Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Running / swimming. on vacation Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply
2013-12-22 5:00 PM

User image

Subject: Running / swimming. on vacation
Sitting and watching the sunset in Jamaica thinking when on vacation who else runs and swims. And if you run do you run outside or a treadmill. I for one love running on the beach as the sunrises. I also like swimming in the ocean as I get strange looks when I do laps in the pool.

2013-12-22 6:36 PM
in reply to: suefesta

User image

Elite
Oliver, BC, "Wine Capital of Canada"
Subject: RE: Running / swimming. on vacation

Do what ever you want, you're on vacation. However I also get strange looks while swimming in the pool... naked.

2013-12-22 6:59 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
I almost always run and/or swim on vacation if I can find anywhere safe to do so and it fits into our plans for the day without impacting others too much. For me it's less a matter of training than another way to experience and explore a place. I usually get up early to run and will do so unless there is too much traffic, we are planning an early start (sometimes the case on bike tours), or I'm in a place where it would be weird for a Western woman to run (i.e. a remote village). I had awesome runs last summer on country roads, along bike paths, and up trails to castles in Austria and Italy, around the Vondelpark in central Amsterdam, and along a canal elsewhere in Holland. Even did a 7-mile run of numerous laps around a tiny park in Shanghai. Parks and bike paths are generally the best bet if not sure where to go. Early AM and evening one can find runners in most places, even in the developing world.

I've done "workouts" in hotel pools in numerous countries. (You can get a workout doing lots of butterfly; it helps to swim early or late in the day if you don't like stares and don't want to bother leisure swimmers.) Occasionally I've found a public pool and joined lap swim there. I have taken a wetsuit on vacation twice. Have had great OWS in Idaho, California, Hawaii, Vietnam, Singapore, Austria, Slovenia, and Italy. I will swim if the water looks clean and calm, locals are out there swimming, and there are lifeguards in evidence. Sports/outdoor stores in most places are a good source of info about safe places for running and, sometimes, OWS. There is also a lot of info online for most places.

Don't recall ever using a treadmill on vacation; occasionally will do so if I'm at a conference for work and can't fit an outdoor run into the day. I run and swim not just for training but because I enjoy it. Not so for the treadmill!

2013-12-23 6:00 AM
in reply to: peby

User image

Master
Bloomington, MN

Originally posted by peby

Do what ever you want, you're on vacation. However I also get strange looks while swimming in the pool... naked.

I almost spit out my coffee!

I workout daily on vacation. It is my time and I enjoy it. Nothing really hard though, just for the "fun" of it. 

2013-12-23 6:49 AM

I have always tried to fit in the gym, if a hotel has one...or running while on vacation. Even 20 or 30 minutes, it can be doable, if you fit it in before your day gets started. But, it's also perfectly OKAY to take a break, too...it's a vacation.
2013-12-23 7:46 AM

User image

I just returned from Jamaica. I had all sorts of intentions to get a least a little exercise in while I was down there. I got one short swim in the ocean in and that was it. It was nice to just relax for the week, but I'm having trouble getting my motivation back now that I'm home

2013-12-23 8:23 AM
in reply to: aalbury

User image

I'll get plenty of running in on my next vacation.

2013-12-23 11:43 AM

User image

I like running on vacation because generally I get to learn about neighborhoods and out of the way places I might never find while in a car

2013-12-23 12:54 PM
in reply to: ChrisM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
Originally posted by ChrisM

I like running on vacation because generally I get to learn about neighborhoods and out of the way places I might never find while in a car

Having running-specific amenities seems to be getting more common. I've been to a few hotels that handed out maps of the area with route maps for specific distances (1 mile, 3, miles, 5 miles, etc.) and one or two that had towels and bottled water available at the front desk or in the lobby.

Hotel pools aren't usually so great for laps unless you're out there really really early, but sometimes you get lucky. My most memorable swim was in an outdoor pool in Montreal in February. To enter the pool, you climbed down a ladder into a tank inside the locker room, then swam through an opening underwater to get outside. It was below zero but the pool was heated and I swam for about an hour late at night, with huge clouds of steam billowing off the water. It was pretty cool.
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Running / swimming. on vacation Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Vacation homes versus vacations Pages: 1 2

Started by BikerGrrrl
Views: 3866 Posts: 48

2012-01-05 3:00 PM Chuckhead

Cheating bf & vacation - Part II Pages: 1 2

Started by LaurenSU02
Views: 1654 Posts: 32

2005-11-28 8:16 PM foolproof

Cheating bf & vacation Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by LaurenSU02
Views: 3899 Posts: 84

2005-11-20 9:32 PM Elly

Christmas Vacation!!

Started by Lucy
Views: 726 Posts: 15

2005-10-27 9:26 AM SMUJD

Training while on Vacation

Started by ecline217
Views: 579 Posts: 2

2005-09-13 4:33 PM cityplannerx
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 28, 2012
author : greggseltzer
comments : 6
Why barefoot running is not suited for the average runner.

date : April 14, 2010
author : mikericci
comments : 2
Unlike the running or biking portions which seem to have some long rides or runs as an ongoing part the swimming program involves a lot of shorter intervals with short rests in between. Explain?
date : February 22, 2010
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
Discussions on using the weekends for a long bike and run, good running cadence, Ironman swimming, importance of kick drills and swim cadence.

date : August 13, 2008
author : eschmits
After I left the running store, I couldn't stop thinking about the sprint tri and how much of a challenge it would be for me. So instead of joining a gym, I started riding my bike and it felt great.
date : October 17, 2004
author : jhealy422
My sister warned me about being used as a launch ramp by faster swimmers but much to my surprise I was the one swimming over those in front of me. I went around one woman, then another.

date : September 10, 2004
author : steve
Well its the middle of winter and there is 5 inches of snow on the ground and I am too cheap to buy a gym membership and take spinning classes, so what do I do?
date : September 4, 2004
author : priscilla
Going to the pool for a workout doesn’t always have to be about swimming, especially not for a triathlete.

date : August 28, 2004
author : Ron
What training program is best for you given your background? Is it a Sprint, Olympic or an Ironman Program?