Other Resources Challenge Me! » January 100 Mile Run Challenge! Rss Feed  
Moderators: the bear, kaqphin, tinkerbeth, D001, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 12

2014-01-13 6:58 PM
in reply to: dtoce

User image

Seattle
Subject: RE: January 100 Mile Run Challenge!

Originally posted by dtoce Very solid work everyone! I kept up the frequency but will need to back off a tiny bit. Pulled the calf a bit while doing strength training a bit too aggressively in the gym. Got 15 for the week/31 so far for the month, so goal should be OK, but I always respect barking from my body parts... (Plan to spin and swim a bit for a few days then reevaluate. Besides, I was looking forward to playing on the bike with my new Powertap hub.)

-------------------------------------------------------

Weekly summary is due today!!! Let us know how it's going. Are you feeling tired? Is it a challenge doing this after the holidays? How are the body parts? Does the plan need adjustment? How's the weather? Keep up the good work.

Oh. I screwed up this part and didn't answer any of your questions.

My month so far is 144.42.

It's actually going really well. I am going to make a few adjustments (dropping my AM session on Wednesdays so I can come to the track fresh and running a little more on Thursdays.) Additionally, this week will be extended to 8 days and I am going to do my long run on Monday (a long "depletion" run at that.) I'm also dropping one Q session this week. But those last two changes are for this week only. And I'll be in Vegas Fri-Sunday.

I was tired on Thursday but my small adjustment should help with that.

I am eating pretty well but want to refine that even a little more. I am working HARD to get in more fruits and veggies.

The weather hasn't been great but overall I haven't minded. The wind has altered my paces a bit, but that's just how winter running goes.

2014-01-13 7:18 PM
in reply to: navbtcret

User image

Veteran
South Windsor, CT

Summary Week 2-Jan 5th through Jan11th---23 Peeps in; Please remember to give weekly totals on Sundays-variably good reporting
(Next Summary will be done Monday 1/20- mileage due on 1/19)

Ron/navbtcret-153.7 total-with 82 miles this week including 12 mile progression and an 'easy LR of onlyy 20 miles'-he's a BEAST!
Adrienne/Asalzwed-144.4-total with the normal/expected fatigue of ramping back into high mileage after short (needed!) layoff-probably happy her 'Hawks played as well as they did-I'm nervous about my Pats having to play them-you're doing great A, just fine

==============================================================
2 peeps completed the challenge so far

Tony/tbonanno-77 total-with 47 last week; he's a high-mileage trail maven who likes to take a header on the trail, so don't be too social on those trails, I've seen the cuts you get, so please don't fall and hurt yourself, I need my 'lane mate' to swim the lake in the springtime
Steve/popsracer-75 total-with 40 miles last week which included multipace and multisport; being sensitive to his body and gets 'star pupil' status
Robert/rjrankin83-roaring up the charts, this newcomer hits 74.72 in Jan with 41+ miles last week-doing what the coach says as he comes off nov IM and plans Feb marathon-great job!
Mary/Chunga-ends week 6 of M training with 71 miles; very solid! Go Memphis!
Jen/midwesttrimom-53 for the month as she suffers in MINUS 40 feelfeel in DesMoines but heading to WI cabin and I hope it is warmer there ; but 3 feet of snow sounds like it may not be
Karl/KWDreamin-52 (?+) for the month and doing great with accountibility and consistency; running through the cold weather
Matt/mambos-37 miles for the month and on pace for 100+ in the month, doing it on the trails and in the mud-the pic says it all; foot tries to slow him, but he mud does NOT
Brad/MSUBrad-ties for 37 miles in Jan and smartly reduces intensity and increases frequency to avoid worsening sore Achilles-get healthy!
Claude/Nockon-not sure if he has 33 or 25-as I could be mixing metaphors and KM/miles...but he's getiing it done-very nice
Elena/EV3110- 32 miles for the month in her new Newtons, breaking them in CALifornia style
Dale/dtoce-31 for me total with 15 this week-had to shorten the distances with a sore calf-it s*cks to get old but I'm not going 'gently into any good night'
Kristen/enders shadow-was at 29.38 and waiting for the 'sunday check in'...
Gary/PsiTri-25 Jan miles and feeling bad about not running as much in weather we would all be envious of here in NE, but you're doing it, so keep up the good work!
James/Lecrac-22 miles for the month and putting those in the books on the treadmill with the new motor

