Subject: RE: Help me create my Pain Cave
2013-12-20 2:54 PM
in reply to: dmbfan4life20

User image

Master
Crab Cake City
BT,

I am about to start training for my first Ironman @ Mont Tremblant in the next few weeks and I would like to get a good Pain Cave setup in my basement. The wife gave the go ahead to transport our basement into my personal training room so I am looking for some inspiration, ideas and maybe design elements to help me turn it into a fun space that is functional. Here is a little about the space and what equipment I have:

Townhouse basement (maybe 20x20)and finished
Half Bathroom
56" TV & DVD player
Bike & Trainer
Floor Mat
weights
small fan
old laptop computer

I am looking for some ideas of some other equipment that I could purchase or find to make the space a little more functional (more fans, little table to hold remotes, etc) I am also looking to hang things on the walls that I can look at to motivate me and get me through some tough trainer sessions. So what do you guys have in your pain cave that works? Can you give me some ideas of things to do to decorate/organizne/motivate?? ANyone got any pictures they can post so I can see what others are doing?

Thanks
2013-12-20 2:56 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

1.Bike

2. Trainer

3. TV

4. Something to display stuff on TV

5. Fan(s)

6. Mental Fortitude

ETA: your second post came in after I started to reply.  

Edited by axteraa 2013-12-20 2:57 PM
2013-12-20 3:05 PM

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
I have a CompuTrainer..... It's all the pain I need.

Cycling murals and posters. Real cycling video and movies like Breaking Away and American Flyers will make your intervals interesting.

2013-12-20 3:06 PM
in reply to: axteraa

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Arend, What no Vasa trainer?

2013-12-20 3:09 PM
in reply to: BrotherTri

User image

Originally posted by BrotherTri I have a CompuTrainer..... It's all the pain I need. Cycling murals and posters. Real cycling video and movies like Breaking Away and American Flyers will make your intervals interesting.

This (well, I have a tv and laptop.  and headphones...  and ceiling and floor fan.... and twoel thing thingy for bike.... and trainer wheel/tire....  and floor./yoga mat....  and .. MOST IMPORTANTLY.... a plan).

2013-12-20 3:12 PM

User image

St Catharines, Ontario
A 2nd fan
Foam rollers
Some floor mats for strecthing
Motivational posters

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-Aj4NF3uTc2Y/T20XdTX6tnI/AAAAAAAAA20/efZBx...

Or get a load of this when training goes south for some reason:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70UF82nysIU#t=124
2013-12-20 3:28 PM

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Inspiring sports video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LccxeBMLibY

There is another one from WTC Ironman somewhere
2013-12-20 3:46 PM

User image

Master

This is what I have in my current set up.

Number one priority is cooling as far as I'm concerned. A few years ago at my request hubby bought me and Air King Fan on a pedestal for my birthday.

: http://www.airkinglimited.com/page/industrial-pedestal-fans.html

I wanted one that was mounted on the ceiling above the trainer and hubby refused. I also have 2 smaller fans on TV trays set up beside and behind the trainer. It sounds like an airplane is going to take off when all of the fans are on at the same time. The dogs will come and hop on the couch by the trainer when they see me getting my bike shoes out.

An extra TV stand beside the trainer for water bottles, TV changers, phone, food etc.,

Carpet under the trainer with an older yoga mat on top for sweat.

TV tray in front of the trainer with a box on it to make the computer eye level while riding in Aero. Spartacus and  Sons of Anarchy are great programs to watch on the trainer.

Computrainer set up to a computer to the right of trainer set up

White board mounted on the wall with bike WOD of the day written on it.

99% of all of my bike training is done on the trainer. I actually prefer using the trainer for workouts to being outside.

Edited by Catwoman 2013-12-20 3:49 PM
2013-12-20 3:56 PM
in reply to: Catwoman

User image

Master

IMO- You don't need anything other than your workout and the upcoming race as a motivation to be on the trainer. The trainer room isn't a pain cave. Sure it's painful and there have been many times that I've gotten off the bike in the middle of a session and thrown up... Change your wording and mindset from Pain Cave to something positive. This is a room where you can make significant improvements regardless of weather, time of day or any other excuse that your mind can come up with. Once you take away all of the distractions from riding outside its just you and your body working to achieve a goal on the trainer.

BTW- If you don't have one I would highly recommend getting a power meter.

Enjoy your new playroom.

2013-12-20 4:03 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
The closer to a window the better, especially if you can get the fan between you and the window. Light helps.

I have a PC with TV tuner and dual monitor setup. I use Windows Media Center so with the remote I can flip between TV, recorded shows, movies...

On one monitor I project media center on the other my workout. I can bring up a browser and use Netflix as well.

I usually flip to music during hard intervals, back to movies or shows or news during tempo, cooldowns....

media center is kind of cool for recording shows.

Posters....you forget them pretty quick when you start pedaling.

The type of trainer makes a huge difference. I use a CT.
Wireless headphones are good.

Edited by marcag 2013-12-20 4:08 PM
2013-12-20 4:13 PM
in reply to: axteraa

User image

Saint Paul, MN
Originally posted by axteraa

1.Bike

2. Trainer

3. TV

4. Something to display stuff on TV

5. Fan(s)

6. Mental Fortitude

ETA: your second post came in after I started to reply.  

This sounds good. Though instead of a TV, I have my ipad mounted to a mic stand to watch videos.
2013-12-20 4:27 PM

User image

Master
Bellevue, WA

Add a good treadmill, and these days there several good ones in the $1000 range.

I suggest noise cancelling headphones so you can hear that TV without blowing your hearing or annoying the rest of the house.  I use Bose QC3s.

