specific program that has helped trained for the kansas 70.3? i know each race is different so i was wondering if there are some that might be more helpful for the kansas one.

Lastly, it will be nice to have someone to train with so if anyone is interested/won't mind me training with them please msg me

Thanks in advance

2013-12-20 1:24 PM
in reply to: samish15

User image

Veteran
Shawnee
Subject: RE: Kansas 70.3 training program
I too am training for my first 70.3 (not KS, however) and started several weeks ago with a 20 wk plan.

Based on your description, I think a beginner plan would serve you well. There are an abundance of different training programs available. There is a Free 20 week beginners 70.3 training program available through this site (click training plans in the upper left). The benefit of a program like this is that you can log your workouts. Some on this board log, others do not. But if you do, it may help others who may be able to offer feedback.

Regarding bike training, I am preparing nearly 100% on my trainer. There are a number of different tools available to make this less mind-numbing. This has been money well spent for me. When the weather turns warmer I'll incorporate some longer outdoor rides. Note, that this approach may be very different than what others do, and there are many people on this board that are very experienced and/or fast. I'm not one of those, but I'm a bit of a nerd when it comes to this stuff.

In general, I've found that in triathlon, more training = more better. So I would advocate a 20 wk plan. Consistency is key.

I've not completed KS 70.3 but many on here have and by all accounts it is a great, challenging race (but any race at this distance is challenging).

You did not say where you are located. There are a number of people on here that organize a few group training sessions.
2013-12-20 2:43 PM

User image

First of all sorry i forgot to mention where i am located. I live in lawrence Kansas which was the primary reason for selecting the 70.3 kansas so i dont have to drive too far for my first HIM.
The free plan on this website is on of the plan i was considering and these are the other two that are availble be online that i was looking at
http://www.trinewbies.com/tno_trainingprograms/tno_HIM.asp
http://triathlon.competitor.com/2010/09/training/super-simple-ironm...
2013-12-21 6:27 AM
in reply to: #4916229

User image

Veteran
I would use the 20 week free plan. For now, use the trainer for bike workouts. When it gets decent I would get outside and do a lot of your riding on the course (since you live there). It will not only help you prepare for the course but also give you some comfort come race day.

I would try to run outside as long as the weather is safe enough. I think running in tough conditions helps you later.

I wouldn't worry about your pace, at least now. Working towards endurance is better. HIM is very different than a sprint. I know some use time to train, but I like distance better. You will hear lots of thoughts on training philosophy. I just recommend you have fun doing it. There will be groups going out to ride the course from time to time this spring.
2013-12-21 12:14 PM
in reply to: jlpete98

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
Originally posted by jlpete98

I would use the 20 week free plan. For now, use the trainer for bike workouts. When it gets decent I would get outside and do a lot of your riding on the course (since you live there). It will not only help you prepare for the course but also give you some comfort come race day.

I would try to run outside as long as the weather is safe enough. I think running in tough conditions helps you later.

I wouldn't worry about your pace, at least now. Working towards endurance is better. HIM is very different than a sprint. I know some use time to train, but I like distance better. You will hear lots of thoughts on training philosophy. I just recommend you have fun doing it. There will be groups going out to ride the course from time to time this spring.

x2 on what Pete said. Get very familliar with that DAM hill, you see it at about mile 49 of the race so make sure you "own it" during your training. You'll want to do that hill near the end of your training rides as you get closer to race day. It's a great confidence builder if you can rock that hill after 40+ miles. That will make it easier on race day.

Don't under-estimate the swim, it can be choppy on a windy day so it will be a big plus if your swim is strong sans wetsuit on race day. Train as if you were not going to wear one, then if you do, it's a bonus.
2013-12-21 1:32 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

If you are good at the swim, don't worry about the rest.  You are fine.  

2013-12-21 1:40 PM
in reply to: Jayhox

User image

Extreme Veteran
Shawnee, KS
Pete will tell you to get drunk as possible before the race, guaranteed PR. Jayhox can win the race(out of the water), and Reeces goal will be to get to the start line. I like to watch them all finish ahead of me.