No totals Given
---------------------
SGirl/?name-she did a lot of running-no totals...
Kendra/Kns57-
Scott/scotttjjmtri-
Jen/Jen in Training-
Mike/ransick-
Dee/spackieii-
Pam/PinkSocks-DL

Please round numbers to nearest mile.
Give totals on Sunday to be included in the roundup-(2 weeks of no reporting, you're out of the summary)
Weeks go from Sunday to Saturday
Give monthly progress too

Keep up the GREAT work people!
I know you're doing it so let me know and get credit.

2014-01-13 8:10 PM

User image

New user
Dale, you know me too well. I wrapped myself around a big rock on Sat, and took a dive on the ice today. No blood though. I'll take a pool day tomorrow to recoup a bit before finishing off the challenge by the weekend. Take care of that sore calf.
2014-01-13 8:15 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sidney, Ohio

Great Summary, and thank you for putting the effort into getting everyone listed.  Almost motivated me to run some more....Almost!  

2014-01-14 8:04 AM
in reply to: mambos

User image

Nice work, Dale! Now, on the issue of my weather! Let's just say that it's not cold enough to join the Crappy Winter Weather Challenge. That being said, we're due for a cold snap that might get us down to the low 40's in the next couple days. That's probably hot for some of you northerners, but I'll be bundled with some gloves for sure!

Put in just about 6 miles this morning. New route. Planned a steady 8:25 pace to make the big loop and not have to walk home. But I started too slow, and I had to make up some time. Ended up with negative splits just about every mile (9:27, 8:57, 8:26, 8:26, 8:05, 7:53 [pace on .86 miles]. Pleased, but a bit more sore in one knee and one Achilles than usual. Ice, massage, stretch, yada yada yada.

Happy trails.
2014-01-14 12:47 PM
in reply to: PsyTri

User image

New user
I have 27 miles in for the month. Not quite where I want to be and 100 is looking to be a real challenge for January. Not giving up hope. Will post an update Sunday. Sorry about missing out on the weekly updates.

Scott

2014-01-14 3:47 PM
in reply to: scottjjmtri99

User image

Veteran
Seattle, Washington
Well I just saw this challenge, am I allowed to jump in this late? I can always join in next month!
2014-01-14 4:00 PM
in reply to: MechEChick

User image

Veteran
South Windsor, CT
Originally posted by MechEChick

Well I just saw this challenge, am I allowed to jump in this late? I can always join in next month!

Absolutely!
(Please read my initial post on page1 to know what the plan is.)

Next update will be on Monday, so let me know the number of miles for the week/month on Sunday.
Let us know how it's going...

...and welcome!!
2014-01-14 4:07 PM

User image

Veteran
Seattle, Washington
Well hello!

I plan to run 100 miles this month. I train by time/HR and I think this should be pretty close to exact.

My plan is 4/5 days per week depending on the week, one hard day, one easy short day and two/three medium distance easy.

Christina

So far 53 miles for me!
2014-01-14 4:21 PM
in reply to: MechEChick

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by MechEChick Well hello! I plan to run 100 miles this month. I train by time/HR and I think this should be pretty close to exact. My plan is 4/5 days per week depending on the week, one hard day, one easy short day and two/three medium distance easy. Christina So far 53 miles for me!

Welcome neighbor!

2014-01-14 4:28 PM

User image

Originally posted by dtoce

Summary Week 2-Jan 5th through Jan11th---23 Peeps in; Please remember to give weekly totals on Sundays-variably good reporting
(Next Summary will be done Monday 1/20- mileage due on 1/19)

Ron/navbtcret-153.7 total-with 82 miles this week including 12 mile progression and an 'easy LR of onlyy 20 miles'-he's a BEAST!
Adrienne/Asalzwed-144.4-total with the normal/expected fatigue of ramping back into high mileage after short (needed!) layoff-probably happy her 'Hawks played as well as they did-I'm nervous about my Pats having to play them-you're doing great A, just fine

==============================================================
2 peeps completed the challenge so far

Tony/tbonanno-77 total-with 47 last week; he's a high-mileage trail maven who likes to take a header on the trail, so don't be too social on those trails, I've seen the cuts you get, so please don't fall and hurt yourself, I need my 'lane mate' to swim the lake in the springtime
Steve/popsracer-75 total-with 40 miles last week which included multipace and multisport; being sensitive to his body and gets 'star pupil' status
Robert/rjrankin83-roaring up the charts, this newcomer hits 74.72 in Jan with 41+ miles last week-doing what the coach says as he comes off nov IM and plans Feb marathon-great job!
Mary/Chunga-ends week 6 of M training with 71 miles; very solid! Go Memphis!
Jen/midwesttrimom-53 for the month as she suffers in MINUS 40 feelfeel in DesMoines but heading to WI cabin and I hope it is warmer there ; but 3 feet of snow sounds like it may not be
Karl/KWDreamin-52 (?+) for the month and doing great with accountibility and consistency; running through the cold weather
Matt/mambos-37 miles for the month and on pace for 100+ in the month, doing it on the trails and in the mud-the pic says it all; foot tries to slow him, but he mud does NOT
Brad/MSUBrad-ties for 37 miles in Jan and smartly reduces intensity and increases frequency to avoid worsening sore Achilles-get healthy!
Claude/Nockon-not sure if he has 33 or 25-as I could be mixing metaphors and KM/miles...but he's getiing it done-very nice
Elena/EV3110- 32 miles for the month in her new Newtons, breaking them in CALifornia style
Dale/dtoce-31 for me total with 15 this week-had to shorten the distances with a sore calf-it s*cks to get old but I'm not going 'gently into any good night'
Kristen/enders shadow-was at 29.38 and waiting for the 'sunday check in'...
Gary/PsiTri-25 Jan miles and feeling bad about not running as much in weather we would all be envious of here in NE, but you're doing it, so keep up the good work!
James/Lecrac-22 miles for the month and putting those in the books on the treadmill with the new motor

No totals Given
---------------------
SGirl/?name-she did a lot of running-no totals...
Kendra/Kns57-
Scott/scotttjjmtri-
Jen/Jen in Training-
Mike/ransick-
Dee/spackieii-
Pam/PinkSocks-DL

Please round numbers to nearest mile.
Give totals on Sunday to be included in the roundup-(2 weeks of no reporting, you're out of the summary)
Weeks go from Sunday to Saturday
Give monthly progress too

Keep up the GREAT work people!
I know you're doing it so let me know and get credit.

Thanks for doing this! Makes it fun! I will be in touch after my WI trip. Hit 60 miles this AM!

2014-01-14 4:46 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Seattle

I'm extending this training "week" into an 8 day cycle and dropping one Q session, making the majority of the week variably easy miles with as much volume as I can (I'll be in Vegas for the weekend so...) And then doing a long-long depletion run on Monday @ 25% of my weekly mileage.

2014-01-14 5:05 PM

User image

Veteran
South Windsor, CT
Originally posted by Asalzwed

I'm extending this training "week" into an 8 day cycle and dropping one Q session, making the majority of the week variably easy miles with as much volume as I can (I'll be in Vegas for the weekend so...) And then doing a long-long depletion run on Monday @ 25% of my weekly mileage.

yeah, volume should be a focus, IMO, for you at this point for a Boston date

depletion runs are challenging...most know that doing lots of distance running helps the body do better with fat burning (which helps with glycogen stores as they last longer) but specifically forcing oneself into glycogen deficit and running right into the wall is tough

there are various schools about running without hydration, and I'm of the 'don't do it' school-you will be hydrated on race day and there is nothing to gain by exacerbating dehydration during training

now, depleting glycogen, is OK, but bring some gels with you just in case-some people get really lightheaded

it is a fascinating experience---so, are you going by time or distance? is the route planned? will you have a back up for the possible crash?

if you stay slow enough, you'll definitely be ok-25% is not too bad even for your mileage

long-long runs should be only a tiny slice of your training at this point-medLR's with pace should be happening weekly (fast finish/progression/tempo segments/MP...)

let us know how it goes!
2014-01-14 5:17 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
South Windsor, CT
Originally posted by tbonanno

Dale, you know me too well. I wrapped myself around a big rock on Sat, and took a dive on the ice today. No blood though. I'll take a pool day tomorrow to recoup a bit before finishing off the challenge by the weekend. Take care of that sore calf.

TONY!
Be careful.

Originally posted by midwesttrimom
Thanks for doing this! Makes it fun! I will be in touch after my WI trip. Hit 60 miles this AM!

you're welcome! have a nice trip and congrats on the mini-milestone

Originally posted by scottjjmtri99

I have 27 miles in for the month. Not quite where I want to be and 100 is looking to be a real challenge for January. Not giving up hope. Will post an update Sunday. Sorry about missing out on the weekly updates.
Scott

That's why this is under the 'challenge' thread-HA!
Do not give up hope. Run more frequently, if you can, and get a few extra sessions in and the mileage will pile up.

Originally posted by PsyTri
Nice work, Dale! Now, on the issue of my weather! Let's just say that it's not cold enough to join the Crappy Winter Weather Challenge. That being said, we're due for a cold snap that might get us down to the low 40's in the next couple days. That's probably hot for some of you northerners, but I'll be bundled with some gloves for sure!

Put in just about 6 miles this morning. New route. Planned a steady 8:25 pace to make the big loop and not have to walk home. But I started too slow, and I had to make up some time. Ended up with negative splits just about every mile (9:27, 8:57, 8:26, 8:26, 8:05, 7:53 [pace on .86 miles]. Pleased, but a bit more sore in one knee and one Achilles than usual. Ice, massage, stretch, yada yada yada.

Happy trails.

Be careful with the sore parts. I've personally had enough winter-I want it to be warm again...must...have...patience....
Nice negative split run. Lydiard always said to pick a pace that was strong, but not so fast that you couldn't run back a tiny bit faster.
Well done.

Edited by dtoce 2014-01-14 5:23 PM
2014-01-14 5:28 PM

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by dtoce

yeah, volume should be a focus, IMO, for you at this point for a Boston date depletion runs are challenging...most know that doing lots of distance running helps the body do better with fat burning (which helps with glycogen stores as they last longer) but specifically forcing oneself into glycogen deficit and running right into the wall is tough there are various schools about running without hydration, and I'm of the 'don't do it' school-you will be hydrated on race day and there is nothing to gain by exacerbating dehydration during training now, depleting glycogen, is OK, but bring some gels with you just in case-some people get really lightheaded it is a fascinating experience---so, are you going by time or distance? is the route planned? will you have a back up for the possible crash? if you stay slow enough, you'll definitely be ok-25% is not too bad even for your mileage long-long runs should be only a tiny slice of your training at this point-medLR's with pace should be happening weekly (fast finish/progression/tempo segments/MP...) let us know how it goes!

Great feedback, Dale. I've actually never done one before but it's one of several different key long marathon workouts I'll be doing.

It's going to be a glycogen depletion run because I just don't think I agree with intentional dehydration either. And that is GREAT advice to some gels, just in case.

I think that I might even go out of 25% a little bit because I'm not sure if I want to force a pace for something I've not done before. Although, 80% MP is the target pace. But I might be a little lenient. That being said, I was thinking maybe 23 miles or so. 

I have a car2go (car sharing) membership and that is always my "out" in case I can't finish a long run for whatever reason (perk of a big city.) Also, I think I may meet a friend for part of the run so they can monitor my sanity  

I've actually been doing a shorter but HILLY medium long run (9-11 miles) early in the week and then on Saturday I do a longer one (10-13) with progression/tempo etc. and I believe that more or less brings me into my Sunday long run a little glycogen depleted anyhoo.

2014-01-14 6:30 PM

User image

Got in a 8.2 mile progression run this afternoon. I am enjoying the mild temps while they last here in Northwest, Pennsylvania because I know they will not last much longer.

2014-01-14 10:15 PM

Welp...I strained my adductor 'area.' (the actual term is adductor belvis, if we must get techical) I have been lifting heavier, and also running more...as I'm training for a 1/2 marathon...but, I think this is my body's way of saying I must make a choice...I can't do both types of training, equally well. Something will give...like my hip adductor! haha It's a weird feeling, for those who have had it...you know what I mean. Near your groin area. Ick. Just makes you feel...ick.

No running yesterday or today...hoping by Friday?? I will be able to get some in. I need to leave this alone and let it heal up. It's one of those things, that you just can't push past.

Happy running to all, I will be cheering you all on in the meantime.
2014-01-15 12:47 AM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Originally posted by SGirl Welp...I strained my adductor 'area.' (the actual term is adductor belvis, if we must get techical) I have been lifting heavier, and also running more...as I'm training for a 1/2 marathon...but, I think this is my body's way of saying I must make a choice...I can't do both types of training, equally well. Something will give...like my hip adductor! haha It's a weird feeling, for those who have had it...you know what I mean. Near your groin area. Ick. Just makes you feel...ick. No running yesterday or today...hoping by Friday?? I will be able to get some in. I need to leave this alone and let it heal up. It's one of those things, that you just can't push past. Happy running to all, I will be cheering you all on in the meantime.

Sorry about your strain.  Be careful and ease back in when you can.

----------

Tonight was 50 degrees and no wind for my track workout.  It felt almost balmy compared to the last weeks.  Had a really good session with my 400's at 1:28 average.  Down four seconds from last week at roughly the same RPE.  Pulling back on my easy run yesterday seemed to help as I didn't feel the fatigue that had been creeping in.  Tomorrow will be super easy to setup my medium long run Thursday.

And thanks again Dale for pulling all this together.  You are a wealth of information and a great motivator.

Edited by popsracer 2014-01-15 12:48 AM
2014-01-15 8:35 AM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

Only had a 30 min recovery run planned for this morning. Last night, I wasn't feelin' it because pain/soreness in my ankle tendons. Figured I'd swim in the AM (1st swim in 2 weeks b/c recovering from lower abdominal wall strain) and then pick up the 30 min run in the evening. Could not get out of bed then the sky opened up and poured.

Feeling a lot discouraged by my recurrent ankle issues. Trying to figure out which professional to consult. I have a podiatrist for flat feet and pronation - he steered me toward these max control running shoes (Brooks Beast), which have worked fine. But, I feel like I need an assessment of my gait/foot strike/ankle/joints, etc. that extends beyond podiatry. Any ideas what discipline would be good? Sports medicine? Exercise physiology? Chiropractor? Orthopedist? I want a better picture of what's going on and some frank feedback about any limitations and accommodations.
2014-01-15 11:44 AM

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by popsracer

Originally posted by SGirl Welp...I strained my adductor 'area.' (the actual term is adductor belvis, if we must get techical) I have been lifting heavier, and also running more...as I'm training for a 1/2 marathon...but, I think this is my body's way of saying I must make a choice...I can't do both types of training, equally well. Something will give...like my hip adductor! haha It's a weird feeling, for those who have had it...you know what I mean. Near your groin area. Ick. Just makes you feel...ick. No running yesterday or today...hoping by Friday?? I will be able to get some in. I need to leave this alone and let it heal up. It's one of those things, that you just can't push past. Happy running to all, I will be cheering you all on in the meantime.

----------

Tonight was 50 degrees and no wind for my track workout.  It felt almost balmy compared to the last weeks.  Had a really good session with my 400's at 1:28 average.  Down four seconds from last week at roughly the same RPE.  Pulling back on my easy run yesterday seemed to help as I didn't feel the fatigue that had been creeping in.  Tomorrow will be super easy to setup my medium long run Thursday.

And thanks again Dale for pulling all this together.  You are a wealth of information and a great motivator.

How did you get your 400 pace? And what was the recovery? Oh, and how many? 

2014-01-15 12:52 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

----------

I started with my 5k based VDOT which actually had me at about 1:35.  Over the last month or so my pace for the same RPE has consistently dropped.  I probably should be increasing my reps since I am only going 6 with full recovery but I'm being really cautious with volume. I set my R-pace volume based on 5% of weekly total of 30 miles.  That has gone up to 40 so I should be doing 8 reps and backing off to the proper VDOT pace.  Just kind of went with it this week.   Whether I'm doing 200's or 400's, I jog for recovery the same distance that I just ran.

There were about 50 people on the track last night so I think I also get pulled along by their energy.  Lots of good college and club runners there.  I use the Universities track.

2014-01-15 1:14 PM

User image

Seattle

----------

I started with my 5k based VDOT which actually had me at about 1:35.  Over the last month or so my pace for the same RPE has consistently dropped.  I probably should be increasing my reps since I am only going 6 with full recovery but I'm being really cautious with volume. I set my R-pace volume based on 5% of weekly total of 30 miles.  That has gone up to 40 so I should be doing 8 reps and backing off to the proper VDOT pace.  Just kind of went with it this week.   Whether I'm doing 200's or 400's, I jog for recovery the same distance that I just ran.

There were about 50 people on the track last night so I think I also get pulled along by their energy.  Lots of good college and club runners there.  I use the Universities track.

Just remember intensity as well as volume should be taken into consideration when you are being cautious about injuries.

Also, running at the correct R pace is important to stress the proper system.

I was looking at the training intensities based on current VDOT table (3.2) in the Daniels book.

2014-01-15 1:59 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

----------

Just remember intensity as well as volume should be taken into consideration when you are being cautious about injuries.

I was looking at the training intensities based on current VDOT table (3.2) in the Daniels book.

Thanks Adrienne.  I know I was creeping into the too fast zone for the workout especially the first few which were like 1:26.  It's why I don't train with a group.  Just the other folks on the track at the same time was getting into my head. 

2014-01-15 5:05 PM

User image

Veteran
South Windsor, CT
Originally posted by SGirl

Welp...I strained my adductor 'area.' (the actual term is adductor belvis, if we must get techical) I have been lifting heavier, and also running more...as I'm training for a 1/2 marathon...but, I think this is my body's way of saying I must make a choice...I can't do both types of training, equally well. Something will give...like my hip adductor! haha It's a weird feeling, for those who have had it...you know what I mean. Near your groin area. Ick. Just makes you feel...ick.

No running yesterday or today...hoping by Friday?? I will be able to get some in. I need to leave this alone and let it heal up. It's one of those things, that you just can't push past.

Happy running to all, I will be cheering you all on in the meantime.

well, that sure s*cks!
heal that adductor belvis up girl and hope to see you back at it soon

Originally posted by PsyTri
Only had a 30 min recovery run planned for this morning. Last night, I wasn't feelin' it because pain/soreness in my ankle tendons. Figured I'd swim in the AM (1st swim in 2 weeks b/c recovering from lower abdominal wall strain) and then pick up the 30 min run in the evening. Could not get out of bed then the sky opened up and poured.

Feeling a lot discouraged by my recurrent ankle issues. Trying to figure out which professional to consult. I have a podiatrist for flat feet and pronation - he steered me toward these max control running shoes (Brooks Beast), which have worked fine. But, I feel like I need an assessment of my gait/foot strike/ankle/joints, etc. that extends beyond podiatry. Any ideas what discipline would be good? Sports medicine? Exercise physiology? Chiropractor? Orthopedist? I want a better picture of what's going on and some frank feedback about any limitations and accommodations.

wish I could help guide you to the right expert, but I'm not really sure myself...
podiatrist would seem to best be able to tell you about any orthotic needs and muscle imbalances-that can be attended to by approriate strength and stretching once known

soreness in the achille's can be very tricky so the only thing I'd say for sure is to stay away from dynammic/plyometric exercises

lower abdominal strain aside, swimming is really good as a nonimpact exercise and can help keep fitness when running is too hard on the body
good luck with it and let us know how it's going

Originally posted by popsracerp>

Sorry about your strain. Be careful and ease back in when you can.

----------

Tonight was 50 degrees and no wind for my track workout. It felt almost balmy compared to the last weeks. Had a really good session with my 400's at 1:28 average. Down four seconds from last week at roughly the same RPE. Pulling back on my easy run yesterday seemed to help as I didn't feel the fatigue that had been creeping in. Tomorrow will be super easy to setup my medium long run Thursday.

And thanks again Dale for pulling all this together. You are a wealth of information and a great motivator.

I started with my 5k based VDOT which actually had me at about 1:35. Over the last month or so my pace for the same RPE has consistently dropped. I probably should be increasing my reps since I am only going 6 with full recovery but I'm being really cautious with volume. I set my R-pace volume based on 5% of weekly total of 30 miles. That has gone up to 40 so I should be doing 8 reps and backing off to the proper VDOT pace. Just kind of went with it this week. Whether I'm doing 200's or 400's, I jog for recovery the same distance that I just ran.

There were about 50 people on the track last night so I think I also get pulled along by their energy. Lots of good college and club runners there. I use the Universities track.

Thanks Adrienne. I know I was creeping into the too fast zone for the workout especially the first few which were like 1:26. It's why I don't train with a group. Just the other folks on the track at the same time was getting into my head.

Steve
Adrienne is absolutely correct in that you need to be very careful with reps that are too fast. That is EXACTLY what can tip you over the edge into another injury. Keep the pace at the correct zone-seriously...

Adding a few more can be done, cautiously, if your volume allows, but be vigilant for any signs of discomfort before it is too late. Don't get sucked in by faster runners. Know what your goal workout pace is and hit it.

And as has been said before, if it seems too easy in training-go race and prove your fitness is truly better.

Edited by dtoce 2014-01-15 5:08 PM
2014-01-15 5:31 PM

User image

Ran 10.1 frosty miles tonight, the cold weather is returning.
New Thread
Other Resources Challenge Me! » January 100 Mile Run Challenge! Rss Feed  

of 12

RELATED POSTS

Resolution Run January 2012 Run Challenge Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11

Started by van_paulus
Views: 18321 Posts: 262

2012-02-02 10:11 PM van_paulus

Swim Challenge - 100 Miles! Pages: 1 2 3

Started by benihana
Views: 13639 Posts: 51

2014-01-06 1:56 PM midwesttrimom

January - Swim + Run Challenge? Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by CalgaryRunner
Views: 8223 Posts: 84

2007-02-06 12:44 AM CalgaryRunner

July 100+ Running Challenge! Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5

Started by Daremo
Views: 10499 Posts: 102

2006-08-02 7:36 AM Daremo

The 100+ mile club - July running studs/studettes ..... Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by Daremo
Views: 10914 Posts: 84

2006-07-19 7:38 PM celena
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 15, 2013
author : JeffY
comments : 0
JeffY reviews this rear water bottle carrier on a variety of saddles.

date : February 1, 2012
author : XLAB Hydration
comments : 2
Less drag than frame bottles
date : April 14, 2011
author : Troy Jacobson
What is the difference between a recovery ride and junk miles?

date : September 15, 2008
author : lcthomas74
Soon after I got married, I decided I needed to get motivated to work out and focus on getting back into shape. I could barely jog a quarter-mile without needing a walk break.
date : October 9, 2007
author : dr_forbush
comments : 9
The boat was being tossed around. Someone noted that there were whitecaps on the waves. Another guy said, “This is going to be challenging.” I began to wonder what he meant by 'challenging'.

date : April 2, 2006
author : a.maria
I think quite truly for the first time I 'get it'. It's not just about the fitness. It's not just about the great little endorphin rush as you hit 5, 10, 15 miles...its not just the medal at the end.
date : September 3, 2005
author : infosteward
The Boulder Peak bike course is legendary. It is, literally and named as such, one of the toughest bike legs in the country.

date : August 31, 2004
WAYNESVILLE, Ohio (August 22, 2004) Professional triathlete Felipe Bastos (BRA/USA) took another trip to Ohio this weekend...