I have a foam roller, some free weights, and an IKea bookshelf that I store everything on.  I also have an old sofa table to hold my 27" LCD TV, but you don't need that if you have that big 56" monster.  I'm cramped into a 9x12 bedroom, so I'm jealous of your 20x20 room.

Of course you need Netflix so you can binge TV shows.  There are TV shows like Fringe that I was reserving only for watching while training.  I would really really want to watch the net episode, and that would add some motivation to go in and do my next workout.  Same for watching movies.  One time I got on a kick of watching movies series in reverse order.  It was fun to watch Die Hard backwards, watching the characters de-evolve so to speak.  Same for Terminator.

As for decoration I have a clock hanging on the wall made out of a old Mavic Pro rim that I bought at an expo.  It's pretty cool, I like it a lot.  You can find a lot of that sort of bike art online.

2013-12-20 4:49 PM

Hey Matt - good idea to get yourself set-up for some serious training. But what the heck took you so long!?! We only have 240 days to go until race day. ;-)

I like everybody suggestions here...I think all the major items are covered. One thing that I bought that has been super helpful is a conductor music stand. It's a strong music stand that can support alot of stuff - I bought it at Guitar Center. I put my portable DVD player on it and place it right in front of my treadmill or bike (depending on what I'm doing that day).

Also, remember that your basement, depending on the ventilation, can get quite steamy during your long trainer rides. Mine does, so having a fan is very helpful. I've even taken salt tabs sometimes on my long rides depending on how steamy it gets.

My local library has a pretty decent DVD collection and I regularly check-out films for my long rides. So, perhaps a library card could be helpful too.

Good luck, and hope you and your family have a great holiday season!

See you in 238ish days...

2013-12-20 6:40 PM

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC

i have in my pain "cave"(area)

- bike on trainer
- trainer mat
- big fan
- 32" TV
- Laptop with HDMI to TV
- Laptop stand
- Speakers to drown out feeling
- Small stool/table for nutrition/fluids

and for extra motivation i have hanging on the wall:

- Sufferlandrian Flag
- Cats playing hippos

2013-12-20 9:16 PM
in reply to: Clempson

User image

Extreme Veteran
Highlands Ranch, Colorado
Mine:

Bike on trainer

Treadmill

TV tray to hold laptop (Trainer Road), remotes and water bottles

TV, Apple TV for Netflix

Incline Bench, Dumb Bells

Mini Fridge

Big Floor Fan
2013-12-20 9:30 PM
in reply to: Clempson

User image

Denver, Colorado
Get yourself some SUFFERFEST vids and a SUFFERLANDRIAN FLAG!
2013-12-21 9:06 AM

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Get rid of the TV and computer screen....do you watch TV when racing? Staring at a wall helps build mental strength, key for ironman.
2013-12-21 12:17 PM
in reply to: bcagle25

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ajo
Originally posted by bcagle25

Get rid of the TV and computer screen....do you watch TV when racing? Staring at a wall helps build mental strength, key for ironman.

Yep, a junked up room with a radio tuned to XM Liguid Metal or Octane for the fastest and heaviest music... if I doing intensity stuff on a trainer I couldn't focus on a tv anyways.
2013-12-22 1:14 AM
in reply to: Brian W

User image

Originally posted by Brian W

Get yourself some SUFFERFEST vids and a SUFFERLANDRIAN FLAG!

I'm going to have to agree with the vids. They're pretty stellar.

I'd suggest a little fridge for cold drinks, and storage for items like chamois butt'r, hrm storage. If you've got the cooling good to go, then you should be fine.

My setup is pretty simple.
Bike, trainer, an extra 23" pc monitor, hdmi cable, laptop, a dresser to hold that on, and a bed to die on or hold my oversized water bottles.

2013-12-22 4:08 PM
in reply to: BearMayor

I use an iron board, as my computer/remote table...
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Help me create my Pain Cave Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

In ceiling air movers for pain cave..

Started by Meulen
Views: 1928 Posts: 8

2012-11-20 6:43 AM avaleach

Help creating a training plan for my wife

Started by MonkeyClaw
Views: 982 Posts: 9

2010-09-29 6:03 PM MonkeyClaw

Creating a training plan....need help

Started by gravesjo
Views: 882 Posts: 4

2009-04-03 8:12 AM g_shotts

help creating Sprint DU plan

Started by newbie13
Views: 918 Posts: 6

2008-06-18 7:37 AM Hawkeye

Need help creating a training program...

Started by roadrunner1659
Views: 1024 Posts: 10

2007-09-25 7:31 PM roadrunner1659
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 21, 2012
author : AMSSM
comments : 1
My foot is now in a tremendous amount of pain, it is swollen, and I can barely walk on it at all, it hurts so much. I am still putting the gel on, taking anti inflammatories, and icing. Help!

date : March 23, 2011
comments : 0
What could be causing the pain on the top of the foot at the toes? Here are some easy ways to find the cause and possibly end the pain.
date : December 28, 2009
I have a very annoying pain under my knee cap. It does not hurt when I run or ride. It hurts a lot when I swim and when I walk up or down stairs. The pain is a searing pain. Help!

date : March 7, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
Discussions on hand entry, common triathlete training mistakes, the best swim drills, useful swim tools and flip turn help.
date : June 5, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 8
When I swim I struggle to get a full breath and consequently run down faster. I spend part of my training on the side of the pool gasping for air.

date : January 1, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 1
I’ve signed up to do the St. Anthony’s Olympic Triathlon in April. I will be 49 in May and need some advice on a good training program to fit into my full time work schedule.
date : March 12, 2005
author : Ron
A step-by-step guide to creating your own training plans from other sources to import into your training log anytime.

date : September 10, 2004
author : Ron
comments : 2
Your help is needed to keep BT the best of the best.