We will certainly get some group rides starting in March. Watch this site for some practice swims sometime late april/early may.
2013-12-21 2:17 PM
in reply to: joncolby

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Originally posted by joncolby Pete will tell you to get drunk as possible before the race, guaranteed PR. Jayhox can win the race(out of the water), and Reeces goal will be to get to the start line. I like to watch them all finish ahead of me. We will certainly get some group rides starting in March. Watch this site for some practice swims sometime late april/early may.

I'm gunning for a PR this year - this sounds legit!

x2 to everyone saying to train on the course. You will definitely have a leg up on those of us who can't! Also, this race was NOT wetsuit legal in what year... 2012? That was painful, but not out of the question again.

Looking forward to group rides this spring. I will lead the back of the pack!

2013-12-21 2:22 PM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Extreme Veteran
Shawnee, KS
Originally posted by lisac957

Originally posted by joncolby Pete will tell you to get drunk as possible before the race, guaranteed PR. Jayhox can win the race(out of the water), and Reeces goal will be to get to the start line. I like to watch them all finish ahead of me. We will certainly get some group rides starting in March. Watch this site for some practice swims sometime late april/early may.

I'm gunning for a PR this year - this sounds legit!

x2 to everyone saying to train on the course. You will definitely have a leg up on those of us who can't! Also, this race was NOT wetsuit legal in what year... 2012? That was painful, but not out of the question again.

Looking forward to group rides this spring. I will lead the back of the pack!

I dont know Lisa. I saw you got a pretty sweet new ride.
2013-12-26 2:31 PM
in reply to: joncolby

User image

Thank you all for the info. It is great to hear from all of you.
I was wondering about the hill. Is that the one before the damn on the way back or is there another one ?
I tried to ride the course at the end of the summer couple time and was able to do a 30 and a 35 miles ride although that hill before the damn always got the best off me ( it felt great when I got to the top though).
Can't wait for the spring so maybe get to meet some of you guys
Thanks again
2013-12-26 2:42 PM

User image

Veteran
Prairie Village, Kansas
Yeah that's it. There is also a rough stretch heading south (usually into a headwind) around miles 35-40 on the bike that is pretty tough, as well.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Kansas 70.3 training program Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

The Official (Kansas Forum) Kansas 70.3 thread Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by joncolby
Views: 4907 Posts: 78

2013-06-16 10:50 PM TriMomKS

Camping temps at Kansas 70.3?

Started by Tri_a_tri
Views: 1737 Posts: 5

2010-02-04 6:38 PM Tri_a_tri

Kansas 70.3

Started by Kevin_MS
Views: 3071 Posts: 8

2010-06-02 2:37 PM mjgardner

Ironman Kansas 70.3 Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8

Started by Bripod
Views: 16630 Posts: 200

2008-06-25 1:35 PM LindaKC

IM Kansas 70.3 Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21

Started by montyzooma
Views: 18603 Posts: 505

2008-06-27 9:22 AM lisac957
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 28, 2012
author : dilletaunt
comments : 5
Another year, another excuse in missing the Ironman 70.3 Lake Stevens triathlon.

date : July 1, 2009
author : mrmarkcole
comments : 37
Or why an Ironman 70.3 may not be your best choice for your first triathlon.
date : January 18, 2009
author : mikericci
comments : 2
Start getting fit and losing weight in the New Year with our beginner cycling program. This program can get you fit and ready to then start any of our sprint or olympic triathlon training programs.

date : August 21, 2008
author : TriChica
comments : 8
I thought of all the times I didn’t attempt something I wanted to do because I was too afraid of trying something new or of failing completely.
date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.

date : January 1, 2008
author : jgosse66
comments : 0
Here is my five step plan for getting mentally prepared for next year’s Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, or any other race that you may have.
date : October 4, 2007
author : jgosse66
comments : 0
It was the morning of Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, I felt queasy. I didn't want to eat or drink anything. I had a full blown case of the pre-race HEEBEE GEEBEES.

date : June 6, 2006
author : Ingrid Loos
comments : 4
A bad race left me smoldering, but time and a gentle breeze ignited my passion to race